Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,646 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Should Nigeria Split Up? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Split Up? (4556 Views)

‘I See Nigeria Split Into 5 Countries’ - Says Prophet Ignis Iribhogbe / Nigerians, Do U Want Nigeria Split Into Two Halfs Or United?? / Gadaffi Again, Calls For Nigeria’s Split : Along Ethnic Lines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Split Up? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 17, 2008
Lord Lugard said 'the amalgamation of the nothern and southern protectorate is only a project,if it doesnt work out the country should disengage from each other'.
MY FELLOW nigerians,should nigeria split as a nation?if you agree,how should it happen and on what line?religious,language,culture or geo political!comm'on!!!lets disect this question.time for brainstorming!
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Kashif(m): 2:30pm On Jan 17, 2008
You supply a comprehensive split equation. Ill-timed grin grin grin
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by vigasimple(m): 2:44pm On Jan 17, 2008
@poster

You should be concern about unity and to build strenght and spliting and breaking up is a diversonary effort, it will bring more division and hatred and will not solve an iota of problem.

in any event you should start by saying how you intend to split and divide it up , and we shall then all see.

Good luck.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 17, 2008
i personally think nigeria should remain as one but pro democracy activists and even those agitating for the nigerdelta people prnciple splitting up nigeria.activists have asked the federal govt to convene a sovereing national conference which basically ask two questions, 1.Do we still want to leave together as one?, and 2.if the answer is yes,then the next quesation is ON what purpose?thats when each stakeholders would start demanding for the impossible.you can see why the federal government has refused to allow SNC.sometimes its good to discuss difficullt situations iINTELECTUALLY.a person askind a question wants other peoples views.simple
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by tufe(m): 3:45pm On Jan 17, 2008
@ post
God forbid, we are working towards unity and you're asking if we sould break. Abeg OO, no talk am
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by smile4kenn(m): 10:30am On Jan 18, 2008
Nigeria should remain as one and should unify, but all states should be independent.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by dot2002(m): 11:09am On Jan 18, 2008
It will be wonderful to separate or at least become independent countries that can define there own identity albeit under one name like Nigeria or another name chosen to represent the new understanding in a manner similar to united kingdom that has 4 or more independent countries but represented as UK under the auspex of UN. Forced amalgamation had not worked and will not work no matter the smooth talking and sweeping of dirty laundries under the carpet.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by almondjoy(f): 11:28am On Jan 18, 2008
What difference would it make?  Well, let us experiment with Bakassi first and see how it goes.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by EmekaNaija(m): 6:16pm On Jan 18, 2008
Nigeria, as we know it only became one country in 1946 following the Richards constitution and just 6 years after independence we had a civil war. It all shows Nigeria is not a united country. The only hope we have to co-exist is if true federalism is in place just as we have in the United states. All states are independent of the federal government.

Splitting up isn't necessary if true federalism is in place. I even admonish the abolition of the 36 state structure and we should have only 6 states in Nigeria to coincide with the 6 different geo-political zones as suggested by Alex Ekwueme

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by debosky(m): 6:21pm On Jan 18, 2008
EmekaNaija:

Nigeria, as we know it only became one country in 1946 following the Richards constitution and just 6 years after independence we had a civil war. It all shows Nigeria is not a united country. The only hope we have to co-exist is if true federalism is in place just as we have in the United states. All states are independent of the federal government.

Splitting up isn't necessary if true federalism is in place. I even admonish the abolition of the 36 state structure and we should have only 6 states in Nigeria to coincide with the 6 different geo-political zones as suggested by Alex Ekwueme

The states were created to assuage cries of domination by larger groups, there will be great opposition to any plan to abolish states.

Federalism is needed, but will not work in the current situation where most of the states are dependent on the FG for funding. Let the states start generating revenues for themselves first, then they can stand on their own within the Nigerian Federation.

Currently, with the exception of Lagos/Ogun and the ND states and one or two others, the states are not viable entities. There is a lot of work needed there.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by EmekaNaija(m): 8:08pm On Jan 18, 2008
@Debosky

I totally disagree with you. On the contrary, the state structure in Nigeria had a singular aim of causing disunity. The aim was to limit the powers of the regions especially due to the Biafran and Eastern regions case of 1967-1970. 12 states were created not as a result of fear of domination by any major group but as a means to weaken the strenghts of our regions. All the states/regions are economically viable and the over centralization is what resulted in the over dependence on the center for funding.
Tell me one state that cannot fund itself in Nigeria of today.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Seun(m): 8:12pm On Jan 18, 2008
The rest of the world is coming together and we are talking about splitting up?
Nigeria cannot split up. We are united by oil and trade. Give it up.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by ono(m): 8:22pm On Jan 18, 2008
Seun:

We are united by oil and trade. Give it up.
I like the way you put it. But let me put it pragmatically: United by oil (99%) trade (1%).
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by presido1: 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2008
We all know we are not united and can never be. Left for the Igbo and ND's they want to go. The yorubas dont like the Igbos but wont let them go why? The Hausas dont like the Igbos but wont let them go why? Are the Igbos the back bone holding Nigeria togather?. If we cannot have true fedarilism and at the same time not united to be a nation why not let go peacefully.
@Poster
I think it will be the best thing to do since we can never co-exist without problem and beleive me Nigeria is too big for the present politicians we to govern.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 18, 2008
@TOPIC

No. I can't imagine losing my Yoruba friends.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by presido1: 9:27pm On Jan 18, 2008
You wont loose then rather you will not come from the same country but as ecowas states you can still leave in Lagos or oshogbo as the case may be.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by TheSly: 9:30pm On Jan 18, 2008
if dissolution of Nigeria is the way forward!, then i'd be glad to support it! cool
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by ono(m): 10:19pm On Jan 18, 2008
stillwater:

@TOPIC

No. I can't imagine losing my Yoruba friends.

Who told you you'll lose any friend? Well I have friends over here in Ndjamena, friends in Ghana and other countries. We meet once in a while. So, tell me how you'd loose your Yoruba friends if you're in a new country outside this cursed one?
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 18, 2008
ono:

Who told you you'll lose any friend? Well I have friends over here in Ndjamena, friends in Ghana and other countries. We meet once in a while. So, tell me how you'd loose your Yoruba friends if you're in a new country outside this cursed one?

And who is fighting with you? Why are you biting yourself?
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 18, 2008
am from the south and i bet you guys from the esat will suffer the effect the most cos u'd be under eternal servanthood to the northerners.you know westerners are mumus. cool grin
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by debosky(m): 10:58pm On Jan 18, 2008
trust some ill advised comments to pop up on this thread, just typical.

@ ono

there is much more tying Nigeria together than oil & trade, there are shared histories, strong economic linkages and asset ownership which is not based on 'state of origin'

Nigerians need to be given the ability to sit down and talk, all theis 'yoruba's don't want igbos' and 'hausas can't stand ND' is reductionist at best. This is the reason the smaller ethnic groupings keep clamouring for their own states so their voices don't get drowned under the Yoruba-Hausa-Igbo noise. The complexities of the Nigerian state cannot be reduced to mere oil and trade or tribal origin.

A truly sovereign national conference with people elected to serve there based on their ethnic nationalities and groupings to discuss how we want to be together as a nation is needed.

@ Seun

some nations are breaking up, only to reunite, but on their OWN terms. What we need to do is to renegotiate with each other on the basis of this union.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 18, 2008
stillwater:

Chill grin Ono is not fighting with you . . . nationalistic fervour is what i see in his post.

debosky:

A truly sovereign national conference with people elected to serve there based on their ethnic nationalities and groupings to discuss how we want to be together as a nation is needed.

we've been singing this song since when? 1993 or before? cheesy 10 yrs from now we will be singing the same tune.
Look no hausa man will sit down with you to renegotiate anything . . . as long as it means they lose access to oil funds then there will be no negotiations.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 18, 2008
yeah davidylan, thats the truth, bt i enjoy debosky's informed? opinion. an SNC may not be the best opition, it wastes our national resources.think a referandum on/from our mobiles would be just cool.but first we need a southern president to do that.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by deor03(m): 7:38am On Jan 19, 2008
rubbish
Forget it. We are staying united. if you don't like this country. Walk into TOGO and get a citizenship of TOGO. It won't be difficult for you ok
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by dot2002(m): 12:08pm On Jan 19, 2008
Personally i can't stand a united Nigeria! it will never work, just assess the incumbent president, tell me why he should have been him and not someone chosen by the Ibo. Nigeria is 419, no apologies for being a prophet of doom? let have a referendum and see if everybody won't like to control their resources.
Things will continue to go on like the present situation no matter what happen because if things drastically improve, for example our exchange rate to a level comparable to Euro today then suddenly we will have some super affluent billionaire (very few individuals and several Nigeria politicians) but this will not happen over-night perhaps in the next 100yrs? now that is hope to far
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Sijien(m): 8:06pm On Jan 19, 2008
and none of the break up campaigners has ever ever proposed how d new conturies will work. abeg jo same shit different day. make una go find better thing do.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by ono(m): 8:34pm On Jan 19, 2008
stillwater:

If you think I'm biting myself after reading and replying your post, then I guess you need to do some checkup yourself.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by ono(m): 8:36pm On Jan 19, 2008
debosky:

trust some ill advised comments to pop up on this thread, just typical.

@ ono

there is much more tying Nigeria together than oil & trade, there are shared histories, strong economic linkages and asset ownership which is not based on 'state of origin'

Nigerians need to be given the ability to sit down and talk, all theis 'yoruba's don't want igbos' and 'hausas can't stand ND' is reductionist at best. This is the reason the smaller ethnic groupings keep clamouring for their own states so their voices don't get drowned under the Yoruba-Hausa-Igbo noise. The complexities of the Nigerian state cannot be reduced to mere oil and trade or tribal origin.

@ Seun

some nations are breaking up, only to reunite, but on their OWN terms. What we need to do is to renegotiate with each other on the basis of this union.

David has very well posted what my reply would have been. But also I must state that we will never have any referendum until the oil dries up.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jan 19, 2008
ono:

If you think I'm biting myself after reading and replying you post, then I guess you need to do some checkup yourself.

We would go to the hospital together.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by invisible2(m): 10:34pm On Jan 19, 2008
Nigeria will continue to be together for its own good. It makes economic and business sense, ask seun! Do you think he will have as many ppl visiting this site if it were for yorubas only?

But we must stay together, i will soon také three wives, one from hausa, a yoruba and an Ibo.

As someone mentioned earlier, anyone who doesnt want this country to stick together should go and live in Dafour region.
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by invisible2(m): 10:44pm On Jan 19, 2008
The problem with splitting is that it will not stop with three countries carved out of this entity.

After you divide this country into three, the ijaws will want to get their own country to be selling oil to oyinbo, only for them pocket. The calabar ppl will want their own country, afterall they no dey hear the language of the ijaws, Delta state can divide into ten countries with this our thinking. Remember how many languages dey there.

I dont care who rules this country, be he Ibon Yoruba or Hausa, or even from senegal!
All i care for is good roads, water, electricity, security, food abundance and healthcare.

This country must change for the better!
Re: Should Nigeria Split Up? by Esss(m): 10:53pm On Jan 19, 2008
Nigeria in all fairness is not a truly united country.

Too many tribes, too many languages, too many beliefs, too many traditions, e.t.c
It was a wrong idea to amalgamate the North and the south. They just dont fit.

But as for the issue of splitting the country, I say no. There is strenght in numbers. We need each other to truly survive as a nation.
The way forward is running true federalism. Take away power from the top. Everyman becomes independent of the the other. But I say we remain togerther as a country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transcript Of Henry Okah's Interview On Al Jazeera / Crowd At Apc Mega Rally In Osogbo Refuses To Use Umrella In The Rain / Kayode Ogundamisi: Why Do Yorubas Inject ''Igbo'' Into Everything In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.