Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity (30995 Views)

1000 NAMES, TITLES, AND ATTRIBUTES OF GOD (A-Z)WITH BIBLE VERSES / Is God A Creature Or A Creator?. / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 08, 2012
Billyonaire: God consciousness is highest realm known to man. For man to become Spirit and for Spirit to progress to God. No be beans!
As man is, God once was; As God is, man may be !
To become a God, Spirit has to attain perfection and wait on the hierarchy. Since creation, there have been many representatives who became God, and represent Divine Will in the lower worlds, the Title of Godhood is eternal, yet the Personality of Spirit changes with time. God is a perfect crown. As you progress in the God Consciousness, you will come to know the HARD TRUTH. When God said 'Let us make man in our own imagine' Does it mean, He alone didnt make man ? If so, who created them all. 'There is something bigger than God'....and it is not a being...STAY TUNED.
oh shut the 4k up with ur foolishness...
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by chucky234(m): 6:07pm On Oct 08, 2012
In Gen 1 vs 26 Then God said,let US make mankind in our own image,in our likeness,so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky,over the livestock and all the wild animals,and over all the creatures that move along the ground. NIV
God is not three person but three in one person and that's why God said in the above,let "us" make mankind in "our" own image. When God said "us" he was referring to Christ (God the son) and Holy Spirit (God the holy ghost),the Bible also confirmed that Christ is Lord.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by ektbear: 6:08pm On Oct 08, 2012
Eze Promoe: The Holy Trinity which is God the Father (Almighty), God the Son (Jesus Christ) and God the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of God) are one just as you (human being) have your spirit, soul and body. PERIOD!

That is the way I understand it too.

They are all aspects of one being. Anyway, for me it isn't the Jesus or the Father stuff that concerns me....that mostly makes sense to me. If me and my dad started a corporation, I might end up being the public face of the company, while he works on more behinds the scenes stuff.

It is this Holy Ghost who makes me feel kind of weird...I don't really understand him.

1 Like

Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 08, 2012
De-Grace01:

Read matt.28 vs 19 baptise them in the name of the Father of the Son and the Holy Spirit, probably this is not in your own bible.

Again , you cannot use ONE verse to form a doctrine that nowhere else exists in the bible.

Baptising in the name of God the Father , His Son and His Spirit, does not even remotely suggest that JESUS is GOD or GOD is three.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by IleIfe2(m): 6:10pm On Oct 08, 2012
[size=13pt]1 John 5:7 (New King James Version). For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

Genesis 1:26 (New King James Version) .Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[a] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

[/size]
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:10pm On Oct 08, 2012
musKeeto:
oh shut the 4k up with ur foolishness...
God consciousness is highest realm known to man. For man to become Spirit and for Spirit to progress to God. No be beans!
To become a God, Spirit has to attain perfection and wait on the hierarchy. Since creation, there have been many representatives who became God, and represent Divine Will in the lower worlds, the Title of Godhood is eternal, yet the Personality of Spirit changes with time. God is a perfect crown. As you progress in the God Consciousness, you will come to know the HARD TRUTH. When God said 'Let us make man in our own imagine' Does it mean, He alone didnt make man ? If so, who created them all. 'There is something bigger than God'....and it is not a being...STAY TUNED.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 08, 2012
ekt_bear:

They are all aspects of one being. Anyway, for me it isn't the Jesus or the Father stuff that concerns me....that mostly makes sense to me. If me and my dad started a corporation, I might end up being the public face of the company, while he works on more behinds the scenes stuff.

It is this Holy Ghost who makes me feel kind of weird...I don't really understand him.

The Holy Spirit is simply GOD's Spirit .

Jesus said :

"God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." - John 4:24

God does not have 2 Spirits, he has ONE Spirit, he is Spirit.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by joe4christ(m): 6:12pm On Oct 08, 2012
frosbel:

GOD is ONE , stop dividing HIM.

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.

I only have one question for you all.
Why then do you refer to Jesus as Lord when the scripture clearly stated that there is only one lord God

And what do you have against this part of the scripture out of many other which clearly stated:

[size=15pt]Philipians 2:5-11
5 Your attitude should be the same that christ Jesus had
6 Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his right as God.
7 He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form.
8 And in human form he obidiently humbled himself even further by dying a criminal's death on a cross.
9 Because of this, God raised him up to the heights of heaven and gave him a name that is above every other name,
10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow , in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord (PLURAL) to the glory of God the father. [/size]
Or should i still quote Colossians 1:19 or should i ultimately nail it all by quoting thus:
Colossians 2:9 [size=15pt] For in Christ the fullness of God lives in a human body [/size]

what more should i quote there a numerous of them right here before me, but u cannot see cos u've been blinded to this mystery, or need i quote prophet isaiah who prophecied hundreds of years before christ his nature?

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born and unto us a son is given and the government shall be upon his shoulder and his NAME (Singular) shall be called wonderful, councellor, the mighty God (Plural), the everlasting father, the prince of peace.

or should i still maybe shock u a bit incase u forgot the 'popular verse u've always memorized as a child in sunday school back in those days'
[size=15pt]mathew 1:23[/size] Look! The virgin will conceive a child!
She will give birth to a son,
and he will be called EMMANUEL (Meaning God is with us)

But if after reading all this you still do not believe Jesus is God which he undeniably is, then i can only advice you to atleast hold on to the believe that he is the son of God, but the truth remains that there is a level you will never go with him without knowing who he really is.
God bless you.
Joe4christ!!!

5 Likes

Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 08, 2012
joe4christ:

Why then do you refer to Jesus as Lord when the scripture clearly stated that there is only one lord God

And what do you have against this part of the scripture out of many other which clearly stated:

7 He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form.
8 And in human form he obidiently humbled himself even further by dying a criminal's death on a cross.
9 Because of this, God raised him up to the heights of heaven and gave him a name that is above every other name,
10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow , in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord (PLURAL) to the glory of God the father. [/size]
Or should i still quote Colossians 1:19 or should i ultimately nail it all by quoting thus:
Colossians 2:9 [size=15pt] For in Christ the fullness of God lives in a human body [/size]

what more should i quote there a numerous of them right here before me, but u cannot see cos u've been blinded to this mystery, or need i quote prophet isaiah who prophecied hundreds of years before christ his nature?

we have been here before.

I want you to show me in the BIBLE Where it says that GOD is Three.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Goshen360(m): 6:15pm On Oct 08, 2012
frosbel:

Jesus said :

"God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." - John 4:24

Okay. Very Good point. As I was engaging you on the other thread and you are dodging me. If God is Spirit in nature and God has one Spirit. How can God being a Spirit still have a Spirit If you can prove that a Spirit (God) can have a Spirit, the we can conclude that the Holy Spirit is NOT distinct from God. But if You cannot prove that God being a Spirit CANNOT have another Spirit, it will then mean that the Holy Spirit is distinct from the Father.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ile-Ife:

[size=13pt]1 John 5:7 (New King James Version). For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

Genesis 1:26 (New King James Version) .Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[a] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

[/size]

The part of 1 John 5:7 that you quoted is generally regarded as not part of the Bible - it's missing in older manuscripts so it was likely added by Catholic controled translation to buttress the Trinity doctrine. Most modern Bible translations, rightly remove these text - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_Johanneum

According to the Bible, Jesus existed before being born on earth so the creation account likely referred to him. It does not make him equal to God. It's clear from the Scriptures that Jesus is subordinate to God.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 08, 2012
joe4christ:

Philippians 2:6, 7

"Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men."

Problem:

Great stress is placed on "morphe" (the Greek word for form) by trinitarians and others like the J.W.'s who teach that Christ had a pre-human existence. It is argued that "in the form of God" means that Christ had the nature of God before his birth, and it was this which he sacrificed
in coming to the earth to live as a human.

Solution:
If "in the form of God" means the very nature of God, then Christ could not have been "Very God" while on earth, as trinitarians assert, since this is what he is said to have sacrificed and left behind in coming to the earth.

The Greek word "morphe" (translated "form" ) does not refer to "essential nature" as the trinitarian cause requires. This is proven by the following:

"Eidos", not "morphe" is the Greek word which conveys the idea of "essential nature". As Liddell and Scott point out in their lexicon, "morphe" means form, shape, fine, beautiful form or shape, figure, fashion, appearance, outward form or semblance. It is opposed to "eidos" which means "true form".

In the context of this passage, it is stated that Christ "took upon him the form of a servant" (vs. 7). But what is the form of a servant (Grk. "doulos", a slave)? The "essential nature" of a slave is the same as that of any other human being. The form, therefore, must refer to the semblance or demeanour of a slave as the distinguishing characteristic.

"Morphe" occurs in only one other place in the N.T. - Mark 16:12, and here it clearly does not mean "essential nature". Jesus appeared "in another form", but this could not refer to a change of his essential nature since the reason why he appeared to be in another form was because the disciples' "eyes were holden". (Luke 24:16 cf. vs. 31). Not even a trinitarian or a J.W. would be prepared to say that Christ's essential nature was changed after his resurrection and glorification.

How was Christ in the form of God? He had the semblance and demeanour of the Father mentally and morally. His character was the express image of his Father's person. (Heb. 1:3).

Sometimes trinitarians stress that Christ was originally in the form of God - i.e., "being" in the form of God is taken to mean that he was in fact "Very God" before his "incarnation". The Greek verb "huparchon" refutes this position since it is in the imperfect tense which expresses action yet, or still in course of performance. Time signified by an imperfect tense is of a continual, habitual, repeated action, so that "being in the form of God" means "being, and continuing to be in the form of God". Christ never ceased to be in the form of God since in semblance and demeanour from his birth he habitually exemplified his Father's character. Note the use of "huparchon" in the following passages:

Acts 2:30 - "Therefore being a prophet does not mean "being originally before birth a prophet", but rather a prophet and continuing to be such.

1 Cor. 11:7 - "Forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God" does not mean "being originally before he was born the image and glory of God", but rather being the image of God and continuing to be.

Gal. 2:14 - "If thou being a Jew" does not mean "being originally before his birth as a Jew", but rather if you from the start and continuing to be a Jew.

"Thought it not robbery to be equal with God" is generally acknowledged to be a poor translation. The R.S.V. reads as follows: "He did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped." Unlike Eve who grasped after the fruit which was to be desired to make one like God (the "elohim" ) to know good and evil, Jesus refused to take the kingdoms of the world without the crucifixion of the flesh and the declaration of the righteousness of his Father. In the Garden of Gethsemane he subjected his will to his Father's, not arrogating to himself prerogatives that rightly belonged to his Father. (Matt. 26:39).

How did Christ take the form of a servant (slave)? Two passages supply the answer:

"If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet." (John 13:14).

"Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered. And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:8, 9).

Although Christ was in the form of God in his semblance and demeanour, he took on him the semblance and demeanour of a slave.

"He humbled himself"; "he emptied himself" R.S.V. (vs. 8 ), refers to Christ's deliberate choice to submit his will to that of his Father. Christ was worshipped (Matt. 8:2; 9:18), performed the works of God (John 10:37-38 ), and forgave sins (Matthew 9:2), but he never arrogated to himself authority which had not been delegated to him by the Father. In so doing his example was a powerful lesson in humility to the Philippians. But if Christ "being originally, before his birth, while he was in heaven in the form (essential nature) of God thought at his birth, when he descended into the womb, not to be equal with God, but left the form of God",1 where is humility demonstrated?

Source
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by chucky234(m): 6:18pm On Oct 08, 2012
Billyonaire: Trinity is false teaching, so that question is wrong in the first place. God consciousness is highest realm known to man. For man to become Spirit and for Spirit to progress to God. No be beans!
Too much alomo bitters is causing more damage to your brain than you can imagine,you need help real fast.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by albacete(m): 6:21pm On Oct 08, 2012
chucky234: In Gen 1 vs 26 Then God said,let US make mankind in our own image,in our likeness,so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky,over the livestock and all the wild animals,and over all the creatures that move along the ground. NIV
God is not three person but three in one person and that's God said in the above,let "us" make mankind in "our" own image. When God said "us" he was referring to Christ (God the son) and Holy Spirit (God the holy ghost),the Bible also confirmed that Christ is Lord.

Exactly! Just like when 2 people become one when they get married

"and a man shall leave his father and mother and cling to his wife, and the two shall become one."
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by EzePromoe: 6:24pm On Oct 08, 2012
ekt_bear:

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God whom Jesus refered to as 'The Comforter.' Luke 24:49. JESUS used this as a way of 'compensate' (like you will say) the disciples and to reassure them that he is still with them. This Holy Spirit is that being that dwells in you which makes you to work in the ways of God according to the guidance of the Holy Spirit just opposite to the evil spirit which enters into people and make them misbehave.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by EzePromoe: 6:27pm On Oct 08, 2012
frosbel:

Jesus said :

You understand what we are talking about but your problem is that you understand it in a carnal way.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Ganys: 6:29pm On Oct 08, 2012
frosbel:

GOD is ONE , stop dividing HIM.

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Quran also says:

"Kul Huwa llahu Ahadun"
"Say! Allah(God) is ONE"
"Walam Yakun Lahu Kufwan Ahadun"
"And there is Nothing Like HIM"
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by albacete(m): 6:32pm On Oct 08, 2012
frosbel:

we have been here before.

I want you to show me in the BIBLE Where it says that GOD is Three.

i think u are missing an important question.

Why does the scripture say that Jesus is Lord?

Or was that the translation of ur so called "heavily biased Catholic scholars?
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by ektbear: 6:35pm On Oct 08, 2012
I don't think it matters too much, this stuff. God knows your heart. If you believe in the Trinity and it turns out to be wrong or slightly off, this isn't going to be a deal breaker.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 08, 2012
chucky234: Too much alomo bitters is causing more damage to your brain than you can imagine,you need help real fast.
So what makes you think your version of the story about God is true. So sick and tired of this baby stories from the books written by neanderthals.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by albacete(m): 6:43pm On Oct 08, 2012
Billyonaire: So what makes you think your version of the story about God is true. So sick and tired of this baby stories from the books written by neanderthals.

mind if i ask who u worship?

God or "what is bigger than God"?
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Deltagal: 6:54pm On Oct 08, 2012
If Jesus is the Almighty God why did he call God father? When someone called him good why did he say only one is Good-the father.if Jesus is the Almighty God why did he say no one knows the time of the end not the angels nor the son but the father? Who did Jesus pray to on all tjhe different occassions he did? Why is it that when stephen saw a vison of heaven Jesus who is supposed to be God himself was standing at the right hand of God? Why did Jesus say at the garden of Gethsemane let this cup pass over me but let not my will take place but yours? Why did he say the Father is greater than I am john14:28.why did Jesus say in john 17:3 that 'this is everlasting life that they may know u the only true God and Jesus christ whom u sent forth?) In revelation 1:1 why did God still have to give Jesus d message to give an angel who then gave John?? As for the holy spirit everyone who thinks and has a good knowledge of the bible knows that it is Gods active force which he uses to accomplish his purpose.just d way electric current activates a million and one appliances. Jesus christ was the first thing(person) created by God. A(colossians 1:15,rev 3:14-16) that's why he is called the firstborn son.God is head of christ just as christ is d head of man and man is d head of d woman.trinity doctrine is not only pagan it is blasphemous.anyone who doesn't agree is fulfiling 1cor4:4 kiss

1 Like

Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 08, 2012
albacete:

mind if i ask who u worship? God or "what is bigger than God"?
I commune with IT, I do not worship. Worship,is shallow. When you become one with spirit, you will understand. Its deeper than life.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by DANILSA(m): 6:56pm On Oct 08, 2012
Eze Promoe: [size=36pt]The Holy Trinity which is God the Father (Almighty), God the Son (Jesus Christ) and God the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of God) are one just as you (human being) have your spirit, soul and body. PERIOD![/size]
WHY DO U HAVE TO LIE IN BOLD.PLEASE NOTHING LIKE TRINITY, JESUS SAID THE FATHER IS GREATER THAN I AM,AM GOING TO THE FATHER,OUR FATHER IN THE HEAVENS,WHO DO YOU THINK HE WAS REFERRING TO??
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Caseless: 6:57pm On Oct 08, 2012
frosbel:

Sold by the catholic church along with Mary and other non-Christian doctrines and implemented by FORCE.

I hope you know that not only Muslims and Jews were killed for rejecting this madness, thousands of Christians who held to ONE GOD were burnt at the stake, tortured, exiled and humiliated.

how many christains Do we have like frosbel who thinks like dis? Bros, i dey learn frm u abeg. Keep it up!
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by IbrahimB: 6:57pm On Oct 08, 2012
stagger: God forbid that I will use the brain of my fellow man to explain his nature. God the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one and the same. That said, the word "Trinity" was never used in the bible and is a man-made word used to describe the tripartite nature of God.

Mr OP, good luck to you on your exposition.

Eh .. not exactly.

" Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. "

Matthew 12:32.
This verse makes a clear distinction between the "son" and the "holy spirit".

There are countless biblical verses that show that the "father", "son" and "holy spirit" are distinct and not the same. If you want more examples, I will happily oblige smiley.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by alaoeri: 7:07pm On Oct 08, 2012
Watching & learning from the side line.
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by albacete(m): 7:08pm On Oct 08, 2012
Billyonaire: I commune with IT, I do not worship. Worship,is shallow. When you become one with spirit, you will understand. Its deeper than life.

Hmmm!
That's scary, u know.

Does "IT" have a name?
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by tevinsolt: 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2012
look at it this way..........let say God = race of three eternal persons in one purpose just like a man would leave his father and mother to join with his wife and become ONE flesh
God is love = (who was he loving before any creation?)
God (the father and son)sent the holy spirit many times in the old testament during the exodus of the Israelites
father sent his son "word" to redeem humankind
son asks father to glorify him with the glory he had with him before creation
son sends holy ghost to remind believers of what he did while on earth
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 08, 2012
now, why concentrate on this, God is God, the word "trinity" does not exist in the bible and so do"rapture". in conclusion, fear God and keep his commandment
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by fergusen: 7:13pm On Oct 08, 2012
THE GODHEAD or HOLY TRINITY:consists of 3 separate,distinct, & recognizable personalities & qualities, perfectly united in ONE.D Father, D Son, and D Holy Ghost are different persons, co-eternal, co-existent and co-equal in power and divine attributes dat make each God. .Matt 3:16,17;2Corint 13:14;Matt 28:19,20.The Godhead is a great mystery which is clearly beyond d finite mind of the unsaved natural man.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Dilemma : Is GOD a Trinity by owendei(m): 7:18pm On Oct 08, 2012
d word TRINITY does nt imply THREE GODS, bt THREEE PERSONS (ways in which God shows/operates). God d FATHER (creator), God d SON (redeemeer), God d HOLY SPIRIT (sanctifier). yes d word 'trinity' is nt in d bible. it is a human word used to explain God's nature. wen d CREATOR was 2 form man, He said let US create man in OUR own image n likeness. pls who are d US n whose image is referd 2 a OUR? i guess dis does nt suggest THREE GODS bt Gods nature xpresd in THREE ways. may d grace of our LORD JESUS CHRIST (the REDEEMER), d lov of GOD (the CREATOR), n d fellowship of d HOLY SPIRIT (the SANCTIFIER) abide wit us nw n 4eva. am waitin 2 respond 2 ONLY peaceful contrary views. ciao!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Muslims Provide Security For Christians At Christmas Service In Kaduna / Pastor Sam Adeyemi Celebrates His Father, Stephen Adeyemi, At 85 (Photos) / Reasons Why God Is Not Subject To His Own Laws !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.