Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

How To Become An Embedded Software Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Become An Embedded Software Developer (2664 Views)

Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. / Embedded Systems / What Makes A Good Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by harryobas: 8:43pm On Oct 05, 2012
There are many industries starved of embedded software developers such as Apple, Cisco, ZTE etc. The students graduated from CS or EE major fall into the dilemma that the CS students know nothing about the embedded systems and their most proficient language is JAVA which involved little in embedded systems. On the other hand, The EE students have an amount of knowledge about embedded systems but their programming skill is poor. If you enjoy embedded programming and want to be the member of this industry, Here are Steven’s Four Pieces of Advice for newcomer of embedded programming:

1. Become an expert in C
2. Familiar with embedded systems software architectures
3. Learn to read microcontroller datasheets
4. Practice makes perfect
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by simpleseyi: 8:24am On Oct 08, 2012
Can you help me become a software developer?
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by yofakconcept(m): 9:51am On Oct 09, 2012
You got a nice post but make it clear of how to start this, be it online software download for the program or offline links,Thanks

Regards
Adeyemo Ajiboye
www.ayisblog.com
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by mkwayisi: 10:52pm On Oct 09, 2012
@harryobas You're sure you don't want to mention assembly language? EEK!
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by harryobas: 2:01am On Oct 10, 2012
mkwayisi: @harryobas You're sure you don't want to mention assembly language? EEK!

Assembly language is also fine especially for micro-controllers that contain RISC based processors. But C seems to be the language of choice for majority of embedded software development projects.
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by mkwayisi: 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic, but saying C seems to be the language of choice for majority of embedded software development is completely misleading. Even the very core of all mainstream operating systems developed for modern PCs are written in ASM, let alone a device that has few system resources. No one will take his/her chances with the output that the compiler will generate, even though they're getting more intelligent... unless you're writing a hello world program. That doesn't mean C is never used in embedded systems, but the point is you cannot become an *embedded geek* without knowing assembler.
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by harryobas: 12:22pm On Oct 10, 2012
mkwayisi: Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic, but saying C seems to be the language of choice for majority of embedded software development is completely misleading. Even the very core of all mainstream operating systems developed for modern PCs are written in ASM, let alone a device that has few system resources. No one will take his/her chances with the output that the compiler will generate, even though they're getting more intelligent... unless you're writing a hello world program. That doesn't mean C is never used in embedded systems, but the point is you cannot become an *embedded geek* without knowing assembler.

ASM like i said is also fine but it has the disadvantage of being platform specific which hinders portability. Also it requires the programmer to have extensive knowledge of the processor's instruction set which can make the programmer less productive. However some micro-controller C compilers will allow the programmer to insert asm code inline. Also i don't agree with u that its not possible to become an embedded geek without knowing assembler as there are a variety of C compilers and libraries for majority of micro-controllers out there . As i mentioned in my earlier post asm is especially useful when working with micro-controllers that have RISC based processors where u have fewer instructions to learn (about 30 - 35 instructions). But if u are working with CISC processors the need for a higher level language like C will become visibly imperative.
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by hoodboi(m): 2:22pm On Feb 08, 2013
Are you guys not forgeting JAVA
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by hopefullman: 9:28pm On Feb 11, 2013
@op.pls i am a newbie.hw do i becom xpert in embeded programin.thank u
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 14, 2013
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by danvery2k6(m): 2:11pm On Feb 16, 2013
@OP Besides C, is there any other language that can be used for embedded systems software design?
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by jboy01(m): 12:47pm On Feb 19, 2013
danvery2k6: @OP Besides C, is there any other language that can be used for embedded systems software design?
Basic
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by gsmcoder: 7:48pm On Feb 19, 2013
I don't agree with u, as long as micro controllers are concerned, Delphi is my no.1 choice.
Although am into reverse engineering, cryptography has to do with hash based authentication
which requires a smart language. Don't forget Delphi.
Re: How To Become An Embedded Software Developer by hopefullman: 10:46am On Mar 12, 2013
My location is akure.i dnt no if i cn meet any microcontroler programer here 4trainin

(1) (Reply)

All Programmers Are Self Taught / How Do I Download Udemy Courses On My PC For Offline Viewing? / Insert Image Into Mysql

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.