Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1209399 members, 1563134 topics. Date: Thursday, 24 July 2014 at 03:39 PM

NL Monthly Political Debate - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Monthly Political Debate (22696 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Caught Cheating In Anambra Political Debate. / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Gov Orji Walks Out Of Political Debate!can It Affect His Election? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 3:29pm On Dec 07, 2012
I still believe we can pull this off.

Can we have 2 voluntary nominees for each side of the debate who are ready to marshal their points civilly?

No insults, present facts why you think or don't think there is deliberate attempt to sideline Igbo race in the scheme of things in Nigeria.

This is a topic that I am also interested in, willing to hear views from each side.

There would be no judges for obvious reasons. We wont declare winner, we will leave audience to reach personal conclusion based on which of the sides of the arguments they consider superior.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Afam4eva(m): 3:32pm On Dec 07, 2012
When is the debate holding? I want to know if i will be available to debate in favour.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by coogar: 3:36pm On Dec 07, 2012
Jarus: I still believe we can pull this off.

Can we have 2 voluntary nominees for each side of the debate who are ready to marshal their points civilly?

No insults, present facts why you think or don't think there is deliberate attempt to sideline Igbo race in the scheme of things in Nigeria.

This is a topic that I am also interested in, willing to hear views from each side.

There would be no judges for obvious reasons. We wont declare winner, we will leave audience to reach personal conclusion based on which of the sides of the arguments they consider superior.

no we cannot.....
any opportunity to use the word "Yoruba" should be discouraged on this forum.
however, if you guys manage to pull this off, i want to argue for biafra......
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 4:08pm On Dec 07, 2012
coogar:

no we cannot.....
any opportunity to use the word "Yoruba" should be discouraged on this forum.
however, if you guys manage to pull this off, i want to argue for biafra......

And why would anyone want to use the word Yoruba in an academic debate?

There's nofin wrong in arguing for Biafra when the time comes. This is democracy, everyone has freedom of speech provided it does not infringe the freedom of others
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DeepSight(m): 4:49pm On Dec 07, 2012
Obinoscopy:

There's nofin wrong in arguing for Biafra when the time comes. This is democracy, everyone has freedom of speech provided it does not infringe the freedom of others

I dont see anything "academic" about the topic. Its simply an ethnically inclined emotional issue for sentimental people to rant on. Only ten years after the civil war an Igbo man was Vice-President of this country. In succeeding military regimes Igbo Officers have been in the Various Armed Forces Ruling Councils and have been Military Administartors of states all over Nigeria including Lagos. There have been a horde of Igbo ministers and Senate Presidents. In the private sector, don't even go there, the Igbo are massively all over the place. Names like Tony Elumelu and Jim Ovia don't sound Hausa or Yoruba to me. We have just had an Igbo CBN governor and still have an Igbo Minister of Finance who is de facto prime minister in the current government. I guess the presidency is all that's left: it will happen one day or the other for the Igbo, just as it did for my Niger-Delta peeps. There is no need to whine over this issue, much less dedicate a whole debate to it. There is nothing to be debated in my opinion.

It's a complete non-starter for the simple reason that there is nothing in the matter for one to invest any intellect on.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by coogar: 4:54pm On Dec 07, 2012
Obinoscopy:

why would anyone use the word in any capacity at all? you see....people still use it to denigrate the other tribe.
this idea should be squashed. there are more pressing issues we can debate on....the topic is too sensitive for now. this would have been possible 4-5 yrs ago when there were more sane people on the forum.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 5:34pm On Dec 07, 2012
Deep Sight:

I dont see anything "academic" about the topic. Its simply an ethnically inclined emotional issue for sentimental people to rant on. Only ten years after the civil war an Igbo man was Vice-President of this country. In succeeding military regimes Igbo Officers have been in the Various Armed Forces Ruling Councils and have been Military Administartors of states all over Nigeria including Lagos. There have been a horde of Igbo ministers and Senate Presidents. In the private sector, don't even go there, the Igbo are massively all over the place. Names like Tony Elumelu and Jim Ovia don't sound Hausa or Yoruba to me. We have just had an Igbo CBN governor and still have an Igbo Minister of Finance who is de facto prime minister in the current government. I guess the presidency is all that's left: it will happen one day or the other for the Igbo, just as it did for my Niger-Delta peeps. There is no need to whine over this issue, much less dedicate a whole debate to it. There is nothing to be debated in my opinion.

It's a complete non-starter for the simple reason that there is nothing in the matter for one to invest any intellect on.

You've just provided us with points AGAINST the motion without recourse to the use of abusive or denigrating words. You've just kick started the debate before it even began cheesy
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 6:50pm On Dec 07, 2012
We are having a go at the topic.

I believe we can raise the topic beyond the bashfest and intellectualize it.

We will set out the rules and strictly enforce them.

It's going to be a dialogue, not a judged debate.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 3:14pm On Dec 08, 2012
I don't see how you can sponsor discussion on this topic and expect to manage temperaments, particularly that the pogrom and war will be the sentiment on the ibo side. They will clearly give a biased view of the cause while they hype the outcome of the effect and which the non-ibos will not accept without a heated response.

Deep sight made a very good point and I think his input clearly wraps this up. If we talk of political appointments in Nigeria, Ibo has benefited, before and after the war, more than any other Southerner. Read Deepsights post and reflect on it.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 5:13pm On Dec 08, 2012
@Negro, I'm afraid quite a few NLers do not share your view, despite your analysis. Those people should be given the opportunity to present their position.

Those who do not think the issue is worth debating need not participate or visit the debate thread.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 5:34pm On Dec 08, 2012
ndu_chucks: @Negro, I'm afraid quite a few NLers do not share your view, despite your analysis. Those people should be given the opportunity to present their position.

Those who do not think the issue is worth debating need not participate or visit the debate thread.

lol...im beginning to think ndu_chucks and katsumoto are one and the same person. There is no one here on nl that stokes the ember and generate controversy more than these two. grin

ndu_chucks, my views are never popular but undoubtedly they resonate with truth. I sincerely believe that if we must sponsor a discussion to hear the grievance of a disenfranchised people we ought to hear the ogoni story and their demise, not ibo.

We have heard ndigbo voice and their vent and grievances numerous times. Very recently we heard it from their best and most revered literary giant and the message has not changed. What ndigbo need is healing, not more venting of anger and displeasure. How can they heal and what do they need to heal? It seems to be that those who have popular views such as yourself hold it to be true that an Ibo in Presidency of Nigeria will heal their injured spirit. I disagree.

....next time you address me and dont put Chief I will instigate your deportation from Lekki island. cheesy
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by kofoshi: 5:36pm On Dec 08, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

lol...im beginning to think ndu_chucks and katsumoto are one and the same person. There is no one here on nl that stokes the ember and generate controversy more than these two. grin

ndu_chucks, my views are never popular but undoubtedly they resonate with truth. I sincerely believe that if we must sponsor a discussion to hear the grievance of a disenfranchised people we ought to hear the ogoni story and their demise, not ibo.

We have heard ndigbo voice and their vent and grievances numerous times. Very recently we heard it from their best and most revered literary giant and the message has not changed. What ndigbo need is healing, not more venting of anger and displeasure. How can they heal and what do they need to heal? It seems to be that those who have popular views such as yourself hold it to be true that an Ibo in Presidency of Nigeria will heal their injured spirit. I disagree.

....next time you address me and dont put Chief I will instigate your deportation from Lekki island. cheesy

That is an insult on the person of Katsumoto. angry
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 5:36pm On Dec 08, 2012
Well spoken Ndu_chuks. I believe the success of the dialogue will hinge on the intellectualism of the debaters and the strictness of the moderators.

On the foregoing, I recommend that intellectuals who are known for their matured posts here in the politics section be selected for the debate/dialogue. Also the mods (Jarus & OAM4J) need to be actively involved. Jarus will coodinate the dialogue while OAM4J will moderate the thread actively (hiding posts, banning of rule offenders). Jarus will also assist in moderating esp when its time to lock the thread.

Strict rules need to be set up and strictly adhered upon. I believe this debate can be a success. These are just my humble opinion anyway.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 5:52pm On Dec 08, 2012
Obinoscopy: Well spoken Ndu_chuks. I believe the success of the dialogue will hinge on the intellectualism of the debaters and the strictness of the moderators.

On the foregoing, I recommend that intellectuals who are known for their matured posts here in the politics section be selected for the debate/dialogue. Also the mods (Jarus & OAM4J) need to be actively involved. Jarus will coodinate the dialogue while OAM4J will moderate the thread actively (hiding posts, banning of rule offenders). Jarus will also assist in moderating esp when its time to lock the thread.

Strict rules need to be set up and strictly adhered upon. I believe this debate can be a success. These are just my humble opinion anyway.

Obinoscopy,

I think you meant that it should be restricted to "civil" interaction and engagement. Your use of "intellectualism" in this reference is misplaced. The issue is one tha touches the spirit and the human of ndigbo......what you are recommending is precisely what must be avoided.

You need people with warmth and feelings to engage....people who are passionate and emotive, not people who will contribute coldly and insensitively to the issues.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2012
kofoshi:

...oh i know im gonna catch hell with that one when katz show up. grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 6:12pm On Dec 08, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Obinoscopy,

I think you meant that it should be restricted to "civil" interaction and engagement. Your use of "intellectualism" in this reference is misplaced. The issue is one tha touches the spirit and the human of ndigbo......what you are recommending is precisely what must be avoided.

You need people with warmth and feelings to engage....people who are passionate and emotive, not people who will contribute coldly and insensitively to the issues.

I never suggested that participants should be cold and insensitive. I only said participants shld present there case with valid points and facts, that is where intellectualism comes in. For instance take a look at Deep Sights argument AGAINST the motion in this thread, you'll see intellectualism and clarity of points and facts. I believe participants FOR the motion can do same.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 6:26pm On Dec 08, 2012
kofoshi:

I bu onye JJC? Egbe ndi Olumo piafuka gi isi. Ewu can beer.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 1:28am On Dec 09, 2012
I hope we choose a different approach on this ibo issue. Rather than a platform for venting and charging false accusations against others we ought to discuss the greatest challenge facing ndigbo, viz...resettlement and development of their homeland.

I dont care how much you ban me I refuse to sitby and listen to some ingrates throw insults and accusatiins at Awolowo and we know it will get to that point., sooner or later. Its goig to be ugly in here the moment Awo is insulted.

In anycase, if you insist on going ahead with this discussion, then Im speaking and acting on behalf of ndigbo interest. Many of them here will attest to my advocate and interet in three of the most pressing issues facingteir land.

1. reintegratiin of osu
2. rebranding of igbo natiin
3. sharing of goodwill and awareness on national poliics.

Let me know what date to present.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2012
Look what I found in the profile of the user Kofoshi who attacked me out of the blue a few posts ago:

Time registered: August 08, 2011
Time spent online: 19 hours & 22 minutes

oro omo yen ti su mi

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by ak47mann(m): 4:29pm On Dec 09, 2012
will this make a difference? cool to igbo peps
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by ShedrackOnos(m): 10:11pm On Dec 09, 2012
when is the next debate coming up?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by ShedrackOnos(m): 10:14pm On Dec 09, 2012
AM READY.Lets begin

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by ujchief(m): 7:33pm On Dec 11, 2012
Jarus: We are having a go at the topic.

I believe we can raise the topic beyond the bashfest and intellectualize it.

We will set out the rules and strictly enforce them.

It's going to be a dialogue, not a judged debate.
finally, u're about to squeeze the life out of the only exercise that makes sence in Nl.
So u've run out of civil topics that u're willing to start a debate/discussion that is going to dig out all the hatred and events of the past? We all know where this is heading to. It will be funy stiring the bees hive and not expect a sting.
I'll be waiting at the debate thread to see just how 'civil' this discussing will be.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by berem(f): 11:38pm On Dec 11, 2012
Lord not again ! debate ? I don't know why i hate debate. errrm make I see whether i go try sha. damn! i need to make some research.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by OgbuefiNegro: 5:30am On Dec 12, 2012
Negro is ready to advocate the igbo issue when called upon to speak. cool
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 7:38am On Dec 12, 2012
Ogbuefi_Negro: Negro is ready to advocate the igbo issue when called upon to speak. cool

Ogbuefi Negro u look kinda familiar, have we met b4? grin

What happened to ur original handle: Chief Negro_Ntns?

Had to include the Chief title to prevent incurring the wrath of the gods grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by OgbuefiNegro: 3:12pm On Dec 12, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Ogbuefi Negro u look kinda familiar, have we met b4? grin

What happened to ur original handle: Chief Negro_Ntns?

Had to include the Chief title to prevent incurring the wrath of the gods grin

lmao, you speak correct! my brother, i tire for nl o. Moderators don ban the Chief and they did not give reason. Na this same kin atittude and culture we dey witness in society where elected officials throw people in jail without process. Anyho, Chief dey exile as we speak. grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by OgbuefiNegro: 3:27pm On Dec 12, 2012
quote author=Jarus]
Banned in Politics for Ethnic Insults. Ban expires on 9:20am today[/quote]

...see me see wahala. angry which one is ethnic insult, wetin be dat?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by ujchief(m): 6:52pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ogbuefi_Negro: quote author=Jarus]
Banned in Politics for Ethnic Insults. Ban expires on 9:20am today

...see me see wahala. angry which one is ethnic insult, wetin be dat?
dont mind him. We all know the people at the recieving end of his bans. Selective judgement at its best!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by olawalebabs(m): 6:05am On Dec 20, 2012
Is that topic still up for this month edition?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 5:30pm On Dec 21, 2012
Topic please. Saturday, December 29 is it.

Debaters/discussants and topic up for suggestion. The Igbo topic has been discarded.

(0) (1) (2) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (36) (Reply)

Amaechi, Others Float New Party / Bill Gates Visits Fashola. PICS.... / How Alamieyeseigha And Silva Looted Bayelsa Treasury?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.