Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,761 members, 7,806,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Studying In Finland (free Tuition) - Travel (263) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Studying In Finland (free Tuition) (948530 Views)

Study In Finland For Undergraduate (tuition Free) / Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!! / Study In Finland In September: Tuition Free! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) ... (371) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by chaiks: 3:55am On Apr 22, 2017
larrygal:

4.49 on d scale of 5? Ur school wicked ooooooo...so dey can't round it up to 4.5...I think u stand a chance, as AV said earlier dat I don't really know much
Abt my papers ..yes published online
OK. As for wat my school did, I v to bear. Thanks for answering.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by presiade(m): 6:51am On Apr 22, 2017
larrygal:

Bt u finished ur masters in Finland .....so r u not determined then?
I was after Canada for two years,I tried Manitoba,Alberta and sakaschewan, no potential supervisor , I spoke wit a lecturer from Manitoba he said he s not ready to supervise Nigerian student..Bt I believe my PhD won't be dat stressful to get
If u have a link to get me a masters admission to any of Canadian sch listed above wit full scholarship and a grant(living expenses)i will appreciate

Thanks in advance

I'm more determined than an average Joe. Most people here get broken and disappointed along the way.... People here don't tell how things really are to prospective students... If people were sincere in answering the questions I posed before resigning and moving to Finland then, I wouldn't have gone there. I'm not saying Finland is bad, but if you have something good doing in Nigeria it's better you go to another country no matter the stress involved (it's an investment that pays off later on).... As for links, you have to search out that on your own; that's part of your required research skills. With good grades, impressive GRE score and good recommendations I believe you'll be fine (say in US/ Canada).... Of course, not everyone can get full scholarship and grant in Canada, a fact!

Modified: I just noticed that you got full funding... That's still very good for you.... My advice is mainly meant for someone with no/ partial funding. BTW, how did you know I've graduated
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by larrygal(f): 9:28am On Apr 22, 2017
presiade:

I'm more determined than an average Joe. Most people here get broken and disappointed along the way.... People here don't tell how things really are to prospective students... If people were sincere in answering the questions I posed before resigning and moving to Finland then, I wouldn't have gone there. I'm not saying Finland is bad, but if you have something good doing in Nigeria it's better you go to another country no matter the stress involved (it's an investment that pays off later on).... As for links, you have to search out that on your own; that's part of your required research skills. With good grades, impressive GRE score and good recommendations I believe you'll be fine (say in US/ Canada).... Of course, not everyone can get full scholarship and grant in Canada, a fact!

Modified: I just noticed that you got full funding... That's still very good for you.... My advice is mainly meant for someone with no/ partial funding. BTW, how did you know I've graduated
Lol...how did you know I got full funding.
I got to know that through your previous post on ur profile page...
On a more serious note, i have not decided yet cos my marriage is still young and am running my masters in unilag(just started)
Oya gist me now, how s d educational system there, u said it s not easy for student and u almost made a 5point(na super distinction be dat)
As per your PhD will u consider staying in Finland if admitted abi u have vex patapata
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by presiade(m): 11:38am On Apr 22, 2017
larrygal:

Lol...how did you know I got full funding.
I got to know that through your previous post on ur profile page...
On a more serious note, i have not decided yet cos my marriage is still young and am running my masters in unilag(just started)
Oya gist me now, how s d educational system there, u said it s not easy for student and u almost made a 5point(na super distinction be dat)
As per your PhD will u consider staying in Finland if admitted abi u have vex patapata

I know you can make some deductions from my post, but how you were so certain I'm done is what surprised me... Many people don't know I'm done self...

Anyways, the fact is that they generally don't know how (or don't want) to teach here you have to learn everything you'll learn from the scratch by yourself (most times). I'm not talking about spoon-feeding (I hate it personally) but there are some basic things that need to be taught especially in some advanced courses... Anyways it not easy... If you have time on your side you can develop several skills; the system is good... Somewhat of self-paced learning

I have Doctoral funding with my prof. already, though I'm still considering other options... (lips sealed).
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by frankie2K(m): 6:32pm On Apr 22, 2017
larrygal:

Lol @ my ND,HND,PGD. Dat should not be a barrier now.
Abt d processing, God will provide for you abundantly
Thanks my dear for d encouragement. I really suffered convincing many schools that I am eligible with the trio. You did well in ur Bsc and publications u did. Cos of funds I was doing mine via www.academia.edu
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by larrygal(f): 7:06pm On Apr 22, 2017
presiade:

I know you can make some deductions from my post, but how you were so certain I'm done is what surprised me... Many people don't know I'm done self...

Anyways, the fact is that they generally don't know how (or don't want) to teach here you have to learn everything you'll learn from the scratch by yourself (most times). I'm not talking about spoon-feeding (I hate it personally) but there are some basic things that need to be taught especially in some advanced courses... Anyways it not easy... If you have time on your side you can develop several skills; the system is good... Somewhat of self-paced learning

I have Doctoral funding with my prof. already, though I'm still considering other options... (lips sealed).
Lol....@d bolded , na simple calculation..
I will like to know more from you ...can u send me your email
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by larrygal(f): 7:17pm On Apr 22, 2017
frankie2K:

Thanks my dear for d encouragement. I really suffered convincing many schools that I am eligible with the trio. You did well in ur Bsc and publications u did. Cos of funds I was doing mine via www.academia.edu
Wow ...I love that , thanks for d link I find it useful
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Cmanforall: 8:18am On Apr 24, 2017
larrygal:

I got admitted into uef wit 100% scholarship and monthly stipends...yet to start the Rp processing
Congrats! And welcome to UEF.

Kuopio or Joensuu campus?
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by queendoreez(f): 8:20am On Apr 24, 2017
presiade:

Hi, i was looking for threads on Finland and i came across your posts. I am making plans to relocate to Finland, not as a student but with my family and we have filed in papers for our permits. But i noticed from your posts that you don't have good reviews for the country.

Also i researched about cities with affordable houses for sale and i noticed that smaller cities like Lieksa in North Kariela has houses for 40,000€ - 70,000 € than big cities like Helsinki, Oulu, Tampere etceteras. In your opinion what are the best cities to settle down with family. I work online as a freelancer.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by larrygal(f): 10:27am On Apr 24, 2017
Cmanforall:

Congrats! And welcome to UEF.

Kuopio or Joensuu campus?
Joensuu.

1 Like

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by frankie2K(m): 1:36pm On Apr 24, 2017
queendoreez:

Hi, i was looking for threads on Finland and i came across your posts. I am making plans to relocate to Finland, not as a student but with my family and we have filed in papers for our permits. But i noticed from your posts that you don't have good reviews for the country.

Also i researched about cities with affordable houses for sale and i noticed that smaller cities like Lieksa in North Kariela has houses for 40,000€ - 70,000 € than big cities like Helsinki, Oulu, Tampere etceteras. In your opinion what are the best cities to settle down with family. I work online as a freelancer.
Keep the spirit high and dont relent. At least Finland is better than Nigeria in all ramification
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by queendoreez(f): 3:42pm On Apr 24, 2017
frankie2K:

Keep the spirit high and dont relent. At least Finland is better than Nigeria in all ramification

Exactly my thoughts, the situation in Nigeria has degenerated so much in the last couple of years. One has to struggle for virtually everything, power supply, water, good health care, good roads and prices of foodstuffs has skyrocketed etceteras. My kids deserve a better life and i owe them that.

And thank you sir for your kind words and congratulations on your admission.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by chaiks: 7:59pm On Apr 24, 2017
queendoreez:

Exactly my thoughts, the situation in Nigeria has degenerated so much in the last couple of years. One has to struggle for virtually everything, power supply, water, good health care, good roads and prices of foodstuffs has skyrocketed etceteras. My kids deserve a better life and i owe them that.

And thank you sir for your kind words and congratulations on your admission.
you are a progressive minded individual for thinking it worthwhile to leave this country even when you have kids. I wish am in a position to Kickstart my processing now . God I'll see you through.

3 Likes

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by queendoreez(f): 11:31pm On Apr 24, 2017
chaiks:
you are a progressive minded individual for thinking it worthwhile to leave this country even when you have kids. I wish am in a position to Kickstart my processing now . God I'll see you through.

Amen, thank you sir.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by frankie2K(m): 8:33am On Apr 25, 2017
chaiks:
That is the spirit I like. Forget all those blogs that will discourage you from leaving and advice you to stay here with high hopes that people make it here. A country that cares less of its citizens and the few jobs left are for the children of d high and mighty with connections. Then they will tell others to be enterprenuers to learn how to barb or ride keke or plait here. I ask do we need certificates to do those things. I started a Masters program here and before I will finish it, 1.2mill will be down. I abadoned it mehn. Better i use that money go Finland for a better education

2 Likes

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by frankie2K(m): 8:37am On Apr 25, 2017
larrygal:
Wow ...I love that , thanks for d link I find it useful
How far for ur RP application?
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by larrygal(f): 10:03am On Apr 25, 2017
frankie2K:

How far for ur RP application?
Have done d online application but am yet to submit it ..I don't know if I shld pay d RP fee online or I shld pay at d embassy..

How far wit urs,from wat I saw on ur page, u got admitted last year, y u no move
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by presiade(m): 4:20pm On Apr 25, 2017
queendoreez:

Also i researched about cities with affordable houses for sale and i noticed that smaller cities like Lieksa in North Kariela has houses for 40,000€ - 70,000 € than big city such as Helsinki, Oulu, Tampere etceteras. In your opinion what are the best cities to settle down with family. I work online as a freelancer.

Well, I have stated my objective observations about the country in my posts. It might be a bit easier for you if you have some cash to throw around before you finally settle down. I'm quite sure you'll get your permits soon, once you show good amount of funds.
The languages (Suomi) is often used as a pretext, but if your business is online you should be ok.

I think it's better to live in a bit big city such as Tampere/ Turku/ Hameenlina... (Helsinki might be on the too expensive side) because of the opportunities that may be open later on. In addition, racism may still be a bit tacitly pronounced in small cities/towns...

Tampere is really cool, and Turku is also lively.

1 Like

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by tolam08(m): 4:30pm On Apr 25, 2017
Please I have a friend who was just offered a full scholarship to Finland with 560 euros as living expenses monthly. I want to ask if he can live a comfortable life with this living expenses budget or if any available way he can work since he's on a research masters program and not by course work to augment his expenses.
The school is LUT

1 Like

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by mantleguy(m): 4:39pm On Apr 25, 2017
larrygal:

Have done d online application but am yet to submit it ..I don't know if I shld pay d RP fee online or I shld pay at d embassy..

How far wit urs,from wat I saw on ur page, u got admitted last year, y u no move
Please if you succeed in paying online let us know. My friend could not pay online with a master card.. We don't know why
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by queendoreez(f): 4:55pm On Apr 25, 2017
presiade:

Well, I have stated my objective observations about the country in my posts. It might be a bit easier for you if you have some cash to throw around before you finally settle down. I'm quite sure you'll get your permits soon, once you show good amount of funds.
The languages (Suomi) is often used as a pretext, but if your business is online you should be ok.

I think it's better to live in a bit big cities like Tampere/ Turku/ Hameenlina... (Helsinki might be on the too expensive side) because of the opportunities that may be open later on. In addition, racism may still be a bit tacitly pronounced in small cities/towns...

Tampere is really cool, and Turku is also lively.

Okay, we'll consider looking at the big cities like you suggested. We also have this relocation properly planned financially, so i am hopeful there won't be any hitches.
Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by presiade(m): 7:40pm On Apr 25, 2017
tolam08:
Please I have a friend who was just offered a full scholarship to Finland with 560 euros as living expenses monthly. I want to ask if he can live a comfortable life with this living expenses budget or if any available way he can work since he's on a research masters program and not by course work to augment his expenses.
The school is LUT

As a student, a prudent individual can make do with just €300-350 monthly (depending on lifestyle, of course). If you are on scholarship, you need to properly review the scholarship terms to see if you have the right to work, and to what limit if allowed...
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by chaiks: 8:46pm On Apr 25, 2017
[quote author=tolam08 post=55907607]Please I have a friend who was just offered a full scholarship to Finland with 560 euros as living expenses monthly. I want to ask if he can live a comfortable life with this living expenses budget or if any available way he can work since he's on a research masters program and not by course work to augment his expenses.
The school is LUT[/quote congrats to your friend. Please did the school provide accommodation for your friend?
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by chaiks: 8:47pm On Apr 25, 2017
frankie2K:

That is the spirit I like. Forget all those blogs that will discourage you from leaving and advice you to stay here with high hopes that people make it here. A country that cares less of its citizens and the few jobs left are for the children of d high and mighty with connections. Then they will tell others to be enterprenuers to learn how to barb or ride keke or plait here. I ask do we need certificates to do those things. I started a Masters program here and before I will finish it, 1.2mill will be down. I abadoned it mehn. Better i use that money go Finland for a better education
I tire for naija. You took d best decision. Enjoy life.

1 Like

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by frankie2K(m): 9:36am On Apr 26, 2017
tolam08:
The school is LUT
your friend is lucky to be among the 5% offered full scholarship. The 560 will be enough and from LUT, they didnt mention dat benefactors wont work but they insisted that benefactors will meet up with 55 credit units per semester
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by frankie2K(m): 9:41am On Apr 26, 2017
mantleguy:

Please if you succeed in paying online let us know. My friend could not pay online with a master card.. We don't know why
online payment has been difficult in almost all platforms since this era of buharinomics. So go to any stanbic bank and do your payment. The bank name and account is on d embassy site
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by frankie2K(m): 9:45am On Apr 26, 2017
larrygal:

I doubt u can pay online. Just visit any stanbic bank and make d payment. Go to the embassy with a teller copy. Remember to put the teller copy in ur package while sending to d embassy. My dear I tampered with the funds in my account and on that I was declined
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by larrygal(f): 12:10pm On Apr 26, 2017
frankie2K:

I doubt u can pay online. Just visit any stanbic bank and make d payment. Go to the embassy with a teller copy. Remember to put the teller copy in ur package while sending to d embassy. My dear I tampered with the funds in my account and on that I was declined
Thanks, u r such a darling.d 300euro application fee,will I convert with parallel market exchange rate or cbn if am to make cash payment
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by frankie2K(m): 12:46pm On Apr 26, 2017
larrygal:

Thanks, u r such a darling.d 300euro application fee,will I convert with parallel market exchange rate or cbn if am to make cash payment
None of the above. The embassy has already done that. I think the RP money is 97,500 or thereabout. Check the finish website in Nigeria and u will get a clear picture and where u will pay d money and account number
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Cmanforall: 2:14pm On Apr 26, 2017
larrygal:
Joensuu.
You're welcome.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by larrygal(f): 2:59pm On Apr 26, 2017
frankie2K:

None of the above. The embassy has already done that. I think the RP money is 97,500 or thereabout. Check the finish website in Nigeria and u will get a clear picture and where u will pay d money and account number
Thanks,thanks,thanks .will I also need to submit statement of acct .

(1) (2) (3) ... (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) ... (371) (Reply)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.