Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,830 members, 7,802,653 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Few Pics From Imo State - Politics (450) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Few Pics From Imo State (2390666 Views)

Prof. Anthony Onwuka, Ministerial Nominee From Imo State, Would be Screened Out / Oboy See Heavy Accident Along Rivers Express Way (with Few Pics) / Few Pics From My Brief Trip To Abuja To Meet A Cankerworm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) (453) ... (1018) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by THEAMAKA(f): 1:41am On Apr 25, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

Unless there's a geographical restriction, nobody should deliberately create a 1 industry state. Some sectors will be stronger based on the state, but the difference between our states are negligable and what one has another can have.

The problem with moving around in the region is the problem with Nigeria. I'm in the US. If i want to be i marketing, I can live in Texas. If i want to be in medicine, i can be in texas. If i want a factory job i can be in texas.

In Nigeria, if you want to be in Marketing, you have to move to Lagos. If you want to be in anything outside of factory work, farming and petty trading you have to go to Lagos. If you want a simple government document printed you have to go to Abuja, rent a hotel, and go back the next day. All of these things makes life unbalanced and miserable. If Nigeria is what you know than this reality is acceptable, but once you experience something else, you'll know that it's a dangerous economic concept.

Also, if Imo is a hospitality state, and kidnapping starts up or a high profile kidnapping hits the news, suddenly 70-90% of the economic is shut down because people will stop visiting. Cross Rivers tried to be a hosptality state. The federal government neglected one road and suddenly employment and cross rivers are two different things.

Every state needs 10% of it's economy to be 1 sector, the next 10% another. So that if the industry slows down by 50% only 5% of the jobs in the state will be lost.

Good point. I agree. I never implied one state should only have one economic source, but one state might have an economy that is majorly reliant on one sector while having other smaller industries. But I like your breakdown of the percentages better.

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by discusant: 11:17am On Apr 25, 2018
In an ideal state, every city, town or locality has what it contributes to the coffers of the state.

No State thrives by its governors hiding under the mantra: "State capital", to dispense nearly the yearly capital development funds of the state on building what fancied the governors in the state capital, but abandon the rest of the state to deteriorate - worse during Okorocha's government.

IMPEACHMENT.

Okorocha is under oath to govern Imo state, not Owerri.

For using the federal allocations to Imo state and its local government areas to buy hundreds of taxis, tens of buses, and police vehicles, but ordered that the vehicles serve only Owerri, Okorocha should have been impeached.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Afam4eva(m): 2:07pm On Apr 25, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

Unless there's a geographical restriction, nobody should deliberately create a 1 industry state. Some sectors will be stronger based on the state, but the difference between our states are negligable and what one has another can have.

The problem with moving around in the region is the problem with Nigeria. I'm in the US. If i want to be i marketing, I can live in Texas. If i want to be in medicine, i can be in texas. If i want a factory job i can be in texas.

In Nigeria, if you want to be in Marketing, you have to move to Lagos. If you want to be in anything outside of factory work, farming and petty trading you have to go to Lagos. If you want a simple government document printed you have to go to Abuja, rent a hotel, and go back the next day. All of these things makes life unbalanced and miserable. If Nigeria is what you know than this reality is acceptable, but once you experience something else, you'll know that it's a dangerous economic concept.

Also, if Imo is a hospitality state, and kidnapping starts up or a high profile kidnapping hits the news, suddenly 70-90% of the economic is shut down because people will stop visiting. Cross Rivers tried to be a hosptality state. The federal government neglected one road and suddenly employment and cross rivers are two different things.

Every state needs 10% of it's economy to be 1 sector, the next 10% another. So that if the industry slows down by 50% only 5% of the jobs in the state will be lost.
In Nigeria, thee's no state or city that does not have a bit of everything. There's nothing in Lagos that is not in Imo or Enugu state. The only difference is that these things are more pronounced in Lagos which makes more sense owing to the population. I still agree that states should be known by one thing even though they will still be kinda diversified. For instance in the US that you used as an example, if someone wants to become an Actor or filmmaker, the person has to go to Los Angeles. That's not because some opportunities aren't in places like New York or Chicago but the opportunities are not as expansive as they are in los Angeles. New York is more known for the white collar, especially Wall Street. If you need IT jobs, you can go to San franciso/Sillicon valley. For touristy things, you can go to Miami or Las Vegas depending on which one tickles your fancy. So, it's important that states in Nigeria are known for something but still have everything.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 2:21pm On Apr 25, 2018
Afam4eva:

In Nigeria, thee's no state or city that does not have a bit of everything. There's nothing in Lagos that is not in Imo or Enugu state. The only difference is that these things are more pronounced in Lagos which makes more sense owing to the population. I still agree that states should be known by one thing even though they will still be kinda diversified. For instance in the US that you used as an example, if someone wants to become an Actor or filmmaker, the person has to go to Los Angeles. That's not because some opportunities aren't in places like New York or Chicago but the opportunities are not as expansive as they are in los Angeles. New York is more known for the white collar, especially Wall Street. If you need IT jobs, you can go to San franciso/Sillicon valley. For touristy things, you can go to Miami or Las Vegas depending on which one tickles your fancy. So, it's important that states in Nigeria are known for something but still have everything.

You right to an extent. Some cities have taken the lead is some things, but the % of California's economy that Hollywood occupies? Less than 10%

See Leisure and Hospitality? Hollywood is in there a long with the entire tourism industry, hotel industry, and all recreational activities . If all of Hollywood collapses, California's economy will only loose 1-2% of it's size not counting unrelated industries that will be effected like real estate etc.
So that's what I mean.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Afam4eva(m): 2:24pm On Apr 25, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

You right to an extent. Some cities have taken the lead is some things, but the % of California's economy that Hollywood occupies? Less than 10%

[img]https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1140184/000095012311027052/g26547g2654703.gif[/img]

See the dark red portion? Hollywood is in there. If all of Hollywood collapses, California's economy will only loose 1-2% of it's size not counting unrelated industries that will be effected like real estate etc.
So that's what I mean.
I'm specifically talking about Los Angeles in relation to hollywood and not California. California is really huge and the economy is diversified. There's sillicon valley that hosts a lot of big internet startups, so i wasn't implying that Hollywood is their major earner.

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 2:29pm On Apr 25, 2018
I understand, and what you're saying makes sense for LA. What I'm saying is yes, like you said, going to LA for acting is advantageous and people do it, but LA doesn't have a dominate industry. I don't advocate for the cities and states in our region to have dominate industries either, it's not good for long term survival

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 2:51pm On Apr 25, 2018
SoNature:

Examples? They are countless.

Those useless gates he started all over Owerri and abandoned.

Where are the centenary towers

Prince hotels http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1679302

I think the Orlu guys will have better replies for you grin

But ans me first

Priority and laxity of funds made some of those earlier projects revisited. People close to the Government advised him against continuing with the gates which I agree is not necessary.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by SoNature(m): 2:57pm On Apr 25, 2018
Abagworo:

Priority and laxity of funds made some of those earlier projects revisited. People close to the Government advised him against continuing with the gates which I agree is not necessary.

Nwanne, I can't be arguing with you...mbanu

Just keep posting pictures to keep this thread alive

In fact, I duff my fedora hat for you for boisterously defending a man who, by all standards, is indefensible
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Afam4eva(m): 3:24pm On Apr 25, 2018
Ofodirinwa:
I understand, and what you're saying makes sense for LA. What I'm saying is yes, like you said, going to LA for acting is advantageous and people do it, but LA doesn't have a dominate industry. I don't advocate for the cities and states in our region to have dominate industries either, it's not good for long term survival
LA's economy may not be dominate but a particular industry stands out. Huge cities usually don't have dominant economies because they have a bit of everything which is why they're mega cities in the first place. But cities like Owerri, in order to stand out, need to focus on one area while still maintaining other areas.

3 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ttipsy(f): 10:37pm On Apr 25, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

See Leisure and Hospitality? Hollywood is in there a long with the entire tourism industry, hotel industry, and all recreational activities . If all of Hollywood collapses, California's economy will only loose 1-2% of it's size not counting unrelated industries that will be effected like real estate etc.
So that's what I mean.
they are creating the state of New California, true / false ?
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 1:12am On Apr 26, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

So that's what I mean.

But hospitality and manufacturing are same percentage.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 3:51am On Apr 26, 2018
Abagworo:

But hospitality and manufacturing are same percentage.

right, that's what I'm saying. You can't have a state dependant on 1 thing. state, city, ward, the sources of income must be varied or else you risk economic decline that's severe. Detroit thought the auto and manufacturing sectors would make it bulletproof. It was the most productive city in the world at one point. Then Japanese auto manufactures reduced their market share. Today, this is a neighborhood in Detroit

and it's not as if ppl stopped buying cars but just a downturn and loss of market share killed the city. If this happened to a diversified city, recovery time would be rapid and manageable

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 4:01am On Apr 26, 2018
Afam4eva:

LA's economy may not be dominate but a particular industry stands out. Huge cities usually don't have dominant economies because they have a bit of everything which is why they're mega cities in the first place. But cities like Owerri, in order to stand out, need to focus on one area while still maintaining other areas.

and which area will they focus on? Hospitality I'm assuming? Think of what were saying. If we want 50% of the Owerri economy to be hospitality, that means that 50% of the people living there will have to work in a hotel. So while 50% of the state capital is populated by cleaners, room service maids, chauffeurs, and hotel management, what happens if there's a kidnapping spree in the east? And people stop coming home for 1 year, 2 years, 3? Suddenly 30-50% of your city doesn't have a job. In a sane country, this would be an economic apocalypse.

Just look at Nigeria that was an 'oil' economy. Oil slowed down and people's wealth evaporated. Banks are barely functioning. Food is unaffordable, governments no longer exist outside of newspapers and blogs, no growth, no investments, no projects and research and development, no industries, nothing can happen again. You know what's worst? Oil will never come back. The countries that used to buy our oil have found their own. The Naira is now worthless and will tank further.

Seeing this, why would you want to create 5-6 Nigerias in the east when we have an opportunity to be better than that?

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 4:44am On Apr 26, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 7:57am On Apr 26, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

right, that's what I'm saying. You can't have a state dependant on 1 thing. state, city, ward, the sources of income must be varied or else you risk economic decline that's severe. Detroit thought the auto and manufacturing sectors would make it bulletproof. It was the most productive city in the world at one point. Then Japanese auto manufactures reduced their market share. Today, this is a neighborhood in Detroit

and it's not as if ppl stopped buying cars but just a downturn and loss of market share killed the city. If this happened to a diversified city, recovery time would be rapid and manageable

Yes you're right and that is what happened to Nigeria as a monotonous economy however I've always believed we shouldn't view Igboland on a State to State basis but rather as a region with all components contributing and complimenting each other.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by macjive01: 3:00pm On Apr 26, 2018
Abagworo , any update on the mall replacing the market?
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 8:24pm On Apr 26, 2018
Abagworo:

Yes you're right and that is what happened to Nigeria as a monotonous economy however I've always believed we shouldn't view Igboland on a State to State basis but rather as a region with all components contributing and complimenting each other.
I agrue we should even be lookong at a ward level. If every ward had s Stewart responsible for it's development and cooridinated by a larger state government, we'll develop fully in less than 10 years.

What is regionalism but an excuse for mediocrity? If we have something like Innoson and we're happy that we have a car company in our 'region', news flash, our region is a nation of 50 million people. Other nations that big have 3 to 4 auto plants. Regions are attractive to 'bigger is better' people. We all know that bigger isn't better especially when it comes to development. Singapore is smaller than Nigeria.

Let governance reach the smallest possible corners and large tasks be broken into smaller more realistic ones across many wards.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 10:13pm On Apr 28, 2018
This is how fans watched the Chelsea game today at freedom falls.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 10:14pm On Apr 28, 2018
Nice concept I must say

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:20pm On Apr 28, 2018
smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by macjive01: 1:41am On Apr 29, 2018
Rochas and gimmicks, thats surely not safe.

why not move the truck and screen to hero's square, where will be safer and more conducive

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by AKswift: 1:52am On Apr 29, 2018
macjive01:
Rochas and gimmicks, thats surely not safe.

why not move the truck and screen to hero's square, where will be safer and more conducive

I tire o! What kind of backwardness is this? There could be better places for this, without disrupting traffic and endangering the lives of sport lovers. After una go say na una go school pass....Nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 9:02am On Apr 29, 2018
AKswift:

I tire o! What kind of backwardness is this? There could be better places for this, without disrupting traffic and endangering the lives of sport lovers. After una go say na una go school pass....Nonsense!

When this was shown at Otigba in Enugu during Sullivan's time nobody said it should be taken to Okpara Square. The target of such gesture is busy junctions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlxmMWOnOPc
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by SmartPolician: 9:56am On Apr 29, 2018
AKswift:

You people are always ready to condemn anything 'Rochas'

The Nigerian mind is a terrible one

You guys never seem to see anything positive in anything that man does. Funnily enough, he keeps going loke loke in life

No matter how much you guys condemn him, those who know the impact he made in Imo State will always appreciate him.

Yes, Rochas has his failings just like every normal human, but he has left Imo with something positive, especially in education and healthcare.

I won't forget the day I was travelling to Enugu from Lagos. A guy from Udi was very angry with Sullivan Chime for, in his words, doing nothing for his people. The guy said that Sullivan Chime needed to go to Chimaroke Nnamani, who took all reasonable govt projects to his town, to learn about governance.

The same Sullivan Chime that everyone in Enugu celebrates?

That was the day I gave up on us Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by AKswift: 1:09pm On Apr 29, 2018
SmartPolician:

You people are always ready to condemn anything 'Rochas'

The Nigerian mind is a terrible one

You guys never seem to see anything positive in anything that man does. Funnily enough, he keeps going loke loke in life

No matter how much you guys condemn him, those who know the impact he made in Imo State will always appreciate him.

Yes, Rochas has his failings just like every normal human, but he has left Imo with something positive, especially in education and healthcare.

I won't forget the day I was travelling to Enugu from Lagos. A guy from Udi was very angry with Sullivan Chime for, in his words, doing nothing for his people. The guy said that Sullivan Chime needed to go to Chimaroke Nnamani, who took all reasonable govt projects to his town, to learn about governance.

The same Sullivan Chime that everyone in Enugu celebrates?

That was the day I gave up on us Nigerians

Egbon, objective criticisms should not be misconstrued for hatred. Do you expect discerning minds to give accolades to who so ever is responsible for this?

Imagine a mobile viewing center on Third-Mainland Bridge!

Bros, joor, what is worth doing is worth doing well!

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by AKswift: 1:19pm On Apr 29, 2018
Abagworo:

When this was shown at Otigba in Enugu during Sullivan's time nobody said it should be taken to Okpara Square. The target of such gesture is busy junctions.

Two wrong doings do not equal correctness.

Your team should take this to the right spot!

And if this is coming from a State Government, then the administrator is low on creative thinking

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 1:52pm On Apr 29, 2018
AKswift:

Two wrong doings do not equal correctness.

Your team should take this to the right spot!

And if this is coming from a State Government, then the administrator is low on creative thinking

Watch this video again and tell me what's wrong with it.

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 1:56pm On Apr 29, 2018
AKswift:

Egbon, objective criticisms should not be misconstrued for hatred. Do you expect discerning minds to give accolades to who so ever is responsible for this?

Imagine a mobile viewing center on Third-Mainland Bridge!

Bros, joor, what is worth doing is worth doing well!

Eko bridge by Ijora

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by AKswift: 1:58pm On Apr 29, 2018
Abagworo:

Watch this video again and tell me what's wrong with it.

I have no P with the video, bro; the boulevard is so cool. My attack is on the stationing of the mobile viewing device at the wrong place.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by AKswift: 2:14pm On Apr 29, 2018
Abagworo:

Eko bridge by Ijora

You damn funny, man!

I quit on further discussion on this, please
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 3:28pm On Apr 30, 2018
Work continues at the multilevel and underground car park.

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 3:34pm On Apr 30, 2018
Work continues at new Okigwe Stadium as artificial grasses are about being installed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) (453) ... (1018) (Reply)

Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.