Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,943 members, 7,806,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines (2319 Views)

Expect 3hrs Fast Train Ride From Lagos To Abuja Soon - Minister / Nddc Budgets N1.3bn For Fumigation / Kwankwaso Demanded N1.3bn For Own House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by billante(m): 9:09pm On Sep 26, 2012
Abuja – The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday approved N1.3 billion contracts for the design of five fast train lines across the country.

The Minister of Transport, Alhaji Idris Umar, disclosed this after the Council meeting presided over by Vice President Namadi Sambo, at the State House, Abuja.

Umar said that the Council had approved the contracts to ease the burden of transportation across the country.

“Today I brought a memo to Council seeking for the approval to award contract for consultancy services to carry out feasibility studies on five corridors.

“The first is Lagos-Abuja. The Lagos-Abuja is intended to usher in the highest speed train system which is a distance of 615km.

“It is our hope that the train can ply from Lagos- Abuja within a maximum period of three hours with about five stops.

“The total contract sum for the five corridors is N1, 334, 405, 366.74 with a completion period of seven months.’’

The minister said that the light rail, which was conceived to ease transportation problems, would “compete favourably with the air industry’’.

The second rail line is Lagos – Benin with a distance of 300km while the third will run from Ajaokuta – Abuja, a distance of 533km.

The fourth and fifth, from Zaria – Illela and Benin to Aba covered 520km and 500km respectively.

Umar said that government was committed to the resuscitation of the railway system in the country.

He said that a double approach adopted included the rehabilitation of the existing narrow gauge rail lines and the resuscitation of the railway in the area of the modernisation. (NAN)

www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/fg-approves-n1-3bn-for-design-of-5-fast-train-lines/
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by asha80(m): 9:10pm On Sep 26, 2012
guy no be today.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by billante(m): 9:15pm On Sep 26, 2012
Fantastic!!
Lagos to aba passing tru benin asaba onitsha owerri to aba!!

Imagine lagos to abuja in three hrs!! I can go to abuja and come back d same day.

D transport minister seems to be on d Top 3 working ministers in GEJ administration...lots of news coming out of his mininstry everyday
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by asha80(m): 9:21pm On Sep 26, 2012
billante: Fantastic!!
Lagos to aba passing tru benin asaba onitsha owerri to aba!!

Imagine lagos to abuja in three hrs!! I can go to abuja and come back d same day.

D transport minister seems to be on d Top 3 working ministers in GEJ administration...lots of news coming out of his mininstry everyday

are you easily carried away?
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by billante(m): 9:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
asha 80:

Why d Pessimism? Am sure d projects will be done on PPP!
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
asha 80:

lol
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by basisop(m): 10:35pm On Sep 26, 2012
Wash!
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by Horus(m): 11:22pm On Sep 26, 2012
“The first is Lagos-Abuja. The Lagos-Abuja is intended to usher in the highest speed train system which is a distance of 615km.
“It is our hope that the train can ply from Lagos- Abuja within a maximum period of three hours with about five stops.

To do Lagos- Abuja within a maximum period of three hours with about five stops on a 615 km distance this train should go at 200 km per hours minimum. What kind of train is that?
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by azpekuliar: 12:24am On Sep 27, 2012
Horus:

To do Lagos- Abuja within a maximum period of three hours with about five stops on a 615 km distance this train should go at 200 km per hours minimum. What kind of train is that?

Wia u from? There called bullet trains. They've got speeds of over 320km/h...

Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by Nobody: 12:55am On Sep 27, 2012
Again!! While are they always cutting the South East off in these rail project. While can't we have Lagos - Onisha(Enugu,Aba or Imo)?
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by asha80(m): 12:57am On Sep 27, 2012
kenis: Again!! While are they always cutting the South East off in these rail project. While can't we have Lagos - Onisha(Enugu,Aba or Imo)?

The second rail line is Lagos – Benin with a
distance of 300km while the third will run
from Ajaokuta – Abuja, a distance of 533km.
The fourth and fifth, from Zaria – Illela and
Benin to Aba covered 520km and 500km
respectively

not that i am confident in the whole project anyway.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by Horus(m): 1:11am On Sep 27, 2012
azpekuliar:

Wia u from? There called bullet trains. They've got speeds of over 320km/h...

Yes I know that there is rapid trains in Japan but Where is it mentioned in the article that this contract is for a bullet trains?. That was my point. Dont you think it is strange that this "contract" do not even mention the country or factory that will deliver the trains?, this is what I mean when I said: "What kind of train is that?"
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:24am On Sep 27, 2012
When lagos state design their rail line,how many people heard about it?

People started hearing when the rail line was almost done and the pictures speak for the state government.

Must Fed Govt shout to the world their white elephant project?

It takes this administration to approve design?

It will take another administration to review the design

It will now take a new administration to change the plan and probably get it started.

Then it will take another administration to make it half way.

As far as PDP ( Poverty Development Party) is concern,this project is dead on arrival

Let us take Lagos - Ibadan Expressway as an example of my illustration above.

VOTE ACN FOR A CHANGE YOU CAN TRUST

5 Likes

Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by taharqa: 3:14am On Sep 27, 2012
I think that we can trust the Minister to some extent(forget PDP or ACN or even CPC- they are all the same)

[b]
On rails,

the NRC that have been moribund for

very many years have been revived,

more workers re-engaged and most of

its dilapidated facilities across

the nation repaired; all the rail

tracks in the country are been

rehabilitated(actually most of the

tracks have been rehabilitated

already and some intra- and

interstate trains services have

started running after a very long time

in deed). The Standard Guage

Itakpe-Aladja-Warri rail track is

finally completed(with additions

planned) while the Modern Abuja-

Kaduna track is on going(about 30%

completion) just as the Double track

Lagos-Ibadan Modern(which is

different from the narrow guage

Lagos-Ibadan which is already

running trains) has been awarded

about 3 months ago.
The Abuja Modern Light Railways is continuing and the government just secure virtually all the monies needed for the project as concession loan from China.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/31659/2012/08/04/rail_rehabilitation_are_we_waiting_godot.html
file:///C:/Users/odia/Desktop/New%20folder/Newfolder/Nigeria-Federal+Government+Raise+Power+Output+9+000MW.htm[/b]

The Minister is amongst the ministers in this govt that is working. He is actually overseeing arguably Nigeria's most significant transformation in its Transportation Sector(Rails, Inland Waterways, Seaports efficiency etc) in its history.

The projects are also supposed to be done using a PPP arrangement, right? That may make one to have some confidence in the completion of the projects(or at least some of it) apart from an obviously working ministry. We need to however keep putting them on their toes though.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by Kobojunkie: 4:09am On Sep 27, 2012
Naira 1.2 Billion for only design work? How much we go come spend to build the thing?
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by MajeOfficial: 4:23am On Sep 27, 2012
I feel the southeast get's sorted in this deal and it's unfortunate. There's no reason why the southeast shouldn't have a direct line to Abuja, this is ridiculous.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by dayokanu(m): 4:24am On Sep 27, 2012
If 1.2 bn is for design then we can guess how much for the total work
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by azpekuliar: 8:22am On Sep 27, 2012
dayokanu: If 1.2 bn is for design then we can guess how much for the total work

10.2 trillion! grin
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:33am On Sep 27, 2012

The total contract must be calculated in USD,if not People go shout as usual.

Let us say we will get a world bank loan of 6 billion dollars, i am sure we can get started with that.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by billante(m): 8:45am On Sep 27, 2012
Another report!!

The Federal Executive Council yesterday took a major step to ameliorate the transportation challenge in the country as it approved N1.334 billion for the commencement of work on new standard gauge railway lines.

Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, who briefed newsmen, alongside the Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar and Minister of Works, Mike Onolememen said the contract is for feasibility studies of five fast train lines across the country.

He said the fast train lines are for Lagos-Osogbo-Abuja (615km), which could be covered within three hours with five stops; Lagos-Shagamu-Benin (300km); Ajaokuta- Obajana-Abuja (533km); Zaria-Sokoto- Illela (520km) and Benin-Onitsha-Aba (500km).

Maku noted that the proposed new standard gauge railway lines will create total job opportunities for 51 professionals and 115 non-professionals.

Giving an insight into the approval, Minister of Transport,Senator Umar, said some private investors have already signified interest in the projects as soon as feasibility studies are completed.

He said government is desirous to see the project to its conclusion end pointing out that “the idea is to partner with the private sector to develop the high speed train lines.

“There is going to be an international advertisement for investors to show interest. There is no question of fear that it’s going to be a white elephant project,” he said.

Other approval granted were for the construction of Manyam-Ushongo-Lessel-Kartyo-Oju-Agila-Ongba, an inter-state road linking Benue State with its South Eastern state neighbours on the Enugu-Abakaliki road.

The proposed road contract is awarded in favour of Messrs Tilley Gyado & Co, in the sum of N1,035,824,120.10, with a completion period of 14 months will facilitate access to markets, hospitals, schools and generally restore agro-economic and social activities within the host communities.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by billante(m): 8:49am On Sep 27, 2012
[quote author=]I feel the southeast get's sorted in this deal and it's unfortunate. There's no reason why the southeast shouldn't have a direct line to Abuja, this is ridiculous. [/quote]

My thoughts exactly! Dat abuja-ajaokuta rail line should be extended to east, it doesn't make sense ending at ajaokuta.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by taharqa: 11:54am On Sep 27, 2012
billante:

My thoughts exactly! Dat abuja-ajaokuta rail line should be extended to east, it doesn't make sense ending at ajaokuta.
There is already a brand new Standard guage track laid from Ajaokuta through Aladja through Agbor to Warri..maybe they will add dis proposed one to it
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by taharqa: 11:57am On Sep 27, 2012
I think that its a Public-Private Partnership(PPP) initiative
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by taharqa: 11:58am On Sep 27, 2012
[quote author=]I feel the southeast get's sorted in this deal and it's unfortunate. There's no reason why the southeast shouldn't have a direct line to Abuja, this is ridiculous. [/quote] I agree with you
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by DisGuy: 12:29pm On Sep 27, 2012
Horus:

Yes I know that there is rapid trains in Japan but Where is it mentioned in the article that this contract is for a bullet trains?. That was my point. Dont you think it is strange that this "contract" do not even mention the country or factory that will deliver the trains?, this is what I mean when I said: "What kind of train is that?"

in another newspaper and on channels i heard it's for a feasibility study not even a design contract o

these things are all too confusing, cos im sure ive heard the Lagos -Ibadan so many time even 2 weeks ago!!
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by billante(m): 12:47pm On Sep 27, 2012
Dis Guy:

in another newspaper and on channels i heard it's for a feasibility study not even a design contract o

these things are all too confusing, cos im sure ive heard the Lagos -Ibadan so many time even 2 weeks ago!!

Of course d money is for fesibilty study!
How can u build 5 speed rail tracks for just 9 million dollars....the full cost of all those tracks should not be less than 10 billion dollars if it is speed train they actually want to build.

Like d minister said it will be done on PPP! so funds might not be a problem! Cause sincerely federal goverment does not have dat amount to build them! they will definately be abandoned if they try to.

The best FG can do, which it is trying to do is to carry out d fesibilty study, give d investor right of way and all neccessary condusive enviroment for the investor to work with.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by PointB: 12:52pm On Sep 27, 2012
At least some one is having the correct dream!
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by DisGuy: 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2012
The Federal Executive Council (FEC)
on Wednesday approved N1.3 billion
contracts for the design of five fast train lines
across the country.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by billante(m): 1:03pm On Sep 27, 2012
[quote author=Dis Guy][/quote]

Na the newspaper dat wrote d story dat got it wrong! It should be fesibility study....I think it is d person dat will construct d rail lines dat should design!
Since it is not FG dat will construct d rail,they shld not design for d investor.
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by Dotman01(m): 2:17pm On Sep 27, 2012
basisop: Wash!
na over wash
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by successcertain: 11:18pm On Mar 11, 2013
where are the fast train? is 6 months already and a month left to the said 7 months abi na wash? lipsrsealed
Re: FG Approves N1.3bn For Design Of 5 Fast Train Lines by OmoTier1(m): 11:32pm On Mar 11, 2013
successcertain: where are the fast train? is 6 months already and a month left to the said 7 months abi na wash? lipsrsealed
See them here ..https://www.nairaland.com/1222446/railway-passengers-lament-undue-delays#14713665

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drama In Obio Akpor As Chairman Refuses To Hand Over / Nigeria's Non Oil Export Increases Tenfold In 2yrs From $276m To $3.72billion / Court Re-instates Deposed Emir Of Gwandu Jokolo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.