Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:54 PM

Nollywood Or Igbowood? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Or Igbowood? (17468 Views)

Which One Would You Rather Spend Hours Watching: Nollywood Or Bollywood? & Why? / Ije! Nollywood Or Hollywood ? / Nollywood Or Bollywood, Where Are The Most Beautiful Actresses ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Or Igbowood? by gfrong: 6:57pm On Jan 19, 2008
I think nollywood (not-hollywood) movies are downright fool of shit. I'm one soul amongst many you cannot catch wathing, rather, relaxing with a not-hollywood-igbowood movie. All they do is crap.
Is there a way the industry can improve? Ideas, anyone?
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by pheena: 1:44pm On Jan 25, 2008
this is so true.
the so called nollywood industry has been completely igbonised
artist are not used because of their talent but because of where they come from
every igbo trader wants to be a producer, the storylines are so rubbish
editting is zero, even spoken english is so igbotik that it is unbelievable
an average english film is shot in one of the eastern villages
if it is in english then why not use places that will promote the whole naija culture
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 25, 2008
Really Igbo wood, The muscular girls ith their bleached faces and strech marks, even the boys bleach. It gives me cramps
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by jagunlabi(m): 4:10pm On Jan 25, 2008
Maybe other ethnic groups should also produce their movies in english.They can cast their own ethnic folks in the lead roles,too.Things will balance themtselves out,then.
Not recommended,but since that is the trend,

My main concern is the lack of professionalism in nollywood,which is more pregnant than the problem of ethnic bias by casting.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Abuja1(m): 8:02pm On May 01, 2008
oh, ooo my friends, are you poeple jelouse or what,the igbos are doing a good job,or do we name it yoruibowood, any way which are wood you call it,that whon't stop them from acting smiley smiley smiley kiss
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 02, 2008
i agree majority of the pple in the movie industry in naija are igbo's but i smell jealousy, envy and hatred amongst u lot. guess what, if pple of other tribes including urselves dont challenge the so called 'muscular girls, ' so called igbotik actors and actresses', 'so called bleached out babes' , 'the so called untalented producers and directors' then shut ur gub. stay here express how shallow and tribalistic u all are. asswipes!

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Viante(f): 9:59pm On May 02, 2008
ha ha ha, so funny!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 1:02pm On May 03, 2008
aisha2:

Really Igbo wood, The muscular girls ith their bleached faces and strech marks, even the boys bleach. It gives me cramps

You're an ignorant!! show your picture, monkey! and let's see what you look like. bleached faces my ass!! igbo people do no bleach ignoramus!!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by grafikdon: 1:15pm On May 03, 2008
romeo:

You're an ignorant!! show your picture, monkey! and let's see what you look like. bleached faces my ass!! igbo people do no bleach ignoramus!!

You're wasting time with that ethnic bigot. She's the self acclaimed warrior daughter of Usuman Dan Fodio. Be very careful before she 'digs out' her guns, grin Almajiri anonymous with the sweet wind of change lipsrsealed
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 1:30pm On May 03, 2008
Na ballistic missile i go take send am back to her dungeon
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 2:42pm On May 04, 2008
the nollywood or igbowood movie industry are not big enough to operate in segments like they are doing now on the basis of their ethnicity,what i have against the igbo film industry is their failure to carry either the yoruba artise or hausa artise along,
the funny thing is that they complain about the yoruba film industry being full of illeterates but they are not doing better themselves,any igbo movie is all about the big chief,a couple of honda crv,land cruisers and hummers,a massive mansion and they have a movie sorted out,the key to the growth of nollywood is them working together i v seen patience ozokwor in a yoruba movie,grace amah,ejike asiegbu,rmd amongst others showing the yoruba scene are open to collabos
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Nnekie(f): 5:54pm On May 04, 2008
HATERS!
Get a life all y'all igbo haters. Carry who along? are you outta your mind, fine the industry is dominated by igbos, but there are other peeps doing well RMD, Ini Edo, Joke Silva and her hubby, Bimbo Akintola to name a few

As for bleaching, some of us are naturally fair skinned sweetie, its not our fault some of you peeps are so insecure that they bleach to feel among, that's just the way it is
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 6:04pm On May 04, 2008
lucabrasi:

tt,the key to the growth of nollywood is them working together i v seen patience ozokwor in a yoruba movie,grace amah,ejike asiegbu,rmd amongst others showing the yoruba scene are open to collabos

Out of all the garbage written by others so far, I agree with this.

I'm watching a Yoruba movie at the moment by Sayid Balogun titled "Mi Ose Kogba" and it has Caro Ekeme, Lilian Bach and Zach Oriji in it. Caro & Lillian actually act better in this than they do in most of their English film. It's amusing really.

My problem with "Nollywood" is that they try to be exclusive which isnt cool considering the fact that the "Nolly" stands for Nigeria, not just one tribe. In some "Nollwyoof" ovies, you have people from other tribes playing parts that were specifically written for a Yoruba person to play. How does that make sense. Am i to believe out of the 140 million Nigerians, they can't find one yOruba person to play that particular role? It's quite ridiculous.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by romeo(m): 8:32pm On May 04, 2008
D-reloaded:

I'm watching a Yoruba movie at the moment by Sayid Balogun titled "Mi Ose Kogba" and it has Caro Ekeme, Lilian Bach and Zach Oriji in it. Caro & Lillian actually act better in this than they do in most of their English film. It's amusing really.

My problem with "Nollywood" is that they try to be exclusive which isnt cool considering the fact that the "Nolly" stands for Nigeria, not just one tribe. In some "Nollwyoof" ovies, you have people from other tribes playing parts that were specifically written for a Yoruba person to play. How does that make sense. Am i to believe out of the 140 million Nigerians, they can't find one yOruba person to play that particular role? It's quite ridiculous.

adding more garbage!!

Nobody is holding any ethnic group from making their own "wood" .
Neither are the igbos giving out permition for movie production in Nigeria, you can make your own movie and call it nollywood and nobody will question you

Bunch of haters and jealous things!! cheesy
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 8:59pm On May 04, 2008
D-reloaded:

theres also the ethnic stereotype,where a yoruba girl/woman is stereotyped as being promiscous and will do anything for money in most of their movies,and the yoruba man is an illiterate landlord in lagos who only speaks with a thick accent and likes money.
romeo:

adding more garbage!!

Neither are the igbos giving out permition for movie production in Nigeria, you can make your own movie and call it nollywood and nobody will question you

of course nobody is holding anybody but what they are all after is the growth of the nigerian movie industry and it wont grow with that kind of attitude,we know the igbos run alaba market but they are not allowing a level playing field for other ethnicities,did u know that there are hausa movie artise but they are being stifled and not even given any chances,go to youtube and see the yoruba movie patience ozokwaor acted in,it had thousands of views and so many lovely comments,same as tony umez for us to grow as big as bollywood,only one ethnicity cannot do it thats a fact, imagine if one of these alaba multi-millionaire sponsored another shango, without any bias imagine how much they ll make?
nobody is hating all we r saying is erase the ethnic stereotype,leave a level playing field for all ethnic groups,and be united thats the only way to move foward

Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by lucabrasi(m): 9:08pm On May 04, 2008
Nnekie:

HATERS!
Get a life all y'all igbo haters. Carry who along? are you out of your mind, fine the industry is dominated by igbos, but there are other peeps doing well RMD, Ini Edo, Joke Silva and her hubby, Bimbo Akintola to name a few

As for bleaching, some of us are naturally fair skinned sweetie, its not our fault some of you peeps are so insecure that they bleach to feel among, that's just the way it is

ms na fight?im not a nollywood artise ,its just an opinion carrying the rest of the industry along will promote the nollywood industry as a whole,both the yorubas and the hausas have a lot to offer and all round the world the yoruba tradition reaches out more than any other religion,its in brazil,haiti,america,cuba,e.t.c so dyu realli think it shouldnt be harnessed and im speaking from a business point of view now,rmd is not yoruba and joke silva,her hubby,bimbo akintola all started with english movies but later branched out to forays in the yoruba industry and go back to their ibo movies, nobody is hating on ibo,why wud anyone when we all have a life
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 9:10pm On May 04, 2008
lucabrasi:

theres also the ethnic stereotype,where a yoruba girl/woman is stereotyped as being promiscous and will do anything for money in most of their movies,and the yoruba man is an illiterate landlord in lagos who only speaks with a thick accent and likes money. foward

Really I havent noticed. which ones did you see such and what else do they protry us as?

Then again the ones I've seen hardly have Yoruba people anyway cept for few with Olu Jacobs
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 9:15pm On May 04, 2008
romeo:

adding more garbage!!

Actually Hausas have the so called Kannywood which is the second largest in Naija after nollywood.
My best actor in nollywood is actually a Yorubaman.
Olu Jacobs.
That man is so polished and so eloquent.
Love him!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 9:17pm On May 04, 2008
LOL
TOH I didn't read your post before sending mine.
I love that Olu Jacobs.
We need more seasoned actors like him not clowns like Nkem Owoh (I love him though)
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 9:18pm On May 04, 2008
lucabrasi:

what they are all after is the growth of the nigerian movie industry and it wont grow with that kind of attitude,we know the igbos run alaba market but they are not allowing a level playing field for other ethnicities,did u know that there are hausa movie artise but they are being stifled and not even given any chances

Ehhm, luca, can You throw some light on how the Igbo marketers @ alaba (as u called it) stifles out movies from other ethnicities (your own words once again).
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 9:20pm On May 04, 2008
Nkem is no different from Baba Suwe. I dont really care for either.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 9:22pm On May 04, 2008
Uche2nna:

Ehhm, luca, can You throw some light on how the Igbo marketers @ alaba (as u called it) stifles out movies from other ethnicities (your own words once again).

are you "minding them"
Nolly wood evolved from strictly Igbo movies so naturally the movies will have Igbo settings for the traditional scenes.
Other Africans are even crazier about the movies than us.
Go to any Togolese or Gambian haidresser,you go watch am tire while they braid your hair
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 9:29pm On May 04, 2008
aisha2 wrote
this is so true.
the so called nollywood industry has been completely igbonised
artist are not used because of their talent but because of where they come from
every igbo trader wants to be a producer, the storylines are so rubbish
editting is zero, even spoken english is so igbotik that it is unbelievable
an average english film is shot in one of the eastern villages
if it is in english then why not use places that will promote the whole naija culture 

and later some street urchin will call me a tribalist.
You can go jump into The River Niger at the Asaba end and end your misery. tongue
Did you get chased out of an audition since they were looking for girls not female jackals tongue
Pele! kiss
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Uche2nna(m): 9:36pm On May 04, 2008
Nkem Owoh just won the award for the best lead actor for the year 2008 @ the AMAA awards. He could care less if u like him or not.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 10:18pm On May 04, 2008
Uche2nna:

Nkem Owoh just won the award for the best lead actor for the year 2008 @ the AMAA awards. He could care less if u like him or not.

You sound like a bloody slowpoke. I would expect such a daft response from a 12 yr old, not YOU, Uche. Pathetic.

Who gives a bloody damn if he won an award? Think I take those fake awards seriously? The hell do they know about good movies or actors which is why they'd bother giving that one anything.

It's MY opinion that I'm giving. I don't think he's that great an actor, if YOU have a problem with it, then go Bleep yourself while you are at it, He plays the same bloody roles more often than not. He's not better than those two midget rugrats they have in all those razz movies.

Where I live, we have freedom of speech. Btw It's "could NOT care less" Ok? Omo Ale lasan
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by sheniqua: 10:21pm On May 04, 2008
na wa o.
TOH, there are people who actually enjoy his humor.
I do
it's good Igbotic entertainment for me.
no need for name calling.

just like jim Carrey
I don't like him for instance but there are millions who find him entertaining and go to his movies.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 10:28pm On May 04, 2008
It doesnt matter, osisi Perhaps you should tell your brother to mind his business.

I personally have the RIGHT to say I don't like his acting and I WILL. Dont need some Down Syndome jackass telling me that I don't have the right because he was given some pity award. Like I give a shit.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 10:30pm On May 04, 2008
sheniqua:

just like jim Carrey
I don't like him for instance but there are millions who find him entertaining and go to his movies.

and you have the right to that. I wouldnt come from no where and say "well Jim Carrey is worth millions of dollars, I doubt he cares if you like him or not"
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by 4Him1(m): 10:40pm On May 04, 2008
Aisha2; northerners are forever complaining about everything from nollywood to the economy being monopolised by the south. What is YOUR contribution as a group to Nigeria?
Why cant you go and create your own hausawood?

Do something besides begging for once!
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Dreloaded(f): 10:45pm On May 04, 2008
There is a Kanywood actually.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Tonim(f): 10:50pm On May 04, 2008
The person that created this thread has achieved his/her objective.
Re: Nollywood Or Igbowood? by Cadet(f): 11:34pm On May 04, 2008
They're both boringwood! ~roll eye~

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"The Walking Dead" - Season 4 / Kate Henshaw Laughs Uncontrollably At A Contestant On Nigeria’s Got Talent / BBNaija: Saga, Nini's Relationship Might Be Fake – Pere

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55