Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) (53246 Views)

What The Inside Of The Planet Mars Looks Like. / Scientists Discover New Frog Species That Coughs And Groans (pic) / NASA Scientists Finds Message From God On Planet Mars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by MajeOfficial: 4:44pm On Oct 13, 2012

Future generations of astronauts could come back wealthy men - Yale scientists have detected a huge 'super-Earth' made of diamonds. The study estimates that at least a third of the planet’s mass - the equivalent of about three times the mass of Earth - could be diamond.

Earth weighs 5973600000000000000000000kg, and a kilo of reasonable quality diamonds currently fetches sums of $50 million and above. It orbits a sun-like star 40 light years from Earth, so any mineral prospectors would have quite a journey to stake their claim on its riches.

The planet is twice as wide as Earth, and has a mass eight times greater. It is thought to be covered in graphite - the material found in the 'lead' of pencils - and diamonds.

“This is our first glimpse of a rocky world with a fundamentally different chemistry from Earth,” said lead researcher Nikku Madhusudhan, a Yale postdoctoral researcher in physics and astronomy.

“The surface of this planet is likely covered in graphite and diamond rather than water and granite.”

The planet -- called 55 Cancri e - is one of five planets orbiting a Sun-like star, 55 Cancri, that is located 40 light-years from Earth yet visible to the unclad eye in the constellation of Cancer.

The planet orbits at hyper speed -- its year lasts just 18 hours, in contrast to Earth’s 365 days. It is also blazingly hot, with a temperature of about 3,900 degrees Fahrenheit, researchers said, a far cry from a habitable world. The planet was first observed transiting its star last year, allowing astronomers to measure its radius for the first time.

This new information, combined with the most recent estimate of its mass, allowed Madhusudhan and colleagues to infer its chemical composition using models of its interior.

The scientists computed all possible combinations of elements and compounds that would yield those specific characteristics.

The new research suggests the planet has no water at all, and appears to be composed primarily of carbon (as graphite and diamond), iron, silicon carbide, and, possibly, some silicates.

“By contrast, Earth’s interior is rich in oxygen, but extremely poor in carbon -- less than a part in thousand by mass,” says co-author and Yale geophysicist Kanani Lee.

“Stars are simple -- given a star’s mass and age, you know its basic structure and history,” said David Spergel, professor of astronomy and chair of astrophysical sciences at Princeton University, who is not a co-author of the study. “Planets are much more complex. This ‘diamond-rich super-Earth’ is likely just one example of the rich sets of discoveries that await us as we begin to explore planets around nearby stars.”

In 2011, Madhusudhan led the first discovery of a carbon-rich atmosphere in a distant gas giant planet, opening the possibility of long-theorized carbon-rich rocky planets (or “diamond planets”).

The new research represents the first time that astronomers have identified a likely diamond planet around a Sun-like star and specified its chemical make-up.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/huge-alien-planet-is--made-of-diamonds---say-scientists.html
topic by [/b]www..com [b]for nollywood on your phone

5 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by 2million1(m): 5:10pm On Oct 13, 2012
Wow....this is amazing
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by polokor60(m): 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2012
wow !!!!!cool
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Osiris211: 6:15pm On Oct 13, 2012
Could this be heaven? The religious folks told us the roads over there are tarred with gold and diamonds.

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Super1759: 6:35pm On Oct 13, 2012
SPIRITUALLY....I can say heaven is here
WORLDLY....now the rich have another home
SCIENTIFICALLY....the end of earth has come
..I wish I can relocate

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by wiegraf: 6:44pm On Oct 13, 2012
Is this confirmed

SCIENCE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by solomon111(m): 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2012
This shows the validity of John's vision of heaven.
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by BJ4REEL(m): 7:05pm On Oct 13, 2012
Hmmm.....interesting.....
Awesome God!.....
HIS handy work of creations are unimaginable and immeasurable!

12 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Rooneyboy(m): 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2012
we've got to visit here with our AK47's,
190 are u joining us on this particular one

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by rman: 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2012
It is not habitable so it cant be heaven

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Rossikk(m): 7:21pm On Oct 13, 2012
Heaven is a spiritual location, not some physical, diamond crusted planet.

6 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by seedord247(m): 7:21pm On Oct 13, 2012
Naija astronaut on the way. grin

5 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Areaboy2(m): 7:22pm On Oct 13, 2012
wiegraf: Is this confirmed

SCIENCE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

Yea it is indeed and they have theorized this long long ago. Just amazing to confirm things like this smiley

it is amazing to discover what is out there so we can stick it in the face of religionists cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by okoro2real(m): 7:23pm On Oct 13, 2012
I need d address to dis pls.

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by bid4rich(m): 7:23pm On Oct 13, 2012
They have discovered it, they should enter now or cant they?

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by vislabraye(m): 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2012
Just pray that a piece of the star would just fall in my backyard without causing any damage.

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by OmoAlata(f): 7:26pm On Oct 13, 2012
[quote author=]

t orbits a sun-like star 40 light years from Earth, so any mineral prospectors would have quite a journey to stake their claim on its riches.[/quote]

It'll take you 40 years to get there shocked
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Beync(f): 7:26pm On Oct 13, 2012
how can i find my way there?
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 13, 2012
God and his fables keeps getting smaller and smaller.. thanks to HUMAN reasoning..

some particular leadership are still battling with providing good governance and electricity for its people...

7 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Areaboy2(m): 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2012
vislabraye: Just pray that a piece of the star would just fall in my backyard without causing any damage.

not a chance!

with the density of that thing, you don't want even a football sized one falling anywhere near where you live tongue

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by kingsceemark(m): 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2012
Super1759: SPIRITUALLY....I can say heaven is here
WORLDLY....now the rich have another home
SCIENTIFICALLY....the end of earth has come
..I wish I can relocate
Relocate 2 HELL i guess
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Bobbo(m): 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2012
See u guys on the other side... "diamond things"
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by sapien(m): 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2012
#packing my things# Where the planet @?
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by magnificio(m): 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2012
Cool discovery, wish i cud see it
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by anonymous419: 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2012
I wanted to b a doctor, but nw I think I want to b an astronaut

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2012
Omo Alata:

40 light years not 40 years..

Travelling at the speed of light. for 40 years.. by the time u come back, u no go remember ur papa or market...

14 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Areaboy2(m): 7:29pm On Oct 13, 2012
Omo Alata:

40 years travelling at the speed of light!!! grin grin grin grin grin

all though, at that speed time virtually slows down to almost nothing and you will get there and back but no one will be waiting for you. tongue

5 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2012
One day, Oyinbo go discover the exact location of heaven. . .and find a way to reach there without having to die first.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2012
With this, one can presume/deduce that, these people may discover heaven. Meet aside, think they think of a way to device a means of exploiting those treasures, however, they should be weary of aliens. cheesy
Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by Areaboy2(m): 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2012
magnificio: Cool discovery, wish i cud see it

wish I could too, but there are plenty more beautiful things we can see too. The goddess of love is an amazing sight through a telescope, although you can vaguely spot her in the night sky with your naked (Censorship fail undecided) eyes wink

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by amiskurie(m): 7:33pm On Oct 13, 2012
My igbo brodas go begin develop spacecraft soon,

4 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Planet Made Of Diamonds (Picture) by joshuaidibia(m): 7:35pm On Oct 13, 2012
seedord247: Naija astronaut on the way. grin
lol. na flying tins# covun pilots

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Lunar Eclipse. Did You Experience It??? / Woman Flees Her House In The Middle Of the Night After Finding A Python / Meet Hackerfemo Femi Owolade-Coombs - A White Kid With Nigerian Name That Codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.