Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) (3959 Views)

The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. / Oriki Ile Yoruba [yorubaland Praise] / Yoruba Names/Oriki For God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) by nogames: 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
Oriki is literary genre used to inspire people. It is usually in the form of poetry, consisting of songs of praise.
I remember when i was very young, our grandma used to recite our oriki for us, it was interesting and make us feel honoured.
Usually,every Yoruba family has its own oriki, which extols the virtues of the clan.However, the glory days of the oriki seem to be gone,as most youths are no longer interested in it.
The question is can you still recite your oriki? it will be more interesting if you can write out at least a line out of your oriki
Mine is
Omo abe okoro ola......abeg dont ask me the meaning for now
Re: Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) by ifyalways(f): 11:22am On Oct 13, 2012
^^ I'm interested in knowing the meaning, especially with the "okoro" word .
Re: Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) by nogames: 8:19am On Oct 14, 2012
" `Ok`or`o" the pronuciation is different from the igbo "okoro"
For the meaning hnm need to make some calls
Re: Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 14, 2012
Nope, but I plan on learning it. I feel it's a waste of time though since the one I'll recite for my kids has to be that of my husband
Re: Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) by nogames: 11:58am On Oct 14, 2012
Shollypopz: Nope, but I plan on learning it. I feel it's a waste
of time though since the one I'll recite for my kids has to be that of my husband
You are right,if know your husband's oriki find time to recite it for him once in a while, maybe sunday morning give him a litle tap from his sleep and let him see you reciting the oriki for him. If your husband his my type, I bet he will do anything to make u happy in return. But mind you never do it for expectation even if he ask what do you want. Just tell him you apprieciate him
Re: Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) by ifyalways(f): 12:05pm On Oct 14, 2012
Thanks @ OP.

Is this oriki same as traditional praise singing?
Re: Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) by nogames: 2:27pm On Oct 14, 2012
ifyalways: Thanks @ OP.

Is this oriki same as traditional praise singing?
It is usually in the form of poetry, consisting of songs of praise.Every family has its own. The most interesting part of it is that. If you study it carefully you we know where your ancentors came from.
Foe example, no matter where you come from, if " olofa mojo omo olalomi abisu joko" appear in your oriki its shows your linage or ancentors are from offa kwara state.
"Omo ajoro jegbin" for ibadan descendant
"Omo timi,agbale" For Ede osun state
"Onikoyi eso ....." For ikoyi people
'Kurunmi..." Ijaiye people in Egba
Etc
Etc
Re: Can You Still Recite Your Oriki? (literary Genre) by bigt2(m): 10:04am On Mar 22, 2015
Let me add mine. Our lineage is Ikoyi Eso.
Ikoyi Eso
Omo gbe'le gbe'gbe
Omo gbe'ju gbe'gboro
Omo Aroni gbe'nu iresa gbe'nu leere
Omo aseni o gbebo
Omo wo'nda o gboogun
Omo k'a ku loju ogun lo yeni... I've forgotten the remaining few lines.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Is Igbo A Wave Of Migrations Or Are They The Same People? / ''at All At All,na Em Bad Pass'' What Does This Saying Mean? / What Can You Say About Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.