Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. (5385 Views)

Mohammed Barkindo Nominated For OPEC Secretary-General By FG / Nazim Mimiko Nominated To Replace Jega From March 1, 2015 / Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by PHIPEX(m): 8:44am On Oct 10, 2012
Lagos has been nominated for the Most Innovative City of the Year award. The city has been nominated with 24 other global cities.

South Africa's Cape Town is the only other African city on the list.

Other nominated cities are London, Bratislava, Hong Kong, New York, Hamburg, Toronto, Copenhagen, Singapore, Sao Paulo, Shenzhen, Vienna, Medellin, Atlanta, Tel Aviv, Chicago, Vancouver, Berlin, San Francisco, Seattle, Raleigh-Durham, Melbourne and Boston.

According to the organizers, the competition tests the ability of the nominated cities to re-imagine themselves. The 25 cities have succeeded in exhibiting a sustained and growing commitment to development.

The competition is sponsored by Citigroup in partnership with the Urban Land Institute. It recognises places where people, passion and ingenuity are shaping efforts to build sustainable and liveable cities.

“The Urban Land Institute used selected criteria to identify the initial 200 most innovative cities. The list was then narrowed down to 25 cities after an online vote by the general public and readers of the Wall Street Journal,” De Lille said.

The competition is now in its second phase, in which all 25 cities compete for a place on the shortlist of three finalists. The three cities with the highest number of votes will be announced at the Wall Street Journal Magazine Innovator of the Year Awards on October 18.

Thereafter, voting will resume until December 31, 2012 to determine the winning city, which will be announced in the Wall Street Journal Magazine early next year.

People can cast their votes online at www.wsj.com/ad/cityoftheyear

http://businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/284-breaking-news/45642-lagos-nominated-for-most-innovative-city-of-the-year-award

Let's hear some good news once in a while.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 10, 2012
Nice one though there are still rooms for improvement. I think this fashola guy has got some good initiatives for real...

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by ichommy(m): 9:11am On Oct 10, 2012
ALUU is not on the list?

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by EzePromoe: 9:12am On Oct 10, 2012
What of Aba? cry
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Standing5(m): 9:13am On Oct 10, 2012
IS LAG REALLY A CITY OR A MET?
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by dridowu: 9:13am On Oct 10, 2012
EKO ONI BAJE OOOOOO

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by jigawatts(m): 9:14am On Oct 10, 2012
ichommy: ALUU is not on the list?

cry cry cry BAD MEMORIES cry cry cry
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by mrperfect(m): 9:14am On Oct 10, 2012
This is good news.
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Cyberknight: 9:16am On Oct 10, 2012
There is a city called Lagos in Portugal, after which Lagos in Nigeria was named. Question: which city was nominated, Lagos in Portugal, abi Lagos Nigeria? The city of overflowing gutters, uncontrollable agberos and danfo drivers, no public transport, unlicensed street markets, slums and filth? And ACN?

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Afam4eva(m): 9:19am On Oct 10, 2012
I really don't see the basis for calling Lagos the most innovative city...what does that even mean?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Andybaby: 9:21am On Oct 10, 2012
LAGOS won't be a mega city as per infrastructure but will have a mega city if eko atlantic is completed. The entire lagos is damaged beyond repairs not because of any lazity on the part of the Government but due to human problems like poverty and illiteracy being at the forefront of this challenge. For example it is pitiable to note that Makoko is a big stain on the reemerging new face of Lagos initiated by Gov. Fashola. People are not responsive to development, I see a lot of the beautification efforts of this present administration become a refuse dump, some people have total destroyed the beautification barricades, dumping of refuse into drainages, slum areas and filty urban squalor, people are littering the streets with dirt and don't participate in environmental sanitation of their houses, people still building pit latrine in the 21st century. Lagos problem is beyond a responsive Government trying to develop the State. P O V E R T Y is too much. Let's accept our fate that Lagos won't be a mega city. All the infrastructure are already delabilitated, and need rehablitation

1 Like

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by BrutusOj(m): 9:26am On Oct 10, 2012
FASHOLA is working LAGOS is MOVING grin grin
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by peckhamboi: 9:26am On Oct 10, 2012
May God bless Fashola and ACN for putting my city on the map.

Haters go and die.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by sambos994(m): 9:28am On Oct 10, 2012
Andy-baby:
LAGOS won't be completely be a mega city as per infrastructure but will have a mega city if eko atlantic is completed. The entire lagos is damaged beyond repairs not because of any lazity on the part of the Government but due to human problems like poverty and illiteracy being at the forefront of this challenge. For example it is pitiable to note that Makoko is a big stain on the reemerging new face of Lagos initiated by Gov. Fashola

Hence Makoko was demolished.
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by pheesayor(m): 9:30am On Oct 10, 2012
people like you will cry foul if the slums and unlicensed street markets (which are illegal by the way) are demolished by the same govt, remember Makoko??
Cyberknight: There is a city called Lagos in Portugal, after which Lagos in Nigeria was named. Question: which city was nominated, Lagos in Portugal, abi Lagos Nigeria? The city of overflowing gutters, uncontrollable agberos and danfo drivers, no public transport, unlicensed street markets, slums and filth? And ACN?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Abujafood: 9:31am On Oct 10, 2012
Lagos should eventually make the top 3, I hope!
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by earthgreeners(m): 9:36am On Oct 10, 2012
Cyberknight: There is a city called Lagos in Portugal, after which Lagos in Nigeria was named. Question: which city was nominated, Lagos in Portugal, abi Lagos Nigeria? The city of overflowing gutters, uncontrollable agberos and danfo drivers, no public transport, unlicensed street markets, slums and filth? And ACN?

bad belle, go hold high tension wire

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by earthgreeners(m): 9:38am On Oct 10, 2012
afam4eva: I really don't see the basis for calling Lagos the most innovative city...what does that even mean?

go thru d the post
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Rooneyboy(m): 10:38am On Oct 10, 2012
Which Lagos ?
The one in Nigeria?
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Smartjeezy(m): 11:19am On Oct 10, 2012
Eze Promoe: What of Aba? cry
grin
Ask google or wikipedia...
Aba ko,okija ni.(idiota)
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by solomon111(m): 11:33am On Oct 10, 2012
Lagos,one of the worst cities to live in.
Very funny.
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by gidiMonsta(m): 11:45am On Oct 10, 2012
afam4eva: I really don't see the basis for calling Lagos the most innovative city...what does that even mean?

If u don't know what it means how can you see the basis?
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Afam4eva(m): 11:46am On Oct 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

If u don't know what it means how can you see the basis?

I'm thinking there's a new meaning of "Innovative", because Lagos does not it into the definition that i know.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Werehkpe: 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2012

ODE! Oponu!! Or-lor-porlor dudu.

Did u read the post well at all?

it says "South Africa's Cape Town is the only [size=15pt]other African[/size] city on the list."

Please read well next time, b4 commenting F.O.O.L ishly

1 Like

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 10, 2012

Stop been a hater and learn how to appreciate good things once in a while. We all know that good news is hard to come by in our nation, so it's important we embrace and project the good aspects of our society. I'm not a lagosian, but am happy for the city. Lagos is a very innovative city, abi, you haven't heard of the young 26 years old chap who dropped out of school and now runs his very own 1 billion naira ICT firm. Besides when a report says lagos, it's always lagos, nigeria. The lagos in portugal is a small town and can never be compared to lagos nigeria.

N.b, it's important we all be the change we want to see as our leaders are a reflection of our society.
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by gidiMonsta(m): 12:28pm On Oct 10, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm thinking there's a new meaning of "Innovative", because Lagos does not it into the definition that i know.

innovate  (ˈɪnəˌveɪt) 

— vb
to invent or begin to apply (methods, ideas, etc)

[C16: from Latin innovāre to renew, from in- ² + novāre to make new, from novus new]

innovative

— adj

Do you live in Lagos?
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Afam4eva(m): 12:35pm On Oct 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

innovate  (ˈɪnəˌveɪt) 

— vb
to invent or begin to apply (methods, ideas, etc)

[C16: from Latin innovāre to renew, from in- ² + novāre to make new, from novus new]

innovative

— adj

Do you live in Lagos?
Maybe you should start by telling us some of the innovations that Lagos has made that qualifies them for this award.

Btw, i live in LasGidi.
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by RickyRoss1(m): 12:45pm On Oct 10, 2012
As usual, them bloooody fools and haters will never be happy to hear any good news coming from Nigeria.
I wonder what you animals are still doing in Nigeria. Pack your bags and relocate to Togo or even Rwanda, we will never miss loosers likle you.
I am neither Yorobah nor ACN member, but honestly Fashola has done very well for Lagos and I give it to him. I praise people when they are praise worthy. Those who do not like this kind of news should go hug the next transformer.
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Halogen50(m): 12:46pm On Oct 10, 2012
Wereh kpe:

ODE! Oponu!! Or-lor-porlor dudu.

Did u read the post well at all?

it says "South Africa's Cape Town is the only [size=15pt]other African[/size] city on the list."

Please read well next time, b4 commenting F.O.O.L ishly

@cyberknight was just being cynical
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Lex1(m): 12:53pm On Oct 10, 2012

Aba ke? You must be Mr Ibu. The cities listed above in the article is not just based on innovation alone... Environment, infastructures n development are considered also.
Aba is the dirties city in the world, no good air to breath in there.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Ucheosefoh(m): 1:01pm On Oct 10, 2012
dridowu: EKO ONI BAJE OOOOOO
EKO GO BETA OOOOOO
Re: Lagos Nominated For The Most Innovative City Of The Year Award. by Gbawe: 1:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ricky_Ross: As usual, them bloooody fools and haters will never be happy to hear any good news coming from Nigeria.
I wonder what you animals are still doing in Nigeria. Pack your bags and relocate to Togo or even Rwanda, we will never miss loosers likle you.
I am neither Yorobah nor ACN member, but honestly Fashola has done very well for Lagos and I give it to him. I praise people when they are praise worthy. Those who do not like this kind of news should go hug the next transformer.

Thank you oh !! Innovation , as one example of many, would be Lagos gaining a new Modern rail system that is the only one of its kind in West Africa. Man tire for the negativity of Nigerians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Light_Rail

Lagos Light Rail is a light rail system being developed in Lagos, Nigeria. The system (the first modern rail-based public transport in Sub-Saharan Africa outside of South Africa) is being sponsored by the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) and is envisioned to consist eventually of seven lines.[1] The railway equipment including electric power, signalling, rolling stock, and fare collection equipment will be provided by the private sector under a Concession Contract. LAMATA is responsible for policy direction, regulation, and infrastructure for the network.[2] The concessionaire will generate its own dedicated electricity.[3]

(1) (2) (Reply)

BPP Certifies Manitoba Contract / VIDEO - 2 Suspected Boko Haram Members Burned Alive / One Term Presidency: NTA Video Exposes The Lies Of President Jonathan [WATCH]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.