Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,605 members, 7,770,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:57 AM

Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years (129969 Views)

Nestlé Golden Morn Too Much Sugar / This Is What I Saw On The Golden Penny Spaghetti / Nestlé Responds To Golden Morn Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Peterwins(m): 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2012
For parents with children under 3 years kindly reach for a pack of Golden Morn and confirm this info. If you do not have a pack within reach, kindly get to the nearest store or supermarket and check the age restriction. I find it hard to believe that such a sensitive info is not boldly written to alert unsuspecting parents.

Nestlé Responds: https://www.nairaland.com/1081282/nestlé-responds-golden-morn-discussion
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by JallowBah(f): 4:51pm On Oct 09, 2012
I dont trust Nestle much when it comes to anything. Make your own food in the morning, it takes just as much time.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nimi22(f): 4:57pm On Oct 09, 2012
@op i tried checking the info but i cant see where it is written. Pls can you help me with that?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Peterwins(m): 1:55pm On Oct 11, 2012
Nimi22: @op i tried checking the info but i cant see where it is written. Pls can you help me with that?
It's written at the back of the pack (for the small packs which I checked at a supermarket - Garki Supermarket Abuja) in white. They (Nestle) also specifically stated that Golden Morn IS NOT AN INFANT CEREAL. I will research (if I have the time) the negative effects of feeding children under 3 years with it. However parents should always be careful with what they feed their kids with. Check expiry dates, nutritional values, etc. I guess this should be on the front page to alert parents with kids under 3 years. Please spread the word and check your pack again. This isn't a rumour but a fact the manufacturers clearly stated. Thanks.

6 Likes

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by JallowBah(f): 2:29pm On Oct 11, 2012
Peterwins:
It's written at the back of the pack (for the small packs which I checked at a supermarket - Garki Supermarket Abuja) in white. They (Nestle) also specifically stated that Golden Morn IS NOT AN INFANT CEREAL. I will research (if I have the time) the negative effects of feeding children under 3 years with it. However parents should always be careful with what they feed their kids with. Check expiry dates, nutritional values, etc. I guess this should be on the front page to alert parents with kids under 3 years. Please spread the word and check your pack again. This isn't a rumour but a fact the manufacturers clearly stated. Thanks.

I dont understand why people dont just feed their kids the same food they are eating themself?

Up to the kid is about 1year, I can understand it. As a in-between-meals-smoothie etc, I can understand. But breakfast? Dinner? Evening?

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2012
Peterwins: For parents with children under 3 years kindly reach for a pack of Golden Morn and confirm this info. If you do not have a pack within reach, kindly get to the nearest store or supermarket and check the age restriction. I find it hard to believe that such a sensitive info is not boldly written to alert unsuspecting parents.

I really think Nestle could have done better with where they put that age thingy!

Sometime ago, a salesman ALMOST convinced me to buy their new soya-flavoured Golden morn for my 6-month old daughter shocked

It did look attractive and I almost bought it, but I had this nagging feeling at the back of my mind and kept looking at the pack over and over again . . And then there it was, written in tiny letters "From 3yrs and above (or something of that nature)! I was shocked. My sisters feed these things to their kids. Isn't it kind of dangerous

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by zayhal(f): 2:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
@peterwins
God bless you! The information is so timely.

@jallowbah
It's not always the case that parents don't want to feed their kids with what they eat. Kids could be so selective about their choices and parents keep trying out different things till they get what their kid loves most.

I don't think any parent in her right senses would want anything short of the best nutritious meals for their children.

9 Likes

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by JallowBah(f): 3:03pm On Oct 11, 2012
zayhal: @peterwins
God bless you! The information is so timely.

@jallowbah
It's not always the case that parents don't want to feed their kids with what they eat. Kids could be so selective about their choices and parents keep trying out different things till they get what their kid loves most.

I don't think any parent in her right senses would want anything short of the best nutritious meals for their children.

Of course not, but many people tend to take "the easy way", instead of letting the kid taste their own food as wellsmiley

2 Likes

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 11, 2012
JallowBah:

Of course not, but many people tend to take "the easy way", instead of letting the kid taste their own food as wellsmiley

Well this is Nigeria. I'm not about to start feeding my 1-yr old akpu and ewedu soup.

7 Likes

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by JallowBah(f): 3:16pm On Oct 11, 2012
Ujujoan:

Well this is Nigeria. I'm not about to start feeding my 1-yr old akpu and ewedu soup.

Well, I`m married to a gambian. Our kid has been eating african food since she was about one year old, just with a little less pepper than normal.

What was your point here?

11 Likes

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2012
I read this post bout 2 days ago and I thot to my self since my soon to be 2yr old's doc appt for regular checkups and shots is in wed(oct 10), I'll buy the golden morn(from African store) and take it to the Ped and he'll tell me the possible side effects of this cereal.

Of course he's never seen it before but he said because its made from corn( which can cause constipation and discomfort) which is very strong for little tummy (4-12 m thats why rice cereal is rec for this stage cos its light)

but it should be okay for kids from 12m and up provided its prepared light ( nectar like) he suggested.

IMO I say we should just avoid it, oatmeal is the best , I blend it into powder then mix it variety of fruits (mostly jar fruits), my kids love them for bfast and bedtime snack.

5 Likes

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2012
JallowBah:

Well, I`m married to a gambian. Our kid has been eating african food since she was about one year old, just with a little less pepper than normal.

What was your point here?

good for you . . . But I'm just not going for that!

Maybe when she's three she can swallow her first ball of akpu/eba. But for now, I'm sticking with my cerelac and pap! When she clocks one and grows enough teeth, I'll introduce really soft indomie and rice and maybe beans . . .

I thought I could use golden morn earlier but damn!
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 11, 2012
jidegirl12: I read this post bout 2 days ago and I thot to my self since my soon to be 2yr old's doc appt for regular checkups and shots is in wed(oct 10), I'll buy the golden morn(from African store) and take it to the Ped and he'll tell me the possible side effects of this cereal.

Of course he's never seen it before but he said because its made from corn( which can cause constipation and discomfort) which is very strong for little tummy (4-12 m thats why rice cereal is rec for this stage cos its light)

but it should be okay for kids from 12m and up provided its prepared light ( nectar like) he suggested.

IMO I say we should just avoid it, oatmeal is the best , I blend it into powder then mix it variety of fruits (mostly jar fruits), my kids love them for bfast and bedtime snack.

You are exactly right. You can't go wrong with the basics. My baby is 5 and she has been eating oatmeal with fruit since she was 12 months. I haven't seen any 'side effects' yet.

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by deybowlah: 7:44pm On Oct 11, 2012
Peterwins: For parents with children under 3 years kindly reach for a pack of Golden Morn and confirm this info. If you do not have a pack within reach, kindly get to the nearest store or supermarket and check the age restriction. I find it hard to believe that such a sensitive info is not boldly written to alert unsuspecting parents.
I have always knew that golden morn is not for infants. I don't know where I got that info from so when my 8months started solid, golden morn wasn't an option but my baby refuses all forms of cereal including pap. She only eats homemade food but I need something she can snack on. . I finally decided to get her golden morn. Infact I have opened the pack but decided to read everything written on the pack when I saw "GOLDEN MORN IS NOT AN INFANT CEREAL AND NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER 3 YEARS.
Parents should pls read well b4 feeding their kids anything

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by adorable29(f): 11:00pm On Oct 11, 2012
This is just Wrong! In naija here, most mothers start givin their kids golden morn from as young as 1yr plus! Just because they want to sell? Even there adverts if am not mistaken, show pictures of little toddlers. God help us O!

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by tpia5: 12:24am On Oct 12, 2012
cant remember what golden morn is.

isnt it for adults though? Very sweet or something?

nutrend is the one that's better for kids, i think.

not sure if they still make that.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by agiboma(f): 11:15am On Oct 12, 2012
Wish i knew this i gave it to my son religiously for so long.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Tgirl4real(f): 1:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
jidegirl12: I read this post bout 2 days ago and I thot to my self since my soon to be 2yr old's doc appt for regular checkups and shots is in wed(oct 10), I'll buy the golden morn(from African store) and take it to the Ped and he'll tell me the possible side effects of this cereal.

This is more like it.

Thanks for the info though, but I think it should be ok from 12 months cos it's ingredient is actually not different from Cerelac Maize. Thatz d sole reason I switched after like 15months.

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 12, 2012
Everybody is just freaking out like g.m will kill or something,

I don't think so and so is a professional, it's just too strong for infants tummy and possibly cause discomfort and constipation.

I gave it to my middle child when she was 6months and when she refused to go for over 3 days and I took her to the emerg and they gave her suppository to get the poop out .

It's just like feeding kids with sweetened tuwo with milk, lol

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 12, 2012
@T , I tried the cerelac Maize stage one too and got thesame result (constipation), I only do oatmeal with variety of Heinz/gerber jar fruits and nestle mixed cereals and of course amala or oatmeal ( made like amala) with ewedu and bean soup and tomato sauce.. Lol.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Tgirl4real(f): 3:47pm On Oct 12, 2012
I didn't even start my baby on Cerelac till she was like 8 months. I started with Cow&gate rice cereal, creamy and fruity porridge, garber, purity foods and later oatmeal. I avoided the ready made jar food sha, but used garber apple sauce.

I really didn't like Cerelac rice, it lumps. Once she was 8-9months, I gave her all the different variety of cerelac o. lol. She love cow & gate n purity more sha.
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 12, 2012
@T

My middle child is vegetarian ( no meat) any more suggestions for protein besides miilk pls anyone ?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by feminineA: 3:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
God help us. @ op thanks for been observant and sharing this
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Tgirl4real(f): 4:02pm On Oct 12, 2012
jidegirl12: @T

My middle child is vegetarian ( no meat) any more suggestions for protein besides miilk pls anyone ?

How come?

How old is the child?

Beans could do, plantain and eggs, amala and ewedu, ready made mixed fruits, cereal

Sorry, we seem to have more of carb foods undecided
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
I know! She's almost 4 and she refused to eat meat chicken, turkey ( I've tried ground meat but she takes it out) since she was 2.

I've noticed recently a lot of carb makes her chubby ( unlike others) and she drinks a lot of milk too. She doesn't like amala and co, I'm taking her to a nutritionist next month, just thot I should ask here for meal ideas since they're talking bout food, lol
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Tgirl4real(f): 7:39pm On Oct 12, 2012
@ Jgirl,

Eeya! I can imagine d what u are going thru. Does she at least like boiled egg and maybe beans?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by JallowBah(f): 8:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
jidegirl12: I know! She's almost 4 and she refused to eat meat chicken, turkey ( I've tried ground meat but she takes it out) since she was 2.

I've noticed recently a lot of carb makes her chubby ( unlike others) and she drinks a lot of milk too. She doesn't like amala and co, I'm taking her to a nutritionist next month, just thot I should ask here for meal ideas since they're talking bout food, lol

My kid only eat meat if there is some spice on it. If there is not much spice, she wont even touch it, she just spits it out again.

1 Like

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by heavensown: 9:53pm On Oct 12, 2012
I've got a 500g Nestle Golden morn classic (maize with soya) and I can't find any infant warnings or anything of such that everyone is talking about undecided
Or is it a different brand which is unsuitable?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by ronkebp(f): 12:01pm On Oct 13, 2012
it is because all this stu/pid companies are not being sued, that is why, they are still doing their thing non-challantly. All parents should come together, open their mouths and scream at the top of their voices...."Life is very important, Life should be made the top priority". I am so angry.....nonsense marketers, My God will expose them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by free2ryhme: 12:08pm On Oct 13, 2012

it has bin there ever since .. maybe you are one of those ignorant buyers who does not take time to read labels or content package/pack
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 13, 2012
jidegirl12: @T

Beans? Egg ? Nuts?
Re: Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years by davies123: 12:14pm On Oct 13, 2012

You haven't said anything! What was written?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Traditional Wedding Cakes! / Never Knew There Was Meat In My Compound During This Lockdown / Fisherman Kills Sea Lion With Spear In Adada, Rivers State (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.