Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,991 members, 7,803,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates (27008 Views)

Dino Melaye And His Cars' Number Plates / Edo Pays Workers’ November Salaries Ahead Of Other States / Fashola Got Tongue Lashed For Saying*lagos Won't Vote For GEJ* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by cutievik: 6:53am On Oct 04, 2012
Everyone wants development,everyone wants classical infrastruture,every Nigerian wants an orderly enviroment.But pay the utimate price we yell nd take to our heels.Dettol said nd i quote 'If we don't take care of things,who will?''.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by pendusky(m): 6:53am On Oct 04, 2012
this is a clear indication that lagos is not part of Nigeria... Maybe ther driving at a Divided state then get independence, Pls do u guys knw a country called Lagos?
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Biggyd2: 6:53am On Oct 04, 2012
Fashola for 2015! One people, one Nation! lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed undecided

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by bknight: 6:54am On Oct 04, 2012
The topic is misleading...

Op should pls indicate who it affects (commercial vehicle/those who 'live' in lagos) because some hasty readers will start thinking its once they see any car with other states' plate, as if u can't visit lagos from other states in ur own car.

Be properly guided. cool

1 Like

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Donlouise(m): 6:55am On Oct 04, 2012
ikoha: where is Lagos?
. Lagos is in london grin
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Ozonna(m): 7:01am On Oct 04, 2012
I'm not a lawyer but I think this runs against the Law of the Country. Are the Plate numbers not from the FG? And we've not started practicing True Federalism like USA, so Ogugua's California example can't work here.

A lawyer who wants make name can sue LASG.
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 04, 2012
Ozonna: I'm not a lawyer but I think this runs against the Law of the Country. Are the Plate numbers not from the FG? And we've not started practicing True Federalism like USA, so Ogugua's California example can't work here.

A lawyer who wants make name can sue LASG.

I used the example because they mentioned they got the idea from the US lol.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 04, 2012
manny4life: Priceless......

Mr Fashola does have some traits of a dictator...
I quite agree with u but atimes we need these laws to checkmate our excesses. An average Nigerian is naturally lawless. We need the likes of Sanusi and Fashola to make the fight against corruption,lawlessness and other ills plauging our society effective. Besides these laws already exist on the paper,fashola is merely enforcing them. I'm sure in the next few years,every nigerians both politrickcians and masses wil be proud to call lagos state a home where instead of traveln out of the country for education,tourism,medical treatment,they wil prefer lagos state. I only wish those bombing and killing people in other states are wise enough to know the damages they are doing to their states.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Slizbeat(m): 7:10am On Oct 04, 2012
They say "A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A STEP" What took America over 200 years to attain naim lagos want attain in less than 100yrs. Well its gud to learn fast buh d fact remains that it will crumble soonest. If they feel its a gud policy and does not contravens any part of the constitution, then they should carry it out at their own risk afterall it does not affect private jet and helicopter owners like me. cheesy
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 04, 2012
kheart: Arrant nonsense, why not enact law for people to have yoruba mark on their face too.
that one go make sense pass! Can't wait to have "TIGER CLAWS" on my face! Lol!
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Ozonna(m): 7:13am On Oct 04, 2012
ogugua88:

I used the example because they mentioned they got the idea from the US lol.

size38: Rubbish. They only cites USA when it suites them and looks the other way when it does not.
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by etunoman76(m): 7:13am On Oct 04, 2012
ogugua88:

I think we need to see the full contents of the law. If they're copying the US, then these drivers need to provide proof of permanent residence or gainful employment. It's a good idea, but I do have questions pertaining its timing as well as its requirements. A lot of drivers, especially okada men, don't have permanent places of residence. If you go according to the California law, if one doesn't have a residence, then gainful employment is required. Is being a driver considered gainful employment?

I am a civil engineer and gets a building contract in Lagos that'll take about 4-6 months to execute, and I decide to travel down there with my car for ease of transportation, with the intention of going back to my permanent base in Abuja. Does that mean that I'll now have 2 pairs of plate nos and double registration, one for Abuja and the other for Lagos?
I'm trying to comprehend the logic behind this particular part of the law

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by ba7man(m): 7:17am On Oct 04, 2012
fulfillment2020: Misplaced priority. What has the use of other states plate number got to do with providing effective transport system for the average Lagosian? Someone sholud please call Fashola to order.
Its really is a good development. The reason is stated there; "To have records of commercial vehichles operating in the state". We need a reliable datadase in this country and not only Lagos. Lagos is moving ahead without allowing the rest of the country hold it back, as they say; Upgrade or get left behind. At this rate, those Agberos will b forced to become more civilized since it seems there's no place for their behaviour in the future of lagos.
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by luvinhubby(m): 7:17am On Oct 04, 2012
The Lagos state govt. should also pass a law penalising the state executive for not making our roads and other infrastructures the same as the ones in U.S and other developed countries. U.seless bunch of c.rooks. !!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Delafruita(m): 7:18am On Oct 04, 2012
surveyProf: Anyway we hv to give it to governor Fashola, but the question is, what if a commercial bus driver, having used his bus in a neighbouring state like Ogun State and perhaps have spent lots of money in registring his bus, only to discover that it is more profitable running the Lagos axis, does these not amount to some kind of double registration and abuse of the system?
A person who has chosen to make a living via transportation should be ready to obey the laws of that section.for example,if a person operates a bus on a personal basis and decides to convrt it to commercial purpose,the law states he must change the plate number to the red-coloured commercial plate number.is that double registration?for those who live in lagos and have fallen victim of the one chance menace,we appreciate this law.the lagos state government has sanitised and is still sanitising the transportation sector.almost all vehicles in lagos are now in the database due to the electronic vehicle license renewal system.this will definitely aid in fighting crime.besides it makes absolutely no sense to purchase a vehicle in lagos,register it in plateau and then use the vehicle in lagos.many of those vehicles never even visit the states their registration was done in.lagos state is showing us how it should be done and in my opinion,this should become the standard.vehicles should be registered in the states where the owner is resident

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 04, 2012
Can't he think outside of box? what sort of nonsense is this?? some people are so carried away because of degree..

I wonder if there is any state governor without a degree/HND but that doesn't mean they should start practising their career on the lives of citizens. Imagine the governors with MBBS e.g Uduanghan commanding everyone to use the state hospital.. All non indigenes should register with the state hospital before gaining access to the state cos they may bring in water borne diseases to infect the people of delta.

Someone should talk sense into the head of this man.. c'mon nor be only you get degree..
Governors plenty wey get better degree pass the one wey dey shack you..
Nonsense!

Can you even imagine? advicing private car owners to do same! WTF! is wrong with this man.. ??

1 Like

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 04, 2012
Nigerian govts are too quick to copy without a proper infrastructure to carry out such imported idea.

The same way CBN rushed into cashless policy.

Do lagos state govt have a well organised computer data base to conduct and monitor this new law? Can they correlate the same with other state's or federal data base?
Or is this jst a way to increase tax collection without any positive impact on the lives of lagosians in terms of security or arrest of traffic law defaulters.

So inter state commercial vehicles shuldnt use lagos bus stops? This is madness! I agree they shuldnt pick up passangers frm the bus stops buh not to arrest them for dropping off passengers...na wa o!

Well,I jst hope lagos state govt has the necessary facilities ,man power and well thought out benefits to residents.
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:21am On Oct 04, 2012
agoha_vivi: It's unfortunate that some non-lagosians especially, view Fashola as the best candidate to rule this nation, come 2015. The truth remains that he's a mean, brutal dictator in actual sense.

It takes a civilian dictator like BRF to rule Nigeria and not a weak man like GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:23am On Oct 04, 2012
manny4life: Priceless......

Mr Fashola does have some traits of a dictator...

If that pushes Lagos State forward so be it.

Let other follow

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 04, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:

It takes a civilian dictator like BRF to rule Nigeria and not a weak man like GEJ.
an Abacha is 100% better than a rude civilush dictator..

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 04, 2012
Ozonna, I'm aware, otherwise I wouldn't have searched through our law lol. They need to be exposed.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Exponental(m): 7:25am On Oct 04, 2012
This is uncalled for!
Is dis about revenue generation or security
For every ten cars u count in other states, u get at least one lagos registered. In ogun state, u get about half or more.
Why inconvenience people?
Why devide Nigeria?
Why d segregation?
What we need are solutions to issues, why create other issues?
..........harmonize d people in d state, better solutions can originate to issues rather than shying away from issues.
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by ahf(m): 7:26am On Oct 04, 2012
Can any lawyers clarify the exact text of this so called law that Lagos State is claiming?

Does the state have such powers?
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 04, 2012
Hmmmm. FG should act fast and stop this sick people ooo before it is too late. What is the meaning of this shit?
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by spendogram: 7:30am On Oct 04, 2012
FG does not seem to have control over activities within its territory but Lagos wants to. There is nothing wrong with that.This is a good move from the Lagos State Government. Ensuring that individuals behind ANY activity is traceable to a database is the simple rule of modern governance.
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by jhydebaba(m): 7:30am On Oct 04, 2012
Lagos is now a meager city!!!
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 04, 2012
Donlouise: . Lagos is in london grin
london is in ikeja...lol grin
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 04, 2012
ahf: Can any lawyers clarify the exact text of this so called law that Lagos State is claiming?

Does the state have such powers?

Must it always be LAW LAW and LAW? ? ? Na only him get law degree ? ? ? we have governors with 3 degrees including one in international law.. yet doing well without putting pressure and fear on citizens..

Fashola is a lawyer without intelligence.. simple

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by brodalikeme(m): 7:31am On Oct 04, 2012
What has what is written on yr number plate got to do with yr behaviour? Don't you think will create unnecessary difficulty for people coming into the state. Well we must generate internal revenue sha.
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by impetus: 7:36am On Oct 04, 2012
“This is a standard procedure. As a matter of fact, it you have lived in a state for about three months, you are no longer a visitor and therefore you must change your number plate to reflect the state. It is done in America and other developed nations.

These guys are very funny, how can they compare Nigeria with developed countries? Things that works there don't work here. If Lagos wants to be a country of its own, they should say it out. I wouldn't be surprise if they ask their residents to change their names to Yoruba names. The presidency is very weak, looks like Lagos state is taking advantage of the presidency's weakness.
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by amblors(m): 7:37am On Oct 04, 2012
ABSolUTE Rubbish, this shouldn't b an issue @ all, I mean like eva
Re: Lagos Won't Allow Other States Number Plates by Nobody: 7:37am On Oct 04, 2012
size38: Rubbish. They only cites USA when it suites them and looks the other way when it does not.

Yes I am waiting for fashola to enact the same US like law that allows citizens born in any given state to run for any politically office.

A man feeling he can reign supreme, is a fool; if plate numbers from other states aren't welcomed in Lagos - them mobil corporate headquarters by all means and right should be in my state.

The people masses made lagos what lagos is - he should build a mega city for them and leave them to be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Boko Haram Is Funded Outside Nigeria - Jonathan Tellss UN / Dasukigate: 6 Reasons Why Jonathan Must Be Made To Break His Silence / Femi Taiwo Responds To Reno Omokri's Allegation About Election Results Server

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.