Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,255 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm (1259 Views)

Man Grows Third Ear On His Arm - Newstac / Answering Phone Calls With The Right Ear: Unhealthy Or Not? / PLEASE HELP. I Have Cotton Wool From Ear Bud Stuck In Ear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by ektbear: 8:55am On Oct 01, 2012
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Johns Hopkins doctors are once again making history–this time by using a woman’s own tissue to build her a new ear.

Derek Valcourt explains with doctors’ help, her own body has replaced what an aggressive form of cancer took away.

You don’t have to tell Sherrie Walters her story sounds like science fiction.

“No, I feel like an experiment,” Walters said.

The discovery of a rapidly-spreading basal cell cancer in her ear in 2008 required the removal of part of her ear, part of her skull and her left ear canal. But now, in a groundbreaking and complicated set of surgeries, Johns Hopkins doctors have attached a new ear made from Walters’ own tissue.

“I thought of this exact strategy many years before and really was looking for the right patient to try it on,” said renowned plastic and reconstructive surgeon Dr. Patrick Byrne.

Byrne used cartilage from Walters’ ribs to stitch together a new ear matching her right ear. He then implanted it under the skin of her forearm, where it grew for months.

“We started making jokes just to try to get used to it and I was like, `Can you hear me? Can you hear me?’ said Sherrie’s husband, Damien.

Byrne later surgically attached the ear and its blood vessels. Then surgery Tuesday added shape and detail to the ear.

It’s been an emotional ride for Sherrie and her husband.

“It just didn’t seem like anything we’d ever heard of so to see the progression and to see how everything has come out has been just great to kind of come to fruition,” said Walters.

“In my opinion, how it’s just a matter of time as the swelling goes down and it heals, I believe she will have a normal looking ear,” said Byrne.

Though recovery isn’t over, Sherrie considers herself lucky and hopes others learn from her story.

“And it’s a cliche but use the sunscreen and if you are not sure about something, get it checked because that’s what I didn’t do,” she said.

She still has two more minor surgeries to go. If all continues to go well, her doctor hopes the newly constructed ear will last for decades.

She’s able to hear from her left side thanks to a special hearing aid.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/09/26/hopkins-doctors-give-woman-a-new-ear/
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by ektbear: 8:57am On Oct 01, 2012
Medical science is just....amazing. Fascinating. They do things that sound like things I'd read about in science fiction books as a kid.
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by Biggyd2: 9:03am On Oct 01, 2012
OMG, when are we going to get there? We are still fighting malaria, infant mortality and polio. God help us.
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by mkmyers45(m): 9:14am On Oct 01, 2012
This is good news..with Such Advances im sure Regenerative medicine will be feasible in the next few decades and then humans can live for long [200+ years] #Threadshouldbemovedtohealth
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by ektbear: 9:24am On Oct 01, 2012
We (the African man) shall get there too, one day. I pray.
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by masterpiecer(m): 9:31am On Oct 01, 2012
Bravo! i guess there's still alot to come from stem cell exploration, with time, i believe a whole new limb can be made to grow from an amputated one
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by mkmyers45(m): 9:43am On Oct 01, 2012
masterpiecer: Bravo! i guess there's still alot to come from stem cell exploration, with time, i believe a whole new limb can be made to grow from an amputated one
That has already been done using pixie dust...
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 9:51am On Oct 01, 2012
This is Genetical Science at its best and can also get better. Its a good thing successes ar being recorded day after day. The human brain is UNLIMITED!
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by masterpiecer(m): 12:29pm On Oct 01, 2012
mkmyers45: That has already been done using pixie dust...

really? what is it like?
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by dominique(f): 1:41pm On Oct 01, 2012
masterpiecer:

really? what is it like?

i think he's kidding.
Re: Doctors Grow New Ear On Woman’s Arm by mkmyers45(m): 6:26pm On Oct 01, 2012
masterpiecer:

really? what is it like?
Im not joking [url]dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1270990/Pixie-Dust-pig-bladders-regrows-limbs-wounded-soldiers.html[/url]

(1) (Reply)

Benefits Of Drinking Water Regularly... / Ard Strike: Nigerian ‘doctors’ And Her Craze For Self Importance By Fejiro Olive / 23 Amazing Health Benefits Of Onions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.