Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire (4518 Views)

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) / Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down / Shell Shuts Down Nigerian Gas Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by semid4lyfe(m): 10:41pm On Sep 30, 2012

The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) has shut the 28-inch Bomu –Bonny Trunk line after discovering a fire on it early Sunday morning.

The raging inferno is assumed to have been caused by a burning vessel which is alleged to have vandalised the trunk line to steal crude oil.

A statement signed by Shell’s Corporate Media Relations Manager, Tony Okonedo, alleged that “a burning vessel, thought to be involved in the theft of crude oil from the line, was sighted near the incident site, close to Okololunch community in the Eastern Niger Delta.”

According to the oil giant, the Bomu–Bonny Trunk line conveys crude oil to Bonny Terminal and some 150,000 barrels of oil per day is deferred due to the incident.

The Bomu – Bonny trunk line is part of the Trans Niger Pipeline, “which itself has been repeatedly targeted by crude thieves” the statement added.

The burning vessel seen in the picture is currently engulfed in raging flames and thick smoke.

Shell’s Vice President for Health, Safety, Environment and Corporate Affairs, Sub-Saharan Africa, Tony Attah, stated that “this incident clearly demonstrates the scale of the oil theft problem which, alongside the hundreds of illegal refineries in the Delta, is having such a profound effect on the people, communities and the environment.”

Lamenting the unabated level of oil theft in the creeks of the Niger Delta and the resultant devastation to the environment, Mr Attah warned that “until these activities are brought to a halt there will be no improvement in the environmental situation”

The statement claimed SPDC is “mobilising to fight the fire, investigate the cause and carry out repairs.”

“Last year, sabotage and crude oil theft were also the cause of 11,806 barrels spilled from SPDC facilities in 118 incidents.”

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/09/30/shell-shuts-bomu-bonny-pipeline-over-fire-caused-by-crude-oil-thieves/
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Sunofgod(m): 11:07pm On Sep 30, 2012
Seems like 'Shell' has an excuse for all its environmetal contamination . . . .

An excuse to get out of its 1billion dollar clean up operation of the Delta?
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Crown128(m): 11:10pm On Sep 30, 2012
Hmm! May God help us all
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Nobody: 11:11pm On Sep 30, 2012
Seems like another fuel scarcity looms ahead. A strategic collaboration between Shell and the independent marketers.

Xmas approaches and it is time to maximize profits and balance up the yearly accounts.

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by alaoeri: 11:11pm On Sep 30, 2012
Nemesis catch up with illegal bunkers.
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by ebamma(m): 11:14pm On Sep 30, 2012
Wetin concern me,make i go sleep jare

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by DonaldGenes(m): 11:16pm On Sep 30, 2012
Eyaaaaaaaa! Abeq no comment jor*
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by MrLee(m): 11:16pm On Sep 30, 2012
Shell should go and do proper environmental cleanup of that creek and its environment.
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Arobam: 11:18pm On Sep 30, 2012
O boy see fire!
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by MrLee(m): 11:19pm On Sep 30, 2012
alaoeri: Nemesis catch up with illegal bunkers.
if u no get any time 4 mouth just dey read n don't said any thing.
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 30, 2012
See as fuel dey waste meanwhile I siddon for filling station for one hour to buy only 5litres of fuel! God punish poverty!! undecided
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 30, 2012
Who are the 'illegal bunkerers'?

Afterall the man that we normally call to help us 'tap' electricity from the next street that has light is normally a PHCN official who is off-duty.

Who else knows the location of these pipes, the routes to smuggle it out, the vessels to use, and the officials to bribe? If not the staff themselves.

Shell and its collaborators within the government have quickly done a quick damage control to blame it on bunkerers.

Ok where are the bunkerers? What is the vessel's name? What of other logistics involved?

Illegal bunkerers my azz.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 30, 2012

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by MrLee(m): 11:22pm On Sep 30, 2012
Hai see money wey boys 4 chop these fire no try.
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by MrLee(m): 11:22pm On Sep 30, 2012
One gaint drum of dissel na 9k times those barrals haba c money wey just go like that.
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Shaw007(m): 11:30pm On Sep 30, 2012
. . .Fuel scracity Incoming,take Cover. . .that is one huge fire,. . .
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Nobody: 11:48pm On Sep 30, 2012
Moreover, why is there still any bunkring going on?

I thought Asari Dokubor was given the multi-billion naira contract to protect all pipelines and end bunkering especially in that region

Naija: the more you look, the less you see sad
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by doctokwus: 12:18am On Oct 01, 2012
Despite d billions paid to criminals turned contractors in d persons of boyloaf,tompolo& Asari to protect this same pipelines;despite d billions paid out as salary to glorified jobless youths(&adults)& ghost names posing as former militants,dese vandalisms& illegal bunkering still take place,and yet pple still fool themselves to think dis contraception called nigeria will b better,I laff in calabari!

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Nobody: 7:02am On Oct 01, 2012
goodluck johnathan , badluck nigeria

fuel scarcity everywhere
out of control terrorists in the north
out of control robbers and kidnappers in the south
environmental disaster in the ND which will lead to reduced income for nigeria
flooding in the NE which will lead to severe food shortages

is there any doubt that the man is a curse on nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by friedrice1: 8:00am On Oct 01, 2012
I thought the Picture is clear enough for everyone to see, why still blame shell?
Mr Lee: Shell should go and do proper environmental cleanup of that creek and its environment.
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by debosky(m): 8:52am On Oct 01, 2012
Not surprising really - with the level of bunkering going on it's a wonder we haven't seen more of these incidents.

What is the Nigerian Navy doing if ships can so easily 'park up' and siphon crude illegally? Probably colluding with the crude thieves. . . .as for the large 'contracts' (or bribes) given to the likes of Dokubo and co, we can see how effective that expenditure truly is.

Unfortunately the pollution caused by this leak will likely take years to clean up, if it is ever cleaned up that is.

I guess this is an 'independence' anniversary present for Nigeria. undecided
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 01, 2012
debosky: Not surprising really - with the level of bunkering going on it's a wonder we haven't seen more of these incidents.

the economist described nigeria in an article as the world capital of crude oil theft
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by PHSAIQ: 1:19pm On Oct 01, 2012
...we all know the problem, but where do we start to solve the problem, is it the President who does not acknowledge that bunkering is a major problem, empowers Asari to protect oil pipelines and does nothing about the UNEP report, or is it NNPC that owns majority stake in the oil business and remains mute, or do we continue to blame Shell from continuing to produce oil the main stay of the economy, or it is NIMSA that is suppose the registers vessels, where is DPR that is suppose to regulate the industry, and NOSDRA that is suppose to detect and response to spills, or is it the Navy that cannot spot such a large vessel, haba maybe we should blame Asari that has chopped FGN money and cannot look after the pipeline that he once siphoped oil from, or is it the gallant JTF that reports arrests of vandals with 4 jerry cans of crude oil weekly, or the community youth and women that watches bunkering happen within is community and even assist the bunkers, should we not try to identify the mother and girlfriend of the bunkerer?,or the Oyibo guys that buy the illegal crude,or is the NGO that only see an enemy in Shell,....for me everybody plays a part in this continuing tragedy....Nigeria go survive.........
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Limaoscar: 2:29pm On Oct 01, 2012
Seems like 'Shell' has an excuse for all its environmetal contamination . . . .

An excuse to get out of its 1billion dollar clean up operation of the Delta?

My friend, do you know what Reading Comprehension is all about?
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by otokx(m): 3:29pm On Oct 01, 2012
The oil thieves it is rumored are in collusion with all them security agencies and militant warlords, the only misfortune they have now is the fire outbreak or they would have succeeded and shared the cash PDP style.
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 01, 2012
Department of Petroleum Resources (especially Port Harcourt Zonal Office), NIMASA, NAVY,SHELL,NOSDRA oya make una activate NOSCP immediatley. Tell CNA to mobilize clean-up equipments.
Shut down the valves.Inform production platforms to stop pumping crude. Isolate the and starve the affected line. Monitor burning of crude on vessel. (If na me I go make sure say all the crude burn finish so that the vessel no go even get salvage value).
Deploy ocean booms and skimmers around the vessel (not too close) and recover/disperse fugitive leaked oil continously. Get help from other IOCs if need be.
Fight fire when level of fire reduces.
Survey level of damage of vessel. And Handover vessel demob to NIMASA.Meanwhile during demob emmergency response for fire and spill should be on standby mode.
Oya I don activate emmergency response. Lol! smiley
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by kodewrita(m): 6:51am On Oct 02, 2012
Look at the size of that thing. I refuse to believe this is the work of small boys in the creeks.

I might be wrong sha but it seems the numbers on this ship have even been blacked out. Look at the black patch on that side.

hmmmn, Lets see how the navy will explain allowing a ship this big to sail into nigerian waters and leisurely tap oil.
Re: Shell Shuts Bomu–Bonny Pipeline Due To Fire by debosky(m): 11:50am On Oct 02, 2012
dabriggs: Department of Petroleum Resources (especially Port Harcourt Zonal Office), NIMASA, NAVY,SHELL,NOSDRA oya make una activate NOSCP immediatley. Tell CNA to mobilize clean-up equipments.
Shut down the valves.Inform production platforms to stop pumping crude. Isolate the and starve the affected line. Monitor burning of crude on vessel. (If na me I go make sure say all the crude burn finish so that the vessel no go even get salvage value).
Deploy ocean booms and skimmers around the vessel (not too close) and recover/disperse fugitive leaked oil continously. Get help from other IOCs if need be.
Fight fire when level of fire reduces.
Survey level of damage of vessel. And Handover vessel demob to NIMASA.Meanwhile during demob emmergency response for fire and spill should be on standby mode.
Oya I don activate emmergency response. Lol! smiley

That's what a working government would do - but just watch as Goodluck continues to sleep on the job on this one.

Then a few months/years later, some idiots will be asking Shell to pay compensation for an incident that a swift response would have limited its effects.

(1) (Reply)

5 Best Forex Traders In The World You Should Know About / Distributors Needed For Peak Yam Pounding Machine / How Did Folorunsho Alakija Become A Billionaire From A Tailoring Company?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.