Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Shark Attacks Woman In Delta - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Shark Attacks Woman In Delta (23306 Views)

A Nairalander Pictured With The Tallest Woman In Kogi State (see Pics) / Police Arrest Rams For Attacking 65-Year-Old Woman In Ado-Ekiti / Lion Attacks Woman Having Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by gennym(f): 5:32pm On Oct 11, 2012
You guys should take time to watch Natgeo wild or discovery before blabbing. infact i watched a movie when i was young bout a shark swimming up river and wrecking havoc. sharks have been known to swim up river, but i doubt she was bitten by one. you need to see how a shark's teeth protudes to respect it. check the link below
newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2010/09/03/eight-foot-shark-in-potomac-river/
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by Ibime(m): 5:33pm On Oct 11, 2012
Bull sharks do swim up rivers especially in the amazon but trust me of one of them bite her she will need more than 12 stitches from the local pharmacist
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by kooto(m): 5:52pm On Oct 11, 2012
What will a shark be doing in a river?
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by belicov(m): 5:52pm On Oct 11, 2012
She sure say na shark if na shark dat her leg for ₫ΦΠ comot åñď shark no fit dey dat kind dirty water at all na scamm
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by victme1(m): 7:52pm On Oct 11, 2012
gbanikiti: The woman no serious! Maybe na catfish na im bite am. Seems she doesn't know what Shark is! If na shark bite her I don't think she would still be alive.smh

i love u for this
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by ayduamah: 8:18pm On Oct 11, 2012
Maybe na her pastor wen send her to baf for river wan arrange am for jaz.no be only shark angry
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by mankand(m): 8:35pm On Oct 11, 2012
Last week, Someone saw Hippotamus in his flooded home cry
This week someone was bitten by shark shocked
Next week I will be back here to read another news of someone seeing Dragon or Dinosaur.

Frustration will always lead some people insane
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by Reptyle(m): 8:40pm On Oct 11, 2012
so the shark was scared off by her scream for help abi... grin grin angry
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by joerux60: 8:55pm On Oct 11, 2012
Bull Sharks In Rivers: Fact or Fiction?

Are the stories true about bull sharks swimming up freshwater rivers? Yes, they absolutely are. Bull sharks in rivers may not be very common sightings, but it definitely does happen. Jeremy Wade, on Animal Planet's "River Monsters", goes on a journey to catch a bull shark in a river and share the truths about this animal. Learn how bull sharks are able to survive in freshwater, and why they swim into estuaries and even up rivers.

How Do Bull Sharks Survive in Rivers? How does a saltwater shark survive in freshwater?

Saltwater and freshwater have different specific gravity, or salinity, or however you want to refer to the chemical concentraions of the two different bodies of water; simply put, osmosis is a huge factor in an organism's ability to live in water.

Osmosis can be defined as the movement of water through a membrane due to the differences in concentrations of two solutions. This is why you always hear people say it is a bad idea to drink saltwater because it will actually dehydrate you. The saltwater is at a higher concentration than the cells in our bodies, so due to the natural forces of osmosis, water will leave our "less concentrated cells" and enter the "higher concentrated saltwater" until they become equal (physical laws of science love to be at equilibrium). The result is the loss of water from our cells which is no good.

OK, so how does this relate to sharks?

The forces of osmosis means that animals must either be adapted to freshwater or adapted to saltwater. Saltwater fish live in the ocean, and freshwater fish live in rivers, lakes, etc. Marine fish must go against the laws of physics in order to retain water to avoid dehydration due to osmosis, while freshwater fish must go against the laws of physics to prevent the absorption of too much water.

So then how the heck does a saltwater Bull Shark survive in freshwater?

Bull sharks can survive in freshwater rivers due to a feature called osmoregulation. Osmoregulation is the ability of an organism to maintain a constant concentration of water in their body even when the surrounding environment would cause it to either gain or lose water. Remember how I was saying fish have to be adapted to either freshwater or saltwater due to the large differences in salinity? The ability of bull sharks to undergo osmoregulation means they can survive in both saltwater AND freshwater!

Osmoregulation

in Bull Sharks allows them to alter their physiological processes in order to survive in freshwater!
Do you believe Bull Sharks swim up rivers?

Why Do Bull Sharks Go Into Rivers?
Bull sharks may breed in freshwater, and there are advantages to it. Freshwater habitats such as estuaries and rivers have features that are suitable for smaller sharks to survive. There is cover (or shelter) and there is food.

http://www.squidoo.com/bull-sharks-in-rivers
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by Mrsilya: 9:13pm On Oct 11, 2012
Eyaaa tank god for d nebors oooo!Eyaaa tank god for d nebors oooo!Eyaaa tank god for d nebors oooo!
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by xuchy: 10:59pm On Oct 11, 2012
Seriously I must say I'm extremely disappointed at the types of news and information dat makes front page on NL and it been goin on for a while now... Wats d meanin of dis? Instead empahsis wil b placed on people tryin to relate prices of food for d masses and bannin dem... Seun and mods pls u guys shud look into dis..
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by lekanolaolu: 12:19am On Oct 12, 2012
I can't laugh with al diz ur funny comments. I trust nairalanders. You re always funny! Lolz
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by bigmaut: 2:25am On Oct 12, 2012
If na shark it fo take a big bite
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by Nobody: 3:51am On Oct 12, 2012
Wat kinda farce is ds?? Lmao. No be only shark na whale. Lollllz
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by Eleazarrh(m): 6:09am On Oct 12, 2012
Na blue whale bite am I guess..... Shark koo, Dolphin nii I doubt if Sђε̲̣̣̣̥ know ђã†̥ a shark Ȋ̝̊̅§ ?? Shark inside a shallow wate, ar Ȋ̝̊̅§ it atlantic ocean Sђε̲̣̣̣̥'s having her bath
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by chucky234(m): 6:40am On Oct 12, 2012
Eleazarrh: Na blue whale bite am I guess..... Shark koo, Dolphin nii I doubt if Sђε̲̣̣̣̥ know ђã†̥ a shark Ȋ̝̊̅§ ?? Shark inside a shallow wate, ar Ȋ̝̊̅§ it atlantic ocean Sђε̲̣̣̣̥'s having her bath
Well bull shark do lives in rivers,it may also not be a matured shark that attacked they said woman as baby sharks also shows similar instinct.
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by kaycee1983: 9:15am On Oct 12, 2012
true talk! e fit be ordinary fish(catfish or kote) na im bite am, she kon dey talk say na shark, if shark jam am 4 water, she no go live to tell the stort oooo.she go water wey dey flow go baf with brethren and she say na church programme she go. men this story is very very incomprehensive.
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by Ernnymarie(m): 10:07am On Oct 12, 2012
Mtcheeeeww!!! No b only shark,na anaconda ... Ooosssiii!!!
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by phermonyx(m): 10:10am On Oct 12, 2012
Shark in a river? Wonders shall never end in naija. Nigerian sharks are fresh water animals.......
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by nagoma(m): 10:34am On Oct 12, 2012
Justosaus:

which country are u from, that your teaching hospitals cannot treat appendicitis?

That's why Madam is still in Germany. You can't be living if you don't know this.
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by snowprince01(m): 11:26am On Oct 12, 2012
If a shark was in a river where u r bathing u will def see it, abi were u swimming in2 d deep river? Mayb d shark was just playing wit u, because if a sharp bits u on d leg am sure stitches wil nt b d option, I tink amputation wil b. To me I thing u were beating by a cat fish..
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by tonymariao(m): 11:58am On Oct 12, 2012
Hunger don wire am wella if na shark she 4 no fit shout na 2 chop am sharply d shark 4 do.
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by annastacie: 2:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
wait u mean shark bit her then when she scream the shark run away or what, what is the title of the movie
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by gadaph(m): 3:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
Wahala dey oo shocked grin
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by secnelly: 4:45pm On Oct 12, 2012
Super1759: Please don't blame the woman,she just finished 3days fasting and probably have not eaten. So she is seeing double. So the little catfish now seems like a SHARK.

word!!!
Re: Shark Attacks Woman In Delta by bilqisss: 9:48pm On Jul 17, 2022
This is very possible.
Bull sharks are very versatile and thrive in freshwater as well as in saltwater.
They’re very aggressive too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Best Piece Of Advice You've Received? / Minimum Wage Reclassification: NLC Protests In Pictures / 5 Easy Ways To Become Self-dependent In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.