Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:19 PM

Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan (1951 Views)

Mission Impossible- Nigeria Can Not Divide In 2015 / President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration / Nigeria Will Not Divide - David Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2012
Nigeria’s unity is non-negotiable – Jonathan

Tweet

September 21, 2012 | 4:25 pm

News

Abuja – Those seeking the disintegration of the country are “lazy politicians seeking to be kings in tiny islands’’, President Goodluck Jonathan said on Thursday in Abuja.

Jonathan spoke while declaring open a National Summit and Rally for peace, unity and development, oganised by the NLC.

The president noted that the strength of the nation is in its size, population and diversity and his administration remained committed to its unity.

“I agree with other speakers that we cannot talk about cannibalising and balkanising Nigeria.

“I think those who are thinking that way want to be kings in tiny islands, because I believe from the little I know that Nigeria is still rated as a country to look at globally. It’s not because we produce oil and some people think it’s because of our oil.

President Goodluck Jonathan

“One small country with less than 10 million population produces more oil than Nigeria. So it is not the oil, it not the vast land. What is the land space of Nigeria compared to Sudan?

“The population, yes, we have the population, but I think the key thing is actually the size in terms of the human beings; it’s not the oil that we think we have.

“So any person who feels that they just want to stay as one nation, just want to be king without hard work. They will not get it, because Nigeria will not divide.’’

President Jonathan underscored the need for Nigerians to embrace peace as a pre-requisite for achieving the desired development.

He decried the present development where communication towers and equipment had become the target of destruction by some disgruntled elements.

Jonathan noted that such negative trends by saboteurs impacted negatively on the economy and made it difficult to move a modern society forward.

The president commended the NLC for organising the summit adding that it was in line with government’s position of seeking consensus in nation building and sustainable development.

He urged the organiser to use the summit to open discussion on home-grown strategies in confronting the challenges of security, peace and development.

The president also charged the gathering to examine the roles labour and the citizens could play in the attainment of sustainable security.

Jonathan requested the NLC to take serious interest in the nation’s constitutional development by making valuable contributions in writing to the National Assembly Committees on constitutional review.

He enjoined the NLC to also continue in its quest for a peaceful Nigeria and join hands with his administration to work for the overall development of the country.

He noted that the modest efforts of government were yielding results particularly in the areas of foreign direct investments, power, agriculture aviation and manufacturing.

Earlier, Edo governor, Adams Oshiomhole, identified disconnect between the political class and the masses, unemployment, corruption, anti-masses policies, among others, as causes of disunity and crises in the country.

Then former NLC president noted that there could not be peace, unity and development without justice.

He noted that economic growth and development could only be measured when it trickled down to the masses and the generality of the society.

Oshiomhole called for a review of the revenue allocation formula to allow for a reduction in the resources accruing to the Federal Government in favour of states and local governments.

He noted that by so doing, states would be allowed to develop at their own paces and attention would be shifted from the federal to the states.

Chairman of the occasion and former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, said the dimension of the current security challenges had made it imperative for all Nigerians to come together to proffer solutions.

He noted that without a unity of purpose and unity of all ethnic nationalities there would be no peace, security and meaningful development.

Gowon expressed his reservations about the general notion of minority and majority nationalities saying that Nigerians must see themselves as one.

He said the event was a departure from what labour was erroneously known for: militancy, civil disobedience and opposition to government’s policies. (NAN)
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by cjrane: 9:48pm On Sep 21, 2012
Aye !!!
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Callotti: 10:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
Nigeria will only divide in dreams. kiss
Will the 'cabal' divide too ? wink
Will Okonjo-Iweala 'divide' too?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Nobody: 10:31pm On Sep 21, 2012
once you hear a nigerian politician screaming that nigeria will not divide, just know that they are starting to get desperate in their attempt to remain in their federal positions
the north is scare to death about nigeria's certain disintegration
jonathan is playing to their fears
mumu president
you must leave in 2015
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Dede1(m): 10:47pm On Sep 21, 2012
Anybody who attended the alleged National Summit and Rally for peace, unity and development, organized by the NLC, chaired by one goofy Gowon and still have audacity to yarn Nigeria can not be divided is an incompetent fool. The same fools who started the balkanization of Nigeria by ceding Bakassi to Cameroon played buffoonery in Abuja and have the audacious pedigree to flaunt it. What a country called Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 21, 2012
Dede1: Anybody who attended the alleged National Summit and Rally for peace, unity and development, organized by the NLC, chaired by one goofy Gowon and still have audacity to yarn Nigeria can not be divided is an incompetent fool. The same fools who started the balkanization of Nigeria by ceding Bakassi to Cameroon played buffoonery in Abuja and have the audacious pedigree to flaunt it. What a country called Nigeria.

i wonder o
the level of idiocy is nigeria
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by juman(m): 5:14am On Sep 22, 2012
nigeria will certainly be divided. No one can stop that.

No to one nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by OneNaira6: 5:32am On Sep 22, 2012
Forcing people to stay in nation they wish not to be isn't democracy. Infact, it is down right evil. Your own is clamoring for ijaw republic, the igbo is clamoring for igbo republic. The same for ogoni, the bakassi, etc. Is it a must to be one? One nigeria my yansh
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Callotti: 8:31am On Sep 22, 2012
Still a lot of noise and little action.
God bless the h-internet. cheesy
You never hear of any 'divide' Nigeria.
Except from one area that has never 'tasted' presidency. wink
Is this the reason?
Just asking sha. wink
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:44am On Sep 22, 2012
Nigeria will not divide? I suppose not, but it will be partitioned and contracted out like Bakassi with no hope for appeal or return. Great Leadership. cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Vinzz(m): 9:02am On Sep 22, 2012
Y should it not? He should give meaningful reasons embarassed
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 22, 2012
If Jonathan had inclined to the "Nigeria may split" idealogy, he would be called names.
Though he stated his opinion that Nigeria will not divide, he has to be called names.

Head or tail: Crucify him!

Well, my opinion?

Except the Jihardists stops their conquest, Nigeria will surely split.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 22, 2012
This is why some people call him retardeen. Who is calling for Nigeria to be divided?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 22, 2012
re@lchange:
once you hear a nigerian politician screaming that nigeria will not divide, just know that they are starting to get desperate in their attempt to remain in their federal positions
the north is scare to death about nigeria's certain disintegration
jonathan is playing to their fears
mumu president
you must leave in 2015

on the contrary, i can tell you no people pray for it more than the north, only the thieving elite and that goes all through!!
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by ezeagu(m): 4:39pm On Sep 22, 2012
bbpreye.:
“I think those who are thinking that way want to be kings in tiny islands, because I believe from the little I know that Nigeria is still rated as a country to look at globally. It’s not because we produce oil and some people think it’s because of our oil.

President Goodluck Jonathan

“One small country with less than 10 million population produces more oil than Nigeria. So it is not the oil, it not the vast land. What is the land space of Nigeria compared to Sudan?

“The population, yes, we have the population, but I think the key thing is actually the size in terms of the human beings; it’s not the oil that we think we have.

“So any person who feels that they just want to stay as one nation, just want to be king without hard work. They will not get it, because Nigeria will not divide.’’

Can anybody explain what this means?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 22, 2012
Aigbofa: This is why some people call him retardeen. Who is calling for Nigeria to be divided?

I have secretly wished and openly proposed it.

there are many like me who don't like pretense but rather want to face the reality that Nigeria is a fraud!

Give us Biafra and see what the genius of the black race.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Dede1(m): 4:53pm On Sep 22, 2012
Callotti: Still a lot of noise and little action.
Is this the reason?
Just asking sha. wink

Idiocy among Nigerians comes in shades. I know there is no Edo, Esan, Urhobo or Itsekiri son or daughter who has been President of any sort or Head of State of the cesspit called Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by legallyCJ(m): 4:57pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nigeria must not divide,for we are strong in unity,therefore politicians seeking division should go nd set down for nigeria is not going to divide
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 22, 2012
legallyCJ: Nigeria must not divide,for we are strong in unity,therefore politicians seeking division should go nd set down for nigeria is not going to divide

Unity? With the blood of my kinsmen flowing non-stop in the primitive northern Nigeria?

I am not a politician, but I cant wait to see the end of this fraud called Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by ezeagu(m): 5:10pm On Sep 22, 2012
legallyCJ: Nigeria must not divide,for we are strong in unity,therefore politicians seeking division should go nd set down for nigeria is not going to divide

Which type of unity, do you have any example?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by mpumalanga: 5:25pm On Sep 22, 2012
Even AL-bashir spoke that way my president but we know the story.
Your reassurance can not save the situation because you did not
create it.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by ezeagu(m): 5:43pm On Sep 22, 2012
By the way, why did he randomly start talking about disintegration?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by ujchief(m): 6:29pm On Sep 22, 2012
ezeagu:

Can anybody explain what this means?
exactly! I thut i was the only one that noticed the absurd contradiction. 'Nigeria is great not because of oil, or land size, or space, or POPULATION, but b'cos of size in terms of human beings inside it'. Isnt that the definition of population? Or is the president insinuating that we've got people the size of Goliath? What is he blabing about?
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 2:46am On Sep 23, 2012
ezeagu: By the way, why did he randomly start talking about disintegration?

I had thought that everybody (at least those feeding fat on our coffers in Abuja) assumed that Nigeria will stay one; so if the president starts to talk like this, then maybe even he has started to doubt. Hmmm, wonder what happened to raise his doubt. lol
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Callotti: 6:50am On Sep 23, 2012
Dede1:

Idiocy among Nigerians comes in shades. I know there is no Edo, Esan, Urhobo or Itsekiri son or daughter who has been President of any sort or Head of State of the cesspit called Nigeria.

Mu he he he he he he

Look who's crying to be president!
Ndi Igbos of course.
Edo nor get that kind time. . .ask Lucky Igbinedion or ANY REAAAAAAAAAAAAL PROUD NIGERIAN IGBO FROM DELTA STATE.
Urhobo nor get time. . .
Itsekiri nor get time. . .
Even Jonathan. . .did not beg for it. But the masters of Nigeria gave it to him.
YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED!!!! kiss

I think 'una' be MAJOR TRIBE ABI NA LANGUAGE OF NIGERIA? tongue

Come take 'POTUS OF BIAFRA'(aka president of the united stench of biafra)!. . . hint-hint. . .OBAMAFRIAN!!!!! grin

Abeg divide make we hear word.
LOOOOZAS!

Nna gi bu 'idiocy'! Ewu! kiss
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Demdem(m): 7:07am On Sep 23, 2012
The retardeen simply don't get it.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by agent22: 10:17am On Sep 23, 2012
Demdem: The retardeen simply don't get it.
this boy and retardeen. Is like ur life is in shambles

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Demdem(m): 1:01pm On Sep 23, 2012
agent22: this boy and retardeen. Is like ur life is in shambles

Coming from one whose entire lineage is doomed. Msheeeew.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by cjrane: 2:17pm On Sep 23, 2012
Oga GEJ, Just be fixing your mansion in Bayelsa now. Soon you cannot hold the flood that is coming to flush out the nonsense called najerea.It is very clear to every Nigerian and even dead Nigerians that it was a huge mistake to amalgamate this entity in the first place, and even a bigger mistake and waste of precious lives and energy fighting to keep it united by force. Nothing is permanent under the sun. Especially unstable elements.It is a natural law, Nigeria will disintegrate sooner than later.
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by kettykin: 6:21pm On Sep 23, 2012
Callotti: Still a lot of noise and little action.
Is this the reason?
Just asking sha. wink

There are quite a number of Areas that is yet to taste the presidency but believe in Nigeria like the Edos, Tivs,Kanuri, igalla, idoma , ebirra, gwarri Nupe,Efik e.t.c They dont hav Oil and cannot survive outside Nigeria
and there a number of Areas that even though they have tasted the presidency they still have no other option to believe in one Nigeria like the Yorubas, Hausas, Middle belters they cannot not opt out or seccede even if opportunity beckons because they cannot survive outside Nigeria .
There are others that dont mind if there is One Nigeria or if the presidency is zoned to them what they want is to control their resources these include the Ijaws,Urhobo,Itsekiri. These groups are too minute to make an impact without oil outside Nigeria but still have oil and can opt out if Opportunity beckons
There are those who are divided between being in Nigeria and Opting out whether there is oil or no oil or presidency or no presidency this is where the igbos and the Ibibios fall into.

if Soviet Union despite its size and influence broke up then Nigeria can and might if the western world give their Nod.

I keep wondering what will happen if the UN revisits the 1967 Civil war and because of the present insecurity in Nigeria call for a referendum in the Former Biafra Territory like they did for South Sudan. The result of the Referendum will be shocking and mind blowing because 100 % will vote for seccesion.
That will leave Nigera in a very difficult situation because Nigeria cannot and will not last more than 6 months if the SE/SS leave the country.

However even if the SW leave or the Middle Belt Leave or the Core North Leave Nigeria there absence will not be felt except in the availability of more finances left by their exit.

I still have hope in 1 Nigeria and pray the Nigerian Leaders get things right
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Callotti: 9:20pm On Sep 23, 2012
^^^
I think you missed the 'koko' of the 'mata'.
Some parts of Nigeria do not care. . .for one reason.
It doesn't change a thing!
Get with the program. . . .would you? wink
Only the Igbos. . . .make it a big deal.
The Yorubas. . .as usual are brokers. . .sitting and watching. . .orchestrating behind the scenes.
The Northerners. . . HA!

Now you see why some do not care.

It is a waste of time. . .ask Jonathan Goodluck. grin

if Soviet Union despite its size and influence broke up then Nigeria can and might if the western world give their Nod.

I think you are quite naive to think YOU would sleep well at night if Nigeria indeed breaks up.You must be born after 1970. . . .If you were born during the civil war. . . you would never dream of mentioning the words 'break-up' not to write them. Many apologies.

You are comparing the Soviet Union now Russia to Nigeria? You must be very young. . . very young. Or your memories are failing you. . . before your time. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan by Dede1(m): 2:07am On Sep 24, 2012
Callotti:

Mu he he he he he he

Look who's crying to be president!
Ndi Igbos of course.
Edo nor get that kind time. . .ask Lucky Igbinedion or ANY REAAAAAAAAAAAAL PROUD NIGERIAN IGBO FROM DELTA STATE.
Urhobo nor get time. . .
Itsekiri nor get time. . .
Even Jonathan. . .did not beg for it. But the masters of Nigeria gave it to him.
YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED!!!! kiss

I think 'una' be MAJOR TRIBE ABI NA LANGUAGE OF NIGERIA? tongue

Come take 'POTUS OF BIAFRA'(aka president of the united stench of biafra)!. . . hint-hint. . .OBAMAFRIAN!!!!! grin

Abeg divide make we hear word.
LOOOOZAS!

Nna gi bu 'idiocy'! Ewu! kiss

If your shenanigans are not born out of idiocy, I wonder what really spurs your buffoonery. I have concluded it is clearly due to inadequate education. Whenever you have time to encounter the history of Nigeria, it is written in capital letters that an Igbo man was once a president and head of state of the cesspit called Nigeria.

As succinctly stated by previous poster, there are certain Nigerians who want to opt out of Nigeria whether there is oil or no oil in their domain or presidency or no presidency is zoned to their region.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala Tip Aig-imoukhuede As Next CBN Governor / Ifeanyi Uba May Be Next Anambra Governor / Boko Haram Leader Abubakar Shekau In Profile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.