Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect (1016 Views)

Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / Righteousness Of The Laws Of Moses Vs Righteousness Of Grace Of Christ By Faith / The Second Heaven (placebo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by naves(m): 10:14am On Oct 04, 2012
the placebo effect is sometimes seen in medicine were a person can be given a sugar cube and be told that it is a special drug that can cure his illness and surprisingly when the person takes it , he/she was well.(for more information on placebo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo or http://www.skepdic.com/placebo.html ) my question is can is healing by faith be a much advance form of it. is there any similarities etc.
Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by OmoAlata(f): 10:28am On Oct 04, 2012
2 Kings 13:21

Once while some Israelites were burying a man, suddenly they saw a band of raiders; so they threw the man's body into Elisha's tomb. When the body touched Elisha's bones, the man came to life and stood up on his feet.

So my question is, "what believe did the dead man have for the placebo to have worked?"
Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by mkmyers45(m): 10:44am On Oct 04, 2012
Indeed it maybe but its important to remember that most studies on prayer and miracles have never EVER worked..Healing is very much psychological that is why a patient feels fine and ok just because he trust his medication. Faith is vital and its one of the things that makes religion important..it gives people hope
Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 04, 2012
Omo Alata: 2 Kings 13:21

Once while some Israelites were burying a man, suddenly they saw a band of raiders; so they threw the man's body into Elisha's tomb. When the body touched Elisha's bones, the man came to life and stood up on his feet.

So my question is, "what believe did the dead man have for the placebo to have worked?"
Na wa for una o. When e favour una, una go quote Nt. another tym, una go say dt covenant don end... i taya..

1 Like

Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by staggerman(m): 11:31am On Oct 04, 2012
The reason most people do not see the manifestation of God's healing in their body is because they don't have faith for it.
Of course some people hope they could get healed, but hope is not faith.
A lot of people have been misled through false teachings and old church traditions that are far from the Truth.
Healing is healing! Simple. Healing does not have to be manifested through special feelings. You don't even have to feel anything. It just happens.
Think about this... When a person is sick (let's say malaria), and given anti-malaria drugs, the person doesn't wait for any special feeling as a proof that the drug is working. Fact is, the only proof is the disappearance of some or all of the malaria symptoms, and the gradual regaining of strength. But the reverse is the case when most people seek Divine healing. They focus on feelings. When a believer lays hands on some sick folks, the sick folks begin to expect tingling sensations over their body. Some want to feel a flow like electric current pass through their body, so they can believe that God has moved within their body to set them free from sickness. This is not always the case. So, most of these people walk away disappointed. As far as they are concerned, God has failed to heal them. They fail to stand in true faith (which is in God's promises), but rather have put their faith in their ability to receive sensations in their body as proof of healing.
This also affects most believers who try to pray for the sick. Some believers wrongfully expect anyone they lay hands on ought to to fall, lose consciousness or feel something move through their body. When this doesn't happen, they think God is absent (like baal in the old testament), or not willing to do anything about the situation. But the truth is, Healing is just healing. Whether it comes through physical medicine or spiritual medicine (God's promise). We do not have to wait for special feelings before we believe we are healed.
Jesus says "When you pray (for your healing) believe that you have received (your healing) and you will have it".
Remember Jesus didn't say when you feel it, believe it. He said When you pray, believe it is done.

God bless you and I pray you witness many more healing everywhere you go. Be blessed.
Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by wiegraf: 12:10pm On Oct 04, 2012
^^^
Stop it
People die because of this sillyness. Directly or not, eg the eediots that refuse their kids polio vaccines. Or these
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1477942/
The rest of use are now at risk of contracting because of these idiots. My good friends father was cured of teh ghey curse teh aids, after plenty a prayer. Of course he died a few months after his cure, from teh aids. You encourage this, you're actively killing peole.
Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by mkmyers45(m): 12:22pm On Oct 04, 2012
staggerman: The reason most people do not see the manifestation of God's healing in their body is because they don't have faith for it.
Of course some people hope they could get healed, but hope is not faith.
A lot of people have been misled through false teachings and old church traditions that are far from the Truth.
Healing is healing! Simple. Healing does not have to be manifested through special feelings. You don't even have to feel anything. It just happens.
Think about this... When a person is sick (let's say malaria), and given anti-malaria drugs, the person doesn't wait for any special feeling as a proof that the drug is working. Fact is, the only proof is the disappearance of some or all of the malaria symptoms, and the gradual regaining of strength. But the reverse is the case when most people seek Divine healing. They focus on feelings. When a believer lays hands on some sick folks, the sick folks begin to expect tingling sensations over their body. Some want to feel a flow like electric current pass through their body, so they can believe that God has moved within their body to set them free from sickness. This is not always the case. So, most of these people walk away disappointed. As far as they are concerned, God has failed to heal them. They fail to stand in true faith (which is in God's promises), but rather have put their faith in their ability to receive sensations in their body as proof of healing.
This also affects most believers who try to pray for the sick. Some believers wrongfully expect anyone they lay hands on ought to to fall, lose consciousness or feel something move through their body. When this doesn't happen, they think God is absent (like baal in the old testament), or not willing to do anything about the situation. But the truth is, Healing is just healing. Whether it comes through physical medicine or spiritual medicine (God's promise). We do not have to wait for special feelings before we believe we are healed.
Jesus says "When you pray (for your healing) believe that you have received (your healing) and you will have it".
Remember Jesus didn't say when you feel it, believe it. He said When you pray, believe it is done.

God bless you and I pray you witness many more healing everywhere you go. Be blessed.
Laying of hands have been largely proven ineffective..
Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by AtheistD(m): 12:43pm On Oct 04, 2012
Religion in itself is a BIG placebo effect. Everybody knows it deep down wink

1 Like

Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 04, 2012
Atheist:-D:
Religion in itself is a BIG placebo effect. Everybody knows it deep down wink

Seconded.
Also, some people's mind are much more receptive, or lets say guillible than others.

Its just like in my secondary school where hands were being laid on us to get the holy spirit.
Hands were laid on me, infact hands have being laid on me countless times, but i felt nothing even though i tried to convince myself i did. Its not that I didnt have faith, I just dont have a very receptive mind.
But there was this girl who I couldn't call the most well informed or critically thinking being. Immediately they laid hands on her she fell to the ground.

Please open your eyes. Our minds much more vulnerable than we could imagine. They can be played on easily.
Hypnotics,magic, the placebo effect, they are all real.
And no they have nothing to do with supernatural forces.
Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by naves(m): 10:50pm On Oct 18, 2012
hello guys sorry, but i think you are all misunderstanding what i am trying to say. i am saying using the concept of "mind over body" in which that belief is one of the most important things needed for anything to work. if a person dose not want the drugs they take to make them feel better, it wont work and vice vicer. is it possible that the same belief a person has for them to take fake(placebo) drug and feel better, is the the same one (but far grater) the a person has for them to be healed of something like cancer.( I AM NOT SAYING THAT EITHER OF THEM IS FAKE)
Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by Joagbaje(m): 3:48am On Oct 21, 2012
naves: the placebo effect is sometimes seen in medicine were a person can be given a sugar cube and be told that it is a special drug that can cure his illness and surprisingly when the person takes it , he/she was well.(for more information on placebo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo or http://www.skepdic.com/placebo.html ) my question is can is healing by faith be a much advance form of it. is there any similarities etc.

There a partial truth based on the principle of faith. The only difference is that the placalebo whatever is a mental thing not spiritual. So it can only give a false temporal mental relief if there any. Faith healing must be based on the power of the name of Jesus .

1 Like

Re: Is Healing By Faith A More Advance Form Of The Placebo Effect by staggerman(m): 5:33pm On Nov 04, 2012
mkmyers45: Laying of hands have been largely proven ineffective..

I have and still do lay hands on the sick and they recover. DO you think sickness has power over men? God forbid.
Even medicinal tablets made by men are powerful enough to knock down, knock out and eliminate symptoms and traces of illness.

Herbal remedies also show significant superiority over a wide range of diseases.

As for laying of hands, that's just the greatest of them all, if you know how to do so. You don't need a degree before you can get a person healed as a believer. You just need the right knowledge.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor E. A. Adegboye's Message @ RCCG Holy Ghost Service / How 'Private Jet Preachers' Aint Different From Corrupt Political Leaders / Should I Let Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.