Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas (12684 Views)

BREAKING: Heavy Gun Fire As Hausa Okadas Engage Lagos Police / 300 Taxis To Replace 'Okadas' In Bayelsa State / FG Denies Banning Okadas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by solomon111(m): 10:14am On Oct 10, 2012
Fashola!
Fashola!!
Fashola!!!
Be prepared for the repercussion of your actions.
Useless governor.
And may God punish those saying BRF for 2015.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by wilbase: 10:15am On Oct 10, 2012
Government ought to carry out corrective approach but it is certainly a destructive approach. What will happen to this lad using this as a source of to an end… .Taking the easy way out is now back on the table for them cry
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by udemzyudex(m): 10:16am On Oct 10, 2012
solomon111: Fashola!
Fashola!!
Fashola!!!
Be prepared for the repercussion of your actions.
Useless governor.
And may God punish those saying BRF for 2015.
Pls calm down
grin
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Biggyd2: 10:16am On Oct 10, 2012
okpara ugo:

Shattap. This is economic barbarism.

What are you trying to do with my post, dear? Second guess me? Please free my post and go make your comments elsewhere because you certainly can't read my mind. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 10:17am On Oct 10, 2012
nkem Kalu: GOVERNMENT IS NOT BANNING OKADA RATHER THEY ARE ASKING U TO BE CAREFUL AND OBEY THE LAW WHILE DOING THE LEGITIMATE BUSINESS
SO WHEN U VIOLATE THE TRAFFIC LAW THEY TAKE YOUR OKADA AND DESTROY IT? WHAT HAPPENED TO PAYING A FINE? ISNT THAT WHAT THEY DO IN CIVILIZED COUNTRIES?

THE SAME RULE SHOULD THEN BE APPLIED TO TAXI AND PRIVATE CARS, SO THAT IF YOU VIOLATE THE TRAFFIC LAW, THEY WILL TAKE YOUR CAR AND DESTROY IT .

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT FASHOLA IS DOING TO THESE OKADA RIDERS WHO BROKE THE TRAFFIC LAWS AND WHAT THE PEOPLE OF ALLUU DID TO UNIPORT STUDENTS ?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 10, 2012
Lagos must tighten its security otherwise these people will turn to full time criminals (cos most of them are already part time criminals). But I still think this is a fine move.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by peterowode: 10:23am On Oct 10, 2012
the LASG is too harsh on this one, they should find better ways of punishing them without having to destroy the source of their livelihood. Most of these okada riders are not even the owners of their bike
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by HOTWATER(m): 10:24am On Oct 10, 2012
thanK God is not GEJ .And on of the traffic laws says you will forfeit you Car . It is just dictatorship
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Kassidy90(m): 10:25am On Oct 10, 2012
Y nt make dem pay fine instead....na wa 4 dis fashola guy.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Psylas(m): 10:29am On Oct 10, 2012
mekaboy: LEAD IN WHAT?

I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT EACH OF THOSE OKADAS REPRESENT A FAMILY, A CHILDS SCHOOL FEES, SOMEONES DAILY BREAD. AND AN OPEN DOOR FOR ARMED ROBBERY, KIDNAPPING AND INSECURITY.

SO WHEN YOU NOTICE THE INCREASE OF ARMED ROBBERY IN LAGOS, DONT ASK WHERE IT CAME FROM. ITS ONE OF THOSE OKADAS YOU SEE THERE. THOSE CAUGHT OFFENDING SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY A FINE, INSTEAD OF DESTROYING THEIR MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD. ITS NOT LIKE GOVT PAYS WELFARE TO SUPPORT ANY CITIZEN, OR THERE ARE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES, WHERE YOU CAN EASILY WALK IN AND GET A JOB.

THOSE OF YOU PRAISING GOVT FOR THIS, SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISED, WHEN A PREVIOUS OKADA RIDER COMES TO ROB YOU AT NIGHT.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by DANILSA(m): 10:38am On Oct 10, 2012
IN NIGERIA EACH EMPLOYED MAN IS EQUIVALENT TO 5MOUTHS, SO FASHOLA HAS FRUSTRATED ABOUT 15000 SOULS cry AND WE CALL THIS MOVING FORWARD? I LOVE FASHOLA HIS MY BEST GOVERNOR BUT HIS BITING MORE THAN HE CAN CHEW THIS DAYS, HIS BECOMING A DICTATOR THAN SAVIOR.YOUR ONLY BREEDING MORE NUISANCE AND ROBBERS embarassed
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 10, 2012
bigtt76: Enough said ....I wonder what goes on in the mind of those supporting the action. Yes the riders are rough and a nuisance but then they do not constitute any more nuisance than they would toting a gun, axe or sledge hammer lying in wait for the rich on 3MB.

Sad enough that the same politicians who during their campaigns introduced the giving away of motorcycles to entice the youth into voting for them, turn around and deprive them of their newly found livelihood.

Funny enough, I doubt any of those who are praising, formulated the policy or crushing the bikes can boldly say they've never ridden on any before. If you've not then i challenge you cast the first stone .....rubbish!

Yeah funnily enough...9ja is a carton.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 10:44am On Oct 10, 2012

I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT EACH OF THOSE OKADAS REPRESENT A FAMILY, A CHILDS SCHOOL FEES, SOMEONES DAILY BREAD. AND AN OPEN DOOR FOR ARMED ROBBERY, KIDNAPPING AND INSECURITY.

SO WHEN YOU NOTICE THE INCREASE OF ARMED ROBBERY IN LAGOS, DONT ASK WHERE IT CAME FROM. ITS ONE OF THOSE OKADAS YOU SEE THERE. THOSE CAUGHT OFFENDING SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY A FINE, INSTEAD OF DESTROYING THEIR MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD. ITS NOT LIKE GOVT PAYS WELFARE TO SUPPORT ANY CITIZEN, OR THERE ARE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES, WHERE YOU CAN EASILY WALK IN AND GET A JOB.

THOSE OF YOU PRAISING GOVT FOR THIS, SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISED, WHEN A PREVIOUS OKADA RIDER COMES TO ROB YOU AT NIGHT.

You know I agree with you that offenders should be given the opportunity to pay a fine and retrieve their vehicles, but if what the traffic official said about Okadamen abandoning their bikes and fleeing is true, then what do we expect the government to do. You can't fine someone you can't catch.

I think we should all just try our best to obey these laws. They are not so hard you know? Even illiterate bikemen in Benin Republic obey traffic laws. Why do we Nigerians seem to prefer being lawless?
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by charles424(m): 10:46am On Oct 10, 2012

You are very correct,I don't understand what is going wrong in this country call Nigeria,has the devil taken over all people in govt?? What has the govt done to alleviate the suffering of the masses?
I am afraid when the revolution will start there won't be any airport for them to run away...useless and wicked leaders.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 10:48am On Oct 10, 2012
peterowode: the LASG is too harsh on this one, they should find better ways of punishing them without having to destroy the source of their livelihood. Most of these okada riders are not even the owners of their bike

Which is why many of them abandoned the bikes and fled. I can't imagine leaving my means of livelihood becuase of one LASTMA guy o! That station, we go reach am together.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 10, 2012
Ajibel: Its so obvious most of u didnt read d article well. D officer stated clearly that the okada riders on sighting d officials dumped their bikes. They knew they've offended...and why would u break d law in d first place when u aren't insane/ mad? Would ur bike be seized if u obey the law?
Most of us are used to lawlessnes that any new law is seen as draconian!
shattap there,so because the head aches,then you cut it off,fools like you,don't know the price of common bicycle,muchmore buying it. Fashola,for every action,there must be an equal,and opposite reaction.

You are trying to build a mega-city,by putting people in trauma. More reason I don't subscribe to 2nd term in office,is more or less a waste of time.
I don't believe the bike would be destroyed,it will end up in the house of the relative of the govt people. Crazy law.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 10, 2012
Instead of destroying it,why can't it be auctioned to the public,as means of generating revenue,and empowering the people. Senseless people.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by thelastPope(m): 10:56am On Oct 10, 2012
These are the very same kind of events that led a man to set himself ablaze in Tunisia and the rest is history!

Those who feel like some kind of god now will be shocked when it happens. Lagos state does not have the capacity and resources to handle mass decent! Smh
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by aderico: 10:57am On Oct 10, 2012
Can we for once have an objective argument here please. D argument posted against d decision of d govt is based on d premise dat we re turning up more unemployed people,d value of d bikes,etc but I will like to say that if you ve ever been to okada ward at igbobi, wher u wil see legs hanging, peeps dat re paralysed due to okada accident,etc you will knw d important of dis laws to checkmate their menace.
D laws was intent to protect human lives and if u read d article very well, d owners abandon d bike because dey don't want to pay d fine to collect their bikes back. Can 3000 bikes be compared or more valuable than d lives that would ve been lost if probably half of dem had an accident?
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 10, 2012
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Sarcoc: 10:58am On Oct 10, 2012

When they say people are uncivil one often wonders what is meant - this notion that armed robbery is the right substitute for not having an okada is an epitome of in civilisation & this is not intended to slight your opinion in any way!

These guys are expected to obey the law and this is fact. In any civil society if one chooses to break the law they must expect to be treated as outlaws. My dear friend it is not up to me or you to debate on the punishment as they were set before the these crimes were committed - my dear friends and indeed okada people have a right to contest a proposed punishment but they choose not to rather they broke the law.

My dear friends let us be more civil in our thinking!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 11:00am On Oct 10, 2012
dabossman:

You know I agree with you that offenders should be given the opportunity to pay a fine and retrieve their vehicles, but if what the traffic official said about Okadamen abandoning their bikes and fleeing is true, then what do we expect the government to do. You can't fine someone you can't catch.

I think we should all just try our best to obey these laws. They are not so hard you know? Even illiterate bikemen in Benin Republic obey traffic laws. Why do we Nigerians seem to prefer being lawless?

[b]THE ISSUE IS NOT BREAKING THE LAW, THE ISSUE IS HOW YOU ARE CORRECTED IN NIGERIA. IN THE WESTERN WORLD, WHEN SOMEONE REPORTS YOU TO THE POLICE, AND THEY COME TO ARREST YOU, THEY QUIETLY INVITE YOU TO THE STATION AND READ YOUR RIGHTS TO YOU.

IN NIGERIA, THE POLICE WILL COME WITH GUNS AND BATTEN, DEPENDING ON WHO YOU ARE, THEY WILL BEAT YOU UP BEFORE YOU GET TO THE STATION. WHY DO YOU THINK THE OKADA PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR BIKE AND FLEE ?

WHEN THEY GET TO THE STATION, THEY ARE ARRESTED, THEY MIGHT HAVE TO PAY UP TO 10K TO BAIL THEMSELVES FIRST, BEFORE THEY COME AND PAY FOR THEIR BIKE.

THE LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENTS IN NIGERIA ARE LAWLESS, HOW WILL THE CITIZENS OBEY THE LAW? IF THEY SAY ANYBODY CAUGHT BREAKING THE TRAFFIC LAWS WILL PAY 5K AND GET A RECEIPT, THEN IF THEY CATCH YOU, THEY TAKE YOUR BIKE, IF YOU DONT HAVE THE 5K, YOU LEAVE YOUR BIKE AND GO FIND THE MONEY.

BUT IN NIGERIA, WHEN YOU GET TO THE STATION, YOU WILL BE PUT IN THE CELL, THEN YOU PAY 10K TO BAIL YOURSELF, BEFORE YOU PAY TO BAIL YOUR BIKE. IF YOU VISIT NIGERIAN POLICE STATIONS AND SEE HOW LAWLESS, THEY ARE, YOU CAN IMAGINE WHAT ALL THOSE LASSMA AND AGBORO STATIONS WILL BE LIKE. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 11:02am On Oct 10, 2012
DANILSA: IN NIGERIA EACH EMPLOYED MAN IS EQUIVALENT TO 5MOUTHS, SO FASHOLA HAS FRUSTRATED ABOUT 15000 SOULS cry AND WE CALL THIS MOVING FORWARD? I LOVE FASHOLA HIS MY BEST GOVERNOR BUT HIS BITING MORE THAN HE CAN CHEW THIS DAYS, HIS BECOMING A DICTATOR THAN SAVIOR.YOUR ONLY BREEDING MORE NUISANCE AND ROBBERS embarassed

You know I agree with you on the emboldened parts. That is why I leave my house early in the morning to get to work before 8AM. That is why many people wear suits in this hot Nigerian weather, when a T-shirt and jeans would be more comfortable. That is why we obey rules and regulations set by our employers whether public or private sector, even though they are not completely convenient. Because, men, if I loose my job a number of "mouths" will feel it o! And I can't carry guns. So, I comply. When I get home I can do as I like.

Maybe Okada riders need to think about their families before they flaunt clearly set rules. Just my thoughts.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by wirewire(m): 11:04am On Oct 10, 2012
supereagle: The Lagos State Government has commenced the process of crushing 3, 000 motorcycles, popularly called okada, impounded from their owners for violating traffic law.

Officials of the state Taskforce on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit on Tuesday dismantled the okadas at the task force yard in Alausa.

The Taskforce Chairman, Bayo Sulaiman, an Assistant Superintent of Police, said after the end of the dismantling exercise, the iron parts would be taken to the state Crushing Plant in Oshodi, where they would be crushed and recycled.

He said the action was to show that the government had stepped up its enforcement of the state traffic law, adding that the crushing of the okadas would serve as deterrent to other commercial motorcycle operators.
FASHOLA!FASHOLA!!FASHOLA!!!
This act is also the same to those murdered at P Town, do you know that 3000 pple are swearing for you now, think about it. Anyway we are waiting for 2015.
Sulaiman said, “These are okadas impounded since the new traffic law was signed into law. There are 3, 000 of them. Okada riders must obey our traffic law. They are fond of driving against traffic, on kerbs and several unauthorised places. The law has been passed and gazetted and there is no going back on its enforcement.

“We are dismantling the okadas now to separate the parts that are crushable from the ones that are not crushable. After this, we will take the crushable parts to Oshodi crushing plant, where they will be crushed and recycled. The non-crushable parts will probably be auctioned, but not in the state.

“The Taskforce has not started enforcing the law fully. But this should serve as a warning to them because we won’t hesitate to impound any okada caught on the restricted roads in the state.”

Sulaiman, however, said there were no riders to be prosecuted because the owners of the 3, 000 okadas abandoned them on sighting law enforcement officials.

On Monday’s protest by some of the riders, Sulaiman said, “They have the right to protest, but the government will be firm in what it does. It does not in any way stop our job, those who intend not to obey the law, we are coming after them. The protest is a group action, but our arrests will be one after the other and we will be out there on a daily basis.”

According to him, the law has been passed and those who will not obey the law will be punished.

The task force boss, however, said the law’s compliance level was improving on a daily basis. He advised the riders to go to areas where their operations are not restricted.
http://www.punchng.com/news/traffic-law-lagos-destroys-3000-seized-okadas/
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by klax(m): 11:05am On Oct 10, 2012
To be honest I understand govt plight in fighting lawlesness but i'm a bit sad to see how these Okada are destroyed this is not fair enough to be honest. Cutting the head is not a solution to headache. In other way I guess the govt are tired of keeping those Okada in their custody but instead of destroying them there are more better ways to do this because these are somebody SWEAT for God sake.

Well I have nothing to say MUCH because it really baffles me so much. I love good governance but I hate destroying peoples things because they are same people that the govt should have fight for and protect. With the way Lagos is going hhhhmmmmm I wish Fashola and Lagoian goodluck because anger, vexation, frustration, hopelessness, joblessness is growing everyday in the sreet of Lagos and this is dangerous to peace and stability.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Sarcoc: 11:06am On Oct 10, 2012
When they say people are uncivil one often wonders what is meant - this notion that armed robbery is the right substitute for not having an okada is an epitome of in civilisation & this is not intended to slight your opinion in any way!

Sorry I meant epitome of uncivil thinking NOT (in civilisation ) that was a typo!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 11:07am On Oct 10, 2012
mekaboy:

[b]THE ISSUE IS NOT BREAKING THE LAW, THE ISSUE IS HOW YOU ARE CORRECTED IN NIGERIA. IN THE WESTERN WORLD, WHEN SOMEONE REPORTS YOU TO THE POLICE, AND THEY COME TO ARREST YOU, THEY QUIETLY INVITE YOU TO THE STATION AND READ YOUR RIGHTS TO YOU.

IN NIGERIA, THE POLICE WILL COME WITH GUNS AND BATTEN, DEPENDING ON WHO YOU ARE, THEY WILL BEAT YOU UP BEFORE YOU GET TO THE STATION. WHY DO YOU THINK THE OKADA PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR BIKE AND FLEE ?

WHEN THEY GET TO THE STATION, THEY ARE ARRESTED, THEY MIGHT HAVE TO PAY UP TO 10K TO BAIL THEMSELVES FIRST, BEFORE THEY COME AND PAY FOR THEIR BIKE.

THE LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENTS IN NIGERIA ARE LAWLESS, HOW WILL THE CITIZENS OBEY THE LAW? IF THEY SAY ANYBODY CAUGHT BREAKING THE TRAFFIC LAWS WILL PAY 5K AND GET A RECEIPT, THEN IF THEY CATCH YOU, THEY TAKE YOUR BIKE, IF YOU DONT HAVE THE 5K, YOU LEAVE YOUR BIKE AND GO FIND THE MONEY.

BUT IN NIGERIA, WHEN YOU GET TO THE STATION, YOU WILL BE PUT IN THE CELL, THEN YOU PAY 10K TO BAIL YOURSELF, BEFORE YOU PAY TO BAIL YOUR BIKE. IF YOU VISIT NIGERIAN POLICE STATIONS AND SEE HOW LAWLESS, THEY ARE, YOU CAN IMAGINE WHAT ALL THOSE LASSMA AND AGBORO STATIONS WILL BE LIKE. [/b]

I agree. I have been to the Police Station before (for no clear-cut offense) and I have been to LASTMA office before (for breaking traffic laws), and you know what I concluded? It is much easier to obey the law, no matter how inconvenient it seems. That 5K, no be small change o bros, not to talk of paying 20-30K which the new laws stipulate for some offenses.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by kufreabasi(m): 11:07am On Oct 10, 2012
[quote author=yemi2plus2][/quote]

Be watchful. You would have told them to return to their states with their okoda rather spoiling them. Think twice Lagos state
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by wirewire(m): 11:08am On Oct 10, 2012
FASHOLA!FASHOLA!!FASHOLA!!!
Your act is not better than what happened at P Town, 3000 pple hv been murdered emotionally and financially,3000 peeps are swearing for you now. This act is uncivilised, we are waiting for 2015
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by agohavivi(f): 11:08am On Oct 10, 2012
Fashola deceived bulk of lagosians. During his first tenure he impressed us so much that we gave him our mandate for a second tenure after which we came to realise who he truly is. Exploited us with unrealistic toll fees, laid off doctors who requested for the salary scheme he promised them. Made so many people homeless by destroying their abodes, bullied poor traders and hawkers using his taskforce officials, implemented impossible traffic laws, made so many jobless and folding up viable businesses by fencing off the lekki-epe express way. Pushed up the state university tuition fee to as much as 150k claiming that whoever wasn't ok with it is free to withdraw. The list is endless unfortunately, all this is from a man who would seize the slightest opportunity to condemn and criticise PDP.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Revolva(m): 11:08am On Oct 10, 2012
3000 okada??

oo ma gawd fashola upon all his good handwork wanna spoil his reputation why.na......now what will the okada men do for a living...now ask your self
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by thelastPope(m): 11:10am On Oct 10, 2012
Anybody saying that the Okada riders abandoned their okadas are stup1d fat liars!!! We see them everyday when they arrests these okada guys and even cars. The lastma officials just mount the okadas and drive them away while the okada guys just stand there helpless. The first thing they do when they arrest them is seize their keys. If they are arrested by a patrol van, the okadas are thrown into the open boot of the vans.

They talk like we don't see them everyday. Its absolutely inhuman and like someone said, Fashola is not different from the Allu villagers! He has no human feeling. He is way removed from reality. The truth is most of these guys are asked to bring huge sums that they can't even generate for 2 years. So how will they not abandon the okadas. Fashola is the worst governor in Nigeria as far as am concerned because he his not ruling for the people but for himself and his click!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Owes 70,000 Workers Three-month Salaries / Rivers Assembly Approves Wike’s N10bn Loan Request / Some Pictures Of Kirikiri Maximum Security Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.