Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Why Women Should Stop Trying To Be Perfect - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Women Should Stop Trying To Be Perfect (1101 Views)

Reasons To Stop Trying To Prove Yourself To Everyone / Why Women Should Be Financially Independent. / 20 Things Women Should Never Do! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Women Should Stop Trying To Be Perfect by LordReed(m): 8:08am On Sep 25, 2012
Admittedly skewed to the America woman, this article has something every woman can learn from.

Over the past 30 years–first at Harvard Business
School, where I was on the faculty for nearly two
decades, and now, at Barnard College, where I serve
as president–I have watched thousands of bright
and talented young women start to plot the course
of their lives. I have watched my friends’ and
colleagues’ lives evolve in complicated and
unpredictable ways.

And I have juggled like mad, with three wonderful
kids, a husband I adore, and jobs that leave me
perched perpetually on the edge of insanity. Like
most working mothers, I have snuck out of
meetings to attend piano recitals and missed track
meets when a deadline was looming. I have
sprinted through airports in the futile hope of
catching an earlier flight home and tried to comfort
a sobbing child when, inevitably, the plane was late.
I delivered my first lecture in a suit that reeked of
infant throw-up from earlier that morning and
crashed the minivan into a tree as I raced to
retrieve the correct ballet costume.

Through all this chaos I have become increasingly convinced of two interconnected points. First, that there is undeniably still a “women’s problem” in the United States, a problem that relates deeply and intimately to the bleak roster of numbers that tell this story. And second, that part of this intractable problem is tied to the fact that women in this country are struggling far more than is necessary not only to have that ephemeral “all,” but to do it all alone.
Indeed, rather than leaping with glee at the liberation that has befallen women since the 1960s, we are laboring instead under a double whammy of impossible expectations—the old-fashioned one (to be good mothers and wives, impeccable housekeepers and blushing brides) and those wrought more recently (to be athletic, strong, sexually versatile, and wholly independent). The result? We have become a generation desperate to be perfect wives, mothers, and professionals-Tiger Moms who prepare organic quinoa each evening after waltzing home from the IPO in our Manolo Blahnik heels. Even worse, we somehow believe that we need to do all of this at once, and without any help. Almost by definition, a woman cannot work a 60-hour-per-week job and be the same kind of parent she would have been without the 60-hour-per-week job. No man can do this; no human can do this. Yet women are repeatedly berating themselves for failing at this kind of balancing act, a (quietly, invidiously) berating others when something inevitably slips. Think of the schadenfreude that erupts every time a high-profile woman hits a bump in either her career or her family life. Poor Condoleezza Rice, left without a boyfriend. Sloppy Hillary, whose hair is wrong again. Bad Marissa Mayer, who dared to announce her pregnancy the same week she was named CEO of Yahoo. She could not pull it off (snicker, snicker). She paid for her success. She Could. Not. Do. It. All.

Catch the rest here: www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/09/23/why-women-should-stop-trying-to-be-perfect.html
Re: Why Women Should Stop Trying To Be Perfect by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 26, 2012
This is so true.
Re: Why Women Should Stop Trying To Be Perfect by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 26, 2012
Well our people will quote Proverbs 31 for you, Tell you "it is a woman who makes the home", the man has no hand in it, infact he can stay out all day and night, cheat beat and still the woman should do "wifely duties" and not "push him out". Forget that her physical and emotional needs are far from met, she should put all that aside and stop being silly, Men are babies, in addition to holding a job (sometimes being a bread winner) she should find ways to keep him "occupied" always satisfy him, learn new styles, cook, clean, always keep a clean home even in situations when He is home before her or not working at all, it is a taboo for him to do house work or help out, in such cases she wants to "dominate" him and disreapect him because she now earns the bread. He can loaf around all day and sleep with househelps "body no be wood". In all these, she is not meant to be upset or "provoke" him, she should be quiet, "submissive" and prayerful
We are a handful, this writer better not bring his book to Nigeria, this is foreign culture, doesnt apply to us, our women here are beast of burden and they "love it", they earn a medal for eating the most pooo

3 Likes

Re: Why Women Should Stop Trying To Be Perfect by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 26, 2012
^^ an overly religious country with nothing to show for it. Why the world is producing a high level of poor quality men beats me. undecided. Too much focus on role of a woman and less focus on raising good quality men for the society. Could it be that women liberation deceived the women folk or is there now an extreme women liberation?
Re: Why Women Should Stop Trying To Be Perfect by Godmother(f): 11:18pm On Apr 11, 2013
^^^ I wonder oh

(1) (Reply)

Nuhu Ribadu Foundation Donating Materials At A Nomadic School In Kwali FCT. / Am In A Precarious Situation What Do I Do? / Why Hands Are Best Marriage Counsellors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.