Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,864 members, 7,806,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? (10852 Views)

I Am Tired Of Joblessness And Idleness / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market / Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by walmart: 10:46am On Oct 16, 2012
I would say that there is hope. The person should also accept jobs that will help build his experience even though the pay may not be too good. He can move to a better one when he has gained experience. He can also try a masters program if there is money.
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by RIchibabe(f): 10:48am On Oct 16, 2012
You mean you went to school for 4 years just to get a job, when u can create 1 for ur self? Gosh! If u had start something 6years ago believe me u would have been ur OWN BOSS by Now instead of wasting those years all in the name of looking for a job.... Work on ur Mind set because that's where ur success begins...

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by 2sexy(m): 10:52am On Oct 16, 2012
edelweiss: My advise to u is to do any legitimate job available to raise capital,no matter how small the salary is, many of us don't have people to help us raise capital for business,the banks wants çolletleral,so all road seemed block but I for one know the is always a way,and being female who VOWED 2 ave things straight I planned a few thing.I graduated wit a 2'1 Unical biz mgt, lookd 4 a job for almost a yr,but I decided to take a 25k job,while at d job, my first salary, I went to trade fair and told d owner of a perfume shop that I want to trade with 20k, I was given 4 5oml perfumes, which I ended up selling for like 7k each by the end of the next month I had up to 60k, I kept puting my little salary into my business'in six month I was worth more than half a million,(sincerely speaking all the money was from the perfume sales and salary)I was going to work one day I saw a shop at a bustop I stoped by and told them I wil come pay for the shop at d end of the day,I got dat shop with no exact tin in mind to sell, after I got the shop,I looked round d neighbourhood and asked myself what could I supply d area? That is how I started selling wine and spirit, I employed a sales girl, I know my stock taking'I was still working still selling my perfumes but my capital was diversify so I tot of how to make more money,I decided to ave a sales promo 'which was buy 5 100ml perfume or introduce me to people to buy it and get one free. Come and see girl friends scotting for people to buy my perfume, I enlarged my clientele, after dat promo boom I entered selling shirts along side it, today I tell u at 31, with just 25k salary I own dis business and a few I didn't mention and d natural law of money set in,I ave got anoda job in an international firm, all thru d connections of my client! So young man, pls go back to ur drawing table ,tap into positivity, and think, u will make a way for ur self! I even cleaned newly built houses to add to my capital! It was all about survival! So u too can do it, best of luck, MEG
hahahahaha... hello,lady. Can I give you a hug? Damn! I love this... Love you.

I thank God that I am not so Job-seeking oriented. Though I am making conection and networking already, but that does not stop my business mind from working.

I am at home now but doing biz and waiting for NYSC call up...

NYSC is gonna be fun for me... WAKE NAIJA GRADUATES!!!!!!!!

Get Up, Stand Up Get for Your right... Get Up Stand up and Dont Give Up the Fight!
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by kukus01(m): 11:01am On Oct 16, 2012
D sage: @ifyalways,

See madam, it's not just about the kind of course or GPA you had that would guarantee jobs these days. The fact is that, demand is greater than supply ie(more graduates were produced every year with limited or very few available jobs).

You're talking about professional course,I laugh. Do you aware that thousands of people out there has their master degree,ICAN etc and yet still find it difficult to get a job? Whereas I know some people who recently secured a good jobs with HND and B.sc certificate respective.
gbagaun!!! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by OmoAlata(f): 11:03am On Oct 16, 2012
talatu.talatu:
I hope your friend is fasting and praying about this issue, at times it could be a spiritual bondage and he needs to be delivered.
with God he will surely get a good job.

I agree wink I would have pooh-poohed this before but what I've experienced ............. wink
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by Rooneyboy(m): 11:09am On Oct 16, 2012
edelweiss: My advise to u is to do any legitimate job available to raise capital,no matter how small the salary is, many of us don't have people to help us raise capital for business,the banks wants çolletleral,so all road seemed block but I for one know the is always a way,and being female who VOWED 2 ave things straight I planned a few thing.I graduated wit a 2'1 Unical biz mgt, lookd 4 a job for almost a yr,but I decided to take a 25k job,while at d job, my first salary, I went to trade fair and told d owner of a perfume shop that I want to trade with 20k, I was given 4 5oml perfumes, which I ended up selling for like 7k each by the end of the next month I had up to 60k, I kept puting my little salary into my business'in six month I was worth more than half a million,(sincerely speaking all the money was from the perfume sales and salary)I was going to work one day I saw a shop at a bustop I stoped by and told them I wil come pay for the shop at d end of the day,I got dat shop with no exact tin in mind to sell, after I got the shop,I looked round d neighbourhood and asked myself what could I supply d area? That is how I started selling wine and spirit, I employed a sales girl, I know my stock taking'I was still working still selling my perfumes but my capital was diversify so I tot of how to make more money,I decided to ave a sales promo 'which was buy 5 100ml perfume or introduce me to people to buy it and get one free. Come and see girl friends scotting for people to buy my perfume, I enlarged my clientele, after dat promo boom I entered selling shirts along side it, today I tell u at 31, with just 25k salary I own dis business and a few I didn't mention and d natural law of money set in,I ave got anoda job in an international firm, all thru d connections of my client! So young man, pls go back to ur drawing table ,tap into positivity, and think, u will make a way for ur self! I even cleaned newly built houses to add to my capital! It was all about survival! So u too can do it, best of luck, MEG

U say u vowed to have things straight ?
And u made a 2.1 ?
With this "ur well articulated piece" I say indeed u are really worth emulating.
But let me put it to u here that I didn't/yet to have things as straight as u do since I graduated.
What's the magic sister? pls advice me,putting into perspective that I'm MALE.
grin grin grin
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by kukus01(m): 11:18am On Oct 16, 2012
great advise!!! look inward and find yourself is the best!!!
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by tantan: 11:29am On Oct 16, 2012
the problem is that any employer will say since u couldn't be employed since, that shows ur incompetency without looking at how the labor is saturated.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by Dubemkelly(m): 11:43am On Oct 16, 2012
He who wears d shoes knows where it hurts,not as easy as one thinks,sum peeps aint biz orientated nd hv kpt on looking 4wrd 2 white collar jobs which unfortunately aint forth coming....My candid advice is 4 u 2 kip searching nd yle on dat,u can develop ideas via attending biz related meetings nd so on
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by mrkels(m): 11:44am On Oct 16, 2012
lanreni: Consider a graduate's story of hussling from day one he leaves school. From one promise to another, from test to test, from interview to interview with no success. Even offering to work for free, but to no avail. Before he realizes, years roll by. What can he do? Quit job seeking, go into business fully? Are there companies/recruiting firms willing to give such a person a trial in Nigeria? Consider his financial position at this time. Please i need your candid opinion, suggestion and information if any.
WTF? Lwkmd grin
Guy you can lie sha...anyways just be patient with God. And also help yourself, find out why they havnt called you yet, the problem could be with you and not your cv,grade,sch etc! Maybe u didn't prepare well for tests and so you failed, or didn't prepare your answers well for interviews so they didn't call you. By now you should know the things you said in other interviews that were not neccessary and made you not get that particular job. Work on yourself. You ll get one soon. You could also look for some business to do b4 you get one although its not as easy as I say it. Goodluck bro
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by uzoexcel(m): 12:14pm On Oct 16, 2012
Kockane:

I'm guessing ur one of doz nigerians dat stay abroad and bliv dey know it all. Wat obtains over dere is nufn like wat graduates face each day over ere. From the "tone" of ur post, seems to me ur castigating d dude more dan advising him. Who the hell are you to talk about courses that are or aren't worth studying. Even to the point of labelling people who study dem "stooooopid".

Okay now we get it, you want us all to know you have a great life and studied a "top" course and didn't spenf 6 yrs hunting for a job? Aii, now we've noticed you. You didn't have to make anyone feel less human while @ it doe. angry

the dude is right.....it doesnt make sense in this country to read anyhow course like microbiology,horticulture,guidance and counselling,polymer and textiles etc....this are very good courses elsewhere but in naija u v to give urself a fighting chance as it gets worse everyday....there are also things like scholarships and other benefits that accrue to one who studies a professional course....thruout my studies in naija and now abroad,i v alwayz been on scholarship that came about as a result of my course of choice(not that i was too good but i was always selected to write exams).....i also made sure my younger ones followed suit...e.g one of my siblings wrote jamb for UNN several years ago and we chose for him english language as we wanted him to enter university before switching (if we had chosen law for him he might not have made the cut off mark).the plan was for him to enter the university and rewrite jamb again for law department having studied and known what it entailed in his first year...after his year one though he made a first class and applied to switch to law department but was told to go back a year in law which he gladly did (itz not how fast but how well)..he already has double advantage of having done some courses and understanding the system....for the scholarship thingy,when u see adverts from companies like MTN,total,ocean energy etc for both undergraduates and postgraduates students,itz usually for professional courses and not some of the others i mentioned above...Itz painful when someone reads a course like vet medicine(6 years) and u end up as a contract staff in a bank with some1 who read marketing in a nearby poly(i m nt casting aspersions;hope u get my drift) and u r both having d same potfolios angry angry angry... in naija to survive especially for graduates who dont v any biz sense like me,u have to start early...think geometrically i.e 15 steps ahead....if u r on Industrial training start ass-kissing ur bosses in a way that you can be called back when u graduate...make sure you NYSC[i][/i] in Lagos(and forget the myth about serving ur country)...IF U IN LAGOS U V ACCESS TO INFO,U CAN RUN COURSES IN UR one year (forget that nonsense NIM) WHICH WILL MAKE YOU A MORE ROUNDED person....best of luck

psst;2 thinggs...sorry for the typos/case mix up as i m in d library using a friends' system and the second thing is MAKE SURE YOU COME OUT WITH A 2:1 and not 2:2...if u get to ur 3rd year and u know you cant make it itz better you go back a year, or rewrite jamb/switch courses;thatz if d money s available......this is important and i m sure u hear stories from guyz with 2:2 (doesnt mean they arent gud but naija no make sense)

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by forkinsonlolo(m): 12:16pm On Oct 16, 2012
THANK YOU MA smiley
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by uzoexcel(m): 12:31pm On Oct 16, 2012
uzoexcel:

the dude is right.....it doesnt make sense in this country to read anyhow course like microbiology,horticulture,guidance and counselling,polymer and textiles etc....this are very good courses elsewhere but in naija u v to give urself a fighting chance as it gets worse everyday....there are also things like scholarships and other benefits that accrue to one who studies a professional course....thruout my studies in naija and now abroad,i v alwayz been on scholarship that came about as a result of my course of choice(not that i was too good but i was always selected to write exams).....i also made sure my younger ones followed suit...e.g one of my siblings wrote jamb for UNN several years ago and we chose for him english language as we wanted him to enter university before switching (if we had chosen law for him he might not have made the cut off mark).the plan was for him to enter the university and rewrite jamb again for law department having studied and known what it entailed in his first year...after his year one though he made a first class and applied to switch to law department but was told to go back a year in law which he gladly did (itz not how fast but how well)..he already has double advantage of having done some courses and understanding the system....for the scholarship thingy,when u see adverts from companies like MTN,total,ocean energy etc for both undergraduates and postgraduates students,itz usually for professional courses and not some of the others i mentioned above...Itz painful when someone reads a course like vet medicine(6 years) and u end up as a contract staff in a bank with some1 who read marketing in a nearby poly(i m nt casting aspersions;hope u get my drift) and u r both having d same potfolios angry angry angry... in naija to survive especially for graduates who dont v any biz sense like me,u have to start early...think geometrically i.e 15 steps ahead....if u r on Industrial training start ass-kissing ur bosses in a way that you can be called back when u graduate...make sure you NYSC[i][/i] in Lagos(and forget the myth about serving ur country)...IF U IN LAGOS U V ACCESS TO INFO,U CAN RUN COURSES IN UR one year (forget that nonsense NIM) WHICH WILL MAKE YOU A MORE ROUNDED person....best of luck

psst;2 thinggs...sorry for the typos/case mix up as i m in d library using a friends' system and the second thing is MAKE SURE YOU COME OUT WITH A 2:1 and not 2:2...if u get to ur 3rd year and u know you cant make it itz better you go back a year, or rewrite jamb/switch courses;thatz if d money s available......this is important and i m sure u hear stories from guyz with 2:2 (doesnt mean they arent gud but naija no make sense)

also it also pays to v good focus....my first job after youth service came in a FMCG company who payed me a paltry sum of 32k and it was a mondays to sundays thingy; i was a technical/process support engineer there....i worked that job for 1 year despite insults/strokings from people but i made sure i learnt well and for me i wanted to v a multinational firm on my cv however bad the pay was...i got offers to join firstbank graduate trainee and also kpmg but as Tax auditor but i maintained my job...those offers wouldav derailed me from ma path......after studying elect/elect engr and with a 2:1, and also giving up d sacrifices to jack my life out in school..no oh..i hear thnz from my engr excoursemates who say they want to work in a bank some few years and then go back to their field but this s really nigh impossible;once u there,u there.itz a kinda trap...even if u leave after 5 years u cant apply for a job of a management trainee as u will be too old and u cant also apply for a job as an expereinced engr as u dont have any and so u r sucked into the system...i got another job wid a chinese telecoms firm who wanted an experienced person but i was able to show the chinese people during the interview the skills i could bring to them as a technical person and i was one of the 5 people selected from 50people in total who had more experience.......so people package urself properly and also know that no where is too small too start in life...best of luck pal wink wink wink wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by tessyade: 12:41pm On Oct 16, 2012
I so love this post especially the way you took the 25k job not minding your Bsc certificate. I don't know you but i will say you are one in a million lady.
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by josite: 1:31pm On Oct 16, 2012
Prayerfully Send ur cv to segelo@hotmail.com.i admire ur courage and i know delay is not denial.u will hav a great job as u desired in jesus name.
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 16, 2012
Work at home on the
Internet. Free quick
courses shows you
how. We supply free
training to start your
business
There is no cost to
you. Start part time
and make money in
your spare time.
Record-breaking
growth has driven us
to the top of Internet
marketing
businesses. You can
build a profitable
home-based
business working
part-time from your
home computer!
Training, support,
Websites, and
products all
provided!
Do you want to work
for 40 years or more
to make $40,000 a
year or less just so
you can retire on
40% of what wasn't
enough in the first
place?
Imagine owning a
profitable home
business that you
could start today
WITHOUT:
- Technical know-
how,
- Large capital
investment or
overhead,
- Jeopardizing your
current career,
- Any of the
headaches of
owning a traditional
business.
What if all the tools
and techniques were
provided for you
instantly with simple-
to-follo w, step-by-
step
instructions? What if
I told you it was FREE
to join with NO
obligation
whatsoever!
Interested?
Text name and location to 08076991926
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by alienware(m): 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2012
ifyalways: First off what did the graduate "study" in school ? When folks force themselves just cos they couldn't make good scores in Jamb to do courses like "microbiology, agric science, guidance and counselling etc" in todays "Nigeria", you can't help but wonder if such people are born stoopid. I'm not saying those courses aint great, they might be outside this shores but in Nigeria and with a mere Nigerian Bsc?c'ommon please!!!

Next, what was the graduates GPA?whatever, however, anyhow, every undergraduate in Naija should aim for 2nd class minimum. ie 2.2 .

Third, grab an short professional course you can while waiting. It enhances your CV. Even a new foreign language.

Don't ignore little beginings. Go for a job not cos the salary is great but consider the boost it would do to your CV. Plus the experience you'll grab.

Network!!! Anywhere you go, church, club, fbk, twitter etc look for positive people and network with them. Grab opportunities, sell yourself at every given time.

Think of being your own boss. Look around your immediate enviroment, what "demand" can you "supply" ?

Consult God!
so microbiology na cheap course abi ? wetin u read ? medicine ? rocket science ? drilling engineering and integrated operations or pure and applied mathematics ? u dey insult other people courses abi ? because u gat job ? mind you i didnt read microbiology but i did electives from that dept few years ago, boi it was difficult. Thank God i graduated and served without c.o from mcb
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by JagaJaga1: 2:38pm On Oct 16, 2012
alienware: so microbiology na cheap course abi ? wetin u read ? medicine ? rocket science ? drilling engineering and integrated operations or pure and applied mathematics ? u dey insult other people courses abi ? because u gat job ? mind you i didnt read microbiology but i did electives from that dept few years ago, boi it was difficult. Thank God i graduated and served without c.o from mcb
Help me tell am oooh. I hear employers who tell me that your first degree is trivial.
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by futurewise11(m): 3:29pm On Oct 16, 2012
@op
be closer to God.also pray and fast.
Can u drive?if not learn driving.its just 5k and within 2weeks u are done.look for someone car to practice very well,
Then come to lagos island,VI,ikoyi,lekki,ikeja.within 1month u will get a driving job with salary of 35 to 40k per month.if u are lucky to work with someone
In the head office,explain to him that u have bsc,he might be of help.chaep and easy.frm there u can plan ahead and do a lot of networking in the church club anywhere.
But always put God first in everything is very important.
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by salt1: 4:30pm On Oct 16, 2012
lacicrips: What I noticed about some Nigerian graduates is that they are all looking for already made companies. None wants to struggle with a start-up business. What they don't realize is that you learn more practical skills and given more opportunities to excel in a "one-man show" as they always like to point out.

In as much as it is good to start small, one man biz can be slave trade. The owner will take every second of your time and pay peanuts or not pay at all.
unless you are understudying the biz to learn how to set up yours, it often doesn't help. You don't earn well, can't learn a new trade, and won't have time for yourself
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 16, 2012
The only hope you have is in heaven, so go and commit suicide mtchewwww...as rugged as the nigerian society is, everyone fights to survive, even those that did not have higher education, sit down there dey look for job wey no dey
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by dayokanu(m): 5:08pm On Oct 16, 2012
6yrs no work

Na wa oo
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 16, 2012
Guy go learn mechanic job sad
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 16, 2012
dayokanu: 6yrs no work

Na wa oo
e for go do yahoo yahoo sad
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by koolg: 9:57pm On Oct 16, 2012

This is inspiring.
What am I waiting for
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by tonym1(m): 11:24pm On Oct 16, 2012
There is always hope never give up and something is round the corner for you
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by tonytopples: 12:01am On Oct 17, 2012
It can be hard i knw, bt i think the essence of education is for U̶̲̥̅̊ 2 go and acquire a knowledge that wil aid U̶̲̥̅̊ solve a problem. This is Nigeria and we Hªvε̲̣̣̣̥ ‎​ plenty of problems that need solving. Ask God to open ur eyes 2 see a problems and wisdom 2 solve them nd nt JƱڪτ̲̅ opportunities 2 exploit. Solve one problem and money gushes forth. Gudluck and may d lord help U̶̲̥̅̊!
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by iamjean(m): 2:50am On Oct 17, 2012
Find way jand, 9ja casted
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by Olive234(m): 6:27am On Oct 17, 2012
The solution to your problem is Jesus.when you embrace Him all this matter will be a thing of the past.All other advice na long story;all you need is JESUS...
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by yommy2sure(m): 7:51am On Oct 17, 2012
In as much as some courses are judged not to be so relevant becos of the nija factors...I will like to say be good...i mean excellence will open doors for you. There are tonnes of graduates of microbiology, social studies, soil science, agric based courses at KPMG which is a good place to work as u learn a lot and leave better than u went in. My point be good, i mean very good in whatever u end up studying and be open as much as possible to positive change
Re: Any Hope For A Graduate After Six Years Of Joblessness? by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 17, 2012
I'm also in the same shoe o,i'v been searching for employment for the past 3years now,i studied civil engineering(HND) and had a distinction,but all i keep hearing during interview is we need someone with 5-10yrs experience,the only handwork i learnt is playing the keyboard and drumset but i don't like getting payed for playing in churches,i need your advice please cos i'm frustrated....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Save One's N-Power Salary And Start A New Business? / Npower Payroll / What Does Working Hard Actually Mean To You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.