Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,400 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

#DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ (19423 Views)

What Is The Ideal Number Of Rounds Of Sex A Man Should Go? / Things Every Man Should Learn To Do / Weekend Debate: A Man Is Right To Assert His. . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

#DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 10, 2012

Hello everyone, and welcome to the debate on the romance section of Nairaland entitled A MAN SHOULD ASSERT HIS AUTHORITY/SUPERIORITY IN A RELATIONSHIP. The debate will be contested by selected members who indicated their willingness and interest in this debate. They will seek to convince us with their well researched points. . .

~<< Date & Time: Friday October 12 2012, 4:00PM >>~

The debaters would be judged individually by Content, presentation style/ delivery, grammatical correctness, sentence construction, clarity, fluency, sound reasoning and the ability to carry the audience along.

There will be 3 rounds of debating.

The debaters would post their arguments in round one.

After that, the judges would award points to each of the individual debaters and then, the debaters with the lowest of points from each side will be eliminated.

The successful debaters into the next round would be paired up.

After round one, they would only reply to whoever it is they were paired up with. For instance, if sexkillz was paired up with Jaybee, for the second round, jaybee would post a reply/counter argument to what sexkillz had written in round one and sexkillz would post a reply/counter argument to what jaybee had written as well in round one. . .

Debaters are entitled to 2 posts each addressing the issue in round two. The 3rd and subsequent posts will not count!

Debaters are entitled to 3 posts each in Round 3.

Individual points will be collated and then, the side with the highest scores win.

The debaters with the highest individual score wins the individual category.

It promises to be fun and educative if we pay attention to the rules.

Debaters should avoid any kind of insulting words.

Reply only to the opposing member you were paired with to maintain orderliness.

Failure to adhere will attract a penalty.

The audience can cheer their favorite debater on, make some side comments but should please refrain from contributing to the debate. The moderator reserves the right to delete irrelevant comments.

Once the debate has started, it will be too late to request to join.

The judges will be basing their judgement and awarding points on:

Content: 5 points

Presentation style/delivery: 5 points

Grammatical correctness: 5 points

Sentence construction: 5 points

Clarity/Fluency: 5 points

Sound Reasoning: 5 points

Logical Development of Argument: 5 points

Effective Conclusion: 5 points

Therefore the maximum points a debaters can accrue is 40 points per round.

The side with the highest number of collective individual points, win.

Judges will not interrupt the debate. They would only post individual scores after each round. And they would do this before the commencement of each round except the first round.

This was set up by someone imperfect and who is open to corrections, so pls, after the debate is over, your suggestions would be welcomed on this thread or via PM.

1 Like

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 11, 2012
Supporting team:

Lolaabokoku
dont8
pleep
jigwe101
2buff
bennyraz
MRbrownJAY
delkuf
ayobase

Opposing team:

skydeep
goofie
Mrs Chima
uj sizzle
candygosh
acidosis
pearl~hapi
cowgurl
ileke-idi
kandiikane

These are our participants for the debate today.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 11, 2012
I want to appeal to the contestants. . . Since we would be having a total of 18 opening arguments, i want to pls ask the supporting team to post their argument in color Blue and the opposing team in Red. This is to enhance the view of the judges.

Thank you for your cooperation.

1 Like

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 12, 2012
Our esteemed judges for today:

Rocktation

AmBeautiful

gree-die

D-Explorer

Ijebabe

Crazyman

Shollypopz
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
Audience, your participation is limited. Attempts to intentionally derail this debate will be harshly dealt with.

Let's cooperate with one another, pls.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 12, 2012
Debate is officially open. . . Pls post your opening arguments.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by skydeep(f): 4:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
sexkillz: Debate is officially open. . . Pls post your opening arguments.
who will start?
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 12, 2012

All protocols observed ( gentlemen, ladies, judges and my attentive readers )..

Speaking to you this day is acidosis, the only male opposing the notion, "a man is right to assert his superiority in a relationship".

Sincerely speaking, I do not know where this gross misinformation come from. Love is not a jumbled expression involving old notions picked up here and there, faulty conclusions based on personal experience or flawed reasonings due to cultural, ancestral and fetish influences. It is expected of a man in a romantic relationship to love his lady, this kind of love means a powerful affinity, devotion and desire with genuine concern for the interests and needs of the one being loved. This love suggests a volitional act , not a violational type which entails male domination gingered by a commandant spirit which in turn produce wife-beaters.

A man in a romantic relationship should not see himself as an absolute dictatorial Monarch, or a boss over a servant. His roles is chiefly that of loving responsibility and a demostration of a self giving life to the woman.

My dear listeners/audience, I have searched the whole world widely through the web but am yet to see a verse where a man is licensed to assert authority like a dictatorial monarch upon his spouse - not even in the Bible/ Encyclopaedia Britanica. Ladies are only encouraged to submit to their men but a man does not have the right to demand, assert or extract submission authoritatively.
Submission is HER choice— her responsibility… it is NOT his right!! Not ever. She is to “submit herself”—
deciding when and how to submit is her call. In an ideal relationship the focus is never on rights, but on personal responsibility. It’s his
responsibility to be affectionate. It’s her responsibility to be agreeable.

Positionally, a man is the head of the family. However his headship is not to be equated with rulership and lordship and even the human body understand this fact. The body comprises of the Head, Trunk and limbs. I've studied both the anatomical and physiological functions of the body and categorically speaking the Head is nothing but an experimental specimen without the trunk. In this manner, a man has no right to demand either obedience from the bone of his bone or assert superiority with muscles and ligaments directly and indirectly.

However, this is not a call for women liberation but a delusional smiley liberation of men from assertive calls in RELATIONSHIPS!

Thank you for your attention!..

12 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
skydeep:
who will start?
anyone at all. Just post your argument in your color
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 12, 2012
my guns are loaded, and ready to be fired, let me just polish them for a few last mins, lol!
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 4:10pm On Oct 12, 2012
I'm here oo. Lemme get this bloody modem working. I think MTN is conspiring against me
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
Bennyraz walks to the Podium amidst Cheers:

Clears Throat

Distinguished ladies & gentlemen, Panelist, Judges, Moderators, all other protocols

Observed.

Without further ado, It is right for a man to assert his superiority in a relationship

because he was created to be stronger, decisive, wise and firm by God.

We have the word Relation + Ship coming together to form relationship. So definitely, there

as to be one captain in a relationship between a man and a woman. If there are two captains,

the Relation-ship will definitely capsize.The primary objective of the captain is to sail

the relation-ship to it's destination.

A man can be likened to a captain of a ship. If it takes assertion to sail the Relationship

to its destination, so be it, they are hard choices but a man has to do what he has to do

without showing emotions.. mind you, a man is not a weak vessel, a man isn't scared by

roaches or spiders a man is bold fearless being.

A man can be likened to a Pilot of an Aeroplane. What is the primary objective of the Pilot?

to fly an Aeroplane to its destination. Often times, a pilot is supported by a CO-pilot. In

this context, a man can be said to be the Pilot of a relationship while a woman is said to

be the co-pilot. Take note of the suffix "W0"- Man", "CO"- Pilot. The sole responsibility of

the C0-pilot is to respect and follow the decision of the Pilot because the Pilot has been

delegated with the power to lead. A woman is a C0-pilot in a relationship.

Why do we have issues of Assertion in a relationship? why do Real men show their superiority

in a relationship? Most people want to know the answers to this questions. The truth is, a

man will only assert or show is superiority in a relationship when the woman in question is

not cooperative, stubborn, and disobedient.

Everyman as what he believes in, therefore it is highly important for a woman to share in

the hopes and aspiration of a man in order to have a successful relationship. Behind every

successful man, there's a supportive, Obedient, cooperative woman.

It is quite unfortunate that people are asking why marriages are failing when they shouldn't

ask because the root of most failed marriages today is caused by the Man's assertion in the

marriage. It shouldn't be a problem at all had it being the Man had cultivated the attitude

of Asserting in his relationship. And if you must know, the preparatory ground of marriage

is courtship & Relationship.

If a woman doesn't share in the beliefs of a man or if a woman doesn't want to walk in

the same footpaths as the man, there's bound to be a show of superiority either by power or

by force. And if the woman refuses to follow in the footsteps of a man it is highly

encourage for the man to work out of the relationship because it would only lead to

abuse/assault.

If as a woman, you want to be disobedient, you want to be assertive, you want to be

stubborn in a relationship, it's not a curse but you will end up being single all the days

of your life. If God wants to bless and upgrade you a little bit, you might just end up

being a single Mother.

As a wise woman, When a man asserts or shows his superiority in a relationship/marriage, you

simply humble yourselves and respect whatever he says.

With this few little words of mine, I hope have been able to make you guys understand that a

man is right to assert in a relationship.

14 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 12, 2012
Present and reporting
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 4:24pm On Oct 12, 2012

Good evening Moderator, Panel of Judges, Viewers. I am here to oppose the motion “A Man Is Right to Assert His Superiority/Authority in a Relationship”.
Before I proceed any further I will like to define some key words for the sake of clarity. English mini dictionary gives the following definitions for ‘Right, Assert, Superiority, and Authority’.

Right:
1. Morally good or justified.
2. Factually correct.

Assert:
Exercise one’s rights.

Superiority:
1. To be of higher status, quality.
2. To think oneself better than others.

Authority:
The power to order and enforce obedience.

Following these definitions I can assume that the proposition implies that a man by evidence of facts and morality can assume a position of higher status and a feeling of exaggerated importance in a relationship having the power to enforce obedience by way of influence and physical strength. This I stand to disagree with. It is of importance to note that for an action to be termed as ‘right’ it must have evidence of fact and moral justification.

A relationship is a connection between two people. For a relationship to exist there has to be an understanding between both party each having their individual responsibility, with both working together to sustain it. For a man to totally assume that his role is of more importance than his partner’s is completely unacceptable. Most people will agree that without a willing cooperation on both sides a relationship is bound to fail. In the marital strata women have been known to contribute their fair share of time and energy in their relationships. In intimate relationships that exists outside marriage it is completely difficult to find a man who is willing to have a girlfriend he’s spending money on without expecting some benefits in return.

Taking a journey down history, women have been treated as the inferior and less important sex, and within their relationships taken as slaves rather than companions. But following the international women conference of the 1800’s an act was enacted for the equality of the sexes and today the world and especially the family is reaping the benefits. Within Nigeria, women have always played a significant role in their families as custodians and builders. They have worked alongside their men; earned wages and these wages accepted as a contribution to their relationships, have nurtured and cared for their men bringing to mind a popular saying that “behind a successful man is a woman”, this goes to emphasize the importance of a woman in a relationship.

Taking a drift to religion, my opponents may argue that they have divine authority to assert superiority and authority but I beg to differ. Let us take a look at creation and the divine mandate.
Genesis 1:28
“And God blessed them (male and female). And God said to them, ‘…subdue the earth and have dominion over everything that moves’. “

Genesis 2:24
“…and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.”

Can anyone be kind enough to point out where any of these scriptures specifically says a man is to have superiority (dominion) and authority (subdue) over his partner? It does not in anywhere state that but instead encourages unity and equality (becoming one flesh) in a relationship.

Every man seeks a companion out of an innate need for a helper and a friend. Do you go about treating a friend like a slave or do you treat her like an equal knowing she is adding value to you? Any man seeking to express his natural desire to possess and subdue will be better off acquiring a pet.

I hope in subsequent rounds to fully convince you without a trace of doubt that a man is not right either by reason, law or divinity to assert his superiority and authority in a relationship.
Thank you.

9 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
*Waiting for other participants* smiley
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by skydeep(f): 4:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
Good day judges, co-debaters and my wonderful viewers. I am here to oppose the motion which says "A MAN SHOULD ASSERT HIS AUTHORITY/SUPERIORITY IN A RELATIONSHIP". My name is Skydeep cool.

First, let me define "superior". Oxford dictionary defines superior as" higher in status, quality or power or thinking one is better than others".
With the above definition, one can say that a man being superior in a relationship can disregard his partner's emotions and thoughts and this can put a marriage at risk of being negatively affected by his beliefs in the following ways:
He will more likely to disregard her thoughts and opinions. This may be seen as disrespectful or demeaning by his partner. For a marriage to be succesful, there need to be mutual respect, trust and good communication between you and your partner-all the things that you are undermining by acting Macho. Treat your wife as an equal while also supporting her and your marriage will grow stronger.
Men with this superiority complex tend to make decisions without consulting their partners which can make the wife feel insignificant in the relationship. Being open to discuss financial issues as a couple will keep your relationship on good terms.
Male superiority can lead to Asperity to the husband and can also lead to violence in the relationship. I hope I have convinced the judges and viewers that male superiority in a relationship is a no no. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 12, 2012
To the honourable Judges, Moderator, my fellow delegates and the entire nairalanders. A very good evening to you.

Am candygosh and am opposing the topic "a man is right to assert his superiority/authority in a relationship.
Before I commence my opposition, I would like to enlighthen us by defining these keywords : assert, superiority/authority, and relationship.

ASSERT (according to merriam webster) means to state or declare positive and often FORCEFULLY or AGGRESSIVELY.

2. SUPERIORITY(according to merriam webster) means high rank and AUTHORITY means a power to influence or command t hought, opinion or behaviour.

3.RELATIONSHIP(according to oxford) is an emotional and sexual association between two people.

First, an healthy relationship is not determined by the time spent together, the fun, care but its defined by the respect, communication and attitude which in turns leads to happiness.
Anthony Robbins once said " the quality of your life is the quality of your relationship". Happiness is the best thing in a relationship.

Once a man asserts his authority in a relationship, he becomes manipulative and judgemental. And I tell you, the moment a man becomes manipulative in a relationship so many things would go wrong such as
- creation of fear(the other partner wouldn't have the freedom to express her own opinion and emotions)
- happiness deserts such relationship.

Exerting superiority in a relationship brings about an aggressive behaviour which focuses on controlling and being right over the other partner.

Not forgetting that an authoritative man would be a jealous man. A relationship would do no good to the other partner since a jealous man as they say is a possessive man.
In one of François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld quote in maxims 1665 he says " in jealousy there is more self-love than love"

No doubt, an authoritative man becomes jealous, manipulative and becomes dangerous as well.
We've seen cases of a man hurt his partner either by throwing acid on her or by bucthering her and God knows what other inhumane suffering.
As oscar wilde once said " what man is rich enough to buy back his past"
Can the dead tell their woeful tale and change their past? Can such woman who was a victim of such come back from death to tell her story?

Lastly, a successful relationship is one without boundaries and assertiveness. Each partner respects each others decision. But when one partner becomes assertive and authoritative over the other

Can such relationship be successful?
Can a woman find peace with an authoritative man?
Can an authoritative partner be a listening type?

These questions begging for answers I leave till the next round when I shall convince you further that "a man is not right to assert his authority in a relationship"
Till then I leave with a quote from Oprah Winfrey " don't settle for a relationship that won't let you be yourself"
Thank you!

3 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
good evening ladies and gentleman, here is my contribution to this debate:

First we have to understand the question....... a man is right to ASSERT his superiority/authority in marriage.
ASSERT is the important word here.

ASSERT:as·sert (-sûrt)
tr.v. as·sert·ed, as·sert·ing, as·serts
1. To state or express positively; affirm: asserted his innocence.
2. To defend or maintain (one's rights, for example).

So before we start this debate, we should all understand that to ASSERT anything, you have to possess that character/faculty. so let's look at how we (men) automatically got that authority/superiority in marriage, before we could ever think of asserting it. To do so we have to look at MARRIAGE. Marriage is the union of two individual who want to grown and share their lives together, build a strong bond/unit, in order to strive for the future as a family. Like anything else out there, marriage can only function PROPERLY, if all the participants UNDERSTAND and ACCEPT their duties in that said unit, and fulfill them to the best of their abilities. There is no need to dwell on WHAT these duties are, as it is irrelevant to this debate. What is important here is to understand that both participant want to achieve the best for that said union.

Just like any partnership/organization, we all know that in order to avoid mayhem and chaos, you need to have a dedicated person who will have the ultimate say on any disagreement. There can be NO PEACE in any partnership/organization/union if a dedicated "leader" is not chosen. To have a leader DOES NOT mean that this person is better than others, it simply means that this dedicated person would be the one who who has the ultimate say on all the necessary important decision, bring order and control to the unit, "if" some disagreements should arise. Sadly, it is socially inadequate/wrong (in most of the world that we live in today), to have a woman in charge in matrimony. She may be the silent leader inside the home, but to the outside world, she must submit and let that man be viewed as the leader. A marriage with a woman being in charge will AUTOMATICALLY be viewed as abnormal by society (unless you live in some Scandinavian countries etc)

So do men really have authority?! no, but this is how great marriages have been portrayed through generations and generations. Society wants it to look that way.....and many of us grew up under such school of thought (daddy went to work and put food on the table, while mommy took care of the children/home). Many are conditioned to believe that this is how a good home should be; how a "real" man is pictured; how a great family function.
Let's all remember that just because daddy has the ultimate say, DOES NOT mean mommy cannot put her input in the family affairs. so really, when people want to assert their Authority/superiority, they simply want to put a certain foundation in marriage that we all know has been successful for centuries. the important question IS: is that such a bad thing? can there really be two cooks in one kitchen?!

The sad fact of this matter is that many people mistakingly believe that being the "leader" in matrimony means to have power over another, to dismiss whatever comes out of their brain etc....which is not true. It simply is a way for women to show devotion to their union (although the points they may bring to the table will always be evaluated). Just because a wife allows her husband to be in charge of the union, does NOT mean that this person has power over her, it simply means that you trust that person's judgment, and let them be the ultimate say in the affairs of that said family, in order to not have chaos in this partnership/organization/union. A submissive wife can still give her opinion/say in a marriage, and bring great points to the table to make the union better, so long as she understands who will have the ultimate say if disagreements were to come about. This is one of the main characters sought after by most men looking for a good wife......to be submissive.

many will be quick to say that there could be a power sharing in marriage, but that can only happen when both participants are well grounded and very open minded, and sadly, not many have such characters.

So, now that we understand where men AUTOMATICALLY got the authority/superiority status in marriage, lets look at WHY someone would want to assert it:

- It could simply be that the social environment where they reside DEMANDS for that, as we all know that many societies look at men as the BOSS, the
head of the family, the one in charge...... And therefore if a man is NOT that way, he will be seen as "less of a man". all women should understand this one, as i am sure most wouldnt want their husband to be seen as less of a man. being called less of a man is counter-productive to their unit, as many Alpha males may test the strength of the bond of that union.
if a man is not viewed properly in any said society, then his wife will also suffer the same prejudice, thus having other men disrespect her in many ways.

- It could also be because of power.
Due to the fact that a man bring much more to a union (financially), he may believe that he has the upper hand and can decide on whats best for
this r/ship (or not). This is a common occurance when men dont see the value of women who care for the home, raise children, cook and clean, instead of bringing a pay check.

- it could be that this man paid his bride price, therefore believes that he owns his wife.
Sadly, we have to blame society for this, and all the parents who gladly sell off their daughters, like she is some commodity via "bride price". here is how some men think: IF I BUY SOMETHING; I OWN IT! therefore if i pay bride price, i own that women. Any person who owns something automatically has authority over it.

- It could also be that his wife is not performing well in her dedicated duties.
many men MUST assert their authorities because some wives decide (after marriage) to not perform the duties that were assigned to them. So men MUST assert their authority in order to bring that said lady back to her intended state of mind/character.

- It could be that his wife is doing something that is UNACCEPTABLE in marriage.
Many women may want to do things that is regarded as unacceptable behaviors for married women (such unacceptable behaviors should be discussed BEFORE marriage). So, a man needs to step in and take the bull by the horn, and set this lady straight so she doesnt forget who she is. If after asserting his authority, this lady still wants to live her unacceptable lifestyle, then this man needs to separate himself from such lady, and go find a lady that fits his requirements.

- We all know that many women out there will push their luck, and try out their men to understand how much nonsense they can get away with. The only way to solve such issue is for a man to ASSERT his authority and let that lady know that her husband will not take any nonsense from her.

- And last but not least, RELIGION also has a big part to play in this matter, because it is clearly written in the Bible/Qur'an that a man should always have authority over women.

So this is why I believe that men SHOULD assert their authority/superiority in marriage, if it is required in their union.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by MrsChima1(f): 4:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
I am present!

Can I post my argument?
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
I am present!

Can I post my argument?
Go ahead pls.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
i guess Mrs C is just building a case against what we wrote.....how long it takes to do a copy and paste sef?!
the popcorn on this side are almost finished and the coke has fizzled out......COME ON!!!!!!
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by MrsChima1(f): 5:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
sexkillz: Go ahead pls.

One minute.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by delkuf(m): 5:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
Killz, am having problem with changing to blue. I beg u, let me go on with out changing the blue, pls
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by skydeep(f): 5:21pm On Oct 12, 2012
*yawns* undecided
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 12, 2012
delkuf: Killz, am having problem with changing to blue. I beg u, let me go on with out changing the blue, pls
go on
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 5:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
delkuf: Killz, am having problem with changing to blue. I beg u, let me go on with out changing the blue, pls

after copying n pasting ur thread, click on the down arrow on the 'change colour' tab. Select the colour of choice. You'll see two square bracket enclosed 'quote'. Cut the first bracket and paste it at the beginning of ur post while leaving the second one at the end.
It's not that difficult.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by MrsChima1(f): 5:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
Good morning ladies and gentles, thank you for allowing me to express my logic contribution for this debate. I hope that you find my contribution logical and factual.

The moderator asked, “ A man should assert his authority and superiority in a relationship". What relationship? Marriage? Courtship? Intimate encounter? Some debaters will say that it is a God’s given right and in religious doctrines that a man should hold authority over his household albeit confusing “head” with superiority.
I am not a religious person but I have read the bible and other religious books. According to the Bible, a man that leaves his mother and father cleaved to his wife and become “one”. How can a man hold superiority over his wife if he is “one” with his wife? Does that sound logical to you? I think not, ladies and gentlemen.

According to the synonyms of superiority, it means better, excellence, top, dominance, supremacy, and perfection. With these examples, why would a loving and spiritual imperfect man claims such adjectives that solidify his belittling attitude toward his wife?
Now let remove the religious books out the equation and focus on reality, how do humans respond to individuals that demonstrate arrogance, which means exaggerated self-opinion? We show contempt, resistance, objection, and resentment toward arrogant individuals.

Arrogance and superiority both have similar traits in attitude, mentality, behavior, and speech. How can men who demonstrate superiority over his wife expect his wife to respond like a loving wife? I believe highly in an eye for an eye. Treat me how you want to be treated. Simple.

From a personal standpoint, my husband is the head of the house and head in our family means representative of the family. I am the neck to my husband, which means supporter and second opinion. My husband knows his role as the head and I know my role as the neck. The head can’t move without the neck, and the neck can’t move without the head and without each other, the house in itself stand divided. We do not make any affecting decisions without each other and if we would to live in a house where the head has superiority and authority over the house, such marriage will not flourish. It can’t flourish if there is no support from one another. It is like a parent trying to coddle a rebellious child.

My opposing argument is simple this, a man can assert his role as the man of the house, but he can’t assert authority and superiority over his house because his wife isn’t his child. An imperfect man can’t be better or superior over another imperfect human being. Some debaters will assert that the bible said men are to assert this and that but in Ephesians 5 (KJV), it said wives submit to thy husbands as he SUBMIT TO CHRIST as Christ is the head of the church. Husbands love they wife as Christ love the church.
In Galatians (KJV), it said love is kind, gentle, longsuffering, patience, understanding, and joy. According to the love definition, how can men who submit to Christ say that he loves his wife with superior attitude?

I am glad I am blessed with a husband that understand the true meaning of love, respect, understanding, and “one”.
Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

4 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
uj_sizzle:
after copying n pasting ur thread, click on the down arrow on the 'change colour' tab. Select the colour of choice. You'll see two square bracket enclosed 'quote'. Cut the first bracket and paste it at the beginning of ur post while leaving the second one at the end.
It's not that difficult.

^^^better yet, paste your text then do CTRL+A then click on change color, and choose BLUE. et voila!
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by MrsChima1(f): 5:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
Of course my message would be hidden.

Anyway...MBJ...I am in a different time zone so I just made it just to post my argument. Anything else?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ladies: A Romantic Man, Or A Responsible Man? / Erotic Story- The Public Group Sex[a MUST READ] / Training A Lady That Isn't Your Wife In School.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.