Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport (9808 Views)

Sanusi Yahaya Yakubu Forgets His Iphone 6 At Noi Bai Int'l Airport / The Most Expensive Garden Street In Owerri / Photos: Ocean Of Travellers Today At Murtala Mohammed Int'l Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 15, 2012
I was visibly nauseated at the prevalent attitude of the workers in Owerri airport yesterday when i arrive for my return trip to Abuja after attending a wedding at Aba over the weekend.

I first got to the airport junction(the airport actually viad off Owerri road). On getting there I was disappointed that there's no taxi service but was rather mobbed by army of motor cyclist popularly known as okada. Every tom and harry of them clamped my dear trolly with their fingers while i was at the begging bargain not to tear my bag.

To cut the long story short, I threatened to deal decisively with them should my bag get torn and ask all of them to let go of my bag which they reluctantly did. It was then i spotted one of them who seem to be peaceful cos he was just sitting on his bike and watched on as the drama is being played, and so i becconed on him to come take me to the airport. Immediately we took off, i ask him what his fare was and he said its one thousand naira then i said i was going to give him five hundred as the airport is less than 2000 meters from the junction and he didnt protest.

When we got to the airport i gave him 1000 naira to give me change he said he doesnt have any money as that happens to be the first job he was doing that morning and he commenced begging me to leave my balance for him, not without reminding me that he had behaved himself by not joining the fray that was dragging my bag at the junction.

This got me infuriated and i shouted at him and threatened involving the security (already a security man was getting curious over the long meeting and headed our way), then he reluctantly unzip his jacket and brought out a bundle of money and gave me my balance.

After that came the ones i call 'airport agberos' on some kinda yellow jackets who came to help me push my trolly but i calmly declined, then he asked what i have for him for the weekend. i ignored him. after collecting my boarding pass i proceeded to the cue for scanning and was again beset with another worker/begger whose job is to punture a hole in the stamp on the boarding pass. Then came the supposed respectfully dressed gentle men and ladies who does the scanning with their loud greetings and request for 'anything for the weekend for us?' with their eyes boring hole in you.

Mehnn! I got disgusted when the one searching me did so while their standard line flows from his mouth 'sir anything for us?' as his palms peruse my sides. I was already seated in the waiting room as we expect our flight when i felt pressed and decided to use the restroom. On getting there another begger was waiting while she added to their standard line that she is an ORDINARY cleaner. I could only come up with what da heck!

My fellow nairalanders, pls what do u make of this trend especially that of Owerri airport cos this was my first time of using there. I have noticed such in Enugu and lagos too (not sure i have experienced that in Abuja here but cant vouch for them) but it turn out to be a child's play compared to Owerri.
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Afam4eva(m): 10:47am On Oct 15, 2012
Welcome to Nigeria..
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 15, 2012
Not just owerri, dey're everywhere.
I dread d fat woment with kids all around ph junctions..
Telling u how dey wanna get somewhere but don't have sufficient transport fare.
I fell for it once, until i knew it was an occupation.

These people make it hard for us to know those that really need help!

2 Likes

Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by tai2(m): 10:49am On Oct 15, 2012
You're a very stingy man. In Nigeria it's called share the money. Be a charitable giver and stop lamenting.

9 Likes

Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 15, 2012
It is shamefully true. Nigerians have been infected with the beggar mentality because we usually 'dash' them money. I propose we all stop giving alms to these beggars.

1 Like

Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 15, 2012
Narrative Essay..dats Naija 4 u
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by safarigirl(f): 10:54am On Oct 15, 2012
$You're complaining? You were lucky to enough to actually meet civil Nigerians and you're complaining? What about those of us that have to go to parks? If you get to your destination with every item complete, you are considered extremely lucky.

Like Afam said...WELCOME TO NIGERIA. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 15, 2012
If you have give ,if you dont want to give nobody force u shikena undecided
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Ejine(m): 10:56am On Oct 15, 2012
Not just in Owerri, my sista. You need to visit the Port Harcourt airport.
Na there your eye go OPEN.

Nigeria is just one depressing shiiit-hole.
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by LADIbaba(m): 10:57am On Oct 15, 2012
Plenty Hungry people there, perhaps you should ve found out when last they were paid salary...
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Leorichy: 10:59am On Oct 15, 2012
hey Dude,what are you trying to say? I did not even understand you,ok they beg for money,you no get,you no give them,what's next? Wetin concern us? Make we give you money make you give them or what? Hey freak,your freaking story just spoil my day... Go sleep joorrr
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by bid4rich(m): 10:59am On Oct 15, 2012
If you give, you encourage them to do more and if you do not, they will call you stingy in their heart but anyhow it is dont forget that life is all about ''give and take''

you have done well sha o cos i hate that language with passion ''anything for they boys'' so disgusting i may say.
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by albacete(m): 11:00am On Oct 15, 2012
but it's not as if they don't get paid. I would call them corporate beggars.
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Sanguine77(m): 11:03am On Oct 15, 2012
If you can afford air fare, thank your God; if you have flown in an aeroplane, you are more fortunate than 96% of Nigerians; if you are employed, than your stars, if you have your business, count yourself lucky; if you have the means to help people, do so cheerfully and stop complaining cos God loves a cheerful giver.
I dont subscribe to begging though.
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Abujafood: 11:04am On Oct 15, 2012
Don't mind them!
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Sanguine77(m): 11:05am On Oct 15, 2012
Billyonaire: It is shamefully true. Nigerians have been infected with the beggar mentality because we usually 'dash' them money. I propose we all stop giving arms to these beggars.
Do you give arms or alms?

4 Likes

Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by fapcrook(m): 11:05am On Oct 15, 2012
tai2: You're a very stingy man. In Nigeria it's called share the money. Be a charitable giver and stop lamenting.
. Ha ha ha, are u one of them

1 Like

Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by jamp: 11:07am On Oct 15, 2012
The tin tire meooo. I hve experinced that so many time at that airport. The one punturing my boarding pass told me oga I be IT person ooo, anytin for weekend. Almost everybody there uses that language Anytin for the weekned. Am from Imo but the tin dey pain me
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by OkwaIfugo(m): 11:08am On Oct 15, 2012
it happens everywhere. high gov officials begging for drop not even asking who is the person they are going to enter his or her car.
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by thetelz(m): 11:08am On Oct 15, 2012
Ishsoph: I was visibly nauseated at the prevalent attitude of the workers in Owerri airport yesterday when i arrive for my return trip to Abuja after attending a wedding at Aba over the weekend.

I first got to the airport junction(the airport actually viad off Owerri road). On getting there I was disappointed that there's no taxi service but was rather mobbed by army of motor cyclist popularly known as okada. Every tom and harry of them clamped my dear trolly with their fingers while i was at the begging bargain not to tear my bag.

To cut the long story short, I threatened to deal decisively with them should my bag get torn and ask all of them to let go of my bag which they reluctantly did. It was then i spotted one of them who seem to be peaceful cos he was just sitting on his bike and watched on as the drama is being played, and so i becconed on him to come take me to the airport. Immediately we took off, i ask him what his fare was and he said its one thousand naira then i said i was going to give him five hundred as the airport is less than 2000 meters from the junction and he didnt protest.

When we got to the airport i gave him 1000 naira to give me change he said he doesnt have any money as that happens to be the first job he was doing that morning and he commenced begging me to leave my balance for him, not without reminding me that he had behaved himself by not joining the fray that was dragging my bag at the junction.

This got me infuriated and i shouted at him and threatened involving the security (already a security man was getting curious over the long meeting and headed our way), then he reluctantly unzip his jacket and brought out a bundle of money and gave me my balance.

After that came the ones i call 'airport agberos' on some kinda yellow jackets who came to help me push my trolly but i calmly declined, then he asked what i have for him for the weekend. i ignored him. after collecting my boarding pass i proceeded to the cue for scanning and was again beset with another worker/begger whose job is to punture a hole in the stamp on the boarding pass. Then came the supposed respectfully dressed gentle men and ladies who does the scanning with their loud greetings and request for 'anything for the weekend for us?' with their eyes boring hole in you.

Mehnn! I got disgusted when the one searching me did so while their standard line flows from his mouth 'sir anything for us?' as his palms peruse my sides. I was already seated in the waiting room as we expect our flight when i felt pressed and decided to use the restroom. On getting there another begger was waiting while she added to their standard line that she is an ORDINARY cleaner. I could only come up with what da heck!

My fellow nairalanders, pls what do u make of this trend especially that of Owerri airport cos this was my first time of using there. I have noticed such in Enugu and lagos too (not sure i have experienced that in Abuja here but cant vouch for them) but it turn out to be a child's play compared to Owerri.

Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by trix1: 11:10am On Oct 15, 2012
Ishsoph: I was visibly nauseated at the prevalent attitude of the workers in Owerri airport yesterday when i arrive for my return trip to Abuja after attending a wedding at Aba over the weekend.

Please re-read what you typed and stop embarrassing yourself. It’s okay to have a few typos.. But the grammatical summersaults here leave a lot to be desired!
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 15, 2012
albacete:

but it's not as if they don't get paid. I would call them corporate beggars.
yes they get paid but what they are doing is not new in nigeria! Even in federal parastatals,such thing is not new especially when contracts are awarded.corporate begging is found in every corners of an establishment. Abeg next time make you settle them joor!
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by albacete(m): 11:10am On Oct 15, 2012
Charles.nerd:

What makes the story stupid?>That someone gets embarrased at every stop by professional beggars who actually get paid for the job they do?.Is it proper to ask for tips in a professional environment like that?.Do you expect them to act in a proper,fair and professional manner after they have been tipped?.

If you can answer these questions correctly,then you can see how "stewpid" your comment is.

GBAM
+20

They don't need to ask for tips, it is unprofessional. Whoever will give them money will do so whether they ask for it or not.
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by tellwisdom: 11:12am On Oct 15, 2012
Who is nigeria??
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by killuminati(m): 11:13am On Oct 15, 2012
Man must whack isht undecided
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by albacete(m): 11:17am On Oct 15, 2012
berem: yes they get paid but what they are doing is not new in nigeria! Even in federal parastatals,such thing is not new especially when contracts are awarded.corporate begging is found in every corners of an establishment. Abeg next time make you settle them joor!

Are u saying that it has come to stay and that nothing should be done to curb the ugly trend?
I think this should stop. What do u think, babe?
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 15, 2012
Charles.nerd:

What makes the story stupid?>That someone gets embarrased at every stop by professional beggars who actually get paid for the job they do?.Is it proper to ask for tips in a professional environment like that?.Do you expect them to act in a proper,fair and professional manner after they have been tipped?.

If you can answer these questions correctly,then you can see how "stewpid" your comment is.
did they force him to give them tips? Did they point a gun at him to beg him? I mean this happens all the time in airports,banks,ministries,hospitals etc.so how is it an embarrasment? Its a nigerian tradition that cannot be wiped out now or in the nearest future.so he better starts getting used to it!
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by mrkels(m): 11:18am On Oct 15, 2012
I really didn't witness those coperate beggars when I served there in owerri but the thing about the bike is absolutely true. You ll beckon on 1, 35 would come and get you and charge extremely high prices, my first time I paid 1k , when I saw the distance wasn't much I never gave anyone there more than 150 naira to the junction. Let me tell you something about owerri people, once they see you are a stranger expecially a 'corper' and do no understand the BS igbo they are speaking, their prices would increase by 300%. So glad am out of that town! A town in which any office you enter looking to make your PPA, the first question they ll ask you is ''WHERE ARE YOU FROM'' tribal bigots.
Re: Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 15, 2012
albacete:

Are u saying that it has come to stay and that nothing should be done to curb the ugly trend?
I think this should stop. What do u think, babe?
and what are you gonna do to curb the situation? If you know you can't give,no be by force! Na naija we dey bros.sometimes they ask for tips to give you better quality services.this is Nigeria! You gaz shine your eyes wella!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa / My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) / Paying "Travel / Visa Agents" - Beware!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.