Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,157 members, 7,807,531 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? (18785 Views)

Sterling Bank Jobs / Union Bank Jobs!urgent / Bank Jobs Are Available(zenith,first And Acces Bank) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by kosalabaro: 9:25am On Oct 11, 2012
What is happening? I used to think bank job is it!
I don't know whether people will believe me or not (as I find it hard to believe myself)
when I say that 5 'sane' friends of mine recently turned down offers of employment from banks (Zenith, UBA, Access & the new JAIZ Bank),
instead preferring low-paying jobs elsewhere!!!

Their reason - They don't want to die young!!!!

Pls I need ssincere contributions as this seems to be a new trend / development contrary to the 'norm' that bank jobs are amongst the
juicest and most sought-after jobs.

I am really, really terrified and find this new development totally inexplainable!

3 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by acidtalk: 9:46am On Oct 11, 2012
Like you said, people will find it had to believe. which sincerely i also DOUBT the story.

Nigerians being who they are, are natural risk takers. they don't mind getting employed in a bank by 8am and laid off by 5pm the same day, they will take up that job.

Either your friends are lying or you are.
Moreover, they don't just offer to employ someone if the person didn't apply for such job or am i wrong?

Abi Nigerian banks don dey do "free employment bonanza?"

21 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by ibehenryrocket(m): 11:01am On Oct 11, 2012
Speak 4 urself. Bank jobs are still highly sought after. With d growing. number of unemployed youths out there. No one will pass d offer twice
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by iyaegin: 11:03am On Oct 11, 2012
This is Obviously and irrelevantly exaggerated.
Have all d people working there now died young or do those banks or other banks for that matter now have only Old people working there who did not die young.
Please Nexxxxxxxxxt.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by 234GT(m): 12:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
Banks are the saving grace of nigerian graduates. If you get a job in an industry you have heard negative things about, it is only sensible that you take the job offer and see things for yourself. Banking is not as bad as people paint it. Graduates work 8am to 6pm for below 40k monthly, so tell me why such graduates would turn down offers of over 150k for jobs of 8am to 7pm. I am sure those banks would not have offered your friends jobs if your friends had not applied to them.

5 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by tonyx4x44(m): 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2012
I though the topic meant are people now afraid to carry out bank robberies:>

6 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Skywalker5(m): 12:31pm On Oct 11, 2012
tonyx4x44: I though the topic meant are people now afraid to carry out bank robberies:>
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by kim77: 12:31pm On Oct 11, 2012
Dont doubt the poster completly , it might be true for experienced bankers..
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by bid4rich(m): 12:31pm On Oct 11, 2012
May be they are employed as cleaner or security for 25 to 35k. Abi wetin I talk?
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by bright007(f): 12:32pm On Oct 11, 2012
I comment my reserve

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by sirp2007: 12:39pm On Oct 11, 2012
grin grin
tonyx4x44: I though the topic meant are people now afraid to carry out bank robberies:>

U wan use laff injure me

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by rayamayo: 12:40pm On Oct 11, 2012
234GT: Banks are the saving grace of nigerian graduates. If you get a job in an industry you have heard negative things about, it is only sensible that you take the job offer and see things for yourself. Banking is not as bad as people paint it. Graduates work 8am to 6pm for below 40k monthly, so tell me why such graduates would turn down offers of over 150k for jobs of 8am to 7pm. I am sure those banks would not have offered your friends jobs if your friends had not applied to them.

is any one considering the facts that these reference jobs might be marketing jobs and the potential employees may have been girls? what with the recent factual reports about banks setting targets-un-attainable- for young ladies who end up dead (suicide or otherwise) trying to achieve them or what about the girls who quite because they are expected to use their bodies to get deposits?

3 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by sylve11: 12:40pm On Oct 11, 2012

grin grin grin grin grin grin cool
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Kockane(m): 12:43pm On Oct 11, 2012
Who is afraid? Definitely not me. Dunno wen peeps wld stop bad-mouthing bank jobs on this forum. 3 different banks offered your friends jobs and dey rejected em all? Who are deir fadaz, Dangote and Otedola? Oniro oshi! angry

2 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by emmasmiles(m): 12:43pm On Oct 11, 2012
I agree wit u,to me I can't just take d offer neva. Is nt advisable 4 young guys like we
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by kodylicky(f): 12:45pm On Oct 11, 2012
I think what the poster means is dat his friends choose a job that pays lower than the banks.
that means they had options. they will rather earn less than work in a bank.
i m sure if they didnt have options, they would have gone for the bank job..

8 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by secnelly: 12:49pm On Oct 11, 2012
9ja na our fadaland... Wonders shall keep happening
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by hardbody: 12:49pm On Oct 11, 2012
You guys are just posting based on unilateral knowledge. I walked out of banking at the peak of the consolidation era. Admitted, I went into the telecoms then, but I have also since left telecoms, and although I got another offer from another bank, I turned it down and presently holding down a less prestigious job but with good sustainability. I still work long hours, very challenged, probably make lesser than a parallel position in a bank, but guys, I haven't started spotting gray hair yet and my blood level has remained constant. I shall not, under any circumstance go back to the bank for a job, no way. As a back office staff then, I had targets that were cumulatively rolled over when I failed to meet them periodically. I am happy I left never to return.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by jhydebaba(m): 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
When graduates are dying under the hot sun and gatecrashing just to get interviewed as a trainee for truck driver. Next pls!

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2012
I dont know abt freshers rejecting jobs, but I do have many bankers who happen to become my friends. Their general opinion is if they have an option with lower pay, say 75% of what they earn in the bank that they will leave bank jobs immediately. It has a lot to do with stress and targets.

2 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Rooneyboy(m): 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2012
Believe u me, having a bank job in nigeria is almost on the same pedestal as having an insurance job.

Pressure from ur employers and no job security.

What's the essence ? Its better one takes a lesser paying job with more ample time for oneself.
This way u could even start up ur own business with enough TIME @ ur disposal.

3 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by hyelhira: 1:02pm On Oct 11, 2012
hardbody: You guys are just posting based on unilateral knowledge. I walked out of banking at the peak of the consolidation era. Admitted, I went into the telecoms then, but I have also since left telecoms, and although I got another offer from another bank, I turned it down and presently holding down a less prestigious job but with good sustainability. I still work long hours, very challenged, probably make lesser than a parallel position in a bank, but guys, I haven't started spotting gray hair yet and my blood level has remained constant. I shall not, under any circumstance go back to the bank for a job, no way. As a back office staff then, I had targets that were cumulatively rolled over when I failed to meet them periodically. I am happy I left never to return.

You are correct guy. I resigned from my banking job of 5 years in January this year though I had no other job to do at that time. It just didn't make sense to continue the work due to the unnecessary stress. Unfortunately two people I used to work with (in different departments) have died between that time and now due to stress-related ailments. One of them actually slumped in the office and died. As a matter of fact, I had an offer from another bank then but I didn't take it up. I was just looking for a lecturing or civil service job.

You can check my past posts to guess which bank I walked away from.

4 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by banom(m): 1:03pm On Oct 11, 2012
Though i am financially independent, but if i am the type that is looking for jobs, even for a million naira a month bank job, i wont take it. The job is too hectic and demanding.

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by drnoel: 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
acidtalk: Like you said, people will find it had to believe. which sincerely i also DOUBT the story.

Nigerians being who they are, are natural risk takers. they don't mind getting employed in a bank by 8am and laid off by 5pm the same day, they will take up that job.

Either your friends are lying or you are.
Moreover, they don't just offer to employ someone if the person didn't apply for such job or am i wrong?

Abi Nigerian banks don dey do "free employment bonanza?"
I dont doubt it. A gf of a friend of mine just also turned down a mouth watering bank job cos she applied for admin/personal but was asked to come and start in marketing.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
I turned down Diamond bank when they told me they could not promise me i will get placement in their IT department . They told me if i was ready to do banking Operation for Two years and then considered me for IT department later. Even though the pay they were going to offer is more than the current, i decided to let that go becos career growth comes first to me and the current job isnt bad .Also,The banking industry is highly volatile. who wud believe banks like Intercontinental, Oceanic,PHB will go down? I know a bank that retrench allot of their staff at the end of each year appraisal. Bank Job is good if you are cut out for it.But be wise before taking a move to a bank Job just for the money especially if you have a good development and averagely paying job now.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
Work in a bank,tel ur relatives its a cementary...wen ur rollin in money,tel em its d dead dat gave u

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by sirp2007: 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
off course pple can decline 2 accept any job offer base on d info they have,what they want in life and d option available 2 them.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Rooneyboy(m): 1:09pm On Oct 11, 2012
Kockane: Who is afraid? Definitely not me. Dunno wen peeps wld stop bad-mouthing bank jobs on this forum. 3 different banks offered your friends jobs and dey rejected em all? Who are deir fadaz, Dangote and Otedola? Oniro oshi! angry
obviously poverty has eaten deep into ur system that's y u'll take and lick every azzzz just do be in bank.

I pity u.

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Classicalman(m): 1:09pm On Oct 11, 2012
kosalabaro: What is happening? I used to think bank job is it!
I don't know whether people will believe me or not (as I find it hard to believe myself)
when I say that 5 'sane' friends of mine recently turned down offers of employment from banks (Zenith, UBA, Access & the new JAIZ Bank),
instead preferring low-paying jobs elsewhere!!!

Their reason - They don't want to die young!!!!

Pls I need ssincere contributions as this seems to be a new trend / development contrary to the 'norm' that bank jobs are amongst the
juicest and most sought-after jobs.

I am really, really terrified and find this new development totally inexplainable!
The O.P has a point. I am in one of those banks mentioned presently. It depends on the department they were offered: operations or marketing. Operations is a bit easier if you are hardworking. But marketing is HELL. Especially in d 3banks mentioned above. When i crossed over frm my former bank to my present, i was given a pre-employment target of N700m. I am still struggling to meet up with it. My colleague who crossed to Diamondbank from Access got a target of N1bn which must be met in 6months otherwise she will be asked to go. So don't be too fast to judge. It's obvious those guys were offered marketing jobs with heavy target. Only somebody with serious connections and liver can accept such an offer.

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by jstringz(m): 1:10pm On Oct 11, 2012
Nigerians are fond of jumping to conclusions.
The comments here support one's personal opinion and shouldn't be used as a norm 2 generalize.

A smart graduate knows d bank jobs aren't secured. I as a person follow d aphorism "when d necessity becomes unavailable, d available becomes d necessity".

I applied 2 banks because I needed 2 get a job desperately. I got the job quite alright which I turned down only because I got another place (one of d big 4). In my case the disparity between both packages was quite infinitesimal. But A colleague left another bank payin far higher than my new place. U will think he is crazy bt he is not. As a sagacious fellow, u have 2 consider things like career growth, continuous learning, exposure, sustainability, job function and personal objective and not dwell "exceedingly" on monthly pay even though that cannot be ruled out.

D problem is most of our graduates are blind-folded with monthly take home. I have so many colleagues and relations complaining bitterly because of some bank jobs.

Bt let d truth be said if there was no other option I would have taken d bank job.

It is imperative u know d minute details before u go about castigating people 4 not taking a bank job.

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 11, 2012
Health and safety is wealth. If it's anything that has to do with field sales/marketing/bus dev e.t.c. It's not gonna be worth it in the long run.

I know someone who rejected a bus dev offer in a big investment bank in Nigeria even though he had no other option. The pay was very good but contract stipulated 8am to 6pm, it takes him bout 2hours 30min to get to work and 4hours to get back home on his first day.

He also had to follow up on leads sometimes during the day as he has a target of 10 highnetworth customers/week and the company won't even supply a car for the running around, instead he was given a weekly allocation for transport in addition to his fat salary. He rejected the offer sharpish.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

80k In Ikoyi With Pension And HMO Or 80k In Ikeja With No Benefits / What Is The Best Means To Join The Nigerian Police As Graduate? / How To Move On After Getting Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.