Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,229 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze (18710 Views)

Fayose Hangs Out With Market Women In Ekiti (Photos) / Market Women In Rivers State Protest Nullification Of Wike's Election (photos) / Rochas Moves To Demolish HOT FM Radio,Re-allocates Dr.Njemanze's Properties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ijebabe: 11:50am On Oct 02, 2012
Nollywood actress Dorothy Njamanze was assaulted by the Nigerian Army Force by 9pm a couple of days ago, Nollywood Gossip said.

The beautiful activist, who is currently receiving treatment at an Abuja hospital, tells Delia Innoma (Live Online With Delia) how disappointed she is to be a victim of what she has been fighting against.

This is what she had to say:

“On my way from the ambassador for peace beauty pageant held at the Sheraton Hotels, I decided to check on my brother at the end of my street. I parked my car in front of Dreams Garden at the end of my street behind one bus, and was going in to see Ugo (my brother) when a man dressed in a man-o-war uniform appeared from nowhere and shoved me on my breasts, commanding that I get into the bus I parked behind.

“I reprimanded him for touching my breasts but instead of apologizing, he continued to pushing me by my breasts towards the bus, so when I couldn’t bear it anymore I pushed him too and started running away.

“Three men wearing man-o-war uniform and a head warmer, no name tags, and two plain clothes policemen ran after me. When they caught me they descended on me, beating me mercilessly despite the fact that I was screaming who I was.

“A girl who was waiting for me in my car, after waiting for a while and didn’t see me, came down to go and look for me at my brother’s place. She was horrified to see all those uniformed men assaulting me and trying to force me into the bus.

“She started pleading with them, telling them who I am and even showing them my car keys, but all to no avail. She started screaming when she thought they were going to kill me and that attracted people’s attention.

“When crowd gathered and people started recognizing me, there started coming to my rescue and there was almost a mob attack. A soldier out of fear cocked his gun and said he’ll shoot me if I don’t enter the bus.

“What hurts most is that I’ve been fighting against violence against women, and now I’m a first victim of it. I have over 70 cases of abused women on Abuja streets.

“The team that assaulted me tried to escape. I chased them down to area 10. Ugo found me there and another soldier cocked a gun, pointed at his tummy and threatened to shoot. A female soldier cocked her gun and pointed at Justina, the girl in my car, who was supposed to be on my show (ability talk, earlier in the day on love 104.5fm). Apparently the female soldier wanted to shoot Justina for having piercings on her face, because she said Justina was not a true Nigerian by that.

“Women have been randomly abducted and forced to confess to prostitutions by AEPB in conjunction with the questionable NGO, Society Against Prostitution and Child Labour.

“I have over 70 cases against them and now I’m a victim. Women are not safe in Abuja.

“The Military should be put to better use. It’s high time they pay for the damages they have been causing. I am so traumatized. Having cocked guns pointed at us is a mental image that tortures me.

“Government needs to hear us out, get facts and figures and stop the abuse against women. I wish the national assembly will permit me make a full presentation on the degree of this violence against women in Abuja and act immediately on it.

“I have rape victims, bullet injury victims, people beaten out of their jeeps at gunpoint whose names were published as prostitutes in national dailies, abused youth coppers… all sorts of traumatized victims. These people need rehabilitation at difference levels urgently.”

Well, we hope the government is reading because the worst kinds of violence are those against women and children.

http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/19071/8/nollywood-actress-dorothy-njamanze-beaten-to-stupo.html

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ijebabe: 1:00pm On Oct 02, 2012
You are one to talk, anuofia angry

By the way, was that you I was chatting with on the website? grin
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Afam4eva(m): 1:13pm On Oct 02, 2012
Tom Njemanze i know, Ann Njemanze i know, who are you Dorothy Njemanze?

Btw, sorry that you had to go through this ordeal.

2 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 02, 2012
[size=26pt]This hogwash lacks an iota of intelligence! Rubbish!![/size]
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Adanyebe(m): 1:32pm On Oct 02, 2012
If ABUJA Is Not Safe,... then you find ur way to BOKO HARAM H/Quarters... BornO State::::::::: RUBIIISHHH:::::
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Abujafood: 1:35pm On Oct 02, 2012
Let's watch what we say here, an assault on anyone especially of a sexual nature is a serious offence. This matter should be investigated and if anyone is found to be culpable that someone must be made to face the music.

3 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by bid4rich(m): 1:36pm On Oct 02, 2012
Wetin she do na?
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Orikinla(m): 1:41pm On Oct 02, 2012
NIGERIA IS AN UNCIVILIZED NATION RULED BY POLITICAL GANGSTERS AND THEIR MILITARY COLLABORATORS.

THEY WOULD HAVE INTIMIDATED HER INTO THEIR BUS AND GANG RAPE HER AND DUMP HER BODY SOMEWHERE AND LABEL HER VICTIM OF BOKO HARAM OR ARMED ROBBERY.

THERE IS REALLY NO GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA.

DOGS. DOGS. DOGS EVERYWHERE.

7 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by double3(m): 1:42pm On Oct 02, 2012
This story is incomplete..she must have done something that attracted the attention of the uniform men...just my humble idea

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ArQueBusieR(m): 1:44pm On Oct 02, 2012
Nigerian soldiers are not trained to be people-friendly. Tread carefully.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 02, 2012
ArQueBusieR: Nigerian soldiers are not trained to be people-friendly. Tread carefully.

But they can fvck half of Liberian women during peace-keeping missions?
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by eledalo: 1:56pm On Oct 02, 2012
Move to borno. U go know wetin dem call safe. But jokes aside. . .
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by fellory: 1:58pm On Oct 02, 2012
double3: This story is incomplete..she must have done something that attracted the attention of the uniform men...just my humble idea

You never live for abuja before that is why u say such.these people assault females anyhow.Funny enuf they know where these ladies of easy virtue are but they go around harrassing innocent people
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by shineeye1: 1:59pm On Oct 02, 2012
double3: This story is incomplete..she must have done something that attracted the attention of the uniform men...just my humble idea

Are you a Nigerian at all? For no reason other than primordial beastiality, uniform personnel will descend on you. It is this same demonic instinct that also propels those in all the corridors of power in Nigeria. Nigeria is terminally sick!

2 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by surveyProf(m): 2:01pm On Oct 02, 2012
From the write up above, I think there is law in Abuja to eradicate commercial sex workers by the fct administration, I subspect the military guys subspect the lady to be one of the commercial sex works, perhaps that is the reason while she was made to enter the bus and go with dem for interogation, but be that as it may be, she would have been asked to identify her self, then if she could not do so, she will then be made to face the music, I know the fct administration under Senator Bala Mohammed have been trying to eradicate commercial sex worker frm Abuja, but dis is not how to go about it, that is if this write up is anything to go about.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by luvinhubby(m): 2:07pm On Oct 02, 2012
I find this story hard & difficult to believe, soldiers don't patrol streets arresting people, she mentioned man-o-war, police and soldiers, which kain combination be dat?
Which group, division, squad or station arrested you. What reason did they give?
The story is flawed, nevertheless should be investigated.

2 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by shineeye1: 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2012
surveyProf: From the write up above, I think there is law in Abuja to eradicate commercial sex workers by the fct administration, I subspect the military guys subspect the lady to be one of the commercial sex works, perhaps that is the reason while she was made to enter the bus and go with dem for interogation, but be that as it may be, she would have been asked to identify her self, then if she could not do so, she will then be made to face the music, I know the fct administration under Senator Bala Mohammed have been trying to eradicate commercial sex worker frm Abuja, but dis is not how to go about it, that is if this write up is anything to go about.

Surveyprofessor are you willing to be a guinea pig in an experimentation involving a Nigerian man holding power in his hands? You will surely survey that it is not a matter of rational grammar.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Ivynwa(f): 2:11pm On Oct 02, 2012
She's doing a great job I must say. It's about time women got emancipated, huh!
Yeah, i said it.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by sylve11: 2:11pm On Oct 02, 2012
It happens everywhere in Nigeria. cool
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by stagger: 2:12pm On Oct 02, 2012
What time of the day was that, and where did that incident occur? How was she dressed? Whores have a mode of dressing, and decent girls also dress decently so there is no way one can be confused with the other. I am very sure she has left out some important details. This is close to 6 years I have lived in FCT and I hardly hear of such incidents even when I was a night crawler.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 02, 2012
Why should we turn our country to a war-torn region like Congo, where females are assaulted and raped?

It sounds uncivilised to me. Why would you just demand a woman enter your vehicle without any reason?

I'm sure there are so many women out there that have suffered such inhumane treatment, but we never heard of their cases because they weren't famous enough to raise their voices.

We don't have to wait until our sisters, mothers, Aunties, friends are victims of these idiots.. Something has to be done.

Why would you drag someone into your car without any explanation? Is that not kidnapping?

Why do we have to put up with Primitive Policing?

Okay, if they thought she was a prostitute, does that means she has to be dragged into the vehicle without explanation?

Why should arresting prostitutes be our top-most priority when any citizen can be a victim of bomb blast at any given time?

These men performing arrest, why can't their manpower be utilised in fighting terrorism, robberies, kidnappings, etc?

Why can't they be delegated to go help flood victims in various flood-ravaged states, instead of harassing women?

5 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by GARRIx7(m): 2:15pm On Oct 02, 2012
Once again our uniformed men show their beastly character!!!

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ijebabe: 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2012
She mentioned she was returning from some beauty pageant event very late at night and must have been dressed, hmmm, sexy. Be that as it may, that did not give the soldier the right to push her on her breasts to show how tough he is. Even if she was a prostitute, there was simply no need for that.

What they did was simply insulting and degrading and I feel sorry for the women that end up with such men!
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by jajad: 2:20pm On Oct 02, 2012
Would this be OK if it was a man pushed on his bosom? smiley
Women are just as safe as men in Abuja... probably safer.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Afam4eva(m): 2:24pm On Oct 02, 2012
ijebabe: She mentioned she was returning from some beauty pageant event very late at night and must have been dressed, hmmm, sexy. Be that as it may, that did not give the soldier the right to push her on her breasts to show how tough he is. Even if she was a prostitute, there was simply no need for that.

What they did was simply insulting and degrading and I feel sorry for the women that end up with such men!
This days it's really difficult to tell who's a prostitute and who's not because ladies now dress too sexxy. But that's not enough reason to be harrassed by the men in uniform. Even if she was a prostitute.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by karpentar: 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2012
I am recognizing and seeing this babe for the first time. I wonder why she thinks she's so popular that a mere mention of her name would set her free. Meanwhile, her attention seeking story is half truth. There wouldn’t be an attempt to apprehend her without any wrong doing whatsoever. She went to Abuja to pro-stitute in the name of fighting for oppressed women. If she’s serious, let her go to the rural areas and see real oppressed women ….widows are forced to marry their late husband’s brothers, women toil in the farms all day and their husbands lazy around drinking tombo in readiness for night s-ex,..etc

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Tobiustobius: 2:30pm On Oct 02, 2012
jajad: Would this be OK if it was a man pushed on his bosom? smiley

Posts such as this require a dislike button.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by Orikinla(m): 2:34pm On Oct 02, 2012
karpentar: I am recognizing and seeing this babe for the first time. I wonder why she thinks she's so popular that a mere mention of her name would set her free. Meanwhile, her attention seeking story is half truth. There wouldn’t be an attempt to apprehend her without any wrong doing whatsoever. She went to Abuja to pro-stitute in the name of fighting for oppressed women. If she’s serious, let her go to the rural areas and see real oppressed women ….widows are forced to marry their late husband’s brothers, women toil in the farms all day and their husbands lazy around drinking tombo in readiness for night s-ex,..etc

YOU'RE JUST IGNORANT OF HOW NIGERIA IS PRESENTLY.

DOG EAT DOG IN THIS UNCIVILIZED COUNTRY.
Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by ijebabe: 2:34pm On Oct 02, 2012
She has released another statement explaining the whole story in detail. Sorry its long guys.

My name is Dorothy Njemanze and this is my 29th September experience.

Having successfully rounded up with my Ability talk show on Love 104.5FM earlier that morning, I did what I could for the group creating awareness on World Heart Day. I ate at about 8.00pm. Ojiugo who went to buy the food told us about how when she had gone to buy the food, she was chased by people from a bus without a number plate and she ran into Drumstix, wuse2. She was terrified. We calmed her. I ate, dressed up and was made up by Justina for the Ambassador for peace beauty pageant in Sheraton where I was to feature with Abuja artistes in a special peace presentation.

I drove out with Justina. I was to drop her before going to the venue. I had to see my brother at Dreams Garden down the street. I parked behind a bus, got down alone to see my brother briefly. As I was passing the bus,a man wearing a head warmer approached me, stopped me by applying pressure to my breasts with his hands and ordered me to enter the bus. Offended at his contact with my breast, I raised my voice at him to attract attention and avoid being kidnapped. He wore no name tag on him. He pushed me from my chest into the bus, I pushed my way out and shoved him then three armed soldiers dressed in camouflage and helmets joined him to beat me. 2 people on mufti joined too. One of the soldiers cocked his gun and ordered me to go into the bus. I saw Justina rush out of the car and start screaming my identity. I was doing same. I told them I parked behind them, showed them my car keys but they wouldn’t listen. What we were saying made passers by look closely and when they identified me, the gathered crowd was speaking in my favour and questioning their actions. They said I looked like and was dressed like a prostitute. I was crying and amidst the pandemonium, I tried calling my brother but the call didn’t go through. I called one of the men living in my house and told him I was being beaten down the street.

I looked into the bus, there were two women in it. As I was making calls, my assailants began entering the bus. I noticed this and drove past them and blocked them with my car. At this point I got through to my brother and alerted him that I was just assaulted. I noticed the bus was reversing to escape so I made a U-turn and pursued them. I kept speaking with my brother and the other man to let them know where we were. They sped to Area 10 sports complex. I stopped my car, wound up my glasses, locked all doors and waited for my family to arrive. I put calls across to several people including the FCT police commissioner.

They heard the assailants banging on the car glasses, roof,doors, hood and trunk. There were more buses, soldiers and people wearing man o’war uniforms. My brother arrived so I got down from my car and pointed out those who beat me to him. He was furious and began shouting “what have they done to deserve this? Can’t people be free around their homes again…?” He told me to drive into the premises. I couldn’t just then because my body was trembling but I eventually did. By then, three people I live with had arrived. The GM of a radio station in Abuja joined shortly after. Some other people came to the scene because they heard from different places. I placed several distress calls. I was totally traumatized.

A lady eventually came to the scene. She asked why I didn’t identify myself to the assailants. I told her I did but they wouldn’t hear. She asked why I didn’t show any identity card and I explained there was no room for that. She asked to see the identity card I had on me. I went to my bag in the car, brought out my card holder with my Actors Guild of Nigeria identity card, Dorothy Njemanze Foundation identity card (that identified me as a press person/activist), Exclusive Stores patronage card, driving licence, National identity card, ATM cards, complimentary cards… All in a card holder. The assailants said identity cards are useless to them. Before this lady came, a soldier meant to question my brother’s audacity to turn up in area 10 in my defence and cocked a gun pointing at his tummy and said,”I go shoot you for belle now. Who you think say you be?” I got furious, rained curses on them all wishing all female members of their families will die so that they respect womanhood. I shouted that it was my brother they were talking to and told them they will have to shoot two members of the Njemanze family. Someone on plain clothes asked if I was related to the Chief Judge of Imo. I said I was an Njemanze and promised them a difference in encounter for daring to assault royalty.

I heard the driver of the bus with my assailants say they assaulted me because I looked like a prostitute. He said I was not dressed like a Nigerian. I was more enraged. I asked if he could see any cleavage at all or my buttocks..I asked how prostitutes dress. I asked everyone present to analyse my dressing especially as I was going for an event. After I showed the lady my identity cards, she made a call and gave me the phone to talk with the person on the other side of the line. The man requested to speak with any soldier. I gave a female soldier on low cut the phone but she insisted her squadron leader was the better person to receive the call. I gave him the phone, he said I should put it on speaker which I did and gave it to a lady there to hold. The man identified himself and ordered the squadron leader to arrest everyone on the team that assaulted me and move to the nearest police station with me. He said he had heard but to our surprise, I was hearing them say, “them think say na only them sabi person for Nigeria? Make we call madam. We too, we sabi senator wey no be small person for senate.”

A female soldier did not find Justina’s piercings on her face funny. She told her she looked like a prostitute. Justina tried defending herself and the woman cocked her gun and told her to look well at her, that she would waste her if she tried talking again. Somewhere along the line, she was flogged with ‘koboko’.

After the assailants and their counterparts made their call, they hurriedly got into their buses and sped away. I had to make a report of the case with the police. As we left the Area10 sports complex,I had to park in front of International Conference Center to wait for a family friend who heard of the incident. Just as he got to me, two other cars pulled up ahead of us the men came to us. Apparently, they saw me earlier on in the sports complex and thought we were going after the people that escaped in the buses. One had his sister abducted. The other man had his wife who went out to buy suya for the family abducted. They said they were told to come to Arco estate lugbe to bail their family members. I told them I had to go to the police first but gave my numbers to them and encouraged them to keep in touch for additional assistance.

I headed straight to Wuse police station which covers the place the crimes against me began. The FCT police commissioner monitored what went on personally. I wrote my statement alongside all witnesses present. If this could happen to me, I wonder what has been happening to people who do not own cars or won’t speak up owing to timidity.

Since last year, I have handled over 70 cases of assault by this said task force that works in collaboration with Abuja Environmental Development Board (AEPB). I have exposed the fact that they randomly abduct women in Abuja and force them to confess to prostitution. I have had victims who are married women, stray bullet injury survivors, raped after abduction by captors, beaten out of private vehicles at gun point only to later discover their names were published in the national dailies and who have suffered various degrees of traumatic fits including youth Corpers with ID cards on them amongst others.

This war against women resident in Abuja is getting worse by the day. From the police station, I had to go to the hospital with Justina where we got injections and other medication. Everyone born of a woman should be in the fight against this random violation of women in Abuja without any attempts at paying for damages to victims. I call on all that respect human rights to come to our aid and ensure every victim gets appropriate redress. I also wonder why there would be armed soldiers without name tags on their uniforms brutally abducting innocent civilians. If considering the calibre of people around me, we still had guns cocked at us, I wonder the fate of the abducted people when they are taken to sabon lugbe near Kuje. We are in the process of tracing all those involved in that operation that has left me in excruciating body and emotional pains with the help of the police.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by otunbanuel: 2:36pm On Oct 02, 2012
Most of the people that contributed negatively here are sick! You dont need to contribute to every topic you see,I used to live in Abuja and YES so many innocent citizens have been abused and battered by those stupid guys. Have you been made to confess to a crime you never committed before? It is pity,most of you guys just write without thinking very well. We should all join hands together and fight against Oppression.

Dont forget,it could be your sister or your mother tomorrow.

4 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Are Not Safe – Dorothy Njemanze by jajad: 2:43pm On Oct 02, 2012
otunbanuel: Most of the people that contributed negatively here are sick! You dont need to contribute to every topic you see,I used to live in Abuja and YES so many innocent citizens have been abused and battered by those stupid guys. Have you been made to confess to a crime you never committed before? It is pity,most of you guys just write without thinking very well. We should all join hands together and fight against Oppression.

Dont forget,it could be your sister or your mother tomorrow.

Or your brother or your father.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thugs Attack Ado Shaba, El-Rufai's Supporter In Kaduna (Graphic Pics) / Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub / The World Is Watching Presidential Election Petition Tribunal - PDP Tells APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.