Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,171 members, 7,807,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype (120274 Views)

Wife Divorce Husband Because He Lied About His Genotype / Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple / Her Family Say I Can't Marry Their Daughter Cos We're Both As Genotype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by igodo: 11:13pm On Jan 13, 2008
Could anyone give an answer to this?
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by doubletree(f): 1:03am On Jan 15, 2008
The chances of having children with sickle cell disease is the same as when AS and AS have kids

1 in 4 chance of SC-sickle cell disease but may not be as severe as SS( but they are still sickle cell disease sufferers)
1 in 4 chance of AC
1 in 4 chance of AS
1 in 4 chance of AA-normal genotype

Bottom line is they risk having sicklecell children. just like AS/AS couples

5 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Carlosein(m): 5:56pm On Jan 15, 2008
sorry, what is Ac genotype?

never heard of it before.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by ifyalways(f): 6:23pm On Jan 15, 2008
Carlosein:

sorry, what is Ac genotype?

never heard of it before.
Typo maybe or something new/not very popular undecided
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by doubletree(f): 11:52pm On Jan 15, 2008
Haemoglobin C exists it's not a typo.

It's another haemoglobin variant which in combination with Haemoglobin S results in sickle cell disease.
It's not as common as haemoglobin S

AC is a healthy carrier of Haemoglobin C

@poster why not post this in the health forum,you'll get more responses there.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by debo25(m): 10:20am On Jan 16, 2008
my friend .this issue is deciding on which is best out of joy and sadness.although getting ababy of ss from parent of as and aa is achace but when the chance occur it is the beggining of calamity.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Carlosein(m): 4:05pm On Jan 16, 2008
doubletree:

Haemoglobin C exists it's not a typo.

It's another haemoglobin variant which in combination with Haemoglobin S results in sickle cell disease.
It's not as common as haemoglobin S

AC is a healthy carrier of Haemoglobin C

CC is not compatible with life.
@poster why not post this in the health forum,you'll get more responses there.

thanks for clearing things up doubletree, but can you put up a link where we can get more info on this rare haemoglobin variant please.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Carlosein(m): 4:08pm On Jan 16, 2008
debo25:

my friend .this issue is deciding on which is best out of joy and sadness.although getting ababy of ss from parent of as and aa is achace but when the chance occur it is the beggining of calamity.

debo25, i think you mean parents who are as and as cos i don't think you can get offsprings who are ss from parents who are as and aa.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by doubletree(f): 9:46pm On Jan 16, 2008
@carlosein

my information is from medical books but i found the info below on the uk sickle cell society website

What are haemoglobin SC disease (Hb SC) and Sickle Beta-Thalassaemia (Hb S-Thal)?

These conditions occur when someone inherits sickle haemoglobin (Hb S) from one of their parents and either haemoglobin C or Beta-Thalassaemia from the other parent. The symptoms of these two conditions are often similar to, but usually less severe than, those of sickle cell anaemia. People with Sickle Cell Anaemia, Sickle Beta -Thalassaemia and SC disease can have problems with sight, although this retinopathy is more likely to occur in Hb SC individuals

http://www.sicklecellsociety.org/education/healthpr.htm#anchor209100
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by otokx(m): 11:10am On Jan 17, 2008
So genotype AC exists; am just hearing it for the first time.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by AkoEja: 11:02pm On May 21, 2008
There are many haemoglobin types. Hb A, C , S, thalasaemia, etc.

A person with sickle cell disease can have genotype SS, SC or even CC.

SS suffers more than SC, and SC suffers more than CC, but they all have sicke cell disease.
If somebody has sickle cell trait(he/she is a carrier), he can be AC, or AS.
If two carriers marry, and want to avoid having a baby with sickle cell disease, the baby in the womb can be tested at 11-12 weeks of pregnancy or at 18 weeks of pregnancy, and if the baby is found to be a sickle cell sufferer, the couple can opt to terminate the pregnancy(this is legal in the UK and America, but not so in Nigeria, though its legal to do the test in Nigeria)
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Godalone(m): 12:11pm On May 22, 2008
A man with AC genotype cannot marry a woman with AS genotype,it is very risky.A friend of mine quit a relationship of 3 years after dicovering that the guy has AC genotype while she is AS.Although it took the help of a doctor before the duo got separated,and they both see reasons why they cannot marry each other.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by AkoEja: 4:05pm On May 22, 2008
You say it as if its illegal to marry. they can marry but there is a risk of having a child with sickle cell disease or they can opt for prenatal diagnosis (if they have money) and only keep embryos without sicke cell disease
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Ajebota(f): 4:36pm On May 22, 2008
SC though not as bad as SS is till serious, dont put your child through it! They would still get painful crises every so often.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by AkoEja: 4:52pm On May 22, 2008
Ajebota is right, SC sickler can be quite serious too
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by yinkuso08: 6:06pm On May 22, 2008
AS genotypes bearing children is not advisable. We just buried a family friend's daughter who was 4yrs old last Thursday. 3 of my high school friends also died of this Sickle cell disease. Several people go into marriage without finding out blood types. I am happy that this is finally been addressed openly in Nigeria to the extent that a Yoruba movie was produced for this issue to teach the society. Some people follow the rule of 1 out of 4 with SS and would not mind risking it BUT in so many cases like that of our family friend, they only have 2 children and unfortunatly, both are SS. I know it is tough to seperate when one is in love, but please do not let the love overshadow your future. Not only will your child suffer from endless pain, the parents will also suffer numerous days and nights of crisis and the fear of the unknown. Nothing is as tough as having to bury a child. There is another couple I know who are both AS and have 4 boys with AS genotypes. The wife has terminated 10 pregnancies between each child because they went through the blood test everytime she was 10 weeks pregnant. If the baby was SS, they would terminate. Can you imagine how they must have felt everytime she had to go through that stage?
It is avoidable so please be warned and Open Your Eyes, All the best. wink

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by bolseas(f): 11:24am On Feb 19, 2010
Godalone:

A man with AC genotype cannot marry a woman with AS genotype,it is very risky.A friend of mine quit a relationship of 3 years after dicovering that the guy has AC genotype while she is AS.Although it took the help of a doctor before the duo got separated,and they both see reasons why they cannot marry each other.

i d like to give a personal experience.

my parent took that risk, dis was abt 30 yrs ago. my dad was AS and my mum is AC.  before they got married, they didnt bother to knw abt their genotypes until when my dad discovered  he had diabetics. ofcourse he had to go for medical checkups, tests etc that was when he knew he was AS.

my mum on the other hand got to knw her genotype 5/6 yrs ago. my younger sister (the last born and sixth position) was part of a cultural group in her school. they had a cultural dance at school and of course, she danced like there was no tomorrow.

when she got home, ate, took her bath etc. den slept. when she woke up the following day (Saturday) she couldnt get up. she was in severe pains. my mum then massage her body with hot water and later took her to the hospital. the doctor requested dat some tests including genotype be carried out on her. that was when it was discovered that my younger sister's genotype was SC. the doctor wondered who the C carrier was and requested that my mum should check her genotype. that was when it was dicovered that she is AC.

my younger sister is to consistently use Folic Acid capsules/tablets afterwards.

AC has being existing long before now. atleast my mum will be 50 yrs old come august.

though i still want to know more about this AC/SC genotype so that i can see how i can help them better.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by bolseas(f): 11:25am On Feb 19, 2010
coincidentally, i discussed this issue with a close friend last night.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Nobody: 9:55pm On Feb 20, 2010
I'll like to share my own story,
My Dad's genotype is AC and he got married to my mum whose genotype is AA. We are 4 kids and i'm the only one with the AC genotype while the others are AA. My parents warn me from time to time to get involved with AA for my own benefit and not to let my kids suffer. Which means i can't settle for anything less that AA.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by bolseas(f): 4:39pm On Feb 22, 2010
my sister who is SC only had a crises once which was because she overstretched herself.

it was like a problem discovered, a problem solved.

the moment it was discovered that she is SC (not that she was always sick before partaking in that cultural dance).

after wht happened to her, she ddnt fall sick again or had any other crises.

she is just like any other normal person. infact she doesnt look or behave like some one who is SC. perhaps, she is one lucky SC.

only issue is dont touch her (i.e beat her) otherwise u end up paying hospital bills.

my worry is, wht happens to a couple that are both AC?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Centkaycee(f): 1:08pm On Mar 05, 2010
Education has it that prevention is better than cure.
One cannot carry fire in the bossom and claim it is Ice block.

It is very risky, SS, SC, RR or SR , hospital bill, Ok , Hunger Wahala and peaceless. cry cry cry cry
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by JoeGaruba: 8:14pm On Mar 05, 2010
Being AS myself, I was lucky enough to have known this before leaving secondary school.

I had to invent ways to stylishly find out from my then potential girlfriends and my eventual wife what their genotype was.

My friends and their families wend through a lot of pain. One went as far as making it till she was 30+ but she still lost the battle.

If you truly love that person, don't take the risk.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 23, 2010
I just stumbled on this post. My genotype is AC and my Fiancee is AS. I am seriously considering pullin through and getting married to her. I think I won't mind the option of the 10weeks pregnancy test. But I would like to know more about it. Isn't their any other way around this? I've built a life with her even though we are not yet married. Please I need more information on this

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Shinatu: 1:49pm On Aug 23, 2010
I am SC and I had pains several times while growing up! I had series of sleepless nights.

My mum was a midwife so she could give injections and we had loads of Novagin injection in the house.
Up till now I still wonder the side effect damage  of those injections that I may unknowning have in my body

The pain became less frequent as I grew up,but I felt a very slight one when I was preganant and had to go on a long trip.

You may not be able to forgive yourself whenyou see your child in such pain

JoeGaruba:

Being AS myself, I was lucky enough to have known this before leaving secondary school.

I had to invent ways to stylishly find out from my then potential girlfriends and my eventual wife what their genotype was.

My friends and their families wend through a lot of pain. One went as far as making it till she was 30+ but she still lost the battle.

If you truly love that person, don't take the risk.

@JoeGaruba,

I smiled when I saw this,  no be small style o!
It was a duty to find out before the heart got involved to avoid complications cheesy
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by dabongys: 7:10am On Apr 25, 2011
Guys, Your contributions to this discussion have been really great and helpful.
I would like to know WHERE in Nigeria one can go for a prenatal check on the foetus for the genotype and approximately how much it costs. Does anyone have this information??

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Blazay(m): 9:27pm On Apr 26, 2011
^^^^

Hmmmmm
Medicine after death.
Is it not better to find that out FIRST, before the 'fetus' arrives?
To make sure you reaaaaaaaally wanno buy or inherit this kind of 'wahala'.
The tin nor funny ataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!!!
This is the 21st century.

Education first, before phocking! kiss

So, when the poor fetus arrives. . . y'awwl don't try to 'terminate' it!
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by dayokanu(m): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2011
It depends.

if the AC is Thermocool or Samsung then there shouldnt be a problem but if its LG then there might be wahala
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Bawss1(m): 12:36pm On Apr 27, 2011
dayokanu:

It depends.

if the AC is Thermocool or Samsung then there shouldnt be a problem but if its LG then there might be wahala

LG is not as bad as Shinco, those ones are forever problematic.

May I be forgiven for helping to derail this thread like this.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by dabongys: 9:51pm On Apr 28, 2011
Anyone has answers to my question?

Where in Nigeria can prenatal testing be done? Or there isn't
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by obasmog(m): 11:28pm On Oct 14, 2011
pls, anybody got idea of where the 10 weeks prenatal diagnosis is carried out in Nig and how much it costs?
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by dabongys: 3:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
Obasmog, seems we have the sme problem. I'm looking for answers to that question too. If you find, pls do well to post it here. It would help a whole lot of folks. If I happen to get this answer first, I'll do the same.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Iranoladun(f): 2:46pm On Dec 30, 2011
For pre-natal testing of babies to determine their genotype try O & G dept of LUTH, Idi - Araba, Lagos, UCH, Ibadan, OAUTH Ile Ife, UNIBEN teaching hospital and a host of other teaching hospitals in Nigeria.

If you're truly in love genotype will be the last thing on your mind. I'm AS and my hubby is AC; we don't have any SC and I always thank I did not allow genotype deprive me of a wonderful marriage. God knows I will marry my husband a thousand times over (my only regret is not marrying him early enough).

All the people talking about genotype testing even before dating; I wish you luck in getting a wonderful partner. With the advent of technology, I will rather marry whom I love and who equally loves me than getting someone with a genotype AA that is a devil re-incarnate! There are worst disease one can develop in life aside Sickle cell disease o jare!

19 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Complains Of Everyday Sex From Husband, Runs (Video) / Wedding Of 42-Year-Old Folasade Dairo, A Nigerian Mother Of 4 In USA / Delta: Man Catches His Wife Having Sex With Another Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.