Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) (1739 Views)

UNN Suspends Postgraduate Programmes Indefinitely / A Thread For Computer Science Students.(Nacossites) / B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) by Atolagbe1: 1:01pm On Sep 21, 2012
Pls i need ur advice which certificate ring bell most B.Sc STATISTICS(UNN) OR OND COMPUTER SCIENCE(YABATECH)
Re: B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) by teddy2011: 3:52pm On Sep 21, 2012
Bsc Statistics.
Re: B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) by Peter210: 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2012
Computer Science is more lucrative, it depends on your area of interest.You could diversify after your Bachelors Degree to Software, Networking or Multimedia. I had my 1st degree in Statistics which I found boring basically because of much calculations from my 200L to my 400L. I then went for a second degree in Information Technology (Network). Computer Science is preferable based on the market demand and my experience.
Re: B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2012
Atolagbe1: Pls i need ur advice which certificate ring bell most B.Sc STATISTICS(UNN) OR OND COMPUTER SCIENCE(YABATECH)

You can't do Statistics if you don't have flair for it. Not an easy major but it is profitable after. Computer Science,OND...almost like you are just in Primary stage.
Re: B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) by idmanzik: 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2012
What Is Statistics?

Statistics is the science of learning from data, and of measuring, controlling, and communicating uncertainty; and it thereby provides the navigation essential for controlling the course of scientific and societal advances (Davidian, M. and Louis, T. A., 10.1126/science.1218685).

Statisticians apply statistical thinking and methods to a wide variety of scientific, social, and business endeavors in such areas as astronomy, biology, education, economics, engineering, genetics, marketing, medicine, psychology, public health, sports, among many. "The best thing about being a statistician is that you get to play in everyone else's backyard." (John Tukey, Bell Labs, Princeton University)

Many economic, social, political, and military decisions cannot be made without statistical techniques, such as the design of experiments to gain federal approval of a newly manufactured drug.

Job Characteristics

Use data to solve problems in a wide variety of fields
Apply mathematical and statistical knowledge to social, economic, medical, political, and ecological problems
Work individually and/or as part of an interdisciplinary team
Travel to consult with other professionals or attend conferences, seminars, and continuing education activities
Advance the frontiers of statistics, mathematics, and probability through education and research

If you enjoy any of these, a career in statistics may be right for you!

Statisticians provide crucial guidance in determining what information is reliable and which predictions can be trusted. They often help search for clues to the solution of a scientific mystery and sometimes keep investigators from being misled by false impressions.

1 Like

Re: B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) by idmanzik: 4:56pm On Sep 21, 2012
What Do Statisticians Do?

The world is becoming quantitative. More and more professions, from the everyday to the exotic, depend on data and numerical reasoning.

Data are not just numbers, but numbers that carry information about a specific setting and need to be interpreted in that setting. With the growth in the use of data comes a growing demand for the services of statisticians, who are experts in the following:

Producing trustworthy data
Analyzing data to make their meaning clear
Drawing practical conclusions from data

Examples of Statistics Careers

Medicine

The search for improved medical treatments rests on careful experiments that compare promising new treatments with the current state of the art. Statisticians work with medical teams to design experiments and analyze the complex data they produce.

Environment

Studies of the environment require data on the abundance and location of plants and animals, on the spread of pollution from its sources, and on the possible effects of changes in human activities. The data are often incomplete or uncertain, but statisticians can help uncover their meaning.

Industry

The future of many industries and their employees depends on improvement in the quality of goods and services and the efficiency with which they are produced and delivered. Improvement should be based on data, rather than guesswork. More companies are installing elaborate systems to collect and act on data to better serve their customers.

Government Surveys

How many people are unemployed this month? What do we export to China, and what do we import? Are rates of violent crime increasing or decreasing? The government wants data on issues such as these to guide policy, and government statistics agencies provide them by surveys of households and businesses.

Market Research

Are consumer tastes in television programs changing? What are promising locations for a new retail outlet? Market researchers use both government data and their own surveys to answer questions such as these. Statisticians design the elaborate surveys that gather data for both public and private use.
Re: B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) by Atolagbe1: 7:14pm On Sep 21, 2012
@ferdii i had a flair of dealing with numbers and calculations in general. so, i decided to opted 4 statistics because that where my strength lies mostly and i believe with G-factor and hardwork i will EXCEL,to study a BSc. Statistics from a reputable skul like the UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA,NSUKKA is an acheivement already and statistics itself is a diverse field,i believe i will suceed@all thanks i appreciate.
Re: B.sc Statistics(unn) Or Ond Computer Science(yabatech) by Idacrux: 6:42am On Sep 23, 2012
Guys pls i need more comments...

(1) (Reply)

Uniuyo Admission Merit First List 2013/2014 Out? Check This Out. / Graduated With 3rd Class In Chem Engr, Need Advice / MUST READ!! Nigerians Crazy English & Their Corrections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.