Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,687 members, 7,801,983 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide (1231 Views)

Abacha, Ojukwu And Gowon In A Private Jet (Throwback Photo) / Ojukwu And Gowon Eating Together At Aburu,ghana 1967 - Photo / Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by chucky234(m): 1:21pm On Oct 08, 2012
…Says his coming book will lend
credence to Achebe
A participant and apparent living
encyclopedia of the events that led to
the fratricidal civil war in Nigeria
between 1967 and 1970, Col Joe
Achuzia (Air raid), has joined issues
with critics of celebrated novelist, Prof.
Chinua Achebe, who in his latest work:
“There was a country,” blamed former
Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon
(retd), and the Yoruba political leader
and Vice Chairman of the then National Executive Council, the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, of formulating policies that led to the horrendous genocide against the Igbos of Eastern Nigeria.
Achuzia yesterday told Daily Sun that
Gowon and Awolowo were responsible
for the genocide, while dismissing
critics of Achebe.
Pointedly, he accused Gowon of playing the ostrich while brazen murders of his military superiors and massive genocide were being perpetrated under his watch.
He also accused Awolowo of using his
position after his release from prison to extract a pound of flesh from his
perceived enemies, whom he believed,unwittingly, through the NPC/NCNC Accord (Northern Peoples Congress/National Council of Nigeria Citizens) contributed to his imprisonment.
Achuzia, who is putting finishing
touches to his own civil war memoirs,
said that when released, it would finally settle the issue and put the duo in vintage position as prime perpetrators of the genocide of more than three million Easterners, who were said to have died during the strife.
He went down memory lane to exhume salient facts to buttress Achebe’s stand: “I landed in the country from overseas on the day of the July 29 coup. I had known the late Murtala Mohammed and knew he was one of those involved in the crises at the time.
He met me at the Murtala Mohammed
Airport, Lagos and arranged
accommodation for my family and me
for two days before we departed for
Benin.
“There was intense struggle for power
between Murtala Mohammed and
Gowon before and during the Coup.
The middle belt, which had more
numerical strength in the army,
supported Gowon.”
He continues, “When Gowon took over,he relied more on Awolowo and the permanent secretaries – Allison Ayinda,Phillip Asiodu, in formulating policies.
Immediately Awo was released from
prison, which (late Dim Chukwuemeka
Odumegwu) Ojukwu was instrumental
to, thinking he had a friend, strong
anti-Igbo sentiments welled up in the
government. Unfortunately Awo never
forgives nor forgets.
“The events that led him to prison were never lost on him and, somehow, the NPC/NCNC accord was the issue. He became the minister of finance and went after the Igbos through his policies. I was in prison when Gowon held the so-called security meeting that declared police action. The strategic studies institute was originally planned to be located in the Mid-West then.
Gowon, at the meeting, directed that I
should be released from prison and
head the institute. The then head of
prisons, Giwa Osagie, divulged the
information to the late Anthony
Enahoro and Awo. He suggested that
instead of sitting down in a house for
the discussion, since walls have ears,
they should drive about and talk in the car, so that his secrets would be
secured. He forgot that the driver of the car was an Igbo man, who later ran to the superintendent of prisons at Kirikiri and squealed.
“The prisons superintendent
summoned me and asked the driver to narrate his story again. Thereafter, I demanded to see Barrister Okuzo and the late Chief Collins Obih of ACB
(African Continental Bank). They came
in the morning to see me and I
narrated what I heard to them. Later,
they reached out to the military
hierarchy, including Gowon. Four days
after the incident, Osagie was sacked
and it caused a lot of commotion. That was in 1970.
“Achebe got to know about these and
he reflected them in his new book.
These two people were responsible for
the formulation of policies and
execution of the civil war, including the genocide. When I release my own book, which is in the making, many things will come to the fore. I remember that after the declaration of police action by Gowon, I urged those who used their position to unleash horror and death on innocent people, before and during the civil war, advising those that are still alive among them, to seek for forgiveness and atonement of their sins against humanity.”
LINK:
www.sunnewsonline.com/new/national/gowon-awo-behind-genocide-col-achuzia/
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by okosodo: 2:17pm On Oct 08, 2012
The ibos have been treated unfairly and that is why nigeria is failed up till now

1 Like

Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by Ngodigha1(m): 2:41pm On Oct 08, 2012
okosodo: The ibos have been treated unfairly and that is why nigeria is failed up till now
Why not type Igbo.
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by Callotti: 3:22pm On Oct 08, 2012
So. . .of what use is this information now?
What do we do with it?
This is just like discovering who 'DEEPTHROAT' was in the 21st century.
TOTALLY HOPELESS INFORMATION. kiss
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by chucky234(m): 4:08pm On Oct 08, 2012
Callotti: So. . .of what use is this information now?
What do we do with it?
To dig Awo up from the grave and give him some lashes I guess
lol
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by okosodo: 4:41pm On Oct 08, 2012
chucky234: To dig Awo up from the grave and give him some lashes I guess
lol
you are too harsh, let his family apologize for him on his behalf, otherwise there will be no peace where he is(heaven or hell)
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by Dede1(m): 5:05pm On Oct 08, 2012
Callotti: So. . .of what use is this information now?
What do we do with it?

It is of no use according to moronic you, yet your dirty and dilapidated body joined the debate, olodo.
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by Callotti: 9:37pm On Oct 08, 2012
Dede1:

It is of no use according to moronic you, yet your dirty and dilapidated body joined the debate, olodo.

Moo moo! This dirty and dilapidated barrry belongs to an IGBO man. . . .
GET YOURS!. . . . .and stop stalking it all over NL. You are not qualified.
Onye WA-WA Buffalo SOJA! cheesy
When last did any NL Mgbeke suck those your rotten balls?
BIAFRAN BASSTURD!. . . .aka 'o give me a home, where the buffalos roam'! cheesy

May you and you people remain 'Israelite-s' who died without seeing the promised-land aka Biafra. . . even with their dead and rotten 'MOSES' aka Ojukwu! kiss
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by cjrane: 5:06am On Oct 14, 2012
All the witnesses have indicted the criminal role and complicity of Awolowo in committing crimes against humanity in that conflict, except the Awoists still living in denial.
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by Callotti: 5:12am On Oct 14, 2012
Stale news.
Who is now behind the modern-day genocide in Eastern Nigeria?
Ritualism/drug-trafficking or Awo/Gowon? kiss
Abeg, make we hia word. . . all these 'redundant', geri-kids seeking some useless form of relevance with their 'Mgbeke-Okoro-Ikeji' blog-fests!
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!
Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by ochukoccna: 3:15pm On Oct 14, 2012
1] You must wonder why Joe Achuzia and Chinua Achebe did not tar Awolowo with the tar brush of 'genocide' when he was alive? undecided undecided
I mean he was alive to refute or admit to it then even though his memoirs are replete with his stand on it lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Why wait when he's long dead and buried to exhume this serious allegation? angry angry
Is it to sell their books? shocked shocked shocked
2] How come the Igbos have always aligned with the Hausa/Fulani& conservative political parties [those who instigated their 'genocide'] in politics since the onset of the 2nd Republic? I mean always voting for those who killed your people? embarassed embarassed
Did the same Igbos who have always effused with love for Ojukwu denied him representation in the Senate? grin grin
3] How come Igbos have not refuted the fact that the region of man whom they accuse of genocide was the only part of Nigeria where the horrors visited against their race [raping, looting, ethnic cleansing etal] was minimal if at all existent?
4] How come the Igbos are yet to refute the fact that the South West was the only part of the country they came back to lay hold of their properties and investments after the war? sad sad
5] How come the Igbos have NEVER taken Ojukwu& their war leaders to task that they led them into a war which was not well thought out, in which he lacked major allies [Russia's backing of Assad is why the Syrian crisis has no direct Western intervention till now], ammunition to prosecute it nor provision in nutrition, cash and kind? embarassed embarassed embarassed
6] How come Achebe [a civilian] is blaming Awolowo for the a$s whooping Biafra received? Late Ojukwu& Effiong should be the ones who should tackle Gowon and their ilk about such attrocities
7] Why is the Igbo man despite his business acumen ever brash, belligerent or is it bellicose?
Is it something in his genes or is it pride? shocked shocked shocked
Anyone who had spent time on NL or other online sites would not be shocked by Achebe's revisionism tongue tongue
Igbo ethnic online warriors have been at it for eons undecided undecided
After all, Achebe was an official Biafran propagandist during the war shocked shocked
So what do you expect 42 years after the war?
Any one seen his recent pictures, dude looks senile at best, so what ramblings do you expect from a man who should be in the sanatorium? shocked shocked cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide by 4chi: 5:02pm On Oct 14, 2012
So Joe achuzia is also writing a book on Biafra? Ha! Ha! Ol' Joe too wan chop money! I'm sure you also have a lot of tales out of Biafra to tell.shameless people, you hopelessly lost a war yet you run your mouth more than the victors. Achebe,I am sure deliberately inserted lies into his otherwise insipid book in order to boost his sales, after all ,everything in iboland NA BUSINESS. Shioor!

(1) (Reply)

Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara / Honeywell Flourmills Relocates To Ogun State From Lagos / T.a Orji Inspecting The New Main Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.