Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,111 members, 7,807,354 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life (1722 Views)

The Duration Of Courtship And Purpose Of Courtship In Christian Marriage. / Mazaje, State The Purpose Of Your Life! / The Purpose of Life (why were we created?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by mkmyers45(m): 12:04pm On Oct 02, 2012
If you all didnt know..some scientists see ageing as a disease that is curable and the field of regenerative medicine is dedicated to studies realting to this...

Regenerative medicine is the "process of replacing or regenerating human cells, tissues or organs to restore or establish normal function".[1] This field holds the promise of regenerating damaged tissues and organs in the body by replacing damaged tissue and/or by stimulating the body's own repair mechanisms to heal previously irreparable tissues or organs. Regenerative medicine also empowers scientists to grow tissues and organs in the laboratory and safely implant them when the body cannot heal itself.

Re-Grown Organ:

Johns Hopkins doctors are once again making history–this time by using a woman’s own tissue to build her a new ear.

Derek Valcourt explains with doctors’ help, her own body has replaced what an aggressive form of cancer took away.

You don’t have to tell Sherrie Walters her story sounds like science fiction.

“No, I feel like an experiment,” Walters said.

The discovery of a rapidly-spreading basal cell cancer in her ear in 2008 required the removal of part of her ear, part of her skull and her left ear canal. But now, in a groundbreaking and complicated set of surgeries, Johns Hopkins doctors have attached a new ear made from Walters’ own tissue.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/09/26/hopkins-doctors-give-woman-a-new-ear/

PIXIE DUST:

Powder nick-named "Pixie Dust" is being used to save the limbs of war heroes who have been wounded in Afghanistan.

Surgeons have already used the dust to save several soldiers so badly mutilated that they were at risk of amputation.

Made from pig bladders it has the ability to help the human body grow new tissue to replace large areas of a leg or arm destroyed by blast damage.

Many British and American soldiers have lost limbs to roadside bombs in the bitter battle for control of Afghanistan.

Now there is hope that limbs that would have been previously amputated can be saved.

Pig bladders contain a substance called extra cellular matrix, which is made up largely of collagen.

Scientists have already used powdered pig bladders help grow replacement human bladders.

But researchers working for the American military realised the substance might also help hundreds of wounded soldiers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1270990/Pixie-Dust-pig-bladders-regrows-limbs-wounded-soldiers.html

Longetivity:

The general average lifespan of a normal mouse is 1.5 to 2 years. Whenever a record is broken, the researcher receives an amount based on the current size of the prize and the percentage by which they exceed the previously held record.

The longevity prize allows any type of intervention, including breeding and genetic engineering; only a single mouse has to be presented. As of 2009[update], the record holder is a mouse whose growth hormone receptor had been genetically knocked out; it lived for 1819 days (almost 5 years).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah_Foundation

Now Aubrey David Nicholas Jasper de Grey has proposed in his book 'Ending Aging ' that within 50-100 years humans will conquer and control ageing and live for up to a thousand years.

Now severally on this fourm i have heard theists say 'if science can stop death i will stop beleieveing in God', Indeed if this research is perfected sometime in the future, it will land a big blow on organized religion

Will life retain any form of purposfulness with immortality? Dosen't death give life a spark? Do humans really want to live foreever?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Callotti: 1:18pm On Oct 02, 2012
Life if finite, immortality is infinite.
Death does not give life ANY form of spark.
I don't want to live forever.
AFTER LIFE=AFTER DEATH.
Life is the spark and death is an extinguisher. kiss
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by plaetton: 2:56pm On Oct 02, 2012
While everyone wishes to live longer and healthier,it would create much bigger problems for humanity.
Under our present economic and social order, given our appetite for consumption of resources, mother earth and her resources can only accommodate a limited number of human lives at any given time.
If everyone lives to be 150yrs or 200yrs, how would society be able to control birth rates? The rich and powerful and psychotic would be able to perpetuate their economic and political hegemonies for much longer periods.
Just imagine tyrants living up to 200yrs.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 3:15pm On Oct 02, 2012
mkmyers45: If you all didnt know..some scientists see ageing as a disease that is curable and the field of regenerative medicine is dedicated to studies realting to this...

Re-Grown Organ:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/09/26/hopkins-doctors-give-woman-a-new-ear/

PIXIE DUST:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1270990/Pixie-Dust-pig-bladders-regrows-limbs-wounded-soldiers.html

Longetivity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah_Foundation

Now Aubrey David Nicholas Jasper de Grey has proposed in his book 'Ending Aging ' that within 50-100 years humans will conquer and control ageing and live for up to a thousand years.

Now severally on this fourm i have heard theists say 'if science can stop death i will stop beleieveing in God', Indeed if this research is perfected sometime in the future, it will land a big blow on organized religion

Will life retain any form of purposfulness with immortality? Dosen't death give life a spark? Do humans really want to live foreever?
ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS MATE.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by FMK(m): 5:01pm On Oct 02, 2012
biblically we die because we sin another context, organic material has a limit time to live is not created to live forever that is why plants, grass, animals and other organic material die human is looking for manner to live longer because of the benefits that life is giving him but no way you will surely die
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by mkmyers45(m): 11:01pm On Oct 02, 2012
plaetton: While everyone wishes to live longer and healthier,it would create much bigger problems for humanity.
Under our present economic and social order, given our appetite for consumption of resources, mother earth and her resources can only accommodate a limited number of human lives at any given time.
If everyone lives to be 150yrs or 200yrs, how would society be able to control birth rates? The rich and powerful and psychotic would be able to perpetuate their economic and political hegemonies for much longer periods.
Just imagine tyrants living up to 200yrs.
True but does it really stop 'The Purpose of life'?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by mkmyers45(m): 11:05pm On Oct 02, 2012
obadiah777: ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS MATE.
Why so chief? grin
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 11:48pm On Oct 02, 2012
Observe how the religious want to make sure you die, just because.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 1:07am On Oct 03, 2012
mkmyers45: Why so chief? grin
white man trying to play God. 2 thessalonians 2 vs 4 and isaiah 14 chapter 14 . it aint happening.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by mkmyers45(m): 1:36am On Oct 03, 2012
obadiah777: white man trying to play God. 2 thessalonians 2 vs 4 and isaiah 14 chapter 14 . it aint happening.
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. What do you mean chief? Dosent it mean that man is god?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 03, 2012
mkmyers45: Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. What do you mean chief? Dosent it mean that man is god?
nah Emperor Mkmyers45, that means man is trying to Play God. study those 2 verses i gave you, there is a people on earth that those 2 verses are referring to. trying to recreate or regenerate man is one of those traits. you are not going to be able to play God. God gave us a maximum of 120 years to live ( Genesis 6 vs 3 ). the prophesy of the maximum years the lord gave us is already being fulfilled. lets look at the list of the oldest people alive

Rank Name- Sex- Birth date- Death date- Age- Place of death or residence
1 Jeanne Calment F 21 February 1875 4 August 1997 122 years, 164 days France
2 Sarah Knauss F 24 September 1880 30 December 1999 119 years, 97 days United States
3 Lucy Hannah F 16 July 1875 21 March 1993 117 years, 248 days United States
4 Marie-Louise Meilleur F 29 August 1880 16 April 1998 117 years, 230 days Canada
5 María Capovilla F 14 September 1889 27 August 2006 116 years, 347 days Ecuador
6 Tane Ikai F 18 January 1879 12 July 1995 116 years, 175 days Japan
7 Elizabeth Bolden F 15 August 1890 11 December 2006 116 years, 118 days United States
8 Besse Cooper F 26 August 1896 Living 116 years, 37 days United States
9 Maggie Barnes F 6 March 1882 19 January 1998 115 years, 319 days United States
10 Christian Mortensen M 16 August 1882 25 April 1998 115 years, 252 days United States[a]
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by mkmyers45(m): 9:58am On Oct 03, 2012
^^^^^ I Know but we are close to breaking the yoke arent we?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 03, 2012
mkmyers45: ^^^^^ I Know but we are close to breaking the yoke arent we?
not in a billion years wink if horses could fly

1 Like

Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 03, 2012
obadiah777: not in a billion years wink if horses could fly

grin grin grin Maybe in a 2 billion yrs, that's if their so called evolution hoax is true grin grin
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by UjSizzle(f): 10:23am On Oct 03, 2012
There needs to be a balance in nature- birth n Death. If people had to live for up to a thousand years,then we'd also have to stop giving birth or else we'd over populate the earth n use up our food supply. I don't think it's gonna be possible to slow down the aging process anyway whether by gene mutation or whatever means they've cooked up.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 10:58am On Oct 03, 2012
Ignoring crazies who want you dead just because, there's the issue of real estate in the brain. Older people have shorter days because they have a lot more information stored up to contend with. They start thinking about something, have experience, frameworks etc to compare with. Young people don't and rather have space to fill with knowledge, experiences etc. If you really think about it, live long enough and you're bound to grow crazy eventually.
Lack of fresh ideas, population problems (as already mentioned), and unknown benefits (or disadvantages) of random genetic mutations. Any other (non spiritual abeg) problems one can think of? It might not be a straight forward issue. From here on out though it seems we will determine how we evolve. And there's also the predicted singularity....

Inb4 hubris, arrogance, die because god said so, or heaven etc
also as it's 2012, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE SOON anyways
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 11:14am On Oct 03, 2012
seriallink:

grin grin grin Maybe in a 2 billion yrs, that's if their so called evolution hoax is true grin grin
LOL YEAH YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. IT IS A HOAX grin grin
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 03, 2012
wiegraf: Ignoring crazies who want you dead just because, there's the issue of real estate in the brain. Older people have shorter days because they have a lot more information stored up to contend with. They start thinking about something, have experience, frameworks etc to compare with. Young people don't and rather have space to fill with knowledge, experiences etc. If you really think about it, live long enough and you're bound to grow crazy eventually.
Lack of fresh ideas, population problems (as already mentioned), and unknown benefits (or disadvantages) of random genetic mutations. Any other (non spiritual abeg) problems one can think of? It might not be a straight forward issue. From here on out though it seems we will determine how we evolve. And there's also the predicted singularity....

Inb4 hubris, arrogance, die because god said so, or heaven etc
also as it's 2012, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE SOON anyways

THIS IS SCIENTIFIC HERESY. ITS BECAUSE THEY HAVE LESS ENZYMES.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 11:50am On Oct 03, 2012
REALLY? I'LL LOOK IT UP. IT COULD BE BOTH AS WELL. YOUR BRAIN ALSO CONSTANTLY MAKES CONNECTIONS, DO THE ENZYMES AFFECT THAT?

EDIT: THINKING ABOUT IT THOUGH WHY WOULD ENZYMES AFFECT PERCEPTION OF TIME?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 03, 2012
wiegraf: REALLY? I'LL LOOK IT UP. IT COULD BE BOTH AS WELL. YOUR BRAIN ALSO CONSTANTLY MAKES CONNECTIONS, DO THE ENZYMES AFFECT THAT?

EDIT: THINKING ABOUT IT THOUGH WHY WOULD ENZYMES AFFECT PERCEPTION OF TIME?
ENZYMES CONTROL EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN YOUR BODY. I MEAN ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. THE LESSER ENZYMES YOU HAVE THE OLDER YOU START TO LOOK AND FEEL.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 12:09pm On Oct 03, 2012
obadiah777: ENZYMES CONTROL EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN YOUR BODY. I MEAN ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. THE LESSER ENZYMES YOU HAVE THE OLDER YOU START TO LOOK AND FEEL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_perception

WIKI, BUT REFERENCED, SEE THE SECTION ON LONG TERM TO SEE WHAT I SPEAK OF, HEATHEN. ENZYMES ARE PROBABLY RELEVANT, BUT IN OTHER WAYS
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 03, 2012
wiegraf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_perception

WIKI, BUT REFERENCED, SEE THE SECTION ON LONG TERM TO SEE WHAT I SPEAK OF, HEATHEN. ENZYMES ARE PROBABLY RELEVANT, BUT IN OTHER WAYS
I AM NOT ARGUING ABOUT TIME PERCEPTION. YOU SAID 'OLDER PEOPLE HAVE SHORTER DAYS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A LOT MORE INFORMATION TO CONTEND WITH'. THIS IS THE ONLY POINT I WAS TRYING TO CORRECT. WHICH I SAID IT WAS SCIENTIFIC HERESY BECAUSE LACK OF ENZYMES IS WHY OLDER PEOPLE HAVE SHORTER DAYS. HOWEVER MAYBE I WAS JUMPING THE GUN. LET ME ASK YOU. WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY 'SHORTER DAYS' ?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 12:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
obadiah777: I AM NOT ARGUING ABOUT TIME PERCEPTION. YOU SAID 'OLDER PEOPLE HAVE SHORTER DAYS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A LOT MORE INFORMATION TO CONTEND WITH'. THIS IS THE ONLY POINT I WAS TRYING TO CORRECT. WHICH I SAID IT WAS SCIENTIFIC HERESY BECAUSE LACK OF ENZYMES IS WHY OLDER PEOPLE HAVE SHORTER DAYS. HOWEVER MAYBE I WAS JUMPING THE GUN. LET ME ASK YOU. WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY 'SHORTER DAYS' ?

YEAH, LIKE YOU IMPLY HERE, I MEANT TIME PERCEPION. MAYBE I WASN'T CLEAR, HEATHEN. ENZYMES I SUPPOSE SCIENCE MIGHT DEAL WITH FAIRLY EASILY. TIME PERCEPTION I WOULD ASSUME WOULD REQUIRE EXPANDING THE BRAINS CAPACITY/SPEED OR DELETING OLDER MEMORIES. PERHAPS NOT SO EASY TO SOLVE.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 03, 2012
wiegraf:

YEAH, LIKE YOU IMPLY HERE, I MEANT TIME PERCEPION. MAYBE I WASN'T CLEAR, HEATHEN. ENZYMES I SUPPOSE SCIENCE MIGHT DEAL WITH FAIRLY EASILY. TIME PERCEPTION I WOULD ASSUME WOULD REQUIRE EXPANDING THE BRAINS CAPACITY/SPEED OR DELETING OLDER MEMORIES. PERHAPS NOT SO EASY TO SOLVE.
HMMMM. LET ME ASK YOU, ARE YOU GERMAN ? IS WIEGRAF A GERMAN NAME ?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 12:56pm On Oct 03, 2012
obadiah777: HMMMM. LET ME ASK YOU, ARE YOU GERMAN ? IS WIEGRAF A GERMAN NAME ?

THE STORY BEHIND THE NAME IS PATHETIC. I WAS PLAYING A GAME, DIDN'T WANT TO USE USUAL HANDLE ON INSTINCT, USED GAME CHAR'S. INCIDENTALLY THE CHAR WAS ANTI-THEIST, AND I DID THIS BEFORE FULLY DISCARDING RELIGION OR KNOWING ABOUT NL/RELIGION. IT WAS MEANT TO BE...
IT'S PROBABLY A CORRUPTION OF WIGLAF, A NORDIC NAME (which might have originated from germany, etc...) /uselessinfo

YOU PICK 777 BECAUSE THAT'S THE KIND OF PLANE YOU WANT TO HIJACK?

2 Likes

Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2012
wiegraf:

THE STORY BEHIND THE NAME IS PATHETIC. I WAS PLAYING A GAME, DIDN'T WANT TO USE USUAL HANDLE ON INSTINCT, USED GAME CHAR'S. INCIDENTALLY THE CHAR WAS ANTI-THEIST, AND I DID THIS BEFORE FULLY DISCARDING RELIGION OR KNOWING ABOUT NL/RELIGION. IT WAS MEANT TO BE...
IT'S PROBABLY A CORRUPTION OF WIGLAF, A NORDIC NAME (which might have originated from germany, etc...) /uselessinfo

YOU PICK 777 BECAUSE THAT'S THE KIND OF PLANE YOU WANT TO HIJACK?

grin grin grin nah 7 is the number for completion. wink
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 4:18pm On Oct 03, 2012
^^^
Interesting, learn something new everyday.
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by mkmyers45(m): 5:33am On Oct 05, 2012
wiegraf:

You'll remain young..
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 9:19am On Oct 05, 2012
mkmyers45: You'll remain young..
what do you mean?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by mkmyers45(m): 10:07am On Oct 05, 2012
wiegraf: what do you mean?
Regenerative medicine is finally aimed at longetivity and youth so a 200yr old can look,work and think 30
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by wiegraf: 10:50am On Oct 05, 2012
mkmyers45: Regenerative medicine is finally aimed at longetivity and youth so a 200yr old can look,work and think 30

Does that mean you get to keep all your memories?
Re: Ageing, Regenerative Medicine And The Purpose Of Life by mkmyers45(m): 11:33am On Oct 05, 2012
wiegraf:

Does that mean you get to keep all your memories?

Yes, its all part of the regeneration....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Pastors Get Involved In Politics?? / Was The Centurion Man In The Bible A Gay / How Important Is The Holy Communion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.