Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? (32243 Views)

The Scandal Of Census Figures / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results / 2006 Census: Stay At Home 24th And 25th of March (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? by Layemi(f): 3:01pm On Apr 15, 2006
census is conducted in a society for evenly distribution of national resources.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? by Zahymaka(m): 3:23pm On Apr 15, 2006
There's nothing like "even distribution." When the North decides what amount should go to the oil-producing states, then there's no even distribution.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? by alabiyemmy(m): 2:30pm On Feb 24, 2007
to Nigerians, census is a waste of mean resources, nothing you do in Nigeria and for Nigerians are ever meaningful to them.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? by McKren(m): 3:48pm On Feb 24, 2007
I simply think the excersize  is waste of time and resources by an unserious nation. Why cant the internal affairs ministry have an all year round birth and death registration, or why cant National Population Commision have such details. People engage in census because it is an avenue to engage in contract scams while politicians on their own use the opportunity to pursue more allocations which they hope to squander. What a directionless nation.

I was listening to a BBC documentary on Nigeria and the commentator was like, "development is a long way away in Nigeria, you cant expect otherwise from a Nation that has been unable to count itself".
Re: What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? by alabiyemmy(m): 4:33pm On Feb 24, 2007
McKren:

I simply think the excersize  is waste of time and resources by an unserious nation. Why can't the internal affairs ministry have an all year round birth and death registration, or why can't National Population Commision have such details. People engage in census because it is an avenue to engage in contract scams while politicians on their own use the opportunity to pursue more allocations which they hope to squander. What a directionless nation.

I was listening to a BBC documentary on Nigeria and the commentator was like, "development is a long way away in Nigeria, you can't expect otherwise from a Nation that has been unable to count itself".
ONE OF SUCH MEANINGLESS COMMENTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS AGAIN - LOOK AT HOW A NIGERIAN TALK. COMPARING REGISTRATION OF DEATH AND BIRTHS TO A NATIONAL CENSUS. SHAMEFUL.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? by McKren(m): 6:01pm On Feb 24, 2007
alabiyemmy:

ONE OF SUCH MEANINGLESS COMMENTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS AGAIN - LOOK AT HOW A NIGERIAN TALK. COMPARING REGISTRATION OF DEATH AND BIRTHS TO A NATIONAL CENSUS. SHAMEFUL.

You are in London, how many times does the Home Office do census (the last one was in 2001 and the next one 2011)// Does that mean there is no default system to know an estimate of the amount of people in Britain at any given time??. You think it makes sense to call someone elses comments shameful without saying anything different or suggesting what you rather think is reasonable.

So there is no relationship anymore between Birth rate, Mortality rate, change in Immigration and Emigration; and the total Number of people in a Nation. Why can't there be a government department like the Internal Affairs Ministry with at least Quarterly updated systen of such database.
shocked shocked :oSorry here comes the height of ignorance.

The very essence of census is for national planning  but it defeats the purpose when you have a system that simply encourages fraud because some state governors want more allocation intead of appreciating the very essence of the excersize. Any reasonable person will agree with me that the current wholistic system is ineffective and calls for a change or needs to be strengthened more or verified using other allied data.
There are whole lot of issues that needs to be sorted out in our country if we must grow, the current system is unsustainable. The Internal Affairs Ministry has got a lot of work to do.

E.g. Look at the present Bank Consolidation, what is the very essence of it// Do you think countries have megabanks for the sake of it?? The obvious answer is no. The very essence of Megabanks is to drive Small and Medium-Sized Enterprices (SMEs) by giving low interest loans to enterpreneurs. The question is what is the future of those banks and our credit system in a country where there is no proper method of identification or address system? This is where the Internal Affairs Ministry comes into play in economic re-engineering.

Considering all these you will understand why I say we are an unserious Nation. There is no genuine desire to do the very necessary things and do them right. We rather pretend to be doing what needs to be done by engaging in charades like National Census. Who is fooling who.

Man don't try to bully me because I don't share your views ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Christian Leaders 'hampered Boko Haram Fight'-BBC / Burial Of Seyi Makinde's Mother, Abigail Makinde (Photos, Video) / Oba Oregun's ₦600 Weekly Tax On Shop Owners (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.