Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,417 members, 7,781,209 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:41 AM

What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? (2355 Views)

Choosing Between Nokia android and windows Phones / How Good Are Windows Phones? / Windows Phones Vs Android Phones, Which Is Better... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by manosteel(m): 11:43am On Sep 21, 2012
When you ask questions, you may look silly but when you don't ask questions, you may stay silly. So permit me to ask, What is the difference between windows based smart phones and non windows smart phones? Atleast I want to know good reasons why i should discard my ordinary smart phone and go for windows based phones. Your response is appreciated.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by jedisco(m): 8:59am On Sep 23, 2012
The main difference is the operating system (OS) it runs. Windows phones run windows phone OS. Other smartphone OSes include Symbian, Android, iOS and BBOS.

The OS is just like Windows 7 or Windows XP if you're referring to PCs.

On phones, the OS determines the user interface (UI) of the phone, the apps you use, the phones you buy and a whole lot of other things.

Now to WP OS. The most recent version is WP8 which is based on Windows OS. I will use thesame metro interface as Windows 8 on PCs and Windows 8 RT on Windows tablets.

On a more technical part, its a well advanced OS as it uses thesame kernel as Windows 8 on a computer and also supports DirectX. In simple terms, these will ensure it will get advanced apps and games.

As regards the UI, it has a very interesting, unique, easy to use, fast, advanced and colourful UI. The UI essentially combines the easy-to-use and fast nature of iOS with the advanced and customizable UI of android. This effectively combines the advantages of both and to me its the best, most suitable and most advanced currently.

Finally, as regards the hardware. WP8 currently has the most unique and exciting hardware around.
First its phones come in multiple vibrant colours and you can even change it on some (Lumia 820). Apart from that, its flagship device which is the Nokia Lumia 920 currently has the most advanced display, the most advanced camera, the most advanced mapping or navigation system and much better battery life that its competitors. It also has other nice features like a solid and beautiful build, wireless charging, NFC support and a curved screen.

In essence, I think I've been able to give you a good summary of windows phone operating system and the latest version in particular.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by OlaAjia(m): 7:15am On Oct 03, 2012
jedisco: ... Apart from that, its flagship device which is the Nokia Lumia 920 currently has the most advanced display, the most advanced camera, the most advanced mapping or navigation system and much better battery life that its competitors.

Lumia 920 is not the WP8 flagship device, it is Nokia's flagship device. Nokia =/= WP8

When OSes and UIs get to a certain level of fluidity, adjudging one as the best becomes an exercise in futility. The fact is that the perception of UIs is a matter of user experience and this is obviously very subjective. That said, I think the iOS is a bit obsolete as it leaves no room for surface customization, kind of bland. I like the Android OS as it is the most customizable in the market today, but Andriod is rather harsh on hardware and thus, depends on battery zapping features such as quad-core to give optimal user experience. Never touched WP7 or 8, but I understand they are both light on Hardware and maintain a lot of fluidity. This could be a deal breaker for me, as I am willing to put my quid on the WP8 powered Lumia 920 device.

Also, I'm in love with the new Monster purity pro headsets (BH-940) as I am a bluetooth headset junkie, and what better way is there to enjoy a headset than to use one that perfectly matches your phone in style.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by jedisco(m): 9:59am On Oct 03, 2012
OlaAjia:

Lumia 920 is not the WP8 flagship device, it is Nokia's flagship device. Nokia =/= WP8

When OSes and UIs get to a certain level of fluidity, adjudging one as the best becomes an exercise in futility. The fact is that the perception of UIs is a matter of user experience and this is obviously very subjective. That said, I think the iOS is a bit obsolete as it leaves no room for surface customization, kind of bland. I like the Android OS as it is the most customizable in the market today, but Andriod is rather harsh on hardware and thus, depends on battery zapping features such as quad-core to give optimal user experience. Never touched WP7 or 8, but I understand they are both light on Hardware and maintain a lot of fluidity. This could be a deal breaker for me, as I am willing to put my quid on the WP8 powered Lumia 920 device.

Also, I'm in love with the new Monster purity pro headsets (BH-940) as I am a bluetooth headset junkie, and what better way is there to enjoy a headset than to use one that perfectly matches your phone in style.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by jedisco(m): 10:00am On Oct 03, 2012
OlaAjia:

As of the time I wrote that, the HTC phones had not yet been released and Lumia series were being considered as flagships. Even now that the HTCs have been put as the official flagships by Microsoft, the Lumias are undoubtedly the more popular option and are still considered as the elite group of WP to many.
With 'Lumia' being a more popular search term than 'windows phone', its safe to say that the only reason alot of people know about WP is cos of the Lumia series as WP never got into alot of major markets until they arrived.
So Lumia is to WP what the galaxy line is to android and what Nokia was to symbian and with well over 50% user base in less than a year, I see no reason for they not to be considered as flagships.

As regards the UI- I agree that its quite subjective and that's why I used the phrase 'to me'. That said, I gave very objective reasons why I consider it as the best as it effectively combines the pros of both android and iOS.

As regards speed, judging OSes based on that has never and will never be an exercise in futility and besides speed wasn't the only feature I listed. Yes for the high-ends the issue of lag may have been reduced that its not so visible in some general tasks, this is not the case with the low-ends where the lag still abounds and the speed of the OS comes into play.
As far as iPhone 6, Galaxy SIV and perhaps Lumia 930 and those after them will be faster than their current iteration, then it still means that there is still alot of room for improvement as far as speed is concerned. If not, why do OEMs still release faster CPUs and more powerfull GPUs?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by sosototo: 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2012
please,

how can one use first mobile (first bank mobile phone platform) on window phones?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by Mcdondayan: 7:34pm On Dec 27, 2012
jedisco:

As of the time I wrote that, the HTC phones had not yet been released and Lumia series were being considered as flagships. Even now that the HTCs have been put as the official flagships by Microsoft, the Lumias are undoubtedly the more popular option and are still considered as the elite group of WP to many.
With 'Lumia' being a more popular search term than 'windows phone', its safe to say that the only reason alot of people know about WP is cos of the Lumia series as WP never got into alot of major markets until they arrived.
So Lumia is to WP what the galaxy line is to android and what Nokia was to symbian and with well over 50% user base in less than a year, I see no reason for they not to be considered as flagships.

As regards the UI- I agree that its quite subjective and that's why I used the phrase 'to me'. That said, I gave very objective reasons why I consider it as the best as it effectively combines the pros of both android and iOS.

As regards speed, judging OSes based on that has never and will never be an exercise in futility and besides speed wasn't the only feature I listed. Yes for the high-ends the issue of lag may have been reduced that its not so visible in some general tasks, this is not the case with the low-ends where the lag still abounds and the speed of the OS comes into play.
As far as iPhone 6, Galaxy SIV and perhaps Lumia 930 and those after them will be faster than their current iteration, then it still means that there is still alot of room for improvement as far as speed is concerned. If not, why do OEMs still release faster CPUs and more powerfull GPUs?
pls i need your assistance in the choice of phone to buy. mcdondayan@yahoo.com
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by jedisco(m): 9:15pm On Dec 27, 2012
Mcdondayan:

What options are you considering?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by jedisco(m): 9:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
*double post deleted*
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by jedisco(m): 11:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Mcdondayan:
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by emmysharp(m): 5:15am On Aug 14, 2013
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by emmysharp(m): 5:27pm On Aug 16, 2013
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Windows Phones And Non-Windows Smart Phones? by emmysharp(m): 5:48pm On Aug 16, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Nokia 5230 On The Go / We Sell All Kinds Of Phones, Iphones, Blackberry's Tecno Phantom 07085434741 / How Long Does It Take Carlcare To Fix A Brick Tecno Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.