Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers (19097 Views)

A'16 Akwa Ibom Prospective Corpers / Breaking News! NYSC 2015 Batch ‘B’ Prospective Corpers Can Now Check Senate List / NYSC Current Allowance For States In Nigeria (2014) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Pinoralia: 4:34pm On Oct 15, 2012
Thanks so much for your advice. I wil be passing out on Thursday by God's grace. I did some menial jobs during my service year (hard labour though). Combined wit my allowee, I'm able to save 300k. Pls, advice me. What can I venture into with the money. I'm in PHC and I don't wanna go back home.

2 Likes

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Jilo83(m): 4:44pm On Oct 15, 2012
If u r xtian join NCCF in camp n at ur PPA.
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by eehweezzy(m): 4:58pm On Oct 15, 2012
plz curtail ur spendin,try and run a program while servin,if u hop for only discharge certificate den ur a failure to urself.life startz as a corper,possess d land n b in control....above all save more more n eat less.one year of nysc is toooooo short
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 15, 2012
Jilo83: If u r xtian join NCCF in camp n at ur PPA.
Can you enlighten us more on what they stand to gain if they join?
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by lolaluv1(f): 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2012
1. Don't join an organisation that wouldn't provide you accomodation. As a government pikin, you are entitled to that. If you are posted somewhere and the people tell you 'no accomodation', complain at your nysc secretariat.

2. Learn a skill e.g. Tailoring, makeup etcetera.

3. Make friends that would last a lifetime.
They will come in handy, trust me.

4. Join NCCF or any other good fellowship. They will look out for you, they will be your brothers in a strange land.

5. You should be careful with your movements. Remember, you're in a strange land.

6. Be wise and don't leap into 'relationships'.

7. Partake in educational programs that have been subsidized for corpers.

8. If you wanna be a lecturer, start running a PGD in education. It's only a year! Instead of misusing your time.

2 Likes

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by lumideezle(m): 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2012
Pinoralia: Thanks so much for your advice. I wil be passing out on Thursday by God's grace. I did some menial jobs during my service year (hard labour though). Combined wit my allowee, I'm able to save 300k. Pls, advice me. What can I venture into with the money. I'm in PHC and I don't wanna go back home.
If you can expatiate on the Menial Job you did i would advice you better. Because i know that what ever could bring you 300k in a year if properly channeled and taken to the next level, would earn you millions. Know that you already have 1 year working experience in this so called menial job and also it is a proven formula to generate money proven by yourself. My question now is, why do you wanna leave a formula you know works for one you are not certain of its outcome?? think about that.
what i would advice is look for ways to Increase your capacity in this already existing venture of yours. Lets assume you were a driver think up ways to become an agent to supply other car owners Drivers!! because now you know what a Boss needs in a good driver and attributes a good driver should have. that's the way you should be thinking

2 Likes

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Heymus(m): 5:09pm On Oct 15, 2012
Try as much as possible to safe some money.
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Bamz(m): 5:27pm On Oct 15, 2012
Ok I'm currently serving, batch A precisely and enjoying every bit of it. My advice to newbies is to set a very realistic target of what you plan to achieve within the service duration. The targets should revolve around sharpening your career or business skills or both. If you need help in anything you're about to venture into, meet with those who've done it or are currently doing it. Best of luck people.

1 Like

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Bamz(m): 5:32pm On Oct 15, 2012
lola.luv:
1. Don't join an organisation that wouldn't provide you accomodation. As a government pikin, you are entitled to that. If you are posted somewhere and the people tell you 'no accomodation', complain at your nysc secretariat.

2. Learn a skill e.g. Tailoring, makeup etcetera.

3. Make friends that would last a lifetime.
They will come in handy, trust me.

4. Join NCCF or any other good fellowship. They will look out for you, they will be your brothers in a strange land.

5. You should be careful with your movements. Remember, you're in a strange land.

6. Be wise and don't leap into 'relationships'.

7. Partake in educational programs that have been subsidized for corpers.

8. If you wanna be a lecturer, start running a PGD in education. It's only a year! Instead of misusing your time.

Lola. About pt. 6, er, are u talking from experience? Lol
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by ujchief(m): 6:27pm On Oct 15, 2012
work ur service to a convinient place. This country aint worth dying for. Boko haram, flood, militancy, kidnaping...

2 Likes

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by TheMan3: 6:33pm On Oct 15, 2012
My advise is simple.invest. Let your alawi every month be capital for your business or self improvement. The hard truth is, one year is very short, and after service you are on your own.
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Pinoralia: 6:36pm On Oct 15, 2012
[color=#990000][/color][/b]
lumideezle:
If you can expatiate on the Menial Job you did i would advice you better. Because i know that what ever could bring you 300k in a year if properly channeled and taken to the next level, would earn you millions. Know that you already have 1 year working experience in this so called menial job and also it is a proven formula to generate money proven by [b]yourself
. My question now is, why do you wanna leave a formula you know works for one you are not certain of its outcome?? think about that.
what i would advice is look for ways to Increase your capacity in this already existing venture of yours. Lets assume you were a driver think up ways to become an agent to supply other car owners Drivers!! because now you know what a Boss needs in a good driver and attributes a good driver should have. that's the way you should be thinking
lumideezle:
If you can expatiate on the Menial Job you did i would advice you better. Because i know that what ever could bring you 300k in a year if properly channeled and taken to the next level, would earn you millions. Know that you already have 1 year working experience in this so called menial job and also it is a proven formula to generate money proven by [b]yourself
. My question now is, why do you wanna leave a formula you know works for one you are not certain of its outcome?? think about that.
[/b]
lumideezle:
If you can expatiate on the Menial Job you did i would advice you better. Because i know that what ever could bring you 300k in a year if properly channeled and taken to the next level, would earn you millions. Know that you already have 1 year working experience in this so called menial job and also it is a proven formula to generate money proven by yourself. My question now is, why do you wanna leave a formula you know works for one you are not certain of its outcome?? think about that.

Bros, the menial jobs I did were arduous ones that's why I said it's strenous. Casual work - loading and offloading of containers on weekends. You know I can't continue with that as a graduate. I just did it to gather some money so as to be self reliance after nysc. Pls, what kind of investment can I go into after?
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by omidan21: 6:50pm On Oct 15, 2012
Start running a PGD in education u say.are u saying one shld run a PGD programme during service.I though NYSC discharge cert wld be needed b4 aPplying for any PGD oir masters course.pls enlighten more on dis please,
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by sweetaquifer(f): 7:00pm On Oct 15, 2012
bro, i hail yr humility to undertake such humilating job jus to save for you future....i woud personally advise you to venture into storage. By dis i mean hoarding of farm products like beans, pepper, maize and any other of yr choice.
Early dis year a bag of beans sold for 7000 naira, but today a cheap bag of beans is 35,000naira. So tink of the profit u stand to make if u go into such........although, it depends on yr location, like me, i reside in the north where tins are relatively cheap during harvest....good luck bro

1 Like

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by anthoniaz(f): 7:12pm On Oct 15, 2012
I learnt the hard way too.As a prospective corps member/corps member,it's essential you save or learn something that will always fetch you money during and after service. When I was serving,there was this girl I heard of who made it a habit to purchase gold every month not for personal use but for sale after service cos I served in the north,when some of us were spending our allowance anyhow.You can learn bead making,tailoring,hairdressing,and many more as a lady and for guys,just like what someone said earlier,you can go into phone repair,start a business e.t.c.

1 Like

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Mustay(m): 7:14pm On Oct 15, 2012
lumideezle: Also forget about all these professional exams here and there people are shouting about.They are only using training fees to rip Nigerians off.Believe me employers do not fall for pro courses anymore what gets you in the door is your skill and what you can do for them not what paper you have to show.

Avoid professional courses at your own peril. When you start working, you'll remember not to ''forget about all these professional exams here and there people are shouting about''. One of the best times you've got FOR YOURSELF is during the service year. Apparently, our (under)graduates have a warped idea of what professional courses could offer them and also lack guidance and counselling hence they end up taking courses they have less/no interest in. Nevertheless, my dogma remains that no knowledge is useless, one way or the other, they'd all conjoin for your advantage.

Employers have never fallen for professional courses, they've only admired these achievements. However, whether you go to Havard or Hazard University, if you can not prove your mettle, you'll be kicked out - we have to realise that certificates are only hard copy evidences while the soft copy resides in your intellect (more like Intellectual Property) you've gained via academic and real-life experiences.

Please develop yourself - the moment you stop reading, you are only as good as yesterday's slolution-solver not tomorrow's. I'd only advise you to think hard about your career line so you can find what's suitable for your line. You don't want to start a family and that's when you're just thinking of courses you should've done during your youth - children, wife/husband, engagements, work palava, adequate sleep will all be combating for your 'ME' time.

It's how to practicalise these knowledge skills (e.g. white collared) that make some see the 'irrelevance' in them which is an uninformed position.

1 Like

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by kinguwem: 7:30pm On Oct 15, 2012
Corp members should be security conscious anywhere they are posted to. They should not hesitate to leave any hostile environment. They should empower themselves by engaging in self employment programmes and postgraduate studies. For those who are not engaged, it is an opportunity to search for a life partner.
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2012
Nice thread. *subscribing*
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by flow1759: 7:50pm On Oct 15, 2012
For d guys: no follow women(especially yoruba babes) their plan na to hold corper down make corper no go(especially if u are another tribe). People wey dey talk save. Mehn to save no easy oh(especially in a place where d cost of living is high). Guy try to acquire knowledge, just any knowledge. Forget saving if e no easy 4 u (if u can, go ahead) how much can u save sef(if u save all ur alawi, na 240k b dat oh). Na God dey help pesin 4 dis naija, it is no by he dat SAVETH, but its the lord dat showeth mercy
PS: Always pray
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by lumideezle(m): 8:18pm On Oct 15, 2012
Mustay:

Avoid professional courses at your own peril. When you start working, you'll remember not to ''forget about all these professional exams here and there people are shouting about''. One of the best times you've got FOR YOURSELF is during the service year. Apparently, our (under)graduates have a warped idea of what professional courses could offer them and also lack guidance and counselling hence they end up taking courses they have less/no interest in. Nevertheless, my dogma remains that no knowledge is useless, one way or the other, they'd all conjoin for your advantage.

Employers have never fallen for professional courses, they've only admired these achievements. However, whether you go to Havard or Hazard University, if you can not prove your mettle, you'll be kicked out - we have to realise that certificates are only hard copy evidences while the soft copy resides in your intellect (more like Intellectual Property) you've gained via academic and real-life experiences.

Please develop yourself - the moment you stop reading, you are only as good as yesterday's slolution-solver not tomorrow's. I'd only advise you to think hard about your career line so you can find what's suitable for your line. You don't want to start a family and that's when you're just thinking of courses you should've done during your youth - children, wife/husband, engagements, work palava, adequate sleep will all be combating for your 'ME' time.

It's how to practicalise these knowledge skills (e.g. white collared) that make some see the 'irrelevance' in them which is an uninformed position.

Look as much as I totally support the idea of taking a professional course while working full time,The OP is asking about how best to spend your service year in 2012... From experience I know that 90% of grduates do not have a concrete Idea of their caeers paths at this point. Dem!! you don't even know your strengths yet, most graduates only tend to fully understand their strengths career wise after NYSC When they start working bc you would get trained when u get employed by a good coy. At this point it is totally advisable 2 take pro courses so u can rise in that chose field. What I am against is taking professionall courses just because everybody is doing it or because it is affordable or it is the most accessiable. I am focusing on specialized knowledge focuz on your intrests and grow your strenghts in it. EG If u wanna learn 2 fix computers you should go Online and increase your knowledge in that field by reading and practicalizing you could also take some spefcialized courses in that particualar field.but know that there is nobloody way your tutor can know better than google or ask.com.I can bet on that so y dash sm1 the much needed money when u can acquire d knowledge yourself? My point is focus on learning an easily practisable skill that would easily get ur foot at the door of an employer. Trust it is a lot easier to enter d gates of mobil or shell as a contractor coming to help fix their computers than to say u wanna come and drop CV hope u get my drift

2 Likes

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by omidan21: 9:11pm On Oct 15, 2012
Bamz:

Lola. About pt. 6, er, are u talking from experience? Lol
Start running a PGD in education u say.are u saying one shld run a PGD programme during service.I though NYSC discharge cert wld be needed b4 aPplying for any PGD oir masters course.pls enlighten more on dis please,
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Bamz(m): 9:37pm On Oct 15, 2012
omidan21:

Direct the question to Lola. I really don't know much about ur question.
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by suwailad(f): 11:12pm On Oct 15, 2012
lumideezle:
Trust it is a lot easier to enter d gates of mobil or shell as a contractor coming to help fix their computers than to say u wanna come and drop CV hope u get my drift

comment of the day
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Roon9(m): 11:44pm On Oct 15, 2012
And i tot U̶̲̥̅̊ wanted †̥☺ give us advice.... Mtschewww! ♍Ɣ frend rephrase ur topic jor

1 Like

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by Slickest(m): 6:32am On Oct 16, 2012
corpa wEee oo! Wot I'll say iz bein a graduate iz no longa a new thing,writing prof.examz iz nt new(thou I wrote sha),we have millionz of umemployd graduatez out there,so itz up 2 u 2 go pensive on ur dream....we al av dreamz,passion,improve more on ur natural skill...identify wit ur passion nd alwayz b positive,be patient,nd hard workin,al dis payz afteral,meet ppl,be confident,nd neva backout wen ur faced wit challenges,neva b discouraged,b an investor nt a savinz acct holder,alwayz rational nd realistic,neva follo d crowd....no b evrybody go use white collar job chop,luv u al grin

2 Likes

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by ednut1(m): 8:02am On Oct 16, 2012
y u all talkin as if all corpers are broke ass, oh boy am goin to service to flex and scam my parents, no dulling, wit all d bad news bout jobs, me go jst thrw my certificate 2.1 inside cupboard, business all d way, farm produce, warehousing, iron,cement, fcmb,
Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by haywhybiz: 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2012
Passn Out : Kip gud contact wit d host community and d present corpers, prepare ur up-2-d8 c.v, tell evry1 u'r
searchn 4 job,learn a hand trade, dnt rush 4 masters or higher qualificatn if u dnt hv a job
experience...

If still servn :
Contribute meaningfully 2d community, b security cautious, dnt kip bad companies, dnt disobey d laws of d land, dnt raise shoulders above d indegenes, mk a link wit a notable,trust-worthy politician.........

Abt 2 serve :

Dnt influence ur postn, God myte hv a reason 4where u r posted, follow d above suggestns.

1 Like

Re: Words Of Advice For Current & Prospective Corpers by bayulll01(m): 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2012
at all at all na him bad,but seriously u should be able to save notinx less than 100k during ur nysc my thaught anyway

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NYSC Announces Passing-Out Date For 2021 Batch ‘B’ Corps Members / NYSC - Operation Keep Ota Clean CDS Project (Photo ) / NYSC DG Gives Condition For Corps Members’ Relocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.