Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,762 members, 7,806,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? (16782 Views)

Can A Born Again Give A Head During Sex? / Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? / How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by dridowu: 1:52pm On Oct 21, 2012
A REAL MAN OF GOD CANNOT BE SOLDIER
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by ghettodreamz(m): 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2012
Really a controversial topic. In my own opinion, I don't think it's wrong for a born again christian to be a soldier. Being in the force is an occupation and a call to protect ones nation as a serviceman.

God is against laziness. For a lazy man to be wise, he needs to observe the life pattern of the ants as a typical example. The ants are so industrious workers whose diligence and industriousness not only provides for its presence but also help prepares for the future. If an ant could toil to feed then nothing stops a born again from working regardless of the nature of the job as long as it doesn't negates the law of a country or the word of God.

Furthermore, Scripture says if a man does not work he should not eat, 2 Thessalonians 3:10 God will not feed you physically or spiritual without your own exerted effort.

With the aforementioned, a born again christian can be a soldier.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by ArQueBusieR(m): 2:47pm On Oct 21, 2012
dridowu: A REAL MAN OF GOD CANNOT BE SOLDIER
Yeah right. In your dreams. tongue
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by einsteine(m): 3:10pm On Oct 21, 2012
Youngzedd:

Why not.
You see u went to church and your mind isn't there instead thinking another thing that should come after the service. Don't tell me u're a christain.

Lets channel to the bible those that fought wars and killed.
1) Abraham
2) King David
3) King Saul.
4) Mose also killed.
5) Elija and bal niggaz
6) Joshua
7) Etc.

Imagine David killed thousands just to marry Saul's daughter.

If so the above shouldn't see the gate of heaven.
Our thoughts/reasoning divers from the most high God.

If you know that somebody will kill you and u didn't defend ur self and u die, listen satan will give u an award in hell. If I be satan ur punishment go worst pass.

Am a pure christain, I just came back from church.

If war is involved, I tell you finish your enemies.
Even if your enemy is christian? Come on. Let me give you an example. Say nigeria and cameroun are at war, would you be doing a good thing by picking up arms and killing Camerounian christians? @ Post, a true christian should be a consectious objector.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 3:43pm On Oct 21, 2012
every born again Christians are actually soldiers, youknowwhati'msaying?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by swiftycool(m): 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2012
You guys are so funny trying to twist the truth to make yourselves look innocent. The other day a born again soldier was sent on a secret mission to kill a number of people in a community by his superiors. He followed orders and wiped out almost all the men in one community while his comrades raped the women all because he was obeying the last order which was an oath he had sworn (TO MAN)
Even ground troups are supporters of this agenda to provide logistics to help the killers sent to the front

As a military man u have no rights to question authority even if your superior is an evil person with secret selfish reasons for attacking other nations as it is with the US. Riddle me this: is it justified to see beyond your spiritual brotherly bond and shoot another born again christian in the head because he wears a different uniform and supports different ideals. Maybe obeying man is more important, and pls stop going back to the old testament when justifying this evils, its really lame!

2 Likes

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by swiftycool(m): 3:54pm On Oct 21, 2012
ghettodreamz: Really a controversial topic. In my own opinion, I don't think it's wrong for a born again christian to be a soldier. Being in the force is an occupation and a call to protect ones nation as a serviceman.

God is against laziness. For a lazy man to be wise, he needs to observe the life pattern of the ants as a typical example. The ants are so industrious workers whose diligence and industrious spirits not only earn them their present but also help them to save for the future. If an ant could toil to feed then nothing stops a born again from working regardless of the nature of the job as long as it doesn't negates the law of a country or the word of God.

undecided Have u ever read "Thou shall not kill" ? Or is there a latest remix
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Philipsdael(m): 3:55pm On Oct 21, 2012
Youngzedd:

Do you remember in the book of revelation during the end time that there will be war, nation against nation, this and that.

Now tell me are you the one that will stop the prophecy?
abegi make we hear word jor....na today?.....
Nations have being fighting against nations even before God printed the 1st commandment so what are you saying.....i dont know why we christians are so brainwash by the bible.....a book that is compromised with contradictions........mtww!!!
Thats that...
Now to the topic.
Jesus said "love thy neighbour as thy self" do you actually know the meaning of that simple sentence?.... If you will do as He says
a true "born-again" should not aid violence or killing in any way or manner.... Many only claim to be christian rather they are pagans living by their own compromised laws that fits their material needs.

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Gwazah(m): 4:00pm On Oct 21, 2012
bory09: A good born again christian should not join soldier. Why its because soldier activities does not portray love and peace rather violent and hatred. Even jesus says in his word that we should forgive all that sin against us. If we forgive our fellow brethren why should we go to war. If even when peter in the bible try to cause violent when the pharisee soldier is arresting jesus. Jesus stop peter this is to show us that jesus himself prefer peaceful negotiation than violent war which the soldier engage in
As gud xtians we shud mek a gud research b4 coming out 2 talk. Do u research de history of SODIERs? Its started in de bible! Among all de ancient citys of isreal whom worship GOD wit luv and passion whic of them dat was wit out its army? Which country dat exist wit out army as of them? Let me tell u an obedient sodier is a servant of GOD even if he kills thausands of peo. Cos he kills 2 protect de innocent, except if he kils on his own but if he take orders, he does a gud job. It is our duty 2 protect our nation them if we can't sacrifys who will? Let a country lives witout its army 2day nd see if he can not be captured by naghbouring countrys 2 be under them.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by sirwyte(m): 4:01pm On Oct 21, 2012
A real born again christian shldn't b in d army, simple nd short.

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2012
Yeah why not. But heaven no go too sure for dat kain person. There may be times you'd be instructed to kill, even when you don't want to.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 21, 2012
@Op: Abi you neva hear of "Salvation Army" before?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Lilcyl(m): 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2012
Youngzedd:

Why not.
You see u went to church and your mind isn't there instead thinking another thing that should come after the service. Don't tell me u're a christain.

1) Abraham
2) King David
3) King Saul.
4) Mose also killed.
5) Elija and bal niggaz
6) Joshua
7) Etc.

If you know that somebody will kill you and u didn't defend ur self and u die, listen satan will give u an award in hell. If I be satan ur punishment go worst pass.

This is wrong..cus all dis pips u mentioned lived before Christ came to earth to redeem us..dats were d name 'Christian' is gotten from meaning Christ like..it was recorded in the Bible dat Christ had no sin in Him thru out his stay on earth nd dat Christians shud b like him..was it recorded in d bible dat 'Moses, David, etc were Christian? dey dint specifically say dat dey were Christians, dey were just sons of God.. so among oda commandments, christians shudnt kill or fyt etc.. O.k Imagine a devoted christian being a boxer..is it possible?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Benito69(m): 5:27pm On Oct 21, 2012
Yes Christians can serve in the army...
Historical records show in the time of the roman empire, christian soldiers were present in Romes legions. (the problems arose when they refused to worship the emperor, and so, many left)
Another problem arises in times of war, certain christian scholars have dealt with the concept of 'just war'.
'Just war' here refers to defensive wars and/or preemptive wars that are undertaken to prevent a belligerent nation from certain actions'.
A good example of a 'just war' can be found in World War 2, where it was necessary for certain actions to be taken to stop the nazi's...
Most importantly for a christian, we are directed by what is found in the scriptures, we are instructed to protect the weak, punish the wicked, and ensure that fairness and justice prevails...sometimes these can not be achieved through peaceful means because the other party is using violence.
The function of a soldier is however not limited to fighting, he may serve as a peace-keeper too.
'Hitler would not have been defeated, if we used the tactics of Gandhi'.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by lekkie073(m): 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
Goldenheart: u guys ve been saying trash.......in the old testament isreal was considered GOD'S people.....any nation dat waged war against ISREAL was also waging war against GOD. And trust my GOD. He finishes them with his mighty arm. Through the isrealite.... Non isrealite bck in those days don't worship GOD, they are considered GOD'S ENEMIES. But nw that JESUS has paid d ultimate price to make us his people......to be cont.
so d non-israelites did not worship God in those days. that means they worshipped satan. its wonderful how d bible can so limit a person's reasoning capacity! cool
and in modern times what do d same israelites worship? since jesus is not part of judaism lore. #smh#
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by benzion72(m): 5:55pm On Oct 21, 2012
You are talking from point of ignorant of the Bible. God is a God of War, He is Jehovah the God of Host. David was a General who never looses a war. Abraham was a friend of God he fought and recover Lot from the marauder. Arch angel Michael fought satan and cast him to the earth.
Jesus said he could have called host of Angel to him, but he came so that the scripture might be fulfilled.
Friend when you go to war you don't kill human being you kill enemy who if he has the oppurtunity will kill you.

We must prepare for war to have peace. Look at hitler the tyrant if left alone he will kill the whole world. Now Boko Haram is fighting we should leave them to kill everybody in the name of the though shall not kill that is being stupid.

Remember Jesus Christ is coming to fight in company of the saint the battle of Armageddon
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by nedu2000(m): 6:04pm On Oct 21, 2012
Every country has to have some kind of armed security,the vatican and iran does.......so its once again a resounding YES
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by ghettodreamz(m): 6:10pm On Oct 21, 2012
swiftycool:

undecided Have u ever read "Thou shall not kill" ? Or is there a latest remix

Of course, that's one of the 10 commandments I learnt while I was growing up as child. So are you saying because the Bible says thou shall not kill, then a born again christian is forbidden of being a soldier? To state with definite clarity that a born again christian can be a soldier; evidences abounds in the Bible where nations rises against one another, and the Israelites who were chosen heirs of God aren't an exemption from this, yet God was with them and gave their enemies into their hands on several occasions.

If you are of the opinion that because God said that shall not kill, then a born again christian is forbidden of being a soldier, then you might as well said, a born again christian is forbidden of being a politician. For all I know, there is no any iota of godly wisdom in both the former and the latter, so get your facts right bro.

Fighting of war is not just a new thing, it happened thousands of years even before the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus also forewarned us of the end time signs; false prophets, false teachings, false signs and false miracles in which wars are no exemption. It might interest you to read the following Bible references;2 Chr. 15:5, 6, Luke 21:10,Isaiah 19:2 ,Revelation 6:4, Matthew 24:7
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Don4life: 7:21pm On Oct 21, 2012
Youngzedd:

Why not.

1) Abraham
2) King David
3) King Saul.
4) Mose also killed.
5) Elija and bal niggaz
6) Joshua
7) Etc.

#gbam!!!
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Lilcyl(m): 7:28pm On Oct 21, 2012
benzion72: You are talking from point of ignorant of the Bible. God is a God of War, He is Jehovah the God of Host. David was a General who never looses a war. Abraham was a friend of God he fought and recover Lot from the marauder. Arch angel Michael fought satan and cast him to the earth.
Jesus said he could have called host of Angel to him, but he came so that the scripture might be fulfilled.
Friend when you go to war you don't kill human being you kill enemy who if he has the oppurtunity will kill you.

We must prepare for war to have peace. Look at hitler the tyrant if left alone he will kill the whole world. Now Boko Haram is fighting we should leave them to kill everybody in the name of the though shall not kill that is being stupid.

Remember Jesus Christ is coming to fight in company of the saint the battle of Armageddon
we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but agnst darkness and principalities in high places..u guys lack knowledge frm d bible and mistaken the Old testament being the same wit the new testament..my broda.. Plz ask for wisdom and understandin from God wen ur readin ur Bible..dats if at al u do

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by rman: 7:29pm On Oct 21, 2012
Christians listing prophets that came before Jesus to justify Christians soldiers killing other Christians in war.

HYPOCRISY OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by legacyofalley: 7:30pm On Oct 21, 2012
i want to believe we all know dat the world will end, and there will be a chain of events. the world would not just stay and end on its own!..we as humans will destroy it our selves and dat is where soldiers come in...its just all part of the profescy.....there would be war agains nations..so i guess no matter ur religion, at one point we will all have to fight for our survival.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Lilcyl(m): 7:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
lekkie073:
so d non-israelites did not worship God in those days. that means they worshipped satan. its wonderful how d bible can so limit a person's reasoning capacity! cool
and in modern times what do d same israelites worship? since jesus is not part of judaism lore. #smh#
God said..my people perish because they lack wisdom..dis is a typical example..SMH..plz ask for wisdom and understandin of the word frm God..he'l giv it to u willingly..Tnk U
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by lekkie073(m): 7:40pm On Oct 21, 2012
Lilcyl:
God said..my people perish because they lack wisdom..dis is a typical example..SMH..plz ask for wisdom and understandin of the word frm God..he'l giv it to u willingly..Tnk U
God said blah blah blah......how did u know it was God dat said it? slowpoke >:

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Lilcyl(m): 7:58pm On Oct 21, 2012
lekkie073:
God said blah blah blah......how did u know it was God dat said it? slowpoke >:
wat a question..SMH
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by lekkie073(m): 8:09pm On Oct 21, 2012
Lilcyl:
wat a question..SMH
if u know a lot of things dat 'God said', u might as well know some that 'satan said' too. i.g.n.o.r.a.m.u.s!
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Lilcyl(m): 8:28pm On Oct 21, 2012
lekkie073:
if u know a lot of things dat 'God said', u might as well know some that 'satan said' too. i.g.n.o.r.a.m.u.s!

wateva!! ma point has been passed across eida ways
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 21, 2012
A Christian (follower of Christ) has no business killing another person, so can't be a combatant. Christ was the fulfillment of the Law of Moses, so the wars David, Saul, etc fought to protect Israel then are not required. Christ did away with all that.

There's no record that Jesus or his Apostles joined in fighting the Roman opression they were under at the time. History shows the early Christians did not fight wars or kill.

http://www.christian-history.org/christian-warfare.html

2 Likes

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by micath09(m): 8:59pm On Oct 21, 2012
Understanding the Bible is the key to transformation. The bible does not establish killing in battle as a sin. Deliberate killing of a fellow human being is what resulted into sin. As an American soldier, and according to geneva convention,the only way a soldier can be subject to military court of justice is to kill an enemy noncombatant, i:e an unarmed enemy. In a nutshell, killing as a soldier is never a sin because you signed to defend,
and die for your nation against any external aggression.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 21, 2012
micath09: Understanding the Bible is the key to transformation. The bible does not establish killing in battle as a sin. Deliberate killing of a fellow human being is what resulted into sin. As an American soldier, and according to geneva convention,the only way a soldier can be subject to military court of justice is to kill an enemy noncombatant, i:e an unarmed enemy. In a nutshell, killing as a soldier is never a sin because you signed to defend,
and die for your nation against any external aggression.

Where in the Bible are Christians commanded to sign " to defend, and die for your nation against any external aggression"? Christians are commanded to love each other and not to kill. Warring leads to the real possibility of killing fellow Christians worshipping same God. Which is supposed to be stronger - love of nation or love of God? There is no scriptural basis that it's ok for Christians to kill as soldiers.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 10:20pm On Oct 21, 2012
Luke 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
there is nothing wrong with being a soldier. Every Christian ought to be a soldier as it were. but like in all professions, the Christian's actions, inactions and decisions should be guided/led by God. A Christian soldier should not be oppressive or fight a wrong cause. every Christian has a mandate to disobey ungodly orders, whether you're a soldier or a pope.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by mike0007(m): 10:21pm On Oct 21, 2012
dahonestboss: wetin born-again? you fit enta your mama yansh back ? lolz

Mumu, that is why you no sabi anything. go enter now make den born you again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / Accessing The Divine Killing Anointing By Dr D.k Olukoya - Written Sermon / The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.