Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

What Happened To MR BIGGS? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Happened To MR BIGGS? (49847 Views)

Student Finds Cockroach Inside A Meat Pie She Bought At Mr. Biggs(pic / Photo: See What Mr Biggs Sell As Meat Pie / Mr Biggs' Fried Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by ini4brandon(m): 4:52am On Jul 28, 2013
here's how mr briggs died in Uyo: thier two outlets in the town were attacked simultaneously by two separate entrepreneurs who opened Oliver tweest (@brooks st. adjacent Bigg's) and Food Affairs(I.k road beside Bigg's) . While Mr BIGGS was content offering pastries and rice, these competition went ahead and included african cuisine in their menu. with these more "practical' menu options, customers swarmed there. When MR BIGG'S finally introduced Village Kitchen it was 2 years too late. MORAL LESSON: be quick to adapt to change.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by texaco1: 5:01am On Jul 28, 2013
Ola one:
Because it is not true, Sir. I mean the Coca Cola story. Ask yourself: are these 2 people immortal? Do these 2 people have emeritus status at Coca Cola? I mean are they employees of Coca Cola for life? They kept the secrets to the recipe 100 years ago and in this 21st century, they are still the custodians of the recipes in question, while still working at Coca Cola?

This is super story jare.
i was about to write the same thing too ,and are these 2 people the only one moving from one coca cola plant to another all over the world to produce ?coca cola has over 200 plants how can only 2 people know the recipe ?
nairaland get super stories oooo grin grin grin grin
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by ini4brandon(m): 5:01am On Jul 28, 2013
cheleku: Biggs is dead. I went to one recently-the one along Ziks avenue Awka- and I couldn't believe what happened. Nepa took light and the waiters simply turned on their kerosene lamps....omo, as if that wasn't enough, Johnson my mechanic, who happens to have his workshop beside the eatery,came in with his dirty garbs to charge his phone!
I no lie.
sadly you are right bro. AT the outlet along brooks str. in Uyo, i noticed that NEPA had forced them to introduce 'candle lit dinner'.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 5:17am On Jul 28, 2013
texaco1:
i was about to write the same thing too ,and are these 2 people the only one moving from one coca cola plant to another all over the world to produce ?coca cola has over 200 plants how can only 2 people know the recipe ?
grin grin
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nuzo1(m): 11:23am On Jul 28, 2013
Ola one:
Because it is not true, Sir. I mean the Coca Cola story. Ask yourself: are these 2 people immortal? Do these 2 people have emeritus status at Coca Cola? I mean are they employees of Coca Cola for life? They kept the secrets to the recipe 100 years ago and in this 21st century, they are still the custodians of the recipes in question, while still working at Coca Cola?

This is super story jare.

Well, I don't work with coca cola....so I can't authoritatively confirm that story. However, the "super story" is well documented from reliable and known sources. It also tends to corroborate with the fact that no cola making company has been able to come up with anything near coca cola taste, even pepsi....hence the staying power. Even without much advert and innovation.

The story has it that the 2 people are mandated to pass it down to one of their trusted confidant as they retire. So, its not like only 2 people know the secret from day one.

As gullible as it may sound, I choose to believe this story. I however respect the views of those who don't.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nuzo1(m): 11:34am On Jul 28, 2013
texaco1:

No, they don't go to all the coca cola plant to prepare these ingreddients for them. They simply sit in their lab, prepare it and move it to their plants all over the world. A litre of the chemical can produce thousands of bottle of coke.

For a start, I recommend "Coca-Cola: The Real Story Behind the Real Thing," by CNBC.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by texaco1: 12:13pm On Jul 28, 2013
Nuzo':

No, they don't go to all the coca cola plant to prepare these ingreddients for them. They simply sit in their lab, prepare it and move it to their plants all over the world. A litre of the chemical can produce thousands of bottle of coke.

For a start, I recommend "Coca-Cola: The Real Story Behind the Real Thing," by CNBC.
They sit down in their secret lab(hen send it to over 300plants of coca cola world wide to add water to it and produce millions of litres of coke on a daily basis!na wa for ur story ooooo
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 12:18pm On Jul 28, 2013
Nuzo':

Well, I don't work with coca cola....so I can't authoritatively confirm that story. However, the "super story" is well documented from reliable and known sources. [size=16pt]It also tends to corroborate with the fact that no cola making company has been able to come up with anything near coca cola taste, even pepsi....hence the staying power. Even without much advert and innovation.
[/size]
The story has it that the 2 people are mandated to pass it down to one of their trusted confidant as they retire. So, its not like only 2 people know the secret from day one.

As gullible as it may sound, I choose to believe this story. I however respect the views of those who don't.
It is a marketing thing, my brother. BTW, Coca Cola invests heavily on innovation and advertising.

And, the only reason why you think Coca Cola tastes better is because the company enjoys your 'loyalty'. One of the things branding, advertising and innovation are meant to achieve.

Physical security of the secret recipe

After Dr. John S. Pemberton invented Coca-Cola in 1886, the formula was kept a close secret, only shared with a small group and not written down. In 1891, Asa Candler became the sole proprietor of Coca-Cola after purchasing the rights to the business. Then, in 1919, Ernest Woodruff and a group of investors purchased the Company from Candler and his family. To finance the purchase Woodruff arranged a loan and as collateral he provided documentation of the formula by asking Candler's son to commit the formula to paper. This was placed in a vault in the Guaranty Bank in New York until the loan was repaid in 1925. At that point, Woodruff reclaimed the secret formula and returned it to Atlanta and placed it in the Trust Company Bank, now SunTrust Bank, where it remained through 2011.[27] On December 8, 2011, the Coca-Cola Company moved the secret formula to a purpose built vault in a permanent interactive exhibit at the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta.[28]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_formula

^^I can count at least 10 people already. And, that's just for the US. A marketing ploy, I repeat. You can also read Snopes article: "Have a Cloak and a Smile"http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp

KFC likes to use similar marketing ploy, the so-called 11 secret herbs undecided
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 12:36pm On Jul 28, 2013
I decided to dig deep because of your insistence.

From Coca Cola website:

About nutritional information:
How much caffeine is contained in _______?

For many of our brands, the nutritional information varies from one country to another. For products in the U.S., you can review nutritional information on our website. For products in other countries, please send us an email and we will reply with the requested information.
^^If the nutritional information defers from country to country, how then can the recipes remain the same? You tell me.

As for advertising expenses, read this:

As for expenditures, we expense production costs of print, radio, internet and television advertisements as of the first date the advertisements take place. The following amounts reflect the total worldwide amounts spent on print, radio, internet, and television advertising. Advertising expenses included in selling, administrative and general expenses were approximately:

2006: $2.6 billion
2005: $2.5 billion
2004: $2.2 billion
2003: $1.8 billion
2002: $1.7 billion
2001: $2.0 billion
2000: $1.7 billion
1999: $1.7 billion
1998: $1.6 billion
1997: $1.6 billion
1996: $1.4 billion
1995: $1.3 billion
1994: $1.1 billion
1993: $1.0 billion
http://www.coca-colacompany.com/contact-us/faqs

Okay now?
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 12:52pm On Jul 28, 2013
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 28, 2013
Their food was becoming poisonous.....but sizzlers is more poisonous esp their egusi soup. angry angry
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 28, 2013
DICKtator: Won't only tag their demise on competition. After all, they had the goodwill and strong customer base ,which they could have leveraged on, before the so-called competition arose.
The problems were bad management, the franchisor-franchisee agreement where most of the franchise did not work on their total quality management.
Most were producing low-quality products and even services(Seen where the counter guys and security harass you for money?)
the mince-pie became flour/yeast-pie.
pilfering of their goods and inflated procurement prices.
i doubt if they studied their competitiors
All these still encompasses bad management
now mr smallz
grin grin grin grin
you've z it al.i workd as an accnt supervisor btw 2007 n 2011
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nuzo1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 28, 2013
Ola one:
It is a marketing thing, my brother. BTW, Coca Cola invests heavily on innovation and advertising.

And, the only reason why you think Coca Cola tastes better is because the company enjoys your 'loyalty'. One of the things branding, advertising and innovation are meant to achieve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_formula

^^I can count at least 10 people already. And, that's just for the US. A marketing ploy, I repeat. You can also read Snopes article: "Have a Cloak and a Smile"http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp

KFC likes to use similar marketing ploy, the so-called 11 secret herbs undecided

Like I said before, its ok to believe its just a marketing strategy. I don't believe.

Of course, coca cola spends lots of money on adverts and innovations but not even a quater of what pepsi spends yet it keeps dwarfing pepsi in patronage except in USA where bonanza, huge endorsements and expensive adverts has made pepsi measure up.

And no sir, coca cola doesn't taste better than any other cola products cos 'loyalty'. Its actually cos of the recipe.
If blind men could know the difference in taste, who I'm I then?
If you think otherwise, pls carry out a research in the comfort of your kitchen to confirm. Pour out coca cola and pepsi out in different glasses, mix the glasses up and drink.

As for the KFC 11 secret herbs, I've been opportuned have a friend whose restuarant has become so busy cos of the secret spices he uses. There are expensive tho. grin tongue
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2013
Nuzo':

Like I said before, its ok to believe its just a marketing strategy. I don't believe.

[size=23pt]Of course, coca cola spends lots of money on adverts and innovations but not even a quater of what pepsi spends yet it keeps dwarfing pepsi in patronage except in USA where bonanza, huge endorsements and expensive adverts has made pepsi measure up.
[/size]
And no sir, coca cola doesn't taste better than any other cola products cos 'loyalty'. Its actually cos of the recipe.
If blind men could know the difference in taste, who I'm I then?
If you think otherwise, pls carry out a research in the comfort of your kitchen to confirm. Pour out coca cola and pepsi out in different glasses, mix the glasses up and drink.

As for the KFC 11 secret herbs, I've been opportuned have a friend whose restuarant has become so busy cos of the secret spices he uses. There are expensive tho. grin tongue

What are you talking about? PepsiCo spends more? Are you kidding me? read this:

Pepsi needs to play catch-up in marketing. Its ad spending on beverages has trailed Coca-Cola in both absolute terms and as a percentage of sales for years. In each of the past three years, Coca-Cola spent close to $3 billion on advertising, while PepsiCo spent less than $2 billion promoting its beverage brands.

As a percentage of sales, Coca-Cola spent 8% on marketing in 2010, while PepsiCo spent just 3% on its beverage brands, according to analysis from Jefferies & Co.

Analysts across-the-board are calling for the snack-and-beverage giant to increase its ad spending in 2012 by $400 million to $500 million. Much of the additional investment is expected to focus on North American beverages, though some snack brands could also benefit. Significant cost-cutting to fund the investment -- including layoffs -- is likely.
http://adage.com/article/news/pepsi-pours-fortune-marketing-drinks-indulgent-snacks/232405/
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 6:17pm On Jul 28, 2013
Nuzo':

It is really a well-kept secret to the extent some chef in KFC, Bodija, Ibadan outlet, is in the know. What a secret!
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 6:23pm On Jul 28, 2013
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2013
Nuzo':

A research in my kitchen? heheheh grin

The so-called media circus Coca-Cola have around their products really worked/works. haba! Also, there is something called presupposition.

Just read this:
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by texaco1: 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2013
Ola one: And, from Bloomberg:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-27/pepsico-may-boost-marketing-budget-to-take-on-a-surging-coca-cola-retail.html

Abeg, free me jare undecided
You sef you get time ,leave our friend alone with his secret coca cola and kfc recipe.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by drmikeadams(m): 10:19pm On Jul 28, 2013
mr biggs still my joint any time any day..i dey seee dem 4 dream sef
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by texaco1: 10:27pm On Jul 28, 2013
dr_mike_adams: mr biggs still my joint any time any day..i dey seee dem 4 dream sef
shocked shocked shocked u dey chop for dream ?
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 28, 2013
Mr Biggs saw something and has since not recovered...this thing is making mr Biggs to resemble Mr Smallz.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by SmokinHotBabe(f): 3:15pm On Feb 06, 2016
Bad management. All those Mr Biggs outlets you see now are not managed by UAC again. All owned by individuals.

Also UAC does not really monitor them.

Meat pie has differntr tatse in different Mr Biggs.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by drewxx88(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2016
twaintoy:
Come to Akure, the Ondo State capital, u will see a mr biggz branch using candle to serve the only 1 customer they have. There was a day I asked the lady that posses as the boss why they alwayz use candles, she said the gen was not working and no fuel. Its either there's no ice cream or pop corn, the only thing they have left is the left-over friend and jollof rice over the counter. Go to Ado Ekiti, mr biggz have folded up, infact, the building have been sold out. In Osun state, Ondo and ekiti states, there is a new eatery in town called Captain Cook. This eatery have succeded in ruining and closing down all mr biggz outlets across these 3states I mentioned earlier. The reign of mr biggz have come and gone. I doubt if they can still reign again.
your right cos all thru my stay in FUTA I noticed too students would rather go to captain cook and wanmore bakery rather than Mr Biggs
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Edu3Again: 2:29pm On Jun 15, 2017
who has replaced Mr Biggs as the number outlet?
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by NoToPile: 8:54am On Jun 16, 2017
WarHorse1:
The real reason Mr. Biggs fell this bad is little to do with bad customer service. Rather the business they are into was the cause. Many will say Mr. Biggs was into the business of fast-food. For me, capital NO. They were into the business of selling class satisfaction. Why did you ever go to Mr. Biggs to get whatever you eat? My guess? You wanted to please your girl or you wanted to give yourself a treat for a month end pay or your financial level demanded that Mr. Biggs was the place or you wanted to experience eating in a cozy cozy conditioning. Hardly, maybe a few times, did you go there because you wanted food that fast.

Now, I was in Benin when Mr.Biggs came in. The queues were busting the glass doors. It was the only one back then in time. The wealthy in town flocked there. I remember see some Edo house of Assembly guys there. It was a thing of pride to walk the streets with a Mr. biggs paper bag. Guys saved money to give their babes a one time treat there. Then came another (can't remember the name now) at Airport-road - I think it was owned by the one Mr.Prest. People started to opt for the new one in town. Yes, maybe there were some difference in the taste of the food. But one glaring difference was the look of the place. It was far better than that of Mr. Biggs. Then came Kaddies, with new looks and new attractions, it won people from the previous operators and so on and so forth - Tantalizers, chicken republic etc.

It was clear. The only way to stay competitive in this business was to put on added impressive looks or physical attractions. Interestingly, operators like GT foods are still in business. Why? Because their business is selling food not selling class satisfaction. GT sells food at comparatively lesser price in basic decent places. They even open outlets in student populated areas.

Much of Mr. Biggs outlets are still wearing the looks they used in winning the so called class market. It is just that those looks have been obliterated by the new ones. Just imagine if Mr. Biggs opens something like what Orientals have in Lagos at VI. Men!, they would be back in Business but for a while - while "it" lasts.

McDonald is operating in a country that is less class oriented as Nigeria. Selling in a class sensitive society requires difference rules of the game.

Mr. Biggs has two options and option one is - build more attractive outlets (possibly name them after some of our celebrities)and sell the same thing as they do now grin grin grin (Nigeria funny o) or sell food in basic but decent outlets to the average class. Doing business in Nigeria na wahala cry cry cry grin grin grin

This is it.
Succinctly put.

I think food sold in basic but decent outlets will sell well on the island considering the large amount of average nigerians working there. The more classy ones for the classier people .
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by bukatyne(f): 6:02am On May 23, 2019
WarHorse1:
The real reason Mr. Biggs fell this bad is little to do with bad customer service. Rather the business they are into was the cause. Many will say Mr. Biggs was into the business of fast-food. For me, capital NO. They were into the business of selling class satisfaction. Why did you ever go to Mr. Biggs to get whatever you eat? My guess? You wanted to please your girl or you wanted to give yourself a treat for a month end pay or your financial level demanded that Mr. Biggs was the place or you wanted to experience eating in a cozy cozy conditioning. Hardly, maybe a few times, did you go there because you wanted food that fast.

Now, I was in Benin when Mr.Biggs came in. The queues were busting the glass doors. It was the only one back then in time. The wealthy in town flocked there. I remember see some Edo house of Assembly guys there. It was a thing of pride to walk the streets with a Mr. biggs paper bag. Guys saved money to give their babes a one time treat there. Then came another (can't remember the name now) at Airport-road - I think it was owned by the one Mr.Prest. People started to opt for the new one in town. Yes, maybe there were some difference in the taste of the food. But one glaring difference was the look of the place. It was far better than that of Mr. Biggs. Then came Kaddies, with new looks and new attractions, it won people from the previous operators and so on and so forth - Tantalizers, chicken republic etc.

It was clear. The only way to stay competitive in this business was to put on added impressive looks or physical attractions. Interestingly, operators like GT foods are still in business. Why? Because their business is selling food not selling class satisfaction. GT sells food at comparatively lesser price in basic decent places. They even open outlets in student populated areas.

Much of Mr. Biggs outlets are still wearing the looks they used in winning the so called class market. It is just that those looks have been obliterated by the new ones. Just imagine if Mr. Biggs opens something like what Orientals have in Lagos at VI. Men!, they would be back in Business but for a while - while "it" lasts.

McDonald is operating in a country that is less class oriented as Nigeria. Selling in a class sensitive society requires difference rules of the game.

Mr. Biggs has two options and option one is - build more attractive outlets (possibly name them after some of our celebrities)and sell the same thing as they do now grin grin grin (Nigeria funny o) or sell food in basic but decent outlets to the average class. Doing business in Nigeria na wahala cry cry cry grin grin grin

This is insightful.

Now, I am relating with how fast food has grown in Nigeria.

They now position themselves as a place to eat away from home.

Some have also keyed into healthy living stuff and stocking more natural alternatives.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by marylandcakes: 11:28am On May 23, 2019
I I was at the one at the local terminal in Ikeji, it looked very dirty and twice I bought a snack they lady at the till didn’t have change. Mr Bigs has lost its glory and looks more like a food kiosk.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Acidosis(m): 2:39pm On May 23, 2019
A different perspective;

Mr Biggs died when UAC management placed more emphasis and focus on selling franchise than good meals and quality customer experience. 150 outlets bla bla...to what end? UAC wanted a big brand with wide coverage without weighing the implications. Mr Biggs became too big (through reckless sales of franchise) to the extent the management lost control over many outlets.

Compare Mr Biggs with another old brand - Mama Cass - you would see a big difference in class and brand positioning. Thankfully, the newer fast food brands e.g. The Place is carefully following Mama Cass' strategy. Although the newer brands need to watch their pricing. N2000-2500 to eat one tiny pounded yam with Titus and bottle water is ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by barag(f): 4:11pm On May 23, 2019
Acidosis:
A different perspective;

Mr Biggs died when UAC management placed more emphasis and focus on selling franchise than good meals and quality customer experience. 150 outlets bla bla...to what end? UAC wanted a big brand with wide coverage without weighing the implications. Mr Biggs became too big (through reckless sales of franchise) to the extent the management lost control over many outlets.

Compare Mr Biggs with another old brand - Mama Cass - you would see a big difference in class and brand positioning. Thankfully, the newer fast food brands e.g. The Place is carefully following Mama Cass' strategy. Although the newer brands need to watch their pricing. N2000-2500 to eat one tiny pounded yam with Titus and bottle water is ridiculous.

Lol @ Titus and bottled water. Are you serious?
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Acidosis(m): 4:31pm On May 23, 2019
barag:

Lol @ Titus and bottled water. Are you serious?

The thing shock me my sister. How much to buy one tuber of yam with a kilo of Titus?

To be fair to them sha, they make good meals with some 'added advantage' (whole and diced ponmo) grin
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Ykktulip: 10:09am On May 27, 2019
Mama Put joints have greatly evolved to provide neater environment that are very conducive for even corporate people to eat. You get delicious good for less. They are the real competition for local fast food joints and they are really cleaning out in profits

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Food Section Derailer’s Paradise: All Food Lovers Are Welcome / Lacasera: Does It Contain Bleaching Chemical ? / See The Little Potatoe I Bought For 1K Today (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.