Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (27589 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 11:03am On Oct 12, 2012
Abagworo:

Do you actually believe all the Igbos you've met are from one origin or born of Igbo parents? Ethnicity is actually a thing of the mind and not a thing of blood. An Igbo is anybody that believes he is Igbo and has the ethnic consciousness. A typical example on nairaland is "agbotaen" and "Ogbuefi" who are both from Ika(Igbo speaking part of Delta). While Ogbuefi believes he's 100% Igbo, Agbotaen dislikes being associated with Igbo.

Even someone from the heart of Igboland like Oraukwu, Nnewi and Orlu could dissociate himself and children from Igbo if he so wishes while a white European like Andre's friend recognizes himself as Igbo.
and from their names you can't tell the difference in their ethnicities?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 11:19am On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
At the end of the day. we're all now reffered to as Igbos. In as much as we have Ijaws, Yorubas, Hausas, Funalis who migrated thousands of years ago in our midst, they're considered Igbos now because they've married and mixed with the Original Igbos.
yes, that's true!
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:22am On Oct 12, 2012
@ TopicBLOOD
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Revolva(m): 11:28am On Oct 12, 2012
Igbos are very good friwnd of me and I am igala infact if you and me sidon you alnost think am igbo cos I grew up wit all of dem as friends in ma hood inspired by them act like dem - so why I no be igbo also haha I go even marry ibo babe
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 12, 2012
odumchi: Chai Chineke mee! O nwe ihe nmadi ama avuvo na nairalandi a? grin

Hapu ndi ara ka ha na agaghari na aju ajuju iberibe.

O na acho ihe mmadu ga asi ya na ebe a.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 12, 2012
Both of my paternal and maternal grand mums are Igbo, does that qualify me as Igbo ?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 12, 2012
Igbos are wisemen from the east. Abia is the only Nigerian state mentioned in the holy bible. They sent gifts to Jesus when he was born.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Orikinla(m): 11:39am On Oct 12, 2012
[size=28pt]If you were born by Igbos.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 11:40am On Oct 12, 2012
Orikinla: [size=28pt]If you were born by Igbos.[/size]
What qualifies those that gave birth to you as Igbos? That's the question. You're going round in circles.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by derus(f): 11:43am On Oct 12, 2012
Let forget d tribe issue, we ar all one Igbo,Hausa yoruba e t.c one Nigerian
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by selfmade26(f): 11:44am On Oct 12, 2012
you are an ibo once you are business enclined.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 11:45am On Oct 12, 2012
derus: Let forget d tribe issue, we ar all one Igbo,Hausa yoruba e t.c one Nigerian
Stick to the topic of discussion. National unity is good but this is not the thread for it. Go elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by EzePromoe: 11:45am On Oct 12, 2012
[size=32pt]Just select three unknown and unidentified Nigerian men give them N1k each for a period of time. Any of this men that comes back with the money in bounty is an Igboman. CHINEKE GOZIRI HA WE NYE AMAM IHE![/size]

3 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by hardbody: 11:46am On Oct 12, 2012

Nna Odika iwu nwa Aro Okigbo
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by bigx(m): 11:47am On Oct 12, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Yea, lower Niger is more appropriate to use for the location of Ndigbo. Even before the colonialist devided Ndigbo into east and west regions, geography had done that already. They only followed the geographical demarcation to biset Ndigbo.
Anyway, back to topic: location of Ndigbo-the 5 south east states, Delta north, upland Rivers/Bonny, Opobo, Igbanke in Edo state, Ndoki in Etim Ekpo, Akwa Ibom state and Okpokwu LGA in Benue state.
Outside Nigeria, there are indigenous Ndigbo in Equatorial Guinea mostly of Aro stock.

Why do you people keep claiming Bonny are Igbo? They are as different from Igbo as Black is Different from White. You can call Opobo igbo as they settled there after the slave trade issue but Bonny are bonafide ijaw.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 11:49am On Oct 12, 2012
bigx:

Why do you people keep claiming Bonny are Igbo? They are as different from Igbo as Black is Different from White. You can call Opobo igbo as they settled there after the slave trade issue but Bonny are bonafide ijaw.
Not that i'm against you assertion per say, but answer this question:

What makes Bonny Ijaw and not Igbo?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by XFive: 11:49am On Oct 12, 2012
Odumchi Ndaa aga imere?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by netghost: 11:53am On Oct 12, 2012
Antivirus92: I have heard alot of stories about the igbo identity on this forum. Please i need sincere comments. No insults,no bashings.

one of the completely senseless front page articles
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Chaoga: 11:54am On Oct 12, 2012
If you love money more than your own life, you are IGBO

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:55am On Oct 12, 2012
tpia@: 4:12pm On Oct 11
if you're born of igbo parents, you're igbo.

if you're igbo by adoption, you're igbo.

if you feel (ie want to be) you're igbo, you're igbo.

Seconded.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by nduchucks: 11:56am On Oct 12, 2012
It is important to note that one can be an Igbo while maintaining other affiliations and relationships with other ethnic groups. As an illustration, one could be a midwest Igbo, Hausa Igbo, Yoruba Igbo, Ikwerre Igbo e.t.c These characterizations do not make one less of an Igbo.

If any of your parents have Igbo lineage, you are Igbo. Therefore nd...... is Igbo lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by mrperfect(m): 11:59am On Oct 12, 2012
Your father being an igbo is automatic igbo someone.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by bigx(m): 11:59am On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Not that i'm against you assertion per say, but answer this question:

What makes Bonny Ijaw and not Igbo?
1. Their language is ijaw (ibani)
2. Their names are ijaw
3. They where born on ijawland
4. A typical Bonny man would never identify himself as igbo

Using the reasons for being igbo stated above
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2012
ndu_chucks: It is important to note that it is important to understand that one can be an Igbo while maintaining other affiliations and relationships with other ethnic groups. As an illustration, in the USA, for example, one could be a midwest Igbo, Hausa Igbo, Yoruba Igbo, Ikwerre Igbo e.t.c These characterizations do not make one less of an Igbo.

If any of your parents have Igbo lineage, you are Igbo. Therefore nd...... is Igbo lipsrsealed
Both my paternal and maternal grand mums are Igbos, so are you authoritatively saying I am IGBO ?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by mallorca(m): 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
What makes one's parents Igbo?

You can't bee Igbo by adoption because Igbo is not a country.

Igbo is not something you feel but what you are.
1000 likes

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2012
bigx:
1. Their language is ijaw (ibani)
2. Their names are ijaw
3. They where born on ijawland
4. A typical Bonny man would never identify himself as igbo

Using the reasons for being igbo stated above
Their language is Ibani(not Ijaw) and they speak Igbo together with their language.

Their names are mostly english, Igbo and Ijaw

My sister was born in Ikwerre land but that doesn't mean she's Ikwerre.

A typical Bonny man will not identify with Ijaws.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by S2kluv: 12:02pm On Oct 12, 2012
Dialect, language,dressing, culture and looks.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 12:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
Abagworo:

Do you actually believe all the Igbos you've met are from one origin or born of Igbo parents? Ethnicity is actually a thing of the mind and not a thing of blood. An Igbo is anybody that believes he is Igbo and has the ethnic consciousness. A typical example on nairaland is "agbotaen" and "Ogbuefi" who are both from Ika(Igbo speaking part of Delta). While Ogbuefi believes he's 100% Igbo, Agbotaen dislikes being associated with Igbo.

Even someone from the heart of Igboland like Oraukwu, Nnewi and Orlu could dissociate himself and children from Igbo if he so wishes while a white European like Andre's friend recognizes himself as Igbo.
Can you pls list the ethnic groups you referred to as "Igbo speaking part of Delta",thank you.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by 9jaIhail(m): 12:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
derus: Let forget d tribe issue, we ar all one Igbo,Hausa yoruba e t.c one Nigerian

Stop your one Nigeria gospel and focus on the topic.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 12:05pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: Can you pls list the ethnic groups you referred to as "Igbo speaking part of Delta",thank you.
Anioma is Igbo speaking.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 12:06pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Both my paternal and maternal grand mums are Igbos, so are you authoritatively saying I am IGBO ?
You don't even know your root,what a pity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts African Ambassadors In His Palace - Photos / Oba Abiodun Oniru Is Dead! Toolz Father Dies / "I Am The Leader Of Yoruba Monarchs" - Olugbo, Obateru Akinruntan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.