Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,142 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas (12681 Views)

BREAKING: Heavy Gun Fire As Hausa Okadas Engage Lagos Police / 300 Taxis To Replace 'Okadas' In Bayelsa State / FG Denies Banning Okadas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by olatomiwa(f): 11:10am On Oct 10, 2012
This is a huge waste. This can be handled differently!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 11:12am On Oct 10, 2012
SEE HOW EFFECTIVE THEY ARE TO ENFORCE THE LAWS THAT CONCERN THE COMMON MAN. HOW EFFECTIVE ARE THEY TO ENFORCE THE LAWS THAT THE RICH BREAK EVERYDAY?

YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT HOW MUCH THEY WILL DEMAND THE OKADA RIDERS TO PAY FOR THEIR BIKE, WITH THE INTENTION FOR THEM TO LEAVE IT AT THE STATION, SO THAT THE OFFICERS WILL SELL THEM BEHIND AND GIVE TO THEIR RELATIVES.

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by PosCaricature: 11:12am On Oct 10, 2012
In as much as I agree with Lagos state govt in its efforts to rid the state of criminal activities & to enforce its traffic laws in the state I still strongly believe that resorting to the destruction of the okadas which serve as means of livelihood to thousands of Lagosians is not the best solution. We all know the cost of a new motocycle in Nigeria today.There should be some other ways to punish offenders rather than destroying their means of livelihood which will further inflict more hardship on the affected people & their immediate families. It's just too barbaric & wicked of the LASG!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 11:14am On Oct 10, 2012
Sarcoc: When they say people are uncivil one often wonders what is meant - this notion that armed robbery is the right substitute for not having an okada is an epitome of in civilisation & this is not intended to slight your opinion in any way!

Sorry I meant epitome of uncivil thinking NOT (in civilisation ) that was a typo!

GBAM! Right on the money! Such thinking is almost similar to the notion that killing and burning people for armed robbery (proven or not) is the substitute for an ineffective police and justice system.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Olaone1: 11:19am On Oct 10, 2012
Why destroy things that you can sell off? undecided

In normal climes, they sell not destroy such ,
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by jposuagwu: 11:20am On Oct 10, 2012
If Lagos govt applies same tenacity with which they are implementing the traffic law to the Lagos Rent Law, It would go a long way in alleviating the suffering of Lagosians in renting accommodation. I wonder if Fashola knows that the rent bill has created more problems than it has solved. Destroying 3000 okadas is not wise thinking, if you ask me. Why not impose fine and ask owners of seized okada to come for identification and payment of applicable fine? I fear that after removing their source of livelihood, the okada riders would resort to crime and other vices, making the whole thing counter productive. Fashola please think this thing over again.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by sojjy: 11:21am On Oct 10, 2012
Which yeye law,he is only creating those law to tk them away frm lagos,cos he knows no bdy is above the law,they will surely fall into his trap..now they are falling into his trap,so the best thing he can do is to destroy their means of livelihood?
A land with no law that guides it is deem to perish.Lagos traffic law is for the good of the state. [[/color]color=#990000][/color]
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by samkoro: 11:21am On Oct 10, 2012
mekaboy: LEAD IN WHAT?

I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT EACH OF THOSE OKADAS REPRESENT A FAMILY, A CHILDS SCHOOL FEES, SOMEONES DAILY BREAD. AND AN OPEN DOOR FOR ARMED ROBBERY, KIDNAPPING AND INSECURITY.

SO WHEN YOU NOTICE THE INCREASE OF ARMED ROBBERY IN LAGOS, DONT ASK WHERE IT CAME FROM. ITS ONE OF THOSE OKADAS YOU SEE THERE. THOSE CAUGHT OFFENDING SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY A FINE, INSTEAD OF DESTROYING THEIR MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD. ITS NOT LIKE GOVT PAYS WELFARE TO SUPPORT ANY CITIZEN, OR THERE ARE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES, WHERE YOU CAN EASILY WALK IN AND GET A JOB.

THOSE OF YOU PRAISING GOVT FOR THIS, SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISED, WHEN A PREVIOUS OKADA RIDER COMES TO ROB YOU AT NIGHT.

Its easier to destroy than to build.The Okada rider,the government,and a future victim of armed robbery is at a loss. Government in our part of the world always has a way of being barberic,even with a good intention.They may even prescribe death sentence to a poor man disobeying traffic rule and 6 months imprisonment to a politician that stole billions.Its pathetic.

An inteligent government will prescribe five thousand naira fine for such offence and simply raise revenue through that means.No Okada man will pay five thousand once or twice and still repeat the same route.

Government has just succeeded in getting back 3000 families back to serious abject poverty.

Fashola hates poor people.If not,he should have a way of punishing offenders without killing them ,so that they will at least be alife to feed their families and obey traffic laws.

For the fact that he is a governor and automaticaly a billionaire should not make him not understand the pains and agony of poor people who go to sleep hungry without food and wake up more hungry and desperate.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 11:25am On Oct 10, 2012
SO LETS ASSUME THERE ARE 3000 UNEMPLOYED MEN, IN LAGOS NOW, IN ADDITION TO THE COUNTLESS ALREADY EXISTING. IN A COUNTRY LIKE NIGERIA, THERE IS A HIGH PROBABILITY THAT 10% OF THESE MEN WILL ENGAGE IN CRIME, THIS IS 300 CRIMINALS INTRODUCED.

NIGERIANS CAN BE VERY HYPOCRITICAL SOMETIMES, IF WE WANT TO SOLVE NIGERIAN PROBLEM, WE SHOULD START FROM THE ROOT. THE SAME GOVT THAT IS MAKING THESE LAWS, ARE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE OKADA RIDERS.

COME TO THINK OF IT, IF THE NIGERIAN GOVT WAS NOT SO CORRUPT, I SEE NO REASON WHY A YOUNG MAN, IN AN OIL RICH COUNTRY LIKE NIGERIA WILL BE RIDING OKADA AS A MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD. OKADA SHOULD NOT EVEN BE A MEANS OF PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN NIGERIA.

WHEN THE GOVT IS MAKING THESE HARSH LAWS THAT MAINLY AFFECT THE POOR IN NIGERIA, THEY SEEM TO FORGET THAT THEY ARE THE ONES THAT PUT THEM IN THAT CONDITION .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Reyspin(m): 11:33am On Oct 10, 2012
"There" instead of "their" bro [quote author=yemi2plus2][/quote]
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by olumidazz: 11:37am On Oct 10, 2012
Why not fine them heavily, the govt. Has deprived 3000 people of their means of livelihood, to me this is jungle justice tantamount to UNIPORT 4.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by luvinhubby(m): 11:38am On Oct 10, 2012
Ajibel: Its so obvious most of u didnt read d article well. D officer stated clearly that the okada riders on sighting d officials dumped their bikes. They knew they've offended...and why would u break d law in d first place when u aren't insane/ mad? Would ur bike be seized if u obey the law?
Most of us are used to lawlessnes that any new law is seen as draconian!
That's a lie, we all know how these people are hunted down by task force, lastma, kai & council for reasons like helmet, stickers and even not buying daily ticketd.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by vascey(m): 11:40am On Oct 10, 2012
This is ridic.ulous. This is ins.ane. Why are we so quick to destroy? We cannot build yet we destroy at every opportunity. That is just sad!
There are a million and one things that could have been done with those motorcycles. They could have been auctioned. They could have been distributed to poor Lagos State workers who have little means for transport etc. It doesn't take a very intelligent mind to give you ideas on finding a better use for those bikes; even an illiterate beggar on the street could have come with a valid suggestion. yet we destroy! Destroy something we do not have the expertise to even assemble. This is just sad!!

Not to mention the moral perspective. In world class organisations, when an employee violates business conduct, one of the disciplinary measures could be suspension without pay.
Why?? because you never want to throw the baby away with the water (or however it is said). That should be the approach by the government. A government with vision should be able to see the big picture. If you seize the man's okada for 3 months and return it to him, it is enough punitive measure to discourage him from committing that crime again. Why do you have to destroy the bikes?? Lagos has a huge transport problem and no one in his right mind will say that these bikes are not contributing to the alleviation of the transport challenges. yet they destroy and destroy.

Our government must desist from treating people like animals. I dont't even know the legal backing for this. Because they are poor, illiterate and helpless, we treat them like trash. How many cars have been crushed or is it only the okadas that are disobeying traffic laws....

Not to talk of the 3,000 who have been rendered jobless, the families they feed, the children they send to school, the fuel they buy, the mechanics that service their bikes, the dudes that sell spare parts to them, their hopes and dreams....

Can these guys ever see the big picture or maybe they just don't care.

Sh.it!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Nomswilli(m): 11:44am On Oct 10, 2012
i simply du nt have a problem wit krushing 500000 okada's.bt wat am more kncernd about is d rate at which armd robbery would be on d inkrease,thereby endangerin d lifes of lagos citezenrys
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by naptu2: 11:44am On Oct 10, 2012
The motorcycles are going to be recycled. Parts that cannot be recycled will be auctioned off (outside the state).
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by azpekuliar: 11:44am On Oct 10, 2012
Smacks of some official highhandedness from LASG. I haven't looked at the law, but if there's a provision in it for confiscation, this should be reserved for serial offenders. There's nothing wrong with a fine for first time traffic offenders, temporary impounding and compulsory community service for repeat offenders. Total forfeiture of the motorcycle should be the reserved for the worst of them. Fashola's efforts at making Lagos State a true and proper mega-city are indeed admirable.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by LADIbaba(m): 11:53am On Oct 10, 2012
I wonder who said Lagos is for everyone? I believe no one forced you to stay in Lagos. If you don't have any source of livelihood why not return to where you are from No one is above the law.

mekaboy: LEAD IN WHAT?

I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT EACH OF THOSE OKADAS REPRESENT A FAMILY, A CHILDS SCHOOL FEES, SOMEONES DAILY BREAD. AND AN OPEN DOOR FOR ARMED ROBBERY, KIDNAPPING AND INSECURITY.

SO WHEN YOU NOTICE THE INCREASE OF ARMED ROBBERY IN LAGOS, DONT ASK WHERE IT CAME FROM. ITS ONE OF THOSE OKADAS YOU SEE THERE. THOSE CAUGHT OFFENDING SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY A FINE, INSTEAD OF DESTROYING THEIR MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD. ITS NOT LIKE GOVT PAYS WELFARE TO SUPPORT ANY CITIZEN, OR THERE ARE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES, WHERE YOU CAN EASILY WALK IN AND GET A JOB.

THOSE OF YOU PRAISING GOVT FOR THIS, SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISED, WHEN A PREVIOUS OKADA RIDER COMES TO ROB YOU AT NIGHT.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dammytosh: 11:55am On Oct 10, 2012
NONSENSE.

The Day is near when the poor will have nothing to eat except the rich.

Foolish Government, the tenant law that the rich Landlords are breaking, no house has been siezed.

I have always known that LAW is for the POOR , HELPLESS and HOMELESS.

Welcome another 3000 potential miscreants and Armed Robbers to the street. Some of these bikes were bought with the termination fee paid some people who lost their jobs and the Government is busy crushing and recycling
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 11:56am On Oct 10, 2012
LADI_baba: I wonder who said Lagos is for everyone? I believe no one forced you to stay in Lagos. If you don't have any source of livelihood why not return to where you are from No one is above the law.

DOES RETURNING TO A STATE, WHERE THE PERSON IS FROM, GUARANTY EMPLOYMENT? AND WHO IS LAGOS FOR? SO AS SOON AS THE PERSON RETURNS TO THE STATE WHERE THEY COME FROM, THEY ARE AUTOMATICALLY EMPLOYED ? ARE YOU SAYING THE OKADA RIDERS ARE NOT FROM LAGOS ? WHAT A PRIMITIVE WAY OF THINKING .
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dammytosh: 11:58am On Oct 10, 2012
olumidazz: Why not fine them heavily, the govt. Has deprived 3000 people of their means of livelihood, to me this is jungle justice tantamount to UNIPORT 4.

Yes i cant agree less. Same jungle justice every where but in different modes.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Biggyd2: 11:59am On Oct 10, 2012
And for those who dislike the laws of this state and want to leave, maybe it will be advisable to take along all you have contributed to the state along with you. And for Lagos indigenes who don't like the law(s), I wonder which other state will accept you. Just saying. undecided
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by naptu2: 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2012
I've been studying these options for a long time.

1) Government does nothing = People complain that Lagos is disorganised and backward.

2) Government imposes fines = People complain that government is only interested in collecting revenue (making money for government).

The fines are easily overtaken by chronic inflation = they no longer serve as a deterrent (people will happily break the law and pay fines) and people complain that government is not doing anything.

3) Government sets up drivers institute, rehabilitation centres and conducts psychiatric tests for offenders = People complain that government is being authoritarian and violating human rights.

4) Government imposes harsh punishment in order to compel people to act responsibly = People complain that government is imposing draconian punishments.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by olivertwist: 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2012
‘80% of accidents in Lagos linked to okada’

SEPTEMBER 24, 2012 BY RASHEED BISIRIYU

Over 80 per cent of road accidents recorded in Lagos State have a link with motorcycles, the state government has said.

The Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Ade Ipaiye, stated this in Lagos at a stakeholders’ forum on the new traffic law organised for local government officials.

Ipaiye, who spoke through Mr. Olanrewaju Akinsola, said the figure was the outcome of a recent research conducted by the Ministry of Health.

He also said about 25 per cent of crimes committed in the state were aided by commercial motorcycle operators otherwise called okada riders.

The commissioner said no responsible government would continue to watch the rising spate of robberies being caused by the okada operators.

He stated that the state government was concerned about the situation, hence its decision to enact the traffic law.

According to him, the law is meant to regulate commercial motorcycle business and also to sanitise the public transport system in the state.

He noted that the traffic law was not entirely new, recalling that it was first enacted in 1949 to serve only about 300,000 people in the state.

He said the state’s population is currently 18 million.

The commissioner stressed that the old traffic law, having been amended six times, needed to be fine-tuned in line with the current situation.

“When a law has been amended several times, there are bound to be issues of ambiguity,” he said.

Beside security, he said that the new law would also address issues of standard, safety and sanity.

He also spoke on the use of motorcycles by courier service companies.

He said only approved motorbikes, with 200cc engines, would be allowed, just as he added that the riders must use the right number plate, attach mail cabin and carry no passengers on their bikes.

“You will also apply to the commissioner for a permit,” he said.

The commissioner explained that the 200cc engine was approved based on the recommendation of experts that that was the minimum engine capacity for commuting.

Although he said the government did not outlaw the operation of commercial motorcycles, he warned that the business must be done in accordance with the law.

Ipaye also said no branding of commercial vehicles operating in the state would be allowed outside the approved state colour.

Rearing of animals on the road, hawking in the traffic, begging and washing of vehicles have now been banned, he said.

He added that selling of alcoholic drink and herbal concoction would no longer be allowed within the 100 metres of any bus stop and motor park.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by omar22(m): 12:02pm On Oct 10, 2012
Its called obeying the law, its not that they seize the bikes willy Nilly, this is done all over the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNLQ86Cg1FE&feature=player_embedded

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by drzed: 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Does this make sense?

So will Fashola's government now crush my Jeep if I disobey traffic law and abandon the car because I dey fear teeth-gnashing LASTMA people? Why do we like oppressing the small man on the street?

Let us ask some real hard questions here. This is democracy not dictatorship. I think it is a breach of the bike owners' rights. Someone should please tell me which existing state or federal law allows Lagos State Government to destroy the property/vehicle of owners simply because they ran away.

Do you know how many potential armed robbers are now roaming the streets of Lagos because they have lost their livelihoods? What is wrong with: (1) asking the bike owners to come and claim their bikes - and pay some fines? (2) auctioning these bikes to raise revenue, no matter how small; and (3) donating these bikes to other law abiding citizens? What is wrong with doing any of these 3 options?

Bottom line is committing a traffic offence should not lead citizens into running away. There must be something wrong with the way LASTMA people handle such cases for someone to abandon a 45 to 60,000 worth bike. Or maybe the fines are draconian. What will these people now do for a living?

Anyway, that these bikes were abandoned by the owners upon sighting the law enforcement officials is not an excuse to descend into such destructive spree. Also, the economic benefits of recycling the crushed metallic parts cannot outweigh the usefulness of the bikes, most of which I am sure can still last up to 10 years, given the skills of our mechanics.

People dey talk say our problem is not policy making but implementation: can you now see stewpid implementation of a law? Either way, it is the economy and security of Lagos State that will suffer the consequences of destroying these bikes. Fashola should call his people to order. And if he sanctioned this, I weep for Nigeria. Two steps forward, two steps back. As usual. I think this destruction is just eye-service, so that you and me will say "hmmm, Fashola's govt is working...this people mean business"

Mtcheewww. I am disappointed. And there I was, thinking there were educated people in Fashola's cabinet. How is this progressive?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by mekaboy(m): 12:11pm On Oct 10, 2012
YES 80% OF ACCIDENTS ARE LINKED TO OKADA. 50% OF CRIME IS ALSO LINKED TO OKADA.

BUT 99.9% OF OKADA RIDERS, DO THAT BECAUSE OF UNEMPLOYMENT. 99% OF UNEMPLOYMENT IN NIGERIA IS CAUSED BY CORRUPTION IN THE SAME GOVT.

SO BOTH OKADA ACCIDENT AND ARMED ROBBERY, ARE CAUSED BY UNEMPLOYMENT, WHICH IS CAUSED BY CORRUPT GOVT.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 12:12pm On Oct 10, 2012
naptu2: I've been studying these options for a long time.

1) Government does nothing = People complain that Lagos is disorganised and backward.

2) Government imposes fines = People complain that government is only interested in collecting revenue (making money for government).

The fines are easily overtaken by chronic inflation = they no longer serve as a deterrent (people will happily break the law and pay fines) and people complain that government is not doing anything.

3) Government sets up drivers institute, rehabilitation centres and conducts psychiatric tests for offenders = People complain that government is being authoritarian and violating human rights.

4) Government imposes harsh punishment in order to compel people to act responsibly = People complain that government is imposing draconian punishments.

The thing tire me too. Nigeria's biggest problem is it's people. From thence the government emerges. Are LASTMA officials not our own people? The same poor masses. Are those charging N200 before selling fuel to you from their pumps that are already dispensing below a litre not part of us? Does the government fix house rent rates for landlords? Do they increase bus fares just because it rained? NO! Our dog eat dog mentality is what is killing us as a nation. Our leaders are just products of the larger society. They are who we are.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by sylve11: 12:13pm On Oct 10, 2012
liyalla: over 3000 peoples lives are now spared,wat do U think?

And if accident is ur point when u say 'spared', what becomes the fate of those in 2 molue bus, that collides each other and everybody in each of the molues kpeme? As for me, I feel for those okada riders. Life ain't easy and destroying one's source of income isn't a joy to behold. Or are vehicles not going against the traffic rules? cool
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 12:16pm On Oct 10, 2012
omar22: Its called obeying the law, its not that they seize the bikes willy Nilly, this is done all over the world

Thank you sir! We Nigerians always feel these things don't happen elsewhere. Try eating and driving in the State of California and see what will happen.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 12:17pm On Oct 10, 2012
sylve11:

And if accident is ur point, what do u think of 2 molues colliding each other and everybody in each of the molues kpeme? cool

And how often do you see that happen?
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by sylve11: 12:23pm On Oct 10, 2012
dabossman:

And how often do you see that happen?

Undermine my post, go and see the edited version, pls.

And asking how often I see that? Take note that Most of the accidents on the high ways are not caused by okadas. cool
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Olaone1: 12:25pm On Oct 10, 2012
omar22: Its called obeying the law, its not that they seize the bikes willy Nilly, this is done all over the world

In some cases in the UK, it's actually cheaper to abandon the car than pay the fine. Thus, a very different scenario.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Owes 70,000 Workers Three-month Salaries / Subsidy Fraud: How Eternal Oil MD, Others Forged Documents To Defraud FG / APC Omitted From INEC Results Sheet In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.