Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (16985 Views)

Funeral Service: Casket HID Awolowo Was Laid In (Photos) / I Dropped My Presidential Ambition For Buhari — Saraki / I Sacrificed My Presidential Ambition For Buhari –Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by MAYOWAAK: 7:11am On Oct 03, 2012
Almost 30 years before Rwanda, before Darfur, more than 2 million people – mothers, children, babies, civilians – lost their lives as a result of the blatantly callous and unnecessary policies enacted by the leaders of the federal government of Nigeria.

As a writer I believe that it is fundamentally important, indeed essential to our humanity, to ask the hard questions, in order to better understand ourselves and our neighbours. Where there is justification for further investigation, justice should be served.

In the case of the Nigeria-Biafra war there is precious little relevant literature that helps answer these questions. Did the federal government of Nigeria engage in the genocide of its Igbo citizens – who set up the republic of Biafra in 1967 – through punitive policies, the most notorious being "starvation as a legitimate weapon of war"? Is the information blockade around the war a case of calculated historical suppression? Why has the war not been discussed, or taught to the young, more than 40 years after its end? Are we perpetually doomed to repeat the errors of the past because we are too stubborn to learn from them?

The Oxford English Dictionary defines genocide as "the deliberate and systematic extermination of an ethnic or national group ...". The UN general assembly defined it in 1946 as "... a denial of the right of existence of entire human groups". Throughout the conflict the Biafrans consistently charged that the Nigerians had a design to exterminate the Igbo people from the face of the earth. This calculation, the Biafrans insisted, was predicated on a holy jihad proclaimed by mainly Islamic extremists in the Nigerian army and supported by the policies of economic blockade that prevented shipments of humanitarian aid, food and supplies to the needy in Biafra.

Supporters of the federal government position maintain that a war was being waged and the premise of all wars is for one side to emerge as the victor. Overly ambitious actors may have "taken actions unbecoming of international conventions of human rights, but these things happen everywhere". This same group often cites findings, from organisations (sanctioned by the federal government) that sent observers during the crisis, that there "was no clear intent on behalf of the Nigerian troops to wipe out the Igbo people ... pointing out that over 30,000 Igbos still lived in Lagos, and half a million in the mid-west".

But if the diabolical disregard for human life seen during the war was not due to the northern military elite's jihadist or genocidal obsession, then why were there more small arms used on Biafran soil than during the entire second world war? Why were there 100,000 casualties on the much larger Nigerian side compared with more than 2 million – mainly children – Biafrans killed?

It is important to point out that most Nigerians were against the war and abhorred the senseless violence that ensued. The wartime cabinet of General Gowon, the military ruler, it should also be remembered, was full of intellectuals like Chief Obafemi Awolowo among others who came up with a boatload of infamous and regrettable policies. A statement credited to Awolowo and echoed by his cohorts is the most callous and unfortunate: all is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder.

It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people. There is, on the surface at least, nothing wrong with those aspirations. However, Awolowo saw the dominant Igbos at the time as the obstacles to that goal, and when the opportunity arose – the Nigeria-Biafra war – his ambition drove him into a frenzy to go to every length to achieve his dreams. In the Biafran case it meant hatching up a diabolical policy to reduce the numbers of his enemies significantly through starvation — eliminating over two million people, mainly members of future generations.

The federal government's actions soon after the war could be seen not as conciliatory but as outright hostile. After the conflict ended, the same hardliners in the Nigerian government cast Igbos in the role of treasonable felons and wreckers of the nation – and got the regime to adopt a banking policy that nullified any bank account operated during the war by the Biafrans. A flat sum of 20 Nigerian pounds was approved for each Igbo depositor, regardless of the amount of deposit. If there was ever a measure put in place to stunt, or even obliterate, the economy of a people, this was it.

After that outrageous charade, Nigeria's leaders sought to devastate the resilient and emerging eastern commercial sector even further by banning the import of secondhand clothing and stockfish – two trade items that they knew the burgeoning market towns of Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi needed to re-emerge. Their fear was that these communities, fully reconstituted, would then serve as the economic engines for the reconstruction of the entire Eastern Region.

There are many international observers who believe that Gowon's actions after the war were magnanimous and laudable. There are tons of treatises that talk about how the Igbo were wonderfully integrated into Nigeria. Well, I have news for them: The Igbos were not and continue not to be reintegrated into Nigeria, one of the main reasons for the country's continued backwardness.

Borrowing from the Marshall plan for Europe after the second world war, the federal government launched an elaborate scheme highlighted by three Rs – for reconstruction, rehabilitation, and reconciliation. The only difference is that, while the Americans actually carried out all three prongs of the strategy, Nigeria's federal government did not.

What has consistently escaped most Nigerians in this entire travesty is the fact that mediocrity destroys the very fabric of a country as surely as a war – ushering in all sorts of banality, ineptitude, corruption and debauchery. Nations enshrine mediocrity as their modus operandi, and create the fertile ground for the rise of tyrants and other base elements of the society, by silently assenting to the dismantling of systems of excellence because they do not immediately benefit one specific ethnic, racial, political, or special-interest group. That, in my humble opinion, is precisely where Nigeria finds itself today.

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/commentisfree/2012/oct/02/biafran-war-nigeria-mediocrity-persecution-igbo

11 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 03, 2012
Lets it all..let put the PAST in the casket... Lets think about the future...

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 9:40am On Oct 03, 2012
eelbay: Lets it all..let put the PAST in the casket... Lets think about the future...

If you fail to note where the rains started beating you, you will never know where or when it will stop. Nigerians has been in the rains and cold for too long. Teach the Biafran war as a course in the universities for the benefit of the younger generations.

7 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by chino24: 9:42am On Oct 03, 2012
@eelbay

"He who does not know where he is coming from, will not know where he is going"- Robert Nesta Marley a.k.a Bob Marley

You need the history to know how to forge ahead in the ship of Nigerian state.

Awoalowoa remains the worst thing that happened to Nigeria, because the north later found out before he awoalowoa had to commit suicide after being convicted for treason for the second time.

11 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by seanet01: 9:51am On Oct 03, 2012
[size=25pt]This is called Senility!!!
The useless and Fake Professor on wheels accusing the God of Ibos of Over ambition? What a stvpid statement by Arindin Chinua.
Ode buruku.
oloriburuku professor. [/size]

10 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by nku5: 10:01am On Oct 03, 2012
Nope this is called genius. The man called chinua achebe is a global literary collosus whose contributions to humanity will be celebrated for many generations to come

seanet01: [size=25pt]This is called Senility!!!
The useless and Fake Professor on wheels accusing the God of Ibos of Over ambition? What a stvpid statement by Arindin Chinua.
Ode buruku.

13 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 10:02am On Oct 03, 2012
seanet01: [size=25pt]This is called Senility!!!
Ode buruku.

No matter how hard you and your generations try, you will never reach a tenth of what prof. Achebe has become. The man is larger than life.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Rossikk(m): 10:07am On Oct 03, 2012
Achebe should let it rest abeg. Didn't this man have anything more current to write about? This Biafra stuff is just doing my head in. Hope he criticises Ojukwu and his friends for stupidly declaring independence/new nation without the resources, including military resources, to defend it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 10:15am On Oct 03, 2012
Rossikk: Achebe should let it rest abeg. Didn't this man have anything more current to write about? This Biafra stuff is just doing my head in. Hope he criticises Ojukwu and his friends for stupidly declaring independence/new nation without the resources, including military resources, to defend it.

I disagree, till things drastically get beetter, we should be talking about the problems, especially the root causes, the instigators, the scheemers and the back stabbers. The ones who declared a new state were helped and adviced, and later betrayed by some others. I think more shame should go to the less-than-men carpet crossing turn coats.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Rossikk(m): 10:22am On Oct 03, 2012
van bonattel:

I disagree, till things drastically get beetter, we should be talking about the problems, especially the root causes, the instigators, the scheemers and the back stabbers. The ones who declared a new state were helped and adviced, and later betrayed by some others. I think more shame should go to the less-than-men carpet crossing turn coats.

Achebe comes across as a tribalist to me. Why does he not criticise those who declared 'Biafra' and put the lives of millions of Igbos at risk in so doing? Other nations that declare secession/war, do they not prepare for it? How can you go into battle with cutlass and light weapons against a country like Nigeria? It makes no sense, and Achebe attacking Awo and co for taking advantage of the Igbo leadership's stupidity makes no sense. Can you believe the Igbo leaders were banking on FRANCE to assist them and send them weapons? France are like TWINS with the UK. The strongest of allies. Not surprisingly the French abandoned Biafra once the war started, no doubt after a few closed door meetings with the Brits in Paris or London in smoke-filled rooms over Brandy.

Where is Achebe's criticism of Igbo naivety in all this??

11 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 10:31am On Oct 03, 2012
Chinua and his tribesmen have collected thousands of attributes for why Biafra failed. The Awolowo policy of £20 is one of them . However they failed to see that Awolowos region is also the only one where they had full right of return......the North did not honor their rights of return and neither did South. Likewise, in spite of repeated admonition cautioning Ojukwu and sharing wisdom on how to proceed, everyone of which turned out to be true and whih if Ojukwu had adopted would no doubt have saved the millions, ibos have refused to acknowledge that their death and losses in the war and afterward were preventable.......if a man like Adaka Boro or Phillip Effiong had be the commander in chief of Biafra instead of the looser called Ojukwu.

6 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by redsun(m): 10:42am On Oct 03, 2012
Rossikk:

Achebe comes across as a tribalist to me. Why does he not criticise those who declared 'Biafra' and put the lives of millions of Igbos at risk in so doing? Other nations that declare secession/war, do they not prepare for it? How can you go into battle with cutlass and light weapons against a country like Nigeria? It makes no sense, and Achebe attacking Awo and co for taking advantage of the Igbo leadership's stupidity makes no sense. Can you believe the Igbo leaders were banking on FRANCE to assist them and send them weapons? France are like TWINS with the UK. The strongest of allies. Not surprisingly the French abandoned Biafra once the war started, no doubt after a few closed door meetings with the Brits in Paris or London in smoke-filled rooms over Brandy.

I dont think the igbos had choice about the war.They were killed emnass,brutalized and forced to defend themselves.Just like what is happening today,the northerners have started brutalizing the igbos and if the igbos had chose to be stu-pid like them and start retaliating,outright war would have long broken out again in nigeria.

The wall is how far a man can be pushed to.

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Rossikk(m): 10:53am On Oct 03, 2012
redsun:

I dont think the igbos had choice about the war. They were killed emnass,brutalized and forced to defend themselves.

That's a flawed reading of what occurred. The secession was declared months after the northern massacres had ended. It was declared ostensibly because the fed govt had failed to 'bring to justice' the perpetrators of the killings. It's not as if northern troops were marching down into Igbo territory to slaughter everyone before secession was hastily declared by the Igbos to ''defend themselves''. There was no threat at all to Igboland at the time the secession was declared.

In fact, Ojukwu's rejection of Gowon's 12 state solution was the real tipping point for the declaration. Some analysts say Ojukwu could not countenance his much reduced and limited powers issuing from the new state system announced by Gowon. (He would have been a state governor in much reduced territory, as opposed to his role at the time of military governor of the entire Eastern Region.)

So the day after Gowon announced the 12 state creation, Ojukwu declared secession.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by T9ksy(m): 11:04am On Oct 03, 2012
Rossikk:

Achebe comes across as a tribalist to me. Why does he not criticise those who declared 'Biafra' and put the lives of millions of Igbos at risk in so doing? Other nations that declare secession/war, do they not prepare for it? How can you go into battle with cutlass and light weapons against a country like Nigeria? It makes no sense, and Achebe attacking Awo and co for taking advantage of the Igbo leadership's stupidity makes no sense. Can you believe the Igbo leaders were banking on FRANCE to assist them and send them weapons? France are like TWINS with the UK. The strongest of allies. [b]Not surprisingly the French abandoned Biafra once the war started, [/b]no doubt after a few closed door meetings with the Brits in Paris or London in smoke-filled rooms over Brandy.

Point of correction my brother! France did not abandon Biafra as the agreement they had with ojukwu was that they will supply

him with enough weapons to defend his people from annihilation. This was the same story Ojukwu fed his people- that the northerners were hell-bent

on following them into the south east and wiping them all, out. So the frence agreed to supply biafra with guns to defend herself. However, ojukwu

changed the whole dynamics when he decided to invade the mid-west region and then head for Lagos. That wasn't the deal with the french hence the

latter kept up the same level of weapons to biafra but will not increase the level. Even when ojukwu exploited the plight of his starving people

to garner more aid from the french, they refused. The french did not want to be seen by their peers as aiding and abetting ojukwu's expansionism-

the deal was to protect his people and not landgrabbing.

As per the rest of your take on achebe (who i used to respect greatly but has now gone down the pan in my estimation), i agree with totally.

Achebe has just shown himself to be another ibo tribalist. Oh well, there is plenty where he came from.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by redsun(m): 11:11am On Oct 03, 2012
Rossikk:

That's a flawed reading of what occurred. The secession was declared months after the northern massacres had ended. It was declared ostensibly because the fed govt had failed to 'bring to justice' the perpetrators of the killings. It's not as if northern troops were marching down into Igbo territory to slaughter everyone before secession was hastily declared by the Igbos to ''defend themselves''. There was no threat at all to Igboland at the time the secession was declared.

In fact, Ojukwu's rejection of Gowon's 12 state solution was the real tipping point for the declaration. Some analysts say Ojukwu could not countenance his much reduced and limited powers issuing from the new state system announced by Gowon. (He would have been a state governor in much reduced territory, as opposed to his role at the time of military governor of the entire Eastern Region.)

So the day after Gowon announced the 12 state creation, Ojukwu declared secession.

So are you saying it was for Ojukwu's personnal and selfish interest that Biafra was declared,rather than the need to defend the igbos and their intergrity?

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Rossikk(m): 11:16am On Oct 03, 2012
^^ What does it look like? cool
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Elueme: 11:29am On Oct 03, 2012
Expecting this thread reaches. Page 8 and still counting... Mk I go back to work joor.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 03, 2012
Awolowo became a spirit and possessed ibos to kill leaders of other ethnic groups, he also possessed Ojukwu to fight to a war he couldn't win. Never mind Awolowo tried to dissuade Ojukwu but was dismissed as talking platitude.
Achebe must have gone senile.

6 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by remarkD(m): 11:30am On Oct 03, 2012
Is the bolded in your post really true? Had the polgrom stopped and there was peace? (as in no more killing of Igbos?) Id like an honest response cause that could change ones interpretation of things.
I remember reading (from a third party observer) that the "fall" of the east, which didnt happen during the counter-coup and polgroms, was what the counter-coupists wanted, and that they THREATENED TO MARCH TO eENUGU TO COMPLETE THEIR "REVENGE".

[/b]
Rossikk:

[b]That's a flawed reading of what occurred.
[b]The secession was declared months after the northern massacres had ended. [/b]It was declared ostensibly because the fed govt had failed to 'bring to justice' the perpetrators of the killings. It's not as if northern troops were marching down into Igbo territory to slaughter everyone before secession was hastily declared by the Igbos to ''defend themselves''. There was no threat at all to Igboland at the time the secession was declared.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by nku5: 11:33am On Oct 03, 2012
Let's not lose focus here bro. Achebe's article is not begrudging the
nigerian state for winning the war. The article is spitting on the despicable policies enacted in the prosecution of the war that was against the globally accepted standards of humanity, even in war. The article is particular about the starvation policy that killed millions, the demonic dismissal of what that policy stood for by people who claimed that there was no genocide in the first place and the opportunism that attended the end of hosilities?

I am happy you have admitted that awolowo took advantage of the war.

Rossikk:

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Rossikk(m): 11:35am On Oct 03, 2012
remark D:
Is the bolded in your post really true? Had the polgrom stopped and there was peace? (as in no more killing of Igbos?) Id like an honest response cause that could change ones interpretation of things.
I remember reading (from a third party observer) that the "fall" of the east, which didnt happen during the counter-coup and polgroms, was what the counter-coupists wanted, and that they THREATENED TO MARCH TO eENUGU TO COMPLETE THEIR "REVENGE".

The northern massacres occurred in Sept 1966. The secession was declared 8 months later, on 30th May 1967.
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Ufeolorun(m): 11:47am On Oct 03, 2012
I find it difficult at times to understand why people blatantly refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. Ojukwu(rip) declared war and should be held responsible for all that happened.
I hope am not blind,one striking thing here is;the professor didn't even mention Ojukwu's name,not even once in this article.Achebe need to let-go his constant penchant for sectional revisionism. Kilode!

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by redsun(m): 11:51am On Oct 03, 2012
Rossikk: ^^ What does it look like? cool

It doesnt come that simple.You can not settle an issue that involves life and death of the masses without true and defined justice,it will repeat itself.Not even rats can swallow things like that,knowing that they are in danger at any time of their territorial rivals.

I think you are seeing thinhs myopically and that is the same reason nigeria is not moving forward,because the fundamental issues are always left untackled

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by nku5: 11:55am On Oct 03, 2012
I tell you what with benefit of hindsight we know things could have been done a bit differently. That does not take away the reality of things that happened in the prosecution of the war. Whether we realise it or not, war has rules. If two men are fighting it doesn't give the other the right to look for the other ones chiildren to murder. Okay the war had ended, what about the post-war policies, banning of commodities that would have helped igbo people get back on their feet. As for revisionism you haven't pointed out ONE lie in the article of which only an excerpt was posted. Anybody with the full article should please post so we can read it in full

Ufeolorun: I find it difficult at times to understand why people blatantly refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. Ojukwu(rip) declared war and should be held responsible for all that happened.
I hope am not blind but one striking thing here is;the professor didn't even mention Ojukwu,s name once in this article.Achebe need to let-go his constant penchant for sectional revisionism. Kilode!
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Rossikk(m): 11:59am On Oct 03, 2012
nku5: Let's not lose focus here bro. Achebe's article is not begrudging the
nigerian state for winning the war. The article is spitting on the despicable policies enacted in the prosecution of the war that was against the globally accepted standards of humanity, even in war. The article is particular about the starvation policy that killed millions, the demonic dismissal of what that policy stood for by people who claimed that there was no genocide in the first place and the opportunism that attended the end of hosilities?

But what about the declaration of secession that led to the war? That wasn't done democratically. We seem to forget that none of these people acted in real consultation with the masses, or under any sort of political legitimacy. Ojukwu, Gowon, etc were military dictators. Thugs - aged 31 and 32 at the start of the war. Two small boys. What gave any of them the right to take the country to war? We often discuss them like they were Churchill and De Gaulle. They were thugs running around with more firepower than common sense. They weren't even supposed to be anywhere near the corridors of power. Who elected them? The barrel of the gun?

I'm surprised Achebe is defending any of them and their actions, or even taking sides.

13 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by nku5: 12:34pm On Oct 03, 2012
Like I said in an earlier post, with benefit of hindsight we can all sit with our ipads and laptops and analyse what should have been done differently. We know that better decisions could have been made leading up to the war. However that is NOT the focus of the article. The article is particular about the despicable policies of starvation that had not been seen since the middle ages and the rodent-like opportunism that was the hallmmark of post-war policies that sought to disenfranchise and keep the igbo ppl on the ground. Especially as it was alleged that ojukwu deceiived his ppl and that there was no genocide.

Rossikk:

But what about the declaration of secession that led to the war? That wasn't done democratically. We seem to forget that none of these people acted in real consultation with the masses, or under any sort of political legitimacy. Ojukwu, Gowon, etc were military dictators. Thugs - aged 31 and 32 at the start of the war. Two small boys. What gave any of them the right to take the country to war? We often discuss them like they were Churchill and De Gaulle. They were thugs running around with more firepower than common sense. They weren't even supposed to be anywhere near the corridors of power. Who elected them? The barrel of the gun?

I'm surprised Achebe is defending any of them and their actions, or even taking sides.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by RickyRoss1(m): 1:04pm On Oct 03, 2012
This will soon degenerate into online war between Igbo & Yoruba.

Am tired of talking about the past, esp[ecially the Biafran war. By the way, has my Igbo brothers learn lessons from the war? Are we not still making the same mistakes till this day?

Many Igbos prefer to site their investments outside of Igboland? You keep developing Lagos and other states and you later claim you own it? I have heard Igbos now own Lagos, and this drives Yorobahs crazy? How can we own Lagos? What about us turning Onitsha or Aba into world class cities? Or we prefer to develop other peoples lands and later claim marginalization?

I am not ready to talk openly about the past war. The future is here, we can correct the ills of the past now if we are interested. Those who are interested in online war should go ahead, me no get strength

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by 9jaIhail(m): 1:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
Rossikk:

I thought you are one of those i can wholeheartedly believe to be detribalized, it surprises me how you kept finding ways to justify your claim that ojukwu was responsible for the war. If you find yourself in the shoes of ojukwu then regarding what happened to easterners and you are their leader i bet you might do worster than ojukwu did. Meanwhile you refused to see Awolowo longer throat for power in this whole issue. If i may ask are you more knowledgeable than achebe or wole soyinka who stood by Biafrans? If you can look at the stance of these two great men Nigeria had ever produced in terms of literature you would come to agree with me that they see something injustice against the Biafra people hence you and i know that someone in the caliber of achebe and soyinka are not tribalist like you and me.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by vanbonattel: 1:08pm On Oct 03, 2012
Ufeolorun: I find it difficult at times to understand why people blatantly refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. Ojukwu(rip) declared war and should be held responsible for all that happened.
I hope am not blind,one striking thing here is;the professor didn't even mention Ojukwu's name,not even once in this article.Achebe need to let-go his constant penchant for sectional revisionism. Kilode!

Blaming ojukwu for the war is childish, and its upside down reasoning like this that will continue to hold us back in this cesspit called naijiriya. Until people own up and apologize for blood letting, the gods of justice will continue to turn its face from our unholy union. Let's dream on. A thousand years from now and maybe we shall still be blind to reason because some will love to support the mistakes of their grand fathers.
Achebe has since been vindicated, a people who fails to mend their past are bound to suffer their future.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by nezer76(m): 2:08pm On Oct 03, 2012
van bonattel:

No matter how hard you and your generations try, you will never reach a tenth of what prof. Achebe has become. The man is larger than life.
To hell with Achebe or wht ever he calls himself the write up obivously is intresting cos i see it as an avenue 4 d acade writer to refersh is dead senses with dead memories and comment frm fresh memories dat would surpasses him. At d same time ,wit due respect to his long standing interllectual status prof. Achebe made several blunders in d totality of his article. First and foremost Achebe 4got to note dat it was failure on his own part as an elder stateman in d region that d rebellious war was not included in curicullum taught in skol,4 i think he shld know d procedure as an academician. Secondly 4 Achebe to av decribe d late Awolowo of blessed memories as a person driven by ambition is just a mere acknowledgement of the saga bravery and political genius which is forever infinito. Perhase prof can give answers to this question, where was he in the days of the biafara war,? Wht was his contribution pre the war and his reaction during it , i mean when ojukwu and his boys shipped arms through cameroon particularly d bakassi region? Wht effort did the prof did to stop the war as a patriotic Nigerian then? And wht would have been the reaction of Achebe assuming Ojukwu succeeded in d creation of his dreamed republic. Secondly d story of a biafra war shldnt be taught in skol cos it nt a noble one , else we end up passin to our younger generation the ego of an insubmisive and arrogant soilder whose ambition for power drives thousands of Nigerian to the war field and inter to makes them an enemy of their state. Another blunder of the d prof is in d comparison of the then Gowon administation reprisal attack on d biafran as a genocide or islamic jihad no it isnt, Government then had no issue at hand to justify d declaration of war against his part until ojukwu declare one and annouced d state of d biafran. Several tactical steps were taken by Gowon to stop ojukwu frm taking control of d entire ibos, lik d creation of another region and later states in d said region to subdue d powers of ojukwu over them all so it mavels to hear 4m a prof.of many years standing that it is genocize or jihad cos there hav nt been "that intention 2 wipe d igbo race off" or have there been any religion issue or it under tone in it all. A pratical example is the emissary of d warl ord after his depature to d govt in Lag.d then FCt were they killed or held prisoner of war?. Moreso of all the interllectual mind that i knw in d world, Achebe was the first 2 refer 2 ojukwu biafran war as a genocide or jihad why now after how many decades?. Achebe must be caution else he truncate the peace and unity we av for long laboured for most especially now that d unity of d nation is very fragile and disarry or else be presumed to be preparing d seceding of the ibos now dat Bayesal have her flag, coat of arm and national atheam different 4m dat of our dear Nigeria. Finally I beleive wit d age of prof. Achebe he shld be bold enough to annouce the already founded Republic of Biafran not beating around d bush, if not their son in power will av find solution to our brothers problm in d north, the boko haram manic spearing lik cancer after all late yar dua of blessed memories did find solution to theres(Militiant).

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2012
this is the thing with ibo people. it doesn't matter how much education they get, they are still dangerously tribalistic to the core. I don't even see this kind of tribalistic rant coming from the likes of wole soyinka or any Yoruba leader. ibos are just too backward and primitive...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Lands US TV Deal / PDP To Lure IBB, Ekwueme, Atiku, Ciroma Ahead Of 2019 / "Release Our Stolen Funds" - Buhari To Switzerland President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.