Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed - Politics (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed (41677 Views)

If You Are Disappointed In Buhari Ministerial List, ...... / Danjuma Azemobo Musa Responds To Achebe's New Book / Edo Election: We Are Disappointed – PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 08, 2012
Usama bin Igbo: Awolowo children can be disappointed all they want.
Can you imagine Awolowo who fashioned himself a founding father having fought for independence, only to turn around
and say "Yes sir" to a semi-illiterate foot soldier/Colonel in his thirties. Dont you know that Awolowo was the power behind the throne?
He devised and advised, and implemented those policies. What can any reasonable person conclude?
The name Awolowo is a byword. Awolowo and Hitler are in the same league! Yoruba Nazi

And what are you gonna do about that except to keep cursing and whinning till you bled to death
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by UsamabinIgbo: 9:47pm On Oct 08, 2012
@ilugunboy
"And what are you gonna do about that except to keep cursing and whinning till you bled to death"

Is that your conscience speaking?.....LOL. Ode
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 08, 2012
Usama bin Igbo: @ilugunboy
"And what are you gonna do about that except to keep cursing and whinning till you bled to death"

Is that your conscience speaking?.....LOL. Ode

Yes it's my conscience speaking...it seems you guys are getting too comfortable in the West.
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by kennysbst(m): 10:19pm On Oct 08, 2012
Una never tire!at least una do better,dan my expectations.ok take it or leave it,nothing can separate Yorubas and Igbo because now we do have common blood flow among us.hw I wish my lovely Nkechi can read my commence after d whole bombarded commence!
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Thok(m): 10:31pm On Oct 08, 2012
shocked Ogah oo.. 23 Pages and counting. :
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by dannewlife(m): 10:40pm On Oct 08, 2012
[quote author=ikeyman00]

ikeyman
[/quotte] truth is bitter
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Ngodigha1(m): 10:47pm On Oct 08, 2012
kennysbst: Una never tire!at least una do better,dan my expectations.ok take it or leave it,nothing can separate Yorubas and Igbo because now we do have common blood flow among us.hw I wish my lovely Nkechi can read my commence after d whole bombarded commence!
I think Awo's free education failed you lots. correct this words as soon as possible.
commence
bombarded.
I don't know why yorubas of today are so poor in english language.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ngodigha1:
I think Awo's free education failed you lots. correct this words as soon as possible.
commence
bombarded.
I don't know why yorubas of today are so poor in [b]e[/b]nglish language.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Ngodigha1(m): 12:09am On Oct 09, 2012
Prof Corruption:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Awo's daughter should be more disappointed about her father's betrayal and sudden swallow of rat powder.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Chimanet(m): 12:13am On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

Yes it's my conscience speaking...it seems you guys are getting too comfortable in the West.
Can u chase us? lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, its 1 nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by kettykin: 4:43am On Oct 09, 2012
If all is really fair in War how come Almustapha and other Abacha Hit men are being held for killing MKO Abiola's wife and other NADECO chieftains who breached the constitution of Nigeria by declaring MKO the winner of an inconclusive election, a highly treasonable crime.
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by sneedpahpaz(m): 7:09am On Oct 09, 2012
warrior01:
pls can you tell us how the Igbos started the war?
major Nzeogbu ochestrated d 1st coup in naija,it eventually failed & dis subsequently led 2 d killing of ibos in d north which brought abt Ojukwu & ibos declaring their own state......ders a tin cald GOOGLE Ʊ knw......B enlightened!
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 09, 2012
Ngodigha1:
commence
bombarded.
I don't know why yorubas of today are so poor in english language.
How many times do I need to hit your thick skull on that Again next time write THESE and not THIS!
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 09, 2012
kettykin: If all is really fair in War how come Almustapha and other Abacha Hit men are being held for killing MKO Abiola's wife and other NADECO chieftains who breached the constitution of Nigeria by declaring MKO the winner of an inconclusive election, a highly treasonable crime.

You are too dense to know the defintion of the word WAR...
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by kettykin: 11:36am On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

You are too dense to know the defintion of the word WAR...

Your Limited eductation as a result of the cheap and free education given to you by Awolowo is to be blamed , if i am too dense to understand WAR is it you and your your people that are too educated to understand it ...

you can educate your self from the link below about the real meaning of war

Clausewitz's description of war as a "continuation of politics (Politik) by other means" is of course well known. But it is unfortunately interpreted to mean that war is merely an act of state policy brought forth to acheive a political aim.

http://www.clausewitz.com/readings/Echevarria/ECHJFQ.htm
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 09, 2012
kettykin:

Your Limited eductation as a result of the cheap and free education given to you by Awolowo is to be blamed , if i am too dense to understand WAR is it you and your your people that are too educated to understand it ...

you can educate your self from the link below about the real meaning of war

Clausewitz's description of war as a "continuation of politics (Politik) by other means" is of course well known. But it is unfortunately interpreted to mean that war is merely an act of state policy brought forth to acheive a political aim.

http://www.clausewitz.com/readings/Echevarria/ECHJFQ.htm

The little education that came your way was courtesy of you coming to the West to study....

Next time...peruse your comment before posting..eejitt!! grin
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by kettykin: 12:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

The little education that came your way was courtesy of you coming to the West to study....

Next time...peruse your comment before posting..eejitt!! grin

Obafemi Awolowo was born at Ikenne, western Nigeria on March 6, 1909, the son of a farmer and descendant of Oduduwa, founder of the Yoruba kingdom. Awolowo inherited the titles of Ashiwaju of Ijebu Remo, Losi of Ikenne, Lisa of Ijeun and Apesin of Oshogbo. His early schooling in Ikenne at the Church Missionary Society and Wesleyan School was interrupted by his father’s death and he had to help support the family by cutting wood, marketing it, and other odd jobs. When possible, he attended classes and at sixteen was able to enter the Imo Methodist School in Abeokuta as a full-time student. The next year, he went to Wesley College to train as a teacher and was graduated in 1927.
He taught for awhile, studied stenography at the same time and from 1930 to 1934 worked as a stenographer.

For a year, he was a newspaper reporter, then for eight years was employed by the Motor Transporter and Produce Trader, studied evenings and took his B.Com. degree with honors in 1944. Through hard work and frugal living, he managed to go to London to read law. While at the University of London, he lived in Hampstead lodgings and cooked his own meals.

For relaxation, he studied British colonial policy and frequented places where it was discussed, including the Fabian, Royal African and Royal Empire societies. He attended House of Commons debates and met people interested in overseas problems like Sir Stafford Cripps and Margery Perham, who wrote the foreword to his book Path to Nigerian Freedom (Faber, 1947), which he wrote while a law student.

With Nigerian friends in England, he founded Egbe Omo Odudua, a semireligious society intended to unite Yorubas. He passed his bar examinations with second class honors, received his LL.B. degree and was called to the Bar at Inner Temple in 1947. Returning to Nigeria, he served as solicitor and advocate of the Superior Court of Nigeria from 1947 to 1951. In 1950 he launched the Action Group as the political wing of Egbe Omo Odudua and took over the political activities of the Nigerian Youth Movement of which he had long been a member.

Branches of Egbe Omo Odudua spread to the North and East. To publicize the movement, Awolowo ran a newspaper, the Tribune. In the general election of 1951, the Action Group defeated the well-organized NCNC in the Western region and provided its first government under the new constitution, with Awolowo as Minister of Local Government.

An admirer of Jawaharlal Nehru, Awolowo visited India in 1952–53 to discuss comparative aspects of self-government with him and other Indian leaders. Ceylon, Pakistan and Egypt were included in the trip. Later, Nehru’s autobiography was serialized in the Tribune. Early in 1956, Awolowo, as Premier and Finance Minister of the Western Region, headed a five-member mission on a tour which included Britain, the United States, West Germany, Italy and Japan to arouse trade and investment interest in his country.

Obafemi Awolowo was married on December 26, 1937 to Hannah Idowu Dide Olu. They have two sons and three daughters. The Premier is of medium height and well built and wears Nigerian robes and a dark red and gold turban. With all his political preoccupation, he keeps the mark of missionary training and youthful seriousness and is a devout member of the Wesleyan Church. His approach to politics is realistic and his speeches are filled with hard facts and systematic analysis rather than emotionalism.

Awolowo has stated that “West and East Nigeria are as different as Ireland from Germany. The North is as different from either as China.” He has also noted: “No Communist danger exists in southern Nigeria, though we have a few Communists. There could be a Communist danger in the North, when the feudal system there breaks down.” In regard to British administration was carried out by incompetent, inferior officials, and that the British do not have the true interests of the country at heart. “In fourteen months under the present government, we have done more for Nigeria than the British did in 120 years,” he stated in 1955.

Awolowo worked 8 years as motor park tout aka agbero and went to evening school.

How can someone who went to an evening school and worked partly as a motor park tout give what he does not have Education to yourbas , little wonder that despite their education and not having been throu genocide or through marginalisation has not been able to leverage with those whom he tried wiping out through genocide and those who have been exploited

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
kettykin:

Awolowo worked 8 years as motor park tout aka agbero and went to evening school.

How can someone who went to an evening school and worked partly as a motor park tout give what he does not have Education to yourbas , little wonder that despite their education and not having been throu genocide or through marginalisation has not been able to leverage with those whom he tried wiping out through genocide and those who have been exploited

That same man sent couple of millions of your forefathers to their graves without firing a single bullet but with just his brain... grin grin

The question you should look for answer to is How can someone who went to an evening school and worked partly as motor park tout dispatched your forefathers to grave without holding a gun for a second?

What about that for intelligence?
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by kettykin: 12:33pm On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

That same man sent couple of millions of your forefathers to their graves without firing a single bullet but with just his brain... grin grin

What about that for intelligence?

And the same man (Awolowo) was him self sent to meet his forefathers through rat posion without still his perceived foes firing a single shot, How can one explain a so called educated man who in 1964 was jailed for committing treason and 20 years later he committed the same treason and had to end his life the way he did if his education was really thorough and real.
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 09, 2012
kettykin:

And the same man (Awolowo) was him self sent to meet his forefathers through rat posion without still his perceived foes firing a single shot, How can one explain a so called educated man who in 1964 was jailed for committing treason and 20 years later he committed the same treason and had to end his life the way he did if his education was really thorough and real.

That is the tale your hate-filled forebears passed unto you....and even with the benefit of the rich resources on the internet...youve stubbornly refused to seek for the truth....well if it serves your fantasy...keep believing it. cheesy wink
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by MrEverest(m): 1:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
alj harem:

grin grin grin grin What do you think ? Of course you know the answer. I presume you are not one of the Ignorant silly Igbos here on nairaland eg

Go read your history and facts. We have argued this over and over and over. We are tired of telling you block heads the same things again.

Whats are the facts on ground

1. Achebe is a well respected prof but his recent blunder his not only made him look like a lair, he has also lost his credibility but what does he care he would die soon anyway cause of old age ( Not to sound rude)

2. Yes he lied cause Awolowo also cared for Igbo people and not yorubas alone as he pointed out.

3. Awolowo is not a military man but a civilian so their is not way on earth he did a blockade that is propaganda by your elders.

4. The starvation of baifrans was caused by Ojukwu himself because the food meant for women and children, Ojukwu decided to smuggle weapons with it and feed the soldiers rather than the people intended for.

When a lie goes on for too long it because the truth. That is the issue with you all

If you an adult cannot calm down and read and understand using your imagination (cuz it is different to read and another case to picture what you are reading) to picture this demographics of the war, then there is no point.

What I see and I bet everyother Nigerian sees are just bunch bitter youngers trying to fight the war their forefathers started. smiley
why do you people lie with so much ease and yet lack sense? How could Ojukwu(God bless his soul) have ambushed the food for his soldies when it was Red Cross, Caritas, medicines san frontiers and WIC were bringing in the food and drugs and WOULD EQUALLY SHARE IT TO PEOPLE IN THEIR CAMPS BY THEMSELVES? Now i know that Awuruwu is not only a coward but also a pathological lier, he is forever cursed by the blood of millions that died of starvation!
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
Mr Everest: why do you people lie with so much ease and yet lack sense? How could Ojukwu(God bless his soul) have ambushed the food for his soldies when it was Red Cross, Caritas, medicines san frontiers and WIC were bringing in the food and drugs and WOULD EQUALLY SHARE IT TO PEOPLE IN THEIR CAMPS BY THEMSELVES? Now i know that Awuruwu is not only a coward but also a pathological lier, he is forever cursed by the blood of millions that died of starvation!

Well as long as your cursing is meant for that one in bold...you are safe. grin

I think you folks are the accursed....or how else can we explain that until you leave your land and come to the lands you loathe so much, you can never make it Mega in life?
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by nwzaion: 2:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
While ‘They’ Think They Are Making Nigeria Ungovernable: FG secures N4.89trn investment commitmentsBreaking News: Bankole, Nafada have no case to answer – Court »
Yorubas are the Problem with Nigeria – By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi
Via Elombah.com. Wed, 05/27/2009 – 11:01

By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the Prospective Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria

In sum, the Yoruba political leadership, as mentioned by Balarabe Musa, has shown itself over the years to be incapable of rising above narrow tribal interests and reciprocating goodwill from other sections of the country by treating other groups with respect. Practically every crisis in Nigeria since independence has its roots in this attitude.

i. The Yoruba elite and area-boy politics;
ii. Igbo marginalisation and the responsible limits of retribution; and
iii. The Yoruba Factor and “Area-boy” Politics.

See also The Adulteress’ Diary by Lamido Sanusi

My views on the Yoruba political leadership have been thoroughly articulated in some of my writings, prime among which was ” Afenifere: Syllabus of Errors” published by This Day (The Sunday Newspaper) on Sept 27, 1998. There was also an earlier publication in the weekly Trust entitled ” The Igbo, the Yoruba and History” (Aug. 21, 1998).
In sum, the Yoruba political leadership, as mentioned by Balarabe Musa, has shown itself over the years to be incapable of rising above narrow tribal interests and reciprocating goodwill from other sections of the country by treating other groups with respect. Practically every crisis in Nigeria since independence has its roots in this attitude.
The Yoruba elite were the first, in 1962, to attempt a violent overthrow of an elected government in this country. In 1966, it was the violence in the West which provided an avenue for the putsch of 15th January. After Chief Awolowo lost to Shagari in 1983 elections, it was the discontent and bad publicity in the South-West which led to the Buhari intervention.
When Buhari jailed UPN governors like Ige and Onabanjo, the South-Western press castigated that good government and provided the right mood for IBB to take over power. As soon as IBB cleared UPN governors of charges against them in a politically motivated retrial, he became the darling of the South-West. When IBB annulled the primaries in which Adamu Ciroma and Shehu Yar Adua emerged as presidential candidates in the NRC and SDP, he was hailed by the South-West. When the same man annulled the June 12, 1993 elections in which Abiola was the front-runner, the South-West now became defenders of democracy.

When it seemed Sani Abacha was sympathetic to Abiola, the South-West supported his take-over. He was in fact invited by a prominent NADECO member to take over in a published letter shortly before the event. Even though Abiola had won the elections in the North, the North was blamed for its annulment. When Abdulsalam Abubakar started his transition, the Yoruba political leadership through NADECO presented a memorandum on a Government of National Unity that showed complete disrespect for the intelligence and liberties of other Nigerians.
Subsequently, they formed a tribal party which failed to meet minimum requirements for registration, but was registered all the same to avoid the violence that was bound to follow non-registration, given the area-boy mentality of South-West politicians. Having rejected an Obasanjo candidacy and challenged the election as a fraud in court, we now find a leading member of the AD in the government, a daughter of an Afenifere leader as Minister of State, and Awolowo´s daughter as Ambassador, all appointed by a man who won the election through fraud.

Meanwhile, nothing has been negotiated for the children of Abiola, the focus of Yoruba political activity. In return for these favours, the AD solidly voted for Evan Enwerem as Senate President. This is a man who participated in the two-million- man March for Abacha´s self-succession. He also is reputed to have hosted a meeting of governors during IBB´s transition, demanding that June 12 elections should never be de-annulled and threatening that the East would go to war if this was done. When Ibrahim Salisu Buhari was accused of swearing to a false affidavit, the Yoruba political elite correctly took up the gauntlet for his resignation.

When an AD governor, Bola Tinubu, swears to a false affidavit that he attended an Ivy League University which he did not attend, we hear excuses.

For so many years, the Yoruba have inundated this country with stories of being marginalised and of a civil service dominated by northerners through quota system. The Federal Character Commission has recently released a report which shows that the South-West accounts for 27.8% of civil servants in the range GL08 to GL14 and a full 29.5% of GL 15 and above. One zone out of six zones controls a full 30% of the civil service leaving the other five zones to share the remaining 70%. We find the same story in the economy, in academia, in parastatals.

Yet in spite of being so dominant, the Yoruba complained and complained of marginalization. Of recent, in recognition of the trauma which hit the South-West after June 12, the rest of the country forced everyone out of the race to ensure that a South-Westerner emerged, often against the best advice of political activists.

Instead of leading a path of reconciliation and strong appreciation, the Yoruba have embarked on short-sighted triumphalism, threatening other “nationalities” that they ( who after all lost the election) will protect Obasanjo ( who was forced on them). No less a person than Bola Ige has made such utterances.

To further show that they were in charge, they led a cult into the Hausa area of Sagamu, murdered a Hausa woman and nothing happened. In the violence that followed, they killed several Hausa residents, with Yoruba leaders like Segun Osoba, reminding Nigerians of the need to respect the culture of their host communities. This would have continued were it not for the people of Kano who showed that they could also create their own Oro who would only be appeased through the shedding of innocent Yoruba blood.

I say all this, to support Balarabe Musa´s statement, that the greatest problem to nation-building in Nigeria are the Yoruba Bourgeoisie. I say this also to underscore my point that until they change this attitude, no conference can solve the problems of Nigeria. We cannot move forward if the leadership of one of the largest ethnic groups continues to operate, not like statesmen, but like common area boys.

iii.The Igbo Factor and the Reasonable Limits of Retribution.

The Igbo people of Nigeria have made a mark in the history of this nation. They led the first successful military coup which eliminated the Military and Political leaders of other regions while letting off Igbo leaders. Nwafor Orizu, then Senate President, in consultation with President Azikiwe, subverted the constitution and handed over power to Aguiyi-Ironsi. Subsequent developments, including attempts at humiliating other peoples, led to the counter-coup and later the civil war. The Igbos themselves must acknowledge that they have a large part of the blame for shattering the unity of this country.

Having said that, this nation must realise that Igbos have more than paid for their foolishness. They have been defeated in war, rendered paupers by monetary policy fiat, their properties declared abandoned and confiscated, kept out of strategic public sector appointments and deprived of public services. The rest of the country forced them to remain in Nigeria and has continued to deny them equity.

The Northern Bourgeoisie and the Yoruba Bourgeoisie have conspired to keep the Igbo out of the scheme of things. In the recent transition when the Igbo solidly supported the PDP in the hope of an Ekwueme presidency, the North and South-West treated this as a Biafra agenda. Every rule set for the primaries, every gentleman´s agreement was set aside to ensure that Obasanjo, not Ekwueme emerged as the candidate. Things went as far as getting the Federal Government to hurriedly gazette a pardon. Now, with this government, the marginalistion of the Igbo is more complete than ever before. The Igbos have taken all these quietly because, they reason, they brought it upon themselves. But the nation is sitting on a time-bomb.

After the First World War, the victors treated Germany with the same contempt Nigeria is treating Igbos. Two decades later, there was a Second World War, far costlier than the first. Germany was again defeated, but this time, they won a more honourable peace. Our present political leaders have no sense of History. There is a new Igbo man, who was not born in 1966 and neither knows nor cares about Nzeogwu and Ojukwu. There are Igbo men on the street who were never Biafrans. They were born Nigerians, are Nigerians, but suffer because of actions of earlier generations. They will soon decide that it is better to fight their own war, and may be find an honourable peace, than to remain in this contemptible state in perpetuity.

The Northern Bourgeoisie and the Yoruba Bourgeoisie have exacted their pound of flesh from the Igbos. For one Sardauna, one Tafawa Balewa, one Akintola and one Okotie-Eboh, hundreds of thousands have died and suffered.

If this issue is not addressed immediately, no conference will solve Nigeria´s problems.

By Sanusi Lamido SanusiBeing Excerpts from A Paper Presented At The “National Conference On The 1999 Constitution” Jointly Organised By The Network For Justice And The Vision Trust Foundation, At The Arewa House, Kaduna From 11th –12th September, 1999.

Read the full essay here:

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/Essays/BalaUsman/Sanusi_Restruct uring.html

See also The Adulteress’ Diary by Lamido Sanusi
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by odumorun1: 6:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
How could Awolowo have taken the west out of the federation when he had no political control in the region at the time. Ojukwu could secede because he held political control in the east during the crisis He controlled the civil service,the police,judiciary and the treasury in his region -allthe levers of politicalpower without which the best and most honorable political plans amount to little less than political masturbation. Awolowo controlled nothing and nobody beyond his personal compound. The west was leaderless because it's Governor,Ojukwus equivalent in the west, Lt. Col A|dekunle Fajuyi, had been killed in the July Counter coup (as it turned out protecting the Igbo head of state Maj Gen Aguyi Ironsi) that sparked the progroms which led to the civil war. If Ojukwu had been killed in that coup, as he could conceiveably been have, would Awolowo's political equivalent in the east, the equally popular and equally powerless Nnamdi Azikwe have been able to take the east out of the federatiobn. If Ojukwu had been killed in the July counter Coup and a Pro - Oligarchy Igbo officer (and lets not fool ourselves that if Ojukwu had been killed along with Ironsi and Fajuyi, there would not have been a queue of igbo officers willing to take his place and do the North's bidding) If Ojukwu had been killed in the July 1966 bloodfest,there would have been no secession. Fact

True Awolowo displayed his opportunism when he joined the federal cabinet to prosecute its war of aggression against Biafra, however he was only displaying a trait quite common to pioliticians of his age and era. Let's not forget that the Igbo political class had shown a similar shamelessness and lack of principle when they remained in alliance with the Northern Leadership in the NPC in 1963 even as they imposed using state power the hated Akintola on the region throwing the west into chaos. Ibo leaders also looked the other way when the fuedal establsihment imposed on the country by the British framed and Jailed Awolowo and other yoruba political leaders decapitating the wests political leadership and allowing the internal occupation of Yoruba land by the North's placemen . At independence the Ibo political class spurned Awo's offer of a progressive alliance between the Southern nationalists who had fought for independence to contest power at the centre and prevent the British puppets in the North who had fouught against independence from reaping the rewards from it.Azikiwe and Okpara refused and entered into alliance with their enemies in the NPC and helped prevent a progressive government in Nigeria at its birth,allowing state power to fall into the hands ofthe country's most retrogade and retrogressive section with devasting future consequences for the country in general and the igbos in particular. If the NCNC and AG had won poweratthe centrein 1960,there wouldhave benn no coup in 1966 and the north would not have been able to frustrate the country's democratic evolution since they would not have been in aposition todominate the army by overidding merit

The Northern Monster that devoured the Igbo from 1966 - 70 was fed,indulged and feted by the igbo leadership for half a decade before it turned on its people. They have nobody else to blamea butthemselves

As for the civil war itself, It was Ojukwu's hair brained plan to invade the west in 1967 that brought the Yorubas to the Side of the North,not Awolowo's undoubted opportunism.

If igbo soldiers had occupied Lagos,they would never have left - why leave the richest part of the country when it had fallen into your hands. The world does not work that way. The yoruba people wouldhave traded aNorthern ocupation for an eastern one with the addedd disadvantage of adestructive waron their land for the purpose of exchanghing one oppression for the other.The choice forthe yorubas was Hausa occupation with no destruction oribo occupation with destruction - a No brainer The Biafran invasion of the west was an act of crass stupidity, that succeeded in throwing the yoruba people behind a faltering federal war effort and lost the east the war. It was a strategic blunder of the Biafran high command, a blunder of the highest order

The notoriously indecisive Ibo political leadership, historically the most inept and least strategically astute in the country with an unparralled record of defeat and failure largely obscured by its almost neurotic penchant to indulge in endless self pity was solely responsioble for the Biafran defeat. You do not appeal to the sympathy of other regions by invading their terriotry. The Biafran war was not lost in Enugu,Port harcourt or the bloody battles in Owerri. It was lost in the early days when the first Biafran shelll landed in Ore. Ojukwu clearly did not take his tactical lessons in Sandhurst very seriously if he had he wouldnot have attcked the west to fight the north, because by doing so he ended up uniting 2regions against one. But then although brilliant in business Political strategy has never been the strong point of the politically promiscous but incapable Ibo elite

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by sneedpahpaz(m): 8:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
τ̅☺ all d peeps giving their opinions on dis thread,here's a question 4 y'all........wat tribe is d 1st coup plotter in naija from? I rest my case.
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 09, 2012
stannydon: She should go to hell, Who does not know that Awolowo and the Yourbas Instigated Nigerian/Biafran Civil War

It seems u stayed in the SHOP all through your miserable Life.....Go to school my friend and read!!

When u go to school u would know that ''Yoruba didn't instigate Biafra''
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 09, 2012
stannydon: She should go to hell, Who does not know that Awolowo and the Yourbas Instigated Nigerian/Biafran Civil War

It seems u stayed in the SHOP all through your miserable Life.....Go to school my friend and read!!

When u go to school u would know that ''Yoruba didn't instigate Biafra'' Old fool!!!!! Oloshi!!!!
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
kettykin: If all is really fair in War how come Almustapha and other Abacha Hit men are being held for killing MKO Abiola's wife and other NADECO chieftains who breached the constitution of Nigeria by declaring MKO the winner of an inconclusive election, a highly treasonable crime.

Is Abacha/MKO/NADECO/Kudirat MKO a ''WAR''..............

Guy,Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary is hereby recommended for You......SMH and spit !!!!! Ode
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 09, 2012
kettykin:

is this what ur brain can deduce from all the story of Awolowo u quoted ?

Mehnn......ur brain is quite ''DARK''
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by whitecat007: 5:18am On Oct 10, 2012
I'm not a coward like you. My other Ids are Epalos and goddess12 and i have not used them ever since i got whitecat007.
Real-Mccoy:

Honestly, already?? your probably the same troll that makes all those other ridiculous accounts. Its pretty pathetic how much time you have spent making emails accounts to follow yourself and "like" what ever garbage you said....lol
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by dayokanu(m): 5:22am On Oct 10, 2012
I am surprised anyone would be disappointed at Igbos? That must mean you expect something from them
Re: Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed by whitecat007: 6:14am On Oct 10, 2012
This is exact tone we Yoruba need to get these bullies off our backs. thank heavens most of us know that bullies must be punched in between eyes.
Yoruba home and abroad, its your call, either we allow ibos to walk all over us or we put them in their place.
ilugunboy: Well we did it....!!! we starved Igbos.......we will deploy the strategy again if there is ever any reason for it.

We accept we did it...but weren't gonna apologize for it. cool cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

ARMOURED HELICOPTERS : GOVERNOR WIKE REVEALS THAT RSG HANDED THEM OVER TO NAF / You Are A Bloody Liar!! Nigerians Blasts Reno Omokri Over Tinubu's "Igbo Tape" / Buhari Makes An APC Chieftain Laugh Out Loud (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.