Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo (5273 Views)

New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by DuduNegro: 1:57pm On Oct 16, 2012
Abagworo:

Stop claiming what you are not. I know Itsekiri as cultured people and not touts like you've displayed on this board.

It has been two days since you made that opening if I or no one had stepped up and pointed out your intent.......by now you will already have woven a web of migration path elling us how a prince of Warri settled in Orlu anfd is now the ancestor of the Obi of Orlu. The Orlu being a distortion through the ages of the title "Olu"........and Obi being a contortion of the title Oba,.

Well, your protege has come to your defense to say you are interested in the spelling similarity. Is that true?

Yeye person angry

1 Like

Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by Abagworo(m): 7:43pm On Oct 16, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

It has been two days since you made that opening if I or no one had stepped up and pointed out your intent.......by now you will already have woven a web of migration path elling us how a prince of Warri settled in Orlu anfd is now the ancestor of the Obi of Orlu. The Orlu being a distortion through the ages of the title "Olu"........and Obi being a contortion of the title Oba,.

Well, your protege has come to your defense to say you are interested in the spelling similarity. Is that true?

Yeye person angry

And what does that have to do with land grab as you earlier claimed? I had once opened a thread about this same thing with many ethnic groups around the Congo-Zambia area where you find such names as Ngozi, Koffi Olomide, Emeka etc. I wasn't trying to say we are related because the meanings differ greatly but the spellings and pronunciation are same. Kofi is a Ghanian name and so is Essien and also a Congolese and Nigerian name. Olomide-Olumide-Olamide sound same but might have different meanings. Saying that Olomide sounds like Yoruba doesn't mean I am grabbing Congolese land.

2 Likes

Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by DuduNegro: 10:57pm On Oct 16, 2012
So then after you found these congo zambia similarities what conclusions did you draw between olomide in congo and an olamide in nigeria? did you lose s tribe or a clan somewhere?
Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by AndreUweh(m): 8:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
@Abagworo, you are correct. In my own native community we have names that resembles Uduaghan but are totally Igbo and not related to the Itshekiris. E.g Oduagha,Ekeagha Udumaga, udumjiekumiri etc.
Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by CHM11: 8:55pm On Aug 02, 2015
Afam4eva:
Abagworo is looking at spelling rather than the pronunciation of these names.
Ani is an Igbo name too. never knew it was an Itsekiri name. Oyibo is also an Igbo name
Oritsejafor sounds like Afor or Ejiofor
This was in 2012
Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 02, 2015
The main way to connect tribes n find out which are ur siblings is thru culture... culture is more powerful dan language n names. I'm from enugu state, but wen igbos of Afikpo n Abakiliki speak their igbo dialect, I don't even hear a single word.

Do itsekiri n igbos marry with strikingly similar traditions? Do they celebrate birth d same way, do dey name their children in d same way? How do dey bury d dead, do they circumsise every male child as part of culture(not religion)?

These are d only ways to kno
Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by darfay: 1:05am On Aug 03, 2015
ifyalways:
Chief Negro, yes I have very strong itsekiri blood ties.

I think in the late mid 60's or so, there was a booming fish and crayfish market @ the önitsha waterside. The "itsekiri" merchants were mostly women and most of them ended up married to igbo men.

So many of them were married to Önitsha men cos they needed protection and free hand to do their fish biz. Who can resist an itsekiri beauty ? Lol they even have a meeting/association in önitsha ie kiri women married to Igbo men.

@abagworo, ofcourse sapele na 'Kiri town. Sapele, Warri, Jakpa are proper itsekiri cities.
Ify sapele is not an itsekiri town o,it's a part and parcel of the okpe kingdom(largest urhobo kingdom) under the rulership of the oroje of okpe who some time ago made a decree dat non indigines should not be buried there(targeted at the itsekiris).itsekiris are migrant there.olu warri nor fit try nonsense reach there .

1 Like

Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by ifyalways(f): 10:00am On Aug 04, 2015
darfay:

Ify sapele is not an itsekiri town o,it's a part and parcel of the okpe kingdom(largest urhobo kingdom) under the rulership of the oroje of okpe who some time ago made a decree dat non indigines should not be buried there(targeted at the itsekiris).itsekiris are migrant there.olu warri nor fit try nonsense reach there .
You are absolutely right. Thank you.

http://www.waado.org/biographies/salubi/publications/sapele.htm

1 Like

Re: Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo by tpiar: 9:14am On Mar 14, 2016
Abagworo:
First of all I am a lay man on this so nobody should be mad at my trying to know. I've noticed a recurring sequence of names which are born by Igbos or at least a version of it amongst the Itsekiri ethnic group. Knowing fully well that they speak a language related to Yoruba, how come the Igbo-like names.

The region formerly known as Bendel has cultural characteristics in common with both the west and eastern parts of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Popular Traditional Names In Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo With Their English Meaning / Ònkà - The ABC Of Yorùbá Numerals / Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.