Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers (31890 Views)

Odion Ighalo Is The Highest Goal Scorer In England In 2015 / Ronaldo officially becomes Madrid's all time highest goalscorer (photos) / Unveiling Super Eagles’ All Time Highest Goal Scorers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by Afam4eva(m): 10:10am On Oct 15, 2012
Jarus:
If he scores 19 goals in 5 years (from his debut in 2007 to now, do you think he can score another 19 in the next 3 years to equal Yekini's record.

Anyway, not being an out-and-out striker like Yekini, he still deserves credit. He is our most reliable forward for now. But I dont see him overtaking Yekini.
Don't forget that uche has been missing in major competitions where he would have gotten a lot of goals. The Nations cup and world cup comes to mind. If he can feature in at least 90% of super eagles matches then i think it's a possibly, also considering the fact that the eagles have imbibed the culture of harvesting goals.

There's a difference between being a striker and being a forward. Rashidi Yekini was a forward because the only thing he knows is scoring goals like say tomorrow no dey. Uche on the other hand is a forward. He scores goals too but plays more like a mid-fielder. Note that a striker can only be as good as his midfielders, because if he doesn't get the ball the way he wants it, he can't score goals. So, Yekini's success can also be attributed to the midfielders and wingers during his time.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 15, 2012
afam4eva:
Don't forget that uche has been missing in major competitions where he would have gotten a lot of goals. The Nations cup and world cup comes to mind. If he can feature in at least 90% of super eagles matches then i think it's a possibly, also considering the fact that the eagles have imbibed the culture of harvesting goals.

There's a difference between being a striker and being a forward. Rashidi Yekini was a forward because the only thing he knows is scoring goals like say tomorrow no dey. Uche on the other hand is a forward. He scores goals too but plays more like a mid-fielder. Note that a striker can only be as good as his midfielders, because if he doesn't get the ball the way he wants it, he can't score goals. So, Yekini's success can also be attributed to the midfielders and wingers during his time.
I agree.
Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by vislabraye(m): 11:21am On Oct 15, 2012
@Jarus. Is CR a forward or a striker?
Your analysis of a scorer/striker is the other way round. Yekini is an outright striker. There are very few of them like that.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by dee4GOD: 11:23am On Oct 15, 2012
Josh090:
I don't know if he's Yoruba but he's from irra in kwara state, not Edo.
. Yak is from EDO state. No 2 ways abt d@. Ayogwiri 2 b precise
Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by Emmaville(m): 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2012
wait oo. una dey drag where yakubu come from? make al una wen dey drag gerrrraaaatttt!!!!!!!!
Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by chic2pimp(m): 3:46pm On Oct 15, 2012
CyberG:

This was really funny! grin grin

The question to ask, in my opinion, is when will Nigeria produce another Okocha, again? No, I don't mean make him in a factory or plant him like a flower because there are Okochas all over Nigeria but the stupidit.y of a LOT of Nigerians and government and their programmes has made such Okochas to be frustrated into doing any other job he can find to survive! Or, BH, kidnapping, drug or something nasty must have sealed the fate of most of them. Okocha tops the list in one of the best footballers that would ever kick that round leather thing! How about Kanu? When will Nigeria raise another team like the 94, 96 team, because that was the most complete team in recent history. Almost all of them were good individually and excellent when they get it going. When was the last time Nigeria had players who could pass the ball in different, shifting triangles so much so that the opponent could not get the ball??

How about another Yekini? Daring, bold, strong, fast and every strike of the ball towards the keeper was always a threat! If only Nigerian youths and the leadership of this country would do the right things for the country, Nigeria is virtually unstoppable in many things!

Nigeria needs a Central Midfielder who can not only dictate the tempo of games but also has an eye for a pass.
A SUNDAY OLISEH(Nigeria's greatest ever Centre Midfielder) is whom Nigeria really needs.
Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by semid4lyfe(m): 6:30pm On Oct 15, 2012
Jarus: Musa is no Okocha. He has potential to become a Finidi, but hell no, not yet Finidi until he perfects his crossing.

Personally, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about Ahmed Musa.

I mean, he showed so much potential when he first burst on to the scene but since then I haven't seen any improvements.

His game is still characterized by poor judgement calls, poor passing, poor delivery of crosses, pushing the ball too much and often times out of play, little or non-existent dribbling skills, difficulty cutting inside defenders, poor nodding skill etc etc

The only thing he has going for him is his speed. In short, his game is still at the same level it was when he was first discovered. I'll pick Nnamdi Oduamadi, Victor Moses and even the left-footed Ejike Uzoenyi ahead of Musa for my wing positions any day.

No, we need a JJ - a central midfielder, ball distributor, skills bag and entertainer. We need it. It instills fears in opponents, makes matches enjoyable and not boring.

We don't have a JJ and we need one.

Football has evolved and many teams now play a more compact formation without the traditional central midfielder so I'm not too sure about that but it all boils down to Keshi and his playing philosophy/formation.

No two players are the same and the FACT is if he no be JJ, e no fit play like Jay-Jay

Still, I liked what I saw on Saturday in the midfield with the trio of Obiorah Nwankwo, Mikel Obi and Nosa Igiebor with Obiorah Nwankwo playing as the DM, Mikel as a deep-lying midfielder and Nosa Igiebor playing in a more advanced midfield role. Me thinks it's the way forward for the Nigerian team.

I was particularly impressed by Nosa Igiebor on Saturday and IMO he's the closest thing to a JJ in the team.

Victor Moses should also be tried in an advanced midfield position.
Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by djosh4(m): 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2012
CyberG:

This was really funny! grin grin

The question to ask, in my opinion, is when will Nigeria produce another Okocha, again? No, I don't mean make him in a factory or plant him like a flower because there are Okochas all over Nigeria but the stupidit.y of a LOT of Nigerians and government and their programmes has made such Okochas to be frustrated into doing any other job he can find to survive! Or, BH, kidnapping, drug or something nasty must have sealed the fate of most of them. Okocha tops the list in one of the best footballers that would ever kick that round leather thing! How about Kanu? When will Nigeria raise another team like the 94, 96 team, because that was the most complete team in recent history. Almost all of them were good individually and excellent when they get it going. When was the last time Nigeria had players who could pass the ball in different, shifting triangles so much so that the opponent could not get the ball??

How about another Yekini? Daring, bold, strong, fast and every strike of the ball towards the keeper was always a threat! If only Nigerian youths and the leadership of this country would do the right things for the country, Nigeria is virtually unstoppable in many things!
Rabiu Ibrahim anyone?
Re: Super Eagles' All-time Highest Goal Scorers by semid4lyfe(m): 7:23pm On Oct 15, 2012
djosh4: Rabiu Ibrahim anyone?

Make Rabiu go wash hin head & do spiritual deliverance before hin think of playing football tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Super Eagles Thankful As They Return From Egypt After Just Concluded AFCON2019 / AFCON: Tinubu To Land In Abidjan For Nigeria V Cote D'ivoire / Full Time: Nigeria Vs Uganda (0-1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.