Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,881 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:14 AM

Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November (7927 Views)

Petrol Stations To Start 24 Hours Service- DPR / Chibok Girls Alive And Kicking, Says Boko Haram’s Contact - TVC NEWS [ABUJA] / Diezani Alison-Madueke Released On Bail - TVC News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by celepapa: 9:16am On Oct 03, 2012
For the first time Africa's voice would be projected at the global scene.

TVC News, a 24-hour news channel owned by Continental Broadcasting Service Nigeria Ltd., will begin airing across Africa from November and will compete with international broadcasters for viewers.

TVC News, which will be based in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital, will have offices in Abuja, the capital, and the southern oil hub of Port Harcourt, Nigel Parsons, chief executive officer of CBS, said in a Sept. 21 phone interview. The company will also have offices in Johannesburg, Nairobi, Accra and Dakar, he said.

TVC News will join other pan-African stations, such as Johannesburg-based eNCA, which became South Africa’s first 24- hour news channel four years ago. eNCA has bureaus across Africa’s largest economy, as well as in Lagos, Nairobi and Beijing and correspondents in Zimbabwe, Ghana and Tanzania, according to its website.

“Part of the reason of this channel is too many foreign channels just cover death and disaster in Africa,” Parsons, who is a former managing director at Al Jazeera English, said from Lagos. “There’s a lot to celebrate, business is booming in Africa.”

Sub-Saharan Africa’s economy will probably expand 5.4 percent this year as rising commodity prices and increased oil production help to offset a slowdown in Europe, according to the International Monetary Fund.

TVC News has secured agreements to air on British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc (BSY) in the U.K., Naspers Ltd. (NPN)’s DSTV in Nigeria, Multi TV in Ghana, said Parsons. The channel is also in talks with TopTV and DSTV in South Africa, DISH Network Corp. (DISH) in the U.S. and Wananchi Group Ltd. in Kenya, he said.

Revenue will come from a mix of sponsorship and advertising, as well as being supported by CBS’s existing TVC Entertainment channel and Radio Continental, said Parsons.

The channel employs about 350 people, which includes editorial, technical, management and administration workers, he said. Parsons declined to comment on the amount invested in the station.

TVC News will follow “a similar model” as other international 24 hour news channels, like the British Broadcasting Corp., Cabel News Network Inc. and Al Jazeera, said Parsons.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by celepapa: 9:33am On Oct 03, 2012
Do you think we need to project our voice at the global scene and ensure that the World see Africa Through African Eyes ? Need your comments
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by billante(m): 1:10pm On Oct 03, 2012
Nice development! More jobs being created for d unemployed! I just hope it has a good business plan so it won't go the way of NN24, 234next etc...

They really need to be on top of every breaking news by having correspondence almost everywhere and also affiliations, so that people will have d confidence of always getting situation report of every breaking news...this will drive traffic audience and inevitably advertisers.

2 Likes

Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Afam4eva(m): 1:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
Is it the same TVC that currently airing a terrestrial channel? I actually think this is a welcome development. We need a channel that can project the good part of Africa to the outside world. it mustn't always be about war, poverty and starvation.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by SkyBlue1: 1:42pm On Oct 03, 2012
afam4eva: Is it the same TVC that currently airing a terrestrial channel? I actually think this is a welcome development. We need a channel that can project the good part of Africa to the outside world. it mustn't always be about war, poverty and starvation.

We need a voice that will tell our stories with a bit more objectivity and local insight, not a channel that will 'project the good part of Africa to the outside world'. The media can be a good tool in the process of democracy, we need to drop this ego tripping. If I want to read about just nice things I can pick up a children's novel about unicorns and fairies having tea with the farm animals.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Afam4eva(m): 1:44pm On Oct 03, 2012
Sky Blue:

We need a voice that will tell our stories with a bit more objectivity and local insight, not a channel that will 'project the good part of Africa to the outside world'. The media can be a good tool in the process of democracy, we need to drop this ego tripping. If I want to read about just nice things I can pick up a children's novel about unicorns and fairies having tea with the farm animals.
The partial balance will definitely be there. We have to sell ourselves to the outside world rather than belaboring on the hardship in Africa. How many times have you seen CNN projecting America in a bad light?
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by billante(m): 2:56pm On Oct 03, 2012
afam4eva: Is it the same TVC that currently airing a terrestrial channel? I actually think this is a welcome development. We need a channel that can project the good part of Africa to the outside world. it mustn't always be about war, poverty and starvation.

Yes it is d same TVC on terrestial channels owned by bola tinubu and co...

Let them just report every news that developes whether good or bad...its embarrasing to always get local breaking news from foreign station....and there should be more of live feeds from this station...just like d recent qatar airline emergency landing! A serious local station should have followed that stuation live cause d news broke as early as 30 mins before d plane landed.

The suprising thing there is that this live reporting doesn't even need an OB van to be used....new technologies has developed portable devices as small as a suitcase to transmit live feeds from remote locations.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Horus(m): 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
TVC News channel need to broadcast worldwide, not only in Africa. A Nigerian satellite is capable of broadcasting digital tv channels.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Afam4eva(m): 3:08pm On Oct 03, 2012
billante:

Yes it is d same TVC on terrestial channels owned by bola tinubu and co...

Let them just report every news that developes whether good or bad...its embarrasing to always get local breaking news from foreign station....and there should be more of live feeds from this station...just like d recent qatar airline emergency landing! A serious local station should have followed that stuation live cause d news broke as early as 30 mins before d plane landed.

The suprising thing there is that this live reporting doesn't even need an OB van to be used....new technologies has developed portable devices as small as a suitcase to transmit live feeds from remote locations.
You don't mean it. So, Tinubu owns that station...no wonder they showed his birthday celebration like how many times. They also keep showing programs that LTV is supposed to be showing. I always knew there was something amiss about that station. Now i know better.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by taharqa: 3:24pm On Oct 03, 2012
Sky Blue:

I agree with you. Media houses should not set out to push any agenda or opinion( 'good' or 'bad') except they expressly state that any such opinion is theirs. Let this new Tv channel show Africa as it is, and since Africa is not remotely as bad as the Western media portray her as, the good would be obvious just as the bad would also be showd.....i love what d Great AA poet Langston Hughes once said ' We know we are beautiful and ugly too'..just show it as it is whilst projecting and protecting Africa's interests. Congrats to the owners, wish them well
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by celepapa: 3:44pm On Oct 03, 2012
These are brilliant comments. Always knew that Nigerians and Africans would one day rise to clean up the mess of colonization and the negative image some African leaders have created in the past years.

Yes TVC News is owned by Continental Broadcasting Service (CBS),owners and operators of TV Continental( Now TVC Entertainment),Radio Continental 102.3FM amongst other stations. But for TVC News, the first pan-African 24 hour news station to be launched in November, it is not about the owner and the perception of the owner, but its about projecting Africa's voice at the global scene. news reporting that is fearless, relevant and reliable.

TVC News would not only broadcast in Nigeria, but can be viewed across Africa,Europe,USA etc. For the first time Africans can tell their own stories.

TVC News ... Through African Eyes
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by tpia5: 3:56pm On Oct 03, 2012
africa is too big to be considered one single country.

you dont see north america broadcasting in this manner.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by billante(m): 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
celepapa: These are brilliant comments. Always knew that Nigerians and Africans would one day rise to clean up the mess of colonization and the negative image some African leaders have created in the past years.

Yes TVC News is owned by Continental Broadcasting Service (CBS),owners and operators of TV Continental( Now TVC Entertainment),Radio Continental 102.3FM amongst other stations. But for TVC News, the first pan-African 24 hour news station to be launched in November, it is not about the owner and the perception of the owner, but its about projecting Africa's voice at the global scene. news reporting that is fearless, relevant and reliable.

TVC News would not only broadcast in Nigeria, but can be viewed across Africa,Europe,USA etc. For the first time Africans can tell their own stories.

TVC News ... Through African Eyes

I can see u are their PR or a worker there!? Abeg Job vacancy comot for there? make I tender my CV!

U said CBS owns other stations apart from TVC entertainment and radio continental which other stations are they?
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by celepapa: 4:00pm On Oct 03, 2012
TVC News would provide a better insight to this long age argument
tpia@:
africa is too big to be considered one single country.

you dont see north america broadcasting in this manner.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 03, 2012
for nairalanders who do not stay in lagos, like myself, can anybody tell us what the picture quality is like? Using AIT as a benchmark in nigeria for good quality visual and audio. Is TVC terrestrial better than AIT or of the same picture quality as AIT (ait is good, but comparing to picture quality of bigger news networks like cnn, aljazzera it still lags behind). Or is TVC as bad as NTA?
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by celepapa: 1:23pm On Oct 04, 2012
TVC News pictures can only be compared to that of CNN, Aljazeera and the likes. Africa would atleast for the first time be proud of having a news station that can compete for viewers in the Global scene. Some members of the management team are:

Nigel Parsons, CEO

Nigel Parsons was the pioneer MD of Al Jazeera English, overseeing the channel from concept to launch. It was immediately recognised as one of the ‘Big 3’ global news channels,He has also worked as an editor, reporter and producer for the BBC, ABC America, CBC Canada, The New Zealand Herald, and RTHK Hong Kong.

Lemi Olalemi- Deputy CEO

Lemi Olalemi began his career in broadcasting in 1979, when he joined Radio Lagos and LTV as a producer. He then became the pioneer Director of Programmes at Channels TV, before acting as a technical and programming consultant for MITV and AIT

Stuart Young, Director News & Programmes

Stuart Young has worked in the television industry for 30 years, in international news.Stuart was the youngest ever Deputy Editor of BBC TV's flagship "Nine o’clock News", Output Editor for CNN, a senior member of the launch teams for Al Jazeera English, Euronews and Middle East Broadcasting Centre.

RICHIE DAYO JOHNSON – DIRECTOR

RDJ as he is often called brings to the dynamic management team almost three decades of Anglo/African experiential knowledge in the communications industry.He worked at GEC, Newton Aycliffe, County Durham and IBM London before becoming Joint Managing Director of Universal Communications Group and later Deputy Managing Director of The Job Paper, London.
A radio and television broadcaster by training and an alumnus of the prestigious University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK, RDJ is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a certified Life and Business Coach, an accomplished Toastmaster and guardian of Etiquette and Modern Business Manners.

And the list goes on and on... Africa must be heard at the global scene
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Afam4eva(m): 1:40pm On Oct 04, 2012
Henry120: for nairalanders who do not stay in lagos, like myself, can anybody tell us what the picture quality is like? Using AIT as a benchmark in nigeria for good quality visual and audio. Is TVC terrestrial better than AIT or of the same picture quality as AIT (ait is good, but comparing to picture quality of bigger news networks like cnn, aljazzera it still lags behind). Or is TVC as bad as NTA?
The only thing AIT will have above TVC is the reach. In terms of picture quality they're almost at par.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:
You don't mean it. So, Tinubu owns that station...no wonder they showed his birthday celebration like how many times. They also keep showing programs that LTV is supposed to be showing. I always knew there was something amiss about that station. Now i know better.

Lolzzzz...would that knowledge now make you to change your opinion about the station and what it intends doing globally? just asking grin
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Afam4eva(m): 2:17pm On Oct 04, 2012
ilugunboy:

Lolzzzz...would that knowledge now make you to change your opinion about the station and what it intends doing globally? just asking grin
I hope it doesn't because i may start watching the station with a different eye now..lol grin
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by DisGuy: 2:31pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:
I hope it doesn't because i may start watching the station with a different eye now..lol grin

what eye do you watch AIT wit then....?
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by DisGuy: 2:33pm On Oct 04, 2012
celepapa: TVC News pictures can only be compared to that of CNN, Aljazeera and the likes. Africa would atleast for the first time be proud of having a news station that can compete for viewers in the Global scene. Some members of the management team are:

Nigel Parsons, CEO

Nigel Parsons was the pioneer MD of Al Jazeera English, overseeing the channel from concept to launch. It was immediately recognised as one of the ‘Big 3’ global news channels,He has also worked as an editor, reporter and producer for the BBC, ABC America, CBC Canada, The New Zealand Herald, and RTHK Hong Kong.

Lemi Olalemi- Deputy CEO

Lemi Olalemi began his career in broadcasting in 1979, when he joined Radio Lagos and LTV as a producer. He then became the pioneer Director of Programmes at Channels TV, before acting as a technical and programming consultant for MITV and AIT

Stuart Young, Director News & Programmes

Stuart Young has worked in the television industry for 30 years, in international news.Stuart was the youngest ever Deputy Editor of BBC TV's flagship "Nine o’clock News", Output Editor for CNN, a senior member of the launch teams for Al Jazeera English, Euronews and Middle East Broadcasting Centre.

RICHIE DAYO JOHNSON – DIRECTOR

RDJ as he is often called brings to the dynamic management team almost three decades of Anglo/African experiential knowledge in the communications industry.He worked at GEC, Newton Aycliffe, County Durham and IBM London before becoming Joint Managing Director of Universal Communications Group and later Deputy Managing Director of The Job Paper, London.
A radio and television broadcaster by training and an alumnus of the prestigious University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK, RDJ is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a certified Life and Business Coach, an accomplished Toastmaster and guardian of Etiquette and Modern Business Manners.

And the list goes on and on... Africa must be heard at the global scene

this looks like a solid bunch..on paper, hope they atleast compete well with even the South African TV stations first
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Afam4eva(m): 2:39pm On Oct 04, 2012
Dis Guy:

what eye do you watch AIT wit then....?

My regular eye.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by DisGuy: 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:
My regular eye.

so the fact they broadcast all pdp affair, wedding etc doesnt obviously raise an eyebrow...

1 Like

Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2012
It looks like a solid squad, at-least on paper. I hope it doesn't go the way of NN24, I remember NN24 had a former vice-president of CNN on their board, yet the company failed the way it did. With all of advertisements of CNN's richard quest nothing to show for it (nn24). I hope TVC would do well, tinubu also owns the nation newspapers, yet the paper is widely read, at least here in p/h. My hope is this company does well.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Afam4eva(m): 2:45pm On Oct 04, 2012
Dis Guy:

so the fact they broadcast all pdp affair, wedding etc doesnt obviously raise an eyebrow...
I've not noticed...even if they do, i'm not concerned because they have the right to broadcast whatsoever they want as long as they're being paid for it. But one thing i will be totally against is twisting the truth to soothe any political party.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 04, 2012
AIT news picture quality, asides south african news agency, they (ait) have better picture and audio quality than all the other t.v stations here in nigeria and the rest of sub-saharan africa

1 Like

Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by doctokwus: 5:02pm On Oct 04, 2012
I hope TVC lives up to d hype;there is no african global news station;ait definitely isn't,and yet d nigerian nay african news environment is a barren goldmine(bliv me)waiting to b tapped.If any station can evn broadcast 1/100th of d numerous news in africa live,with international standard broadcasting,dat station wi reap a fortune and bcome d standard 4which events are broadcast& may evn,like CNN did,shape d course of events in d continent.I weep evryday wen I hear of d almost hourly news worthy events in nigeria,tune stations& yet don't c any single one broadcasting live;evn wen dey do air d news much later, its via feeds frm foreign stations,whc are in summary like form.I was quite impressed wt TVC's coverage of d nigerian elections,if dey can build on dat wt a professional core of staff,dey might change d tv news landscape;it shd remember dat news dese days is covered& oftentimes broadcast on d field as it happens,to b analysed later by competent professionals;not newsreel of still pictures(sometimes evn no pics)by poorly trained pple wt no grasp of d issues.Wish Tvc luck
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by PeterKbaba: 8:30pm On Oct 04, 2012
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 04, 2012
Thanks chief for posting the video. They are far better than NTA and slightly better quality than AIT. All the same I hope they are successful. The fact that it's owned by tinubu, would not make nigerians over hear in southern part of the country have a different view of the T.V station, like thenation newspapers, most people know that it's owned by tinibu, yet it's amongst the highest selling paper in the country. At least with tinubu, they should have a decent financial base and the know how, on how to run a successful media coy. Considering the gains made by the nation newspapers.
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by superior1: 9:43pm On Oct 04, 2012
This is definitely a good one. I will be watching out for it
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by DisGuy: 1:40am On Oct 05, 2012
whats with nigerian news stations not having websites? (apart from channelstv)

very weird
Re: Pan-african TVC News To Start 24-hour Broadcasting From November by Johndoe100(m): 2:54am On Oct 05, 2012
Henry120: Thanks chief for posting the video. They are far better than NTA and slightly better quality than AIT. All the same I hope they are successful. The fact that it's owned by tinubu, would not make nigerians over hear in southern part of the country have a different view of the T.V station, like thenation newspapers, most people know that it's owned by tinibu, yet it's amongst the highest selling paper in the country. At least with tinubu, they should have a decent financial base and the know how, on how to run a successful media coy. Considering the gains made by the nation newspapers.

Look at this foool. Are you talking to yourself?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Orders: We Will Cut Buhari To Size – Judges / Adams Oshiomhole Urges APC Governors To Implement New Minimum Wage / Osinbajo: Nigeria To Work With Other Countries To Improve Economic Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.