Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

My Career Dilemma - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Career Dilemma (10535 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / I'm Caught In A Career Dilemma And Don't Know What To Do / Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Career Dilemma by Jeffflo: 10:28am On Aug 30, 2014
AjanleKoko:

You need to graduate first bro wink

LOL!

Earnestly working on it, sir. In the meanwhile, i have no intention of being tackled into submission by the labour market. The horror stories i've heard of ehn....
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 7:33pm On Aug 30, 2014
AjanleKoko:

The most important thing, for anybody looking to work with a degree, is to get a good degree.
No need to deceive yourself.

Also there is no 'honeypot' in telecommunications. I've been working in the industry for 13 years now. It's just jobs.
Experience is way more important than certifications. Get a good degree, then use the good degree to look for good opportunities. really good opportunities are very very few in Nigeria. Simples.

Contradicting your self! - You would need eyes for details. Apparently you did not read my post carefully.

Do have a nice day!.
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 8:10pm On Aug 30, 2014
Jeffflo:

LOL!

Earnestly working on it, sir. In the meanwhile, i have no intention of being tackled into submission by the labour market. The horror stories i've heard of ehn....

How well are you doing at school?

In fact, quick edit. I didn't see where you typed what you're studying.
What are you studying?
Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 8:14pm On Aug 30, 2014
AjanleKoko:

How well are you doing at school?

Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 8:23pm On Aug 30, 2014
Skywalker5:

Well . . . number one weapon for tackling the labor market, if you are looking for degree-level employment, is a good degree.
That's why I'm asking.
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 9:45am On Aug 31, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Well . . . number one weapon for tackling the labor market, if you are looking for degree-level employment, is a good degree
AjanleKoko:

The most important thing, for anybody looking to work with a degree, is to get a good degree.
No need to deceive yourself.
Also there is no 'honeypot' in telecommunications. I've been working in the industry for 13 years now. It's just jobs.
Experience is way more important than certifications. Get a good degree, then use the good degree to look for good opportunities. really good opportunities are very very few in Nigeria. Simples.

So Looking at the above in Bold... What is your point really? A good degree? or Experience? lol what are you really arguing about.

And which of my points are you trying to counter ? STOP contradicting your self
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 11:44am On Aug 31, 2014
Mellorix:

So Looking at the above in Bold... What is your point really? A good degree? or Experience? lol what are you really arguing about.

And which of my points are you trying to counter ? STOP contradicting your self

The only way to get good experience is to get an opportunity to work in a solid organization.
The only way to get into a solid organization in Nigeria is to have a good degree. You can't get experience by writing certification exams in school. Mostly certifications won't get you into those organizations.

How will you get into any of the big telcos, or any of the companies like Accenture, Computer Warehouse, Telnet, Resourcery, BCX, Netpune Software, TechMahindra, Comviva,etc, or any of the OEMs like Ericsson, ALU, Cisco, MS, IBM, Oracle,without a good degree, or good work experience? Where will you get good work experience if you don't get the chance to work somewhere that'll give you the required training + exposure that sums up to experience?

If you don't understand something you should ask. Rather than trying to make smart remarks on Nairaland undecided

3 Likes

Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 12:58pm On Aug 31, 2014
AjanleKoko:

The only way to get good experience is to get an opportunity to work in a solid organization.
The only way to get into a solid organization in Nigeria is to have a good degree. You can't get experience by writing certification exams in school. Mostly certifications won't get you into those organizations.

How will you get into any of the big telcos, or any of the companies like Accenture, Computer Warehouse, Telnet, Resourcery, BCX, Netpune Software, TechMahindra, Comviva,etc, or any of the OEMs like Ericsson, ALU, Cisco, MS, IBM, Oracle,without a good degree, or good work experience? Where will you get good work experience if you don't get the chance to work somewhere that'll give you the required training + exposure that sums up to experience?

If you don't understand something you should ask. Rather than trying to make smart remarks on Nairaland undecided

cry
Re: My Career Dilemma by Feex: 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2014
Mellorix:

cry
I didn't mean to interfere but I think you are the one being unnecessarily strong headed here. It's quite simple and clear. AjanleKoko is right.
Re: My Career Dilemma by nitrogen(m): 1:29pm On Aug 31, 2014
AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Experience superceeds other shitties, as much as I like certifications, am putting everything on hold for now, in order to get the necessary which is 'experience'.
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 1:42pm On Aug 31, 2014
Feex:
I didn't mean to interfere but I think you are the one being unnecessarily strong headed here. It's quite simple and clear. AjanleKoko is right.

@Feex
You didn't mean to interfere, but you just interfered ! - OK first let me explain - Please chose one who you will employ from the below.

Candidate A: Graduated with 2.1 . With no experience and no certification - Applied to your company for a Graduate Engineer

Candidate B: Graduated with 2.1 with 6 IT Certifications(which he attained while in the university) and NO experience - Applied to your company for a Graduate Engineer .

Who will you employ? - Please pick wisely -

Before you interfere you might need to scroll up and find out my point before pock-nosing!

Thank you.
Re: My Career Dilemma by Feex: 1:51pm On Aug 31, 2014
Mellorix:

@Feex
You didn't mean to interfere, but you just interfered ! - OK first let me explain - Please chose one who you will employ from the below.

Candidate A: Graduated with 2.1 . With no experience and no certification - Applied to your company for a Graduate Engineer

Candidate B: Graduated with 2.1 with 6 IT Certifications(which he attained while in the university) and NO experience - Applied to your company for a Graduate Engineer .

Who will you employ? - Please pick wisely -

Before you interfere you might need to scroll up and find out my point before pock-nosing!

Thank you.
Lol cheesy
You are definitely not used to corporate world. I have seen candidates with first class + MSc bounced for 'ordinary' 2.1 candidates.
I can not answer that question on face value. Their performance in the interview will determine who will get the job. One thing you need to know his that most employers don't expect too much from fresh graduates. They just need a smart and intelligent graduate who is ready to learn. They know that you will have to learn on the job irrespective of your 'paper' certifications.

3 Likes

Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
Feex:
Lol cheesy
You are definitely not used to corporate world. I have seen candidates with first class + MSc bounced for 'ordinary' 2.1 candidates.
I can not answer that question on face value. Their performance in the interview will determine who will get the job. One thing you need to know his that most employers don't expect too much from fresh graduates. They just need a smart and intelligent graduate who is ready to learn. They know that you will have to learn on the job irrespective of your 'paper' certifications.

If you think employers DONT expect too much from a fresh graduate then i think you dont know what the present job market in Nigeria is saying. Take few mins to search on the internet ("graduate roles in Nigeria"wink and see the enormous requirements.

Do you know how many unemployed graduates are in Nigeria On what qualities do you think they are being screened?

AND If you cant answer my simple verbal reasoning question above then unfortunately i wouldnt have any further conversation with you at this time. I will have you in mind for any further conversation.Thank you for commenting.

1 Like

Re: My Career Dilemma by Feex: 2:17pm On Aug 31, 2014
Mellorix:

If you think employers DONT expect too much from a fresh graduate then i think you dont know what the present job market in Nigeria is saying. Take few mins to search on the internet ("graduate roles in Nigeria"wink and see the enormous requirements.

Do you know how many unemployed graduates are in Nigeria On what qualities do you think they are being screened?

AND If you cant answer my simple verbal reasoning question above then unfortunately i wouldnt have any further conversation with you at this time. I will have you in mind for any further conversation.Thank you for commenting.
Alright, keep wasting your precious time and money on irrelevant certifications instead of dusting your CV and searching for a real job. I comment no further
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 8:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
Mellorix:

As Yorubas say 'Omode ni n se oo' undecided. Literally translated, na small pickin dey worry you.

Sebi you said you have graduated long time ago, tell us how many certifications you did while in the university, and how that helped you to secure a job sharply, upon leaving school.

Don't forget to mention the name of the company, so others like the fellow you are advising here can take your advice and apply there with their certifications. Who doesn't want a job right out of school? cheesy
Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 9:15pm On Aug 31, 2014
Feex:
Alright, keep wasting your precious time and money on irrelevant certifications instead of dusting your CV and searching for a real job. I comment no further

Irrelevant Certifications in IT? Really?
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 11:49am On Sep 01, 2014
Skywalker5:

@skywalker5 , I am sure These guys are not in IT that's why they have these archaic opinion .
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikeyj: 11:55am On Sep 01, 2014
This exactly why people look for jobs for 10 years and blame the devil lol . i cant imagine someone saying Certifications are irrelevant..

bros you need to step up your game oh @Feex
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 12:05pm On Sep 01, 2014
Mellorix:

@skywalker5 , I am sure These guys are not in IT that's why they have these archaic opinion .

I was in IT long before some of you guys got admission to school.
And I am still waiting for your response re the below

AjanleKoko:
As Yorubas say 'Omode ni n se oo' undecided. Literally translated, na small pickin dey worry you.
Sebi you said you have graduated long time ago, tell us how many certifications you did while in the university, and how that helped you to secure a job sharply, upon leaving school.
Don't forget to mention the name of the company, so others like the fellow you are advising here can take your advice and apply there with their certifications. Who doesn't want a job right out of school? cheesy
Re: My Career Dilemma by temi4fash(m): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
AjanleKoko:

And I am still waiting for your response re the below

So sir, what would you advise a young graduate who wants to break into the IT industry. Which way to go during those days when employment is not forthcoming

2 Likes

Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 12:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
AjanleKoko:

And your point is?
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 12:26pm On Sep 01, 2014
temi4fash: So sir, what would you advise a young graduate who wants to break into the IT industry. Which way to go during those days when employment is not forthcoming

Good question... Now over to you @AjanleKoko
Re: My Career Dilemma by temi4fash(m): 12:29pm On Sep 01, 2014
D way you guys are attacking the man self I don't understand oo. Mr Ajanlekeko has been on the forum a long time and has got the experience I give that to him. If he says something you not comfortable with been aggressive is not the solution. Let ask him the way forward not been aggressive and a lil disrespectful. Sowi for the epistle. Mr ajanlekeko pls help with ma question..

1 Like

Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 12:33pm On Sep 01, 2014
temi4fash: D way you guys are attacking the man self I don't understand oo. Mr Ajanlekeko has been on the forum a long time and has got the experience I give that to him. If he says something you not comfortable with been aggressive is not the solution. Let ask him the way forward not been aggressive and a lil disrespectful. Sowi for the epistle. Mr ajanlekeko pls help with ma question..

No one is attacking - Anyways lets wait for his response to your question!. grin
Re: My Career Dilemma by Feex: 12:42pm On Sep 01, 2014
mikeyj: This exactly why people look for jobs for 10 years and blame the devil lol . i cant imagine someone saying Certifications are irrelevant..
bros you need to step up your game oh @Feex
Skywalker5:

No wonder you guys like you and Mellorix are still in the labour despite the number of 'certifications' you have garnered. You can't comprehend simple English. Did I write that IT certifications are irrelevant? Did you even read what I wrote in the first instance? Did you read the line of argument?
People with low comprehensive ability like you can not pass a simple job aptitude test. You can scale dragnet.

I will comment no further on this
Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 1:34pm On Sep 01, 2014
Feex:

No wonder you guys like you and Mellorix are still in the labour despite the number of 'certifications' you have garnered. You can't comprehend simple English. Did I write that IT certifications are irrelevant? Did you even read what I wrote in the first instance? Did you read the line of argument?
People with low comprehensive ability like you can not pass a simple job aptitude test. You can scale dragnet.

I will comment no further on this

Lol. Take it easy. I understand you are frustrated with the job market in Nigeria but don't take it out on me. Its not my fault.Not everyone on Nairaland is jobless.

Feex:

Let me ask the same question in a different way. Which certifications are irrelevant in IT?
Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 1:39pm On Sep 01, 2014
temi4fash: D way you guys are attacking the man self I don't understand oo. Mr Ajanlekeko has been on the forum a long time and has got the experience I give that to him. If he says something you not comfortable with been aggressive is not the solution. Let ask him the way forward not been aggressive and a lil disrespectful. Sowi for the epistle. Mr ajanlekeko pls help with ma question..

I did not attack anyone. I think it's a bit disrespectful if he is trying to look down on people just because he has been in the IT industry longer than others. I might be reading it wrong which is why i asked the question in response to his post below

AjanleKoko:

I am just trying to understand where he is coming from.
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 2:44pm On Sep 01, 2014
Mellorix:

Good question... Now over to you @AjanleKoko

Why don't you answer? Thought you knew it all undecided

Anyway . . .
temi4fash: So sir, what would you advise a young graduate who wants to break into the IT industry. Which way to go during those days when employment is not forthcoming

The ICT Industry in Nigeria (note I modified the term to include communications)has a reasonably wide scope. There are different categories of ICT jobs in Nigeria. I'd broadly classify under 5 categories:

1. In Computer Village, selling accessories, doing basic installations, repairs, etc., for the consumer and SME market. This could even be an itinerant freelance computer engineer or software developer doing basic stuff by himself/herself.

2. In small IT companies, doing system installation, cabling, LAN/WAN, helpdesk services, software development, implementation and support, for small and medium companies.

3. In medium and large system integrator-type companies, doing essentially the same thing as 2. Difference however is that the medium and large integrator companies have a lot of OEM relationships, and they typically manage the bigger projects, and work with bigger clientele (medium and large organizations).

4. Working in service providers (telcos, ISPs), managing their infrastructure, which they use to provide their services. Fixed or mobile voice, or Internet, or nowadays even cloud services.

5. Working for OEMs as sales/pre-sales technology people, account managers, system or software engineers, etc. Generally in Nigeria OEMS do not have a lot of in-country technical manpower, they employ mostly pre-sales, sales, and account management people.

To 'break into' the IT industry, you will need to 'break' into any of 1 to 5.
It's probably easy to decipher that 3-5 hold the largest career prospects, which include remuneration, training, exposure, and career progression. 1 and 2 are necessary evils that sometimes you need to pass through, in order to get to 3-5.

Now for what qualifications (or experience) you typically need to 'break' into 1-5:

- For 1: No qualifications required, just somebody willing to take you on in some sort of apprenticeship. Or if you are a self-starter, you can learn by yourself. In these days of YouTube, there are tutorials on just about anything.

- For 2: You need to have some level of experience or knowledge with 1, to be considered for employment in 2. That's the usual practice, because people here are very cost-sensitive and need people that can immediately add value to their bottom line.

- For 3: You need the following here usually: (a) A relevant tertiary qualification. (b) Evidence of experience in 2.
Certifications are definitely complementary here, but without a or b, you will struggle to get a place in a Telnet, or Resourcery, or Computer Warehouse, or WECO Systems, etc. Those are typical category 3 companies.

- For 4: This one is very interesting. It depends on the type of service provider. But generally you need (a) A relevant tertiary qualification. (b) Evidence of experience in 2 or 3, or particularly 4.

Certifications are not very relevant here. For example in the service provider where I work, you have a CCIE reporting to someone who has no
vendor certification. Experience is the most important currency in the telco or ISP environment.

- For 5: It usually gets worse here. You need a very good relevant tertiary qualification, plus experience, usually in 3, and certification is an added bonus. However, many of the OEMS in Nigeria don't even have large technical teams, as they have channel partners who are in category 3. Most OEMs presence in Nigeria is to generate business, not to execute.

Now let me attempt to answer your question after all the long turenchi. wink
Most people see IT as some kind of getaway route, and they can just use certifications to augment and jump into a job. Actually this has worked in the past, in the 90s. When MCSE was virtually unknown, people actually used MCSE certifications to land foreign jobs from Nigeria. But that time has passed, and IT is way more structured. That's why I went to all that trouble of outlining 1-5 for you.

If you are in school the first assignment for you is to get a good degree. The very good opportunities in ICT in Nigeria (categories 3-5) are very highly competitive. They typically expect the best graduates from CS or electronic engineering, and people compete fiercely for any entry positions available. Certification without requisite experience means little to these guys, for two reasons. One is, they are top-heavy with OEM certifications. Secondly, they only value experience, in the absence of which they need really smart guys that they can train.

If you are out of school, then you have to think a little differently. Technical career path is not the only career path in ICT. You can also explore either a project/program management + IT Governance route, or you can explore a career from a purely sales perspective. It all depends on what is available to you.

From this thread, it's quite apparent that most Nigerians do not really understand the makeup of the ICT industry in Nigeria. That's understandable, if you're forming impressions from outside, and also from hearsay. The truth is that ICT isn't fundamentally different from any other industry. In fact, basic ICT skills are now an integral requirement for many professionals all over the world. I hope all of this info actually helps someone.

7 Likes

Re: My Career Dilemma by temi4fash(m): 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Why don't you answer? Thought you knew it all undecided

Anyway . . .

The ICT Industry in Nigeria (note I modified the term to include communications)has a reasonably wide scope. There are different categories of ICT jobs in Nigeria. I'd broadly classify under 5 categories:

1. In Computer Village, selling accessories, doing basic installations, repairs, etc., for the consumer and SME market. This could even be an itinerant freelance computer engineer or software developer doing basic stuff by himself/herself.

2. In small IT companies, doing system installation, cabling, LAN/WAN, helpdesk services, software development, implementation and support, for small and medium companies.

3. In medium and large system integrator-type companies, doing essentially the same thing as 2. Difference however is that the medium and large integrator companies have a lot of OEM relationships, and they typically manage the bigger projects, and work with bigger clientele (medium and large organizations).

4. Working in service providers (telcos, ISPs), managing their infrastructure, which they use to provide their services. Fixed or mobile voice, or Internet, or nowadays even cloud services.

5. Working for OEMs as sales/pre-sales technology people, account managers, system or software engineers, etc. Generally in Nigeria OEMS do not have a lot of in-country technical manpower, they employ mostly pre-sales, sales, and account management people.

To 'break into' the IT industry, you will need to 'break' into any of 1 to 5.
It's probably easy to decipher that 3-5 hold the largest career prospects, which include remuneration, training, exposure, and career progression. 1 and 2 are necessary evils that sometimes you need to pass through, in order to get to 3-5.

Now for what qualifications (or experience) you typically need to 'break' into 1-5:

- For 1: No qualifications required, just somebody willing to take you on in some sort of apprenticeship. Or if you are a self-starter, you can learn by yourself. In these days of YouTube, there are tutorials on just about anything.

- For 2: You need to have some level of experience or knowledge with 1, to be considered for employment in 2. That's the usual practice, because people here are very cost-sensitive and need people that can immediately add value to their bottom line.

- For 3: You need the following here usually: (a) A relevant tertiary qualification. (b) Evidence of experience in 2.
Certifications are definitely complementary here, but without a or b, you will struggle to get a place in a Telnet, or Resourcery, or Computer Warehouse, or WECO Systems, etc. Those are typical category 3 companies.

- For 4: This one is very interesting. It depends on the type of service provider. But generally you need (a) A relevant tertiary qualification. (b) Evidence of experience in 2 or 3, or particularly 4.

Certifications are not very relevant here. For example in the service provider where I work, you have a CCIE reporting to someone who has no
vendor certification. Experience is the most important currency in the telco or ISP environment.

- For 5: It usually gets worse here. You need a very good relevant tertiary qualification, plus experience, usually in 3, and certification is an added bonus. However, many of the OEMS in Nigeria don't even have large technical teams, as they have channel partners who are in category 3. Most OEMs presence in Nigeria is to generate business, not to execute.

Now let me attempt to answer your question after all the long turenchi. wink
Most people see IT as some kind of getaway route, and they can just use certifications to augment and jump into a job. Actually this has worked in the past, in the 90s. When MCSE was virtually unknown, people actually used MCSE certifications to land foreign jobs from Nigeria. But that time has passed, and IT is way more structured. That's why I went to all that trouble of outlining 1-5 for you.

If you are in school the first assignment for you is to get a good degree. The very good opportunities in ICT in Nigeria (categories 3-5) are very highly competitive. They typically expect the best graduates from CS or electronic engineering, and people compete fiercely for any entry positions available. Certification without requisite experience means little to these guys, for two reasons. One is, they are top-heavy with OEM certifications. Secondly, they only value experience, in the absence of which they need really smart guys that they can train.

If you are out of school, then you have to think a little differently. Technical career path is not the only career path in ICT. You can also explore either a project/program management + IT Governance route, or you can explore a career from a purely sales perspective. It all depends on what is available to you.

From this thread, it's quite apparent that most Nigerians do not really understand the makeup of the ICT industry in Nigeria. That's understandable, if you're forming impressions from outside, and also from hearsay. The truth is that ICT isn't fundamentally different from any other industry. In fact, basic ICT skills are now an integral requirement for many professionals all over the world. I hope all of this info actually helps someone.
thanks sir... Had to read and is still re-reading.. What's happens to those that have gone to a tertiary institution and came out with a 2.2 or lower credit. What's happens?? How do they move from your candid experience.
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 4:54pm On Sep 01, 2014
temi4fash: thanks sir... Had to read and is still re-reading.. What's happens to those that have gone to a tertiary institution and came out with a 2.2 or lower credit. What's happens?? How do they move from your candid experience.

Good question.
My recommendation should be that you focus on getting into a category 2 company, worst case category 1. You need to get the skills, even if you go for training or acquire any vendor certifications.

My personal experience: I graduated with a 2.2 in the 90s.
You might think that it was easier back then, but in my opinion it was a lot more difficult. And there was little or no certification to speak of.
When I completed NYSC, I tried to get into some of those category 3 companies, with very little success. They only recruited top students of EE, CE, and CS (first class and 2:1).

I eventually was able to squeeze into a category 2 company, specializing in software development at the time.
While at that organization (earning a shi.tty salary), I started my masters degree in EE during that period. But more importantly, I did a development project that exposed me to biometrics and chip-card technology. That proved to be invaluable experience, as I was able to get a job not long after, with the only payment system provider in the country at the time.

I stayed with them until GSM started in 2001, following which I moved to telecom. However, the very important difference that made for me was that, I got enough training (local and international), vendor certifications (paid for by my company), and exposure (various hi-tech projects). When the GSM companies arrived in '01, people like me easily picked up positions. In fact I got jobs at both the two players that were licensed at the time, within days of each other. Probably that is why I don't think certifications worth the trouble without experience.

My advice to you is: Don't think about the labour market too much. Focus on where you want to go, and be realistic about how you're going to get there. There are really no short cuts. It's either you do the work in school, or after school.

3 Likes

Re: My Career Dilemma by temi4fash(m): 5:25pm On Sep 01, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Good question.
My recommendation should be that you focus on getting into a category 2 company, worst case category 1. You need to get the skills, even if you go for training or acquire any vendor certifications.

My personal experience: I graduated with a 2.2 in the 90s.
You might think that it was easier back then, but in my opinion it was a lot more difficult. And there was little or no certification to speak of.
When I completed NYSC, I tried to get into some of those category 3 companies, with very little success. They only recruited top students of EE, CE, and CS (first class and 2:1).

I eventually was able to squeeze into a category 2 company, specializing in software development at the time.
While at that organization (earning a shi.tty salary), I started my masters degree in EE during that period. But more importantly, I did a development project that exposed me to biometrics and chip-card technology. That proved to be invaluable experience, as I was able to get a job not long after, with the only payment system provider in the country at the time.

I stayed with them until GSM started in 2001, following which I moved to telecom. However, the very important difference that made for me was that, I got enough training (local and international), vendor certifications (paid for by my company), and exposure (various hi-tech projects). When the GSM companies arrived in '01, people like me easily picked up positions. In fact I got jobs at both the two players that were licensed at the time, within days of each other. Probably that is why I don't think certifications worth the trouble without experience.

My advice to you is: Don't think about the labour market too much. Focus on where you want to go, and be realistic about how you're going to get there. There are really no short cuts. It's either you do the work in school, or after school.
Thanks very much for your time sir. More grace to your elbow. Sir, you have really explained some very cogent points. Sir, what will say to some considering M.sc after school would that in any way broaden their chances for companies in category 3 - 5. I know for a fact from reading and surfing online that some industries prefers M,sc holders in some cases e.g oil and gas. Would you say the same for the ICT sector. And what are the area you would recommend with the current trend in the sector. Thanks again. Sorry for the many questions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Download Free Petroleum Reservoir Simulation Software / The Prostitution In The Nigerian Banking Sector / B.sc In Mathematics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.