Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum (8633 Views)

Prof. Theo Vincent, Ex-uniport VC Who Lives In A Slum / Makoko Floating School, Lagos In Pictures / Floating School At Makoko By NLE & Kunle Adeyemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 29, 2012
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — In the waterfront slum of Makoko in Nigeria's largest city where shacks stand above the murky, fetid water on stilts of cast-aside lumber, an architect thinks the neighborhood should float.

Kunle Adeyemi hopes to build a three-story school out of 16 floating platforms lashed together, capable of holding 100 students and teachers in the iconic slum. He said the project, if successful, could be replicated into homes for the more than 100,000 people who live in the slum, clearly visible to traffic speeding past on city's Third Mainland Bridge each day.

However, Adeyemi's project comes as the Lagos state government already razed homes in the slum, putting residents on edge that officials may still try to destroy the entire neighborhood where families have lived for decades.

"If the people don't live here, they'll live somewhere else," Adeyemi said Thursday. "What we're only trying to do is offer them a better solution."
The project involves building the platforms out of locally sourced wood and empty plastic drums, then using wooded beams to build a structure that would have a common area for children to play on as its base, with two floors for classrooms above it. The building would also include bathroom facilities, something lacking in a slum where most relieve themselves by hovering over the water.

The school project, which has received notice from international groups, will cost about $6,250 to complete in the slum, Adeyemi said. While that's not an incredible sum of money, that's far more than the worth of any of the small, single-room homes raised on stilts above the water of the Lagos Lagoon. Those living in Makoko subsist largely as fishermen and workers in nearby saw mills, cutting up water-logged timber that's floated into the city daily. Some work jobs outside of the slum as gate guards and in other industries, though most live almost entirely within its watery boundaries.

The people of Makoko have created their own life independent from the state, with its own schools and clinics, however ill-equipped. But recently, the state government destroyed homes and left about 3,000 people homeless. The government later stopped the demolitions, but many here remain worried they will come back.

Projects like the school, as well as improving the homes already on the water, would make the area less of an eyesore and would rid it of the constant smell of smoke and decay. Adeyemi, who works both in Lagos and Amsterdam, said he's spoken with government officials who seem largely supportive of his project, which also could help the neighborhood survive no matter what environmental challenges come in the future.

"Particularly in view of climate change, there's a need to adapt buildings," the architect said. "We decided to use this as a prototype for developing something whether the water level rises or goes down, the building responds to that."

Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Source

Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Callotti: 12:28am On Sep 30, 2012
This is good news. . .
If the state of Lousiana can do it. . .so can Lagos State! cheesy
The parents will appreciate the children out of the house. . . .period! grin
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 30, 2012
No one should be allowed to build new structures on that slum. I propose the slum be destroyed and alternative living location assigned to the occupants of the slum. Say No to slum dogs. Its not a decent way to live or die.

1 Like

Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by ebamma(m): 9:04am On Sep 30, 2012
Nigeria my country where many live in the slums but our politicians are building towers and skyscrapers to live abroad
Nigeria my country where members of a church trek to church but the pastor has 3 private jets
Nigeria my country where The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer

3 Likes

Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by mkmyers45(m): 9:05am On Sep 30, 2012
Not a good idea..Re-settlement will be far better
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by ebamma(m): 9:09am On Sep 30, 2012
Billyonaire: No one should be allowed to build new structures on that slum. I propose the slum be destroyed and alternative living location assigned to the occupants of the slum. Say No to slum dogs. Its not a decent way to live or die.
another rich kid running his mouth,do u think that this people love living in the slums?,its just that the can't afford the high rent charged by lagos landlords that's why the live there,If you can afford a duplex thank your God because there are many people out there who can't.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Nobody: 9:18am On Sep 30, 2012
ebamma: another rich kid running his mouth,do u think that this
people love living in the slums?,its just that the can't afford the high
rent charged by lagos landlords that's why the live there,If you can afford a duplex thank your God because there are many people out there who can't.

why do u all keep calling him a "rich kid?" Is it because u know him as BILLYONAIRE? cheesy
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by malexito(m): 9:33am On Sep 30, 2012
If he can do it, then its a welcomed development.its no fun living that place.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by warrior01: 9:37am On Sep 30, 2012
Ipso Loquita:

why do u all keep calling him a "rich kid?" Is it because u know him as BILLYONAIRE? cheesy

why you dey beef the poor guy for wanting to be a billionaire.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by EkoAtlantic2(f): 9:37am On Sep 30, 2012
Eko oni baje lailai!!!

Brb, church things
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:54am On Sep 30, 2012
But this Makoko has been marked for demolition. I pity the poor peeps living there.

¤SOBS in a rich tone...
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 30, 2012
How I hope it's done, and done fast.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 30, 2012
ebamma: another rich kid running his mouth,do u think that this people love living in the slums?,its just that the can't afford the high rent charged by lagos landlords that's why the live there,If you can afford a duplex thank your God because there are many people out there who can't.
I guess you didnt notice my recommendation that they be given alternative living condition. You have been blinded by class warfare.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by bankyblue(m): 10:29am On Sep 30, 2012
bad idea, two store in the slumb!? hmmm, NEMA be on the watch o. God help us
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 30, 2012
Wow! Interesting!
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Diamondwriter(m): 12:04pm On Sep 30, 2012
Interesting
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by leslieu63(m): 12:14pm On Sep 30, 2012
thumbs up for rickross hold me back video, but how will this affect the price of garri and beans na.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by purpinkx(m): 12:16pm On Sep 30, 2012
Is it me or does that boy look pretty angry ... Mayb he was told to smile 4 a cup of garri
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by purpinkx(m): 12:16pm On Sep 30, 2012
Is it me or does that boy look pretty angry ... Mayb he was told to smile 4 a cup of garri
u neva can tell
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by chucky234(m): 12:41pm On Sep 30, 2012
A floating school? But why didn't Fashola think of something that will better the lives of the people who live in Makoko rather than destroying the place without alternative homes for them,the idea of a floating school or a floating residential blocks is a great one,beside there are many of such floating structures in Austria.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by newnaira: 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2012
Floating school? May start well, but what will become of it after ten years?
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Ivynwa(f): 1:50pm On Sep 30, 2012
What fr*aking floating school are they talking about?. Has land finished in Nigeria that people will use wood to construct houses on top of water to live and school in? My heart nearly jumps out of my body seeing such houses and wondering how humans can live in wooden houses above water without walking on solid ground like everybody else. They should go build them low cost houses somewhere and relocate them out of that slum and they are talking of building schools that children will be attending in boats and climbing wooden houses as if they are enwe (monkey or something). Mtcheeeeeeeeeeew, Abeg.

1 Like

Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by lastpage: 5:41pm On Sep 30, 2012
purpinkx: Is it me or does that boy look pretty angry ... Mayb he was told to smile 4 a cup of garri
u neva can tell
IT IS YOU! grin grin grin

That picture is of a GIRL.......not a boy!

......and she looks astonished
, thinking in her mind: What da feck are they taking my picture for, after destroying my house?

When you are traumatized like these kids are, ....and you cant do a thing about it,
your pain and anger metamorphoses into a kind of "weird smile" angry angry

Lastpage!
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by somegirl1: 6:41pm On Sep 30, 2012
lastpage:

, thinking in her mind: What da feck are they taking my picture for, after destroying my house?

When you are traumatized like these kids are, ....and you cant do a thing about it,

Lastpage!

How do you know it's a girl and not a boy?
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by 2mch(m): 7:44pm On Sep 30, 2012
I thought they were destroying the slums. They should destroy it. Those people living on the water are creating a health risk for all Lagos residents. Demolish, and arrest illegal immigrants. They are too many there adding to the filth and chaos. Imagine. .Later they will be yabbing Nigerians. If you cant pay rent, stay in your fathers house.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by trusteeship(f): 7:49pm On Sep 30, 2012
thats creativity,nija nids more of this to improve her economy and living standard of nigerians
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Beync(f): 7:50pm On Sep 30, 2012
are these nigerians?
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Onegai(f): 8:52pm On Sep 30, 2012
I'm not in support until I see the construction drawings and a health and safety report. Is that area safe environmentally? What will the school building look like and be supported on?
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Kobojunkie: 11:32pm On Sep 30, 2012
A floating school is good news? So, all the floating schools that were recently destroyed by the government, what were does? "Floating above water" schools? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Ivynwa(f): 5:28am On Oct 01, 2012
lastpage:

Lastpage!

Loling at the "weird smile"
This Mr lastpage dey funny o-o.
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 01, 2012
Onegai: I'm not in support until I see the construction drawings and a health and safety report. Is that area safe environmentally? What will the school building look like and be supported on?

EIS
Re: A Floating School Proposed For Makoko Waterfront Slum by doublecross(m): 11:54am On Oct 01, 2012
too bad and painful my brother. may God help us all.
ebamma: Nigeria my country where many live in the slums but our politicians are building towers and skyscrapers to live abroad
Nigeria my country where members of a church trek to church but the pastor has 3 private jets
Nigeria my country where The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer

(1) (2) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Masters Programme / End Time: SEE What A Futa Student Posted After Raping 2 Girls Forced / How To Apply For Seplat JV National Undergraduate Scholarship For 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.