Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,957 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Domestic Violence And Relationships - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Domestic Violence And Relationships (11419 Views)

How To Manage Domestic Violence In A Relationship / Prophecy And Relationships / Inferiority Complex in Dating and Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 3:17pm On Sep 25, 2012
Have you ever been in a domestic violence relationship and if so, how did you remove yourself from it? Have you ever helped someone remove themselves from an abusive relationship? What are your thoughts on domestic violence in marriage or dating?

I have recently encouraged a friend of mine to leave her abusive partner because she would always cover herself with make up and hoodies. I told my husband about this situation and he suggested that I remove myself from the equation and we got into an argument because I felt like he was supporting the abuser.

My husband said that he does not want his wife involve in something that has nothing to do with me and he will hurt a mofo if harm come my way. In some way, I am touched but still mad at him because I feel like if it was his sisters or mother...he would be like Boko Haram with atomic bombs. Why is it when it is someone that is not family...men will turn their heads?

My friend won't press charges and I am afraid for her children. She has two girls and one boy. She shared with me that her son is imitating the abuser by threatening to kill her and she need to sleep with one eye open. That bothers me because I know if she doesn't get out...she will be in a body bag.

I have successfully helped women get out of abusive relationship because their families were involved but she has not family that live in our region. She moved from her hometown to be with her partner and I was introduced to her by a survivor. This is exactly what she looks like and it is no lie.

How can a woman or man get out of an abusive relationship and do you think it is easy to do so even with a sure way out?

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by jhydebaba(m): 3:26pm On Sep 25, 2012
You don't need to get out of domestic violence, its for better for worse sister.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 3:28pm On Sep 25, 2012
jhydebaba: You don't need to get out of domestic violence, its for better for worse sister.

Me or my friend
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by jhydebaba(m): 3:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Me or my friend
Both grin
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 3:51pm On Sep 25, 2012
jhydebaba:
Both grin

Why would I be in an abusive relationship encouraging someone else to get out

Are you on your period?

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by jhydebaba(m): 3:53pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Why would I be in an abusive relationship encouraging someone else to get out

Are you on your period?
NO!!! I am on HEAT.

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by LongOne1(m): 4:17pm On Sep 25, 2012
Temporary separation?
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 25, 2012
jhydebaba: You don't need to get out of domestic violence, its for better for worse sister.

I think sherm heads have officially made comebacks on NL. tongue grin

One must take a beating in the name of some unrealistic vow? Im sorry but if this is what marriage means...i will pass. undecided
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by LongOne1(m): 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2012
^^^I’m curious, what was it you did, a butt job perhaps? embarassed
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by CrazyMan(m): 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Have you ever been in a domestic violence relationship and if so, how did you remove yourself from it?
Nope I've never been in any.

Mrs.Chima:
Have you ever helped someone remove themselves from an abusive relationship?
Emm...not really.

Mrs.Chima:
What are your thoughts on domestic violence in marriage or dating?
From my thoughts and views...I feel domestic violence and abuse are used for one purpose and one purpose only...to gain and maintain total control over you.

Mrs.Chima:
I have recently encouraged a friend of mine to leave her abusive partner because she would always cover herself with make up and hoodies.
Well...you did the right thing (by asking her to leave), I mean...you cannot allow a spouse to treat you poorly, or you’ll wind up hating yourself, your mate, your relationship and your life.  Since your husband is unlikely to change his behavior without being forced into it, it’s going to be up to you to enforce changes in your marriage. 

Mrs.Chima:
I told my husband about this situation and he suggested that I remove myself from the equation and we got into an argument because I felt like he was supporting the abuser.
If your husband asks you to refrain yourself from that subject, then obey him and avoid bringing it up so peace can reign in your home.

Mrs.Chima:
My husband said that he does not want his wife involve in something that has nothing to do with me and he will hurt a mofo if harm come my way.
He's right you know...what happens in their home is actually none of your business.

Mrs.Chima:
In some way, I am touched but still mad at him because I feel like if it was his sisters or mother ...he would be like Boko Haram with atomic bombs. Why is it when it is someone that is not family...men will turn their heads?
Note the bolded...some men just prefer to stay away from other people's territories. They hate engaging themselves in battles that have nothing to do with them or their loved ones. I won't blame him for that.

If you feel much concern for her, then you can report the matter to the authorities (police, court etc)

Mrs.Chima:
My friend won't press charges and I am afraid for her children.
Are you sure you've convinced her enough? She has been assaulted physically and according to the law, she definitely deserves justice.

Her children is not the issue here...the issue is that she deserves the right to a happy life, she deserves peace of mind...that which her husband has denied her of. So I feel it would be proper if she takes legal action against him.

If she's a christian, she can take the case to God, but in the mean time she must rise up and fight for her right as a woman.

Mrs.Chima:
She has two girls and one boy. She shared with me that her son is imitating the abuser by threatening to kill her and she need to sleep with one eye open. That bothers me because I know if she doesn't get out...she will be in a body bag.
I thought you said you advised her to leave the house for a while?

Don't tell me she's still in that house.

Mrs.Chima:
I have successfully helped women get out of abusive relationship because their families were involved but she has not family that live in our region. She moved from her hometown to be with her partner and I was introduced to her by a survivor. This is exactly what she looks like and it is no lie.
I couldn't actually comprehend your statement here...but from the look of things, it seems you're her hero. I'm sure she would forever be grateful to you.

Mrs.Chima:
How can a woman or man get out of an abusive relationship and do you think it is easy to do so even with a sure way out?
Well...there're many ways, she can decide to pack her things and leave if her partner is a threat to her life.

She can go for counseling. Counseling therapy has been proven over the decades to be a way to help the situation...but most couples refuse the counseling method. They refuse outside help thinking they can work it out or iron their own differences out. Maybe they're ashamed to tell people (their friends and families) what they're going through.

What you should or rather she should note is that if you don't train yourselves to look at your arguments as a couple in a more constructive way then chances are you are bound to repeat the same mistakes again and again, until you all get tired and frustrated with the same resurfacing of the problem.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 25, 2012
Long One: ^^^I’m curious, what was it you did, a butt job perhaps? embarassed

No sirrrrrr.
trust, Everything about me or on me is 100 percent real.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by Mynd44: 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2012
I dont get why some women will stay with an abusive woman. Its something I am desperately trying to understand
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 6:10pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mynd_44: I dont get why some women will stay with an abusive woman. Its something I am desperately trying to understand

Mynd... It is difficult to convince some women to leave their abusers. I also have seen men that were abused by their women as well. It is more common then we know but it is happening in silence.

She doesn't have any family members in our area that she can go to for a while. But I have offered to pay for a hotel since she is not allowed to stay at our home. My husband wants no parts of it.

I am mad at him for that but he is my husband so I say nothing else to him about it.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 6:11pm On Sep 25, 2012
CrazyMan:
Nope I've never been in any.

Emm...not really.

From my thoughts and views...I feel domestic violence and abuse are used for one purpose and one purpose only...to gain and maintain total control over you.

Well...you did the right thing (by asking her to leave), I mean...you cannot allow a spouse to treat you poorly, or you’ll wind up hating yourself, your mate, your relationship and your life.  Since your husband is unlikely to change his behavior without being forced into it, it’s going to be up to you to enforce changes in your marriage. 

If your husband asks you to refrain yourself from that subject, then obey him and avoid bringing it up so peace can reign in your home.

He's right you know...what happens in their home is actually none of your business.

Note the bolded...some men just prefer to stay away from other people's territories. They hate engaging themselves in battles that have nothing to do with them or their loved ones. I won't blame him for that.

If you feel much concern for her, then you can report the matter to the authorities (police, court etc)

Are you sure you've convinced her enough? She has been assaulted physically and according to the law, she definitely deserves justice.

Her children is not the issue here...the issue is that she deserves the right to a happy life, she deserves peace of mind...that which her husband has denied her of. So I feel it would be proper if she takes legal action against him.

If she's a christian, she can take the case to God, but in the mean time she must rise up and fight for her right as a woman.

I thought you said you advised her to leave the house for a while?

Don't tell me she's still in that house.

I couldn't actually comprehend your statement here...but from the look of things, it seems you're her hero. I'm sure she would forever be grateful to you.

Well...there're many ways, she can decide to pack her things and leave if her partner is a threat to her life.

She can go for counseling. Counseling therapy has been proven over the decades to be a way to help the situation...but most couples refuse the counseling method. They refuse outside help thinking they can work it out or iron their own differences out. Maybe they're ashamed to tell people (their friends and families) what they're going through.

What you should or rather she should note is that if you don't train yourselves to look at your arguments as a couple in a more constructive way then chances are you are bound to repeat the same mistakes again and again, until you all get tired and frustrated with the same resurfacing of the problem.

The part where you didn't understand my statement...I said that I have helped women leave their abusive partners but for some reason I can't convince her to leave her partner. She is left her hometown to be with him so she doesn't have family members she can call in the area.

Hope you understand now.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 6:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
Long One: ^^^I’m curious, what was it you did, a butt job perhaps? embarassed

This is not a sexual topic. Comot for here! angry angry
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
*Kails*:

I think sherm heads have officially made comebacks on NL. tongue grin

One must take a beating in the name of some unrealistic vow? Im sorry but if this is what marriage means...i will pass. undecided

Girl I ignored that statement....I was like this nigga is high.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by Mynd44: 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
I get your point but I find it hard to stomach. Domestic violence is simply evil.
I know of an instance where the man actually beated his pregnant wife to death
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 6:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mynd_44: I get your point but I find it hard to stomach. Domestic violence is simply evil.
I know of an instance where the man actually beated his pregnant wife to death

Wow. My husband also said in NIgeria...people do not get involve in couple's disputes. But at what point is enough is enough when a woman is walking around with black eyes and swollen lips?

Why doesn't he just leave her and set her free?
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by Mynd44: 6:22pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Wow. My husband also said in NIgeria...people do not get involve in couple's disputes. But at what point is enough is enough when a woman is walking around with black eyes and swollen lips?

Why doesn't he just leave her and set her free?
She should set herself free
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by CrazyMan(m): 6:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
The part where you didn't understand my statement...I said that I have helped women leave their abusive partners but for some reason I can't convince her to leave her partner. She is left her hometown to be with him so she doesn't have family members she can call in the area.

Hope you understand now.
Ok...now I do.

Wao that's a hell of a sacrifice she made (living in a town with no single family member)

Let me ask...since you desperately want to help this lady, have you thought about meeting her husband before? (I would advise you to go alone if at all you want to engage him in a conversation) What kind of person is he? Does he drink? Is he on drugs?

If you want to help this poor lady, there are many ways you can do it.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by tellwsdom: 6:52pm On Sep 25, 2012
This OROBO don come again sad sad
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by LongOne1(m): 7:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
*Kails*:

No sirrrrrr.
trust, Everything about me or on me is 100 percent real.

Nothing do you.

Mrs.Chima:

This is not a sexual topic.  Comot for here!   angry angry

Haba, I contributed, before I got errm *coughs* distracted. I mentioned advising her to go on a trial separation, probably with an ultimatum for the guy to change his ways else it becomes permanent. 
I guess you could also take pictures of her and post to family members instead of that Rihanna pic. Alternatively, get them to lure her home for a visit, then prevent her from going back until the partner comes around.

I have stopped wondering what goes on in some female minds since I was told by one she likes it when her bf beats her a little, call it a fetish or whatever.

At the end of the day, it's her decision to stay or go. Even though you care, you can't make it for her, only point her in the right direction.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 7:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
tellwsdom: This OROBO don come again sad sad

Your mammy.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 7:20pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mynd_44:
She should set herself free

He wont let her.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by tellwsdom: 7:23pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Your mammy.

Sweerie, whats this topic all about again? sad
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 7:24pm On Sep 25, 2012
CrazyMan:
Ok...now I do.

Wao that's a hell of a sacrifice she made (living in a town with no single family member)

Let me ask...since you desperately want to help this lady, have you thought about meeting her husband before? (I would advise you to go alone if at all you want to engage him in a conversation) What kind of person is he? Does he drink? Is he on drugs?

If you want to help this poor lady, there are many ways you can do it.

I have met her husband and he works in construction. You are not allow to drink nor smoke drugs on construction contracts in my area. If you dropped dirty..you are fired.

What other ways i can help her but talk to her and offer to help pay for hotel? I have to watch my hubby as well....he want me to mind my business.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 7:29pm On Sep 25, 2012
Long one....i hear you and actually i am concern about her kids....she is free ti di whatever but her kids shouldnt suffer.

I cant call the police if she wont press charges and have no evidence of child abuse. They wont do shit without such.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by Mynd44: 7:35pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

He wont let her.
What does that mean? She can get a divorce, move somewhere else and if all fails report him to the authorities and get him locked away. She is the one holding herself
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by CrazyMan(m): 7:53pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
I have met her husband and he works in construction. You are not allow to drink nor smoke drugs on construction contracts in my area. If you dropped dirty..you are fired.
I see...so his abrasive nature is inbuilt. He isn't being controlled by any drugs or drinks.

I guess the woman is at fault then. She can't claim not to have noticed his true nature until now...I guess she was a victim of the phrase " love is blind "

I still feel for her though...but its obvious that either the man doesn't love her any more or he's gradually going insane.

Mrs.Chima:
What other ways i can help her but talk to her and offer to help pay for hotel? I have to watch my hubby as well....he want me to mind my business.
Yea I remembered you stating earlier that your husband is against your hospitality towards that lady. Like I stated before, I won't blame him...the matter really isn't any of your business.

Moreover, if you know that getting so involved in this case might cost you your marriage, I would suggest that you harken unto the voice of thine husband and stay the hell out.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by tellwsdom: 8:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mshew chima, is the only OROBO in america who advises OROBO single ladies of her type, when in trouble embarassed embarassed
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MarcAnthon(m): 8:48pm On Sep 25, 2012
Chima, you still alive?

As for your friend, if you live close by, quietly call 911 next time you hear an altercation. Women that continue to remain in abusive relationships need to be saved from themselves. She might be killed one day, and you will have guilt in your heart.
Re: Domestic Violence And Relationships by MrsChima(f): 9:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
MarcAnthon: Chima, you still alive?

As for your friend, if you live close by, quietly call 911 next time you hear an altercation. Women that continue to remain in abusive relationships need to be saved from themselves. She might be killed one day, and you will have guilt in your heart.

You didnt die from a STD yet You are a strong brother.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ideas For Giving My Girlfriend A Special Birthday Treat In Lagos / Ladies: Stop Dating Guys Who Won't Give You TF Whenever You Visit Him.. / WOW!!! Could She Be The Lagos Instagram Girl For The Week?, See Her Endowment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.