Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? (6606 Views)

Cars On The Street - A Lagos Car Street Photography Album | LensAndLagos / Driving Road Worthy Cars On Nigerian Unworthy Roads / Cars On Google Trader Very Cheap . How Real?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 8:28pm On Oct 07, 2012
datola: This is not in any way to water down the importance of sefety in cars. When I was shopping for a car I insisted on having side airbags in addition to the front ones and[b] my highly educated friends were like: what kind of a christian are you putting his faith in airbags.[/b]

God never said we should not protect ourself too, we will be making a fool out of God when we intentionally accept danger and yet look up to God cos we have faith in him , , , , This is not about faith, but knowledge.
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by datola: 8:56pm On Oct 07, 2012
Fhemmmy:

That is not true at all, but this makes me to think of an analogy, A man that has never seen more than a one bedroom house, given millions of $$ told to build a house will only build a one bedroom house, cos that is all he ever knew, such is the case of people that have bought a brand new ride in Nigeria, all they ever known is 2 airbags at the front, but please note that a normal ride made by reliable people for humans comes with minimum 6 airbags, and if you ever seen an accident of a roll over vehicle, you will change your mind that side curtain airbags are just as important as the 2 that you thought are the most important, head injury is one of the most dangerous injury . . . .

I said Side/Curtain Airbags are sometimes optional in American spec vehicles. Our 01 Sienna has 4 airbags whereas most (of course they are all US spec) I see around have only two, so also is the popular 2003-2008 Corolla. It became standard from 2009 model.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corolla/2008/

Nigerian brand new cars are improving too. Kia Rios now come with airbags unlike before when they had none. 2012 Hyundai Elantra is fixed with several airbags.

But I must tell you, most Nigerians resident in Nigeria don't even appreciate airbags. They do no bother about how many airbags a car has before buying. You can imagine a corolla of 4 million Naira having only two and all the corporate people see it as the best vehicles around
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 9:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
Chief, what you saying is not what we are saying, forget about when the airbag was made to be standard feature, the point remains that, this is 2012 and Nigeria and her govt is still allowing people to sell brand new rides with no airbags or just 2 airbags, that is rubbish and besides, there are more that are missing in those "Brand New" rides sold in Nigeria . .. they are nothing but moving coffins on wheels
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 9:10pm On Oct 07, 2012
datola:
But I must tell you, most Nigerians resident in Nigeria don't even appreciate airbags. They do no bother about how many airbags a car has before buying. You can imagine a corolla of 4 million Naira having only two and all the corporate people see it as the best vehicles around

That is cos they are not educated about it . . . It is called Ignorance.
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by datola: 9:39pm On Oct 07, 2012
Fhemmmy: Chief, what you saying is not what we are saying, forget about when the airbag was made to be standard feature, the point remains that, this is 2012 and Nigeria and her govt is still allowing people to sell brand new rides with no airbags or just 2 airbags, that is rubbish and besides, there are more that are missing in those "Brand New" rides sold in Nigeria . .. they are nothing but moving coffins on wheels[/b]

@Fhemmmy, you are a Nigerian right? If in the affirmative, let's educate our people about it, starting from Nairaland. Let's discourage people selling/buying cars with just two or no airbag.

I appreciate your usual indepth analysis of auto issue.
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 9:41pm On Oct 07, 2012
datola:

@Fhemmmy, you are a Nigerian right? If in the affirmative, let's educate our people about it, starting from Nairaland. Let's discourage people selling/buying cars with just two or no airbag.

I appreciate your usual indepth analysis of auto issue.

Yes, and one of my ways of educating the people is by no compromising my value cos of what people will say and cos of how much money i wanna make to now sell people "below standard" ride . . . I cant imagine my wife driving a ride with no airbag and i will sleep well at night all cos i wanna save money, so i wont sell such car to no one, i will walk away from a deal than to sell a junk for money.

1 Like

Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Areaboy2(m): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2012
Fhemmmy: Chief, what you saying is not what we are saying, forget about when the airbag was made to be standard feature, the point remains that, this is 2012 and Nigeria and her govt is still allowing people to sell brand new rides with no airbags or just 2 airbags, that is rubbish and besides, there are more that are missing in those "Brand New" rides sold in Nigeria . .. they are nothing but moving coffins on wheels

I still disagree with you.
why not point out those things "missing" here. It seems all we've done is argue about airbag and no airbag. You fail to realise that airbags only deploy at certain speeds with certain impacts. Some statistics should always follow the need for added airbags.

Asides multiple airbags, i'm confident everything else is an accessory
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Oct 08, 2012
Area_boy: Asides multiple airbags, i'm confident everything else is an accessory

Like what?
Besides, like i said earlier that you spend hours and hours in your car that you spent so money to buy, so give me a reason why you should not have nough toys in it to make your driving fun and comfortable, imagine a car with distorted sound system and you have to drive such car from Lagos to Abuja . . .
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by KA24DETT(m): 8:55pm On Oct 08, 2012
I still disagree with you.
why not point out those things "missing" here. It seems all we've done is argue about airbag and no airbag. You fail to realise that airbags only deploy at certain speeds with certain impacts. Some statistics should always follow the need for added airbags.

Asides multiple airbags, i'm confident everything else is an accessory [/quote]

There are other safety mechanism like Active head restraints, Seatbelt pre-tensioners ,crumple zones. Like Fhemmmy said, there is a lot of cost cutting and most nigerians are driving death coffins. 50% of all the cars sold in Nigeria are accidented cars and most of them are repaired with the airbags replaced BUT the sensors are not replaced. Nigerians would sell anything to make money
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by ijigbamigb(m): 10:33pm On Oct 08, 2012
Fhemmy's analysis is making me hasten my thought to have me 04 Corolla sold.
Please help me here, are there brands to look out for when replacing once's shock absorbers...changed the front shocks some 5 months ago and now it worse...(meanwhile i used the once that came with it for almost 2 years)
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Areaboy2(m): 1:19am On Oct 09, 2012
I still think we are chasing red herrings here.

The main issue is whether brand new cars in Nigeria are just as good (in terms of basic safety) as the same car from overseas market?

Brand new cars from dealers in Nigeria will still give you the desired safety features to improve the chance of survival in a serious collision. The right question is; what are the necessary safety features in a car?

Crumple zones come with the body work and chassis. Unless you want to tell me we have a different chassis/bodywork from the american models?

Seatbelt pre-tensioner is not even standard in American cars yet, much more Nigeria. Again, Locking retractors (which we all have) are just as competent in 95% of collisions.

Active head restraints, the story is the same here. new feature that isn't standard yet even in the USA.

Keep in mind that the challenge faced on an American highway is different from that in Nigeria

Now do we rather rely on american cars that are mostly salvage and don't even have these so called safety features in good working order or we get a car from our local accredited dealers? I guess that's a question for everyone to answer how they deem fit. I've seen a lexus gs on this same Nairaland with 5000 miles on its odo and even having protective film wrapped all around the door handles claiming almost new. Only to check out the carfax report and find out the car was basically junk with odo rolled back from over 40k miles. If that isn't evil, then i don't know what evil is

The truth is, Luxury is one thing but saying we have sub standard (safety) cars is a bold statement
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by JUO(m): 2:20pm On Oct 09, 2012
When you say below safety standard, do you mean Toyota will knowingly sell a car that isnt up to international standards in Nigeria? All in the name of profit? I strongly doubt that!
yes their brand new haice bus has no head rest if you feel am lying go ask S.O.N
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 2:23pm On Oct 09, 2012
KA24DETT:
There are other safety mechanism like Active head restraints, Seatbelt pre-tensioners ,crumple zones. Like Fhemmmy said, there is a lot of cost cutting and most nigerians are driving death coffins. 50% of all the cars sold in Nigeria are accidented cars and most of them are repaired with the airbags replaced BUT the sensors are not replaced. Nigerians would sell anything to make money

You will be lucky if they replace the airbags at all, i have heard stories of where they just cover it back and mask taped it, and yet someone will buy at cheaper price and jump that he has got a deal.
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 2:27pm On Oct 09, 2012
Area_boy:
The main issue is whether brand new cars in Nigeria are just as good (in terms of basic safety) as the same car from overseas market?

Brand new cars from dealers in Nigeria will still give you the desired safety features to improve the chance of survival in a serious collision. The right question is; what are the necessary safety features in a car?

Is there a possibility of Roll over accident in Nigeria?
Is there a possibility of T-Bone collision in Nigeria?
Are the brand new rides sold in Nigeria to the people equipped to withstand such or safe enuf to protect the people at all? . . Answer that question and i am done with the argument . . . Lol
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by aaidel(m): 12:17am On Oct 10, 2012
The way I see things even abroad the higher spec cars which naturally are more expensive have better and more safety features now if in nigeria the duty on new cars is high then even the accredited dealers will bring in the more affordable lower spec vehicles than the higher spec ones which would lead to casesof. Brand new one having fewer safety features than a 2nd hand american used
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Areaboy2(m): 12:18pm On Oct 10, 2012
^^

Agreed, but the comparison I'm making here is between a brand new car from America and a brand new car from our dealers here. We are talking about cars of the same model.

Mind you, we do not assemble any Toyota or Honda in Nigeria, these are simply imports of ready assembled cars.

I can understand the argument that our dealers here sell more base model (for example LX model accord) because they are simply cheaper. If someone with the cash requests an EX, he will get the same standard features Honda will put in their cars. However, these are trims for the European/Asian market and you don't expect to get everything an American trim will get.

But I've said it and I'll say it again, that doesn't make the cars sub standard.
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by aaidel(m): 9:08am On Oct 15, 2012
I agree with you but then I think that's the point fhemmy and co are making even if the cars aren't substandard they still contain less safety features than the american models and sometimes due to legislations in the states you might find an american assembled LX having more safety features than say a jap or european one.
What we should be looking at is reducing the cost of duty and then making appropriate laws about the minimum safety standards needed in vehicles brought into nigeria
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 2:38pm On Oct 15, 2012
aaidel: I agree with you but then I think that's the point fhemmy and co are making even if the cars aren't substandard they still contain less safety features than the american models and sometimes due to legislations in the states you might find an american assembled LX having more safety features than say a jap or european one.
What we should be looking at is reducing the cost of duty and [size=18pt]then making appropriate laws about the minimum safety standards[/size] needed in vehicles brought into nigeria

That was well said . . . Kudos
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Kashif(m): 4:57pm On Oct 15, 2012
There are difinitely some differences between brand new cars here (especially Toyotas) and American assembly. With all these new corollas and even Avensis, their ACs stop cooling when the car comes to a halt on a sunny day. Its American counterparts keep cooling. I have experienced it with different cars! angry
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 5:23pm On Oct 15, 2012
Kashif: There are difinitely some differences between brand new cars here (especially Toyotas) and American assembly. With all these new corollas and even Avensis, their ACs stop cooling when the car comes to a halt on a sunny day. Its American counterparts keep cooling. I have experienced it with different cars! angry

Thanks for this info, i am sure my other friend will come now and say it was an optional thing . . . Lol
Inasmuch as i do agree that even in Canada, A/C is an option in some brand new cars, like Chevy, how come same are not comparable?
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by Areaboy2(m): 8:17pm On Oct 15, 2012
But why compare to the American standard? why cant we have our own standards for the road condition we have?

I can bet all Japanese/European standards will pass any safety test we implement.

The whole thing is just a hype for American cars and we should be honest about that rather than hanging it on safety.
ABS
Seatbelts
Active head restraints
Front /side airbags
Crumple zone

what more do you really need? come on! with all the safety features in American cars they still record about 40,000 deaths per year! I doubt we have anywhere near that number here in Nigeria Even with our "sub safety" cars?. So it really isn't about safety
why don't we push the standards up to high performance cars? American cars don't even come close to their German and Italian competition.

If we wana argue Luxury features and price, then we can have a field day debating whether american cars are better than any other competition. But if we are gona stick to arguing about safety then I don't think we are being fair.
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by aaidel(m): 4:16am On Nov 15, 2012
But I think we already established that the american cars have more safety features as a result of legislation that makes those features by law a must, the same legislations might not be in effect in european or asian countries.
What is yet to be proven is wether there are differences between 2 cars of the same trim and model due to where they are assembled because I would hope the car manufacturers have a baseic level of quality that all their cars must meet
Re: Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? by aaidel(m): 1:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
But I think we already established that the american cars have more safety features as a result of legislation that makes those features by law a must, the same legislations might not be in effect in european or asian countries.
What is yet to be proven is wether there are differences between 2 cars of the same trim and model due to where they are assembled because I would hope the car manufacturers have a basic level of quality that all their cars must meet

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... / Kia Cerato 2013 Vs Hyundai Elantra 2013 / Help! Serpentine Belt Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.