Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,851 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:34 AM

Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (58566 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 8:27pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I have not told you what to do, i am only telling you what the Bible has said . . .
Yes, the Church is the people and not the building and is what i said, being it to the store house, however, [b]when we use church here
, we mean the place of worship . . .
Again, it is not for me to worry about what the pastor do with the money, cos i am not giving it to him, but just obeying the principles that the Lord has laid down for me to follow.[/b]
who is the we? Jesus says your heart is the temple/dwelling place of the lord 1 cor 3:16.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by ssii: 8:28pm On Oct 17, 2012
[quote author=seechris]"Tithing as it is now is a law of moses of the old religion which was changed by Jesus Christ, practicing it is practicing the old religion, we were saved be Christ, we follow him in all his ways, we want to be like him, so why don't we follow the new rules he laid down for us,our pastors know that the religion of tithing died when Jesus came,we should live by the new testament."
Abrahim paid tithe, Abraham was before the Law. Jacob paid tithe, Jacob was before the law. We that are of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham, and we are his spiritual seeds. Jesus talking about tithe and the weightier matters of mercy and judgement, said we ought to obey one without leaving the other undone.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Iolo(m): 8:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I have shown you in the new testament, where it talks about your tithes . . . It is up to you to blv it or just leave it and again, i am not trying to force you to blv what i blv, i am just telling you what the Bible said . . and the stuff in old testament that has been abolished are where we used to worship God thru man, that now we have access to Baba God ourselves

I think everyone should set aside atleast 10%. You may spend that on Church, Needy kids etc.
Sick and tired of the institutions and personalised churches we have now a days.

One can't even request for your church account statement to see how the monies accrued are being spent without "bad eye".

Every church is trying to have a second school, university, and go into businesses they have no business being in in the first place.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by NOLONGTIN1(m): 8:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
If you are a Christian, then my reply would be - Stupid Question, but if you are not then i'll tell you that your tithe is for God only, you give it to the church to help it grow(Jesus said give to Caesar what is for Caesar, and to God what is God). Nobody said you shouldn't give to the poor, infact Jesus encourages us to do so, but always keep 10% of your earnings aside for God. some misguided people will say we shouldnt because pastors use it to get rich...... as long as u are being blessed in that church, pay your tithes there(remember its to God and not man).

as for me i'll strive to pay my tithes regularly, no matter what anybody says, you can hate while i enjoy my blessings.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 8:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
Iolo:

I think everyone should set aside atleast 10%. You may spend that on Church, Needy kids etc. Sick and tired of the institutions and personalised churches we have now a days.

One can't even request for your church account statement to see how the monies accrued are being spent without "bad eye".

Every church is trying to have a second school, university, and go into businesses they have no business being in in the first place.

If that is your blv, by all means, but as a Christian and you blv in the Bible, you follow what the Bible tells you or your own interpretations . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
ssii: Abrahim paid tithe, Abraham was before the Law. Jacob paid tithe, Jacob was before the law. We that are of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham, and we are his spiritual seeds. Jesus talking about tithe and the weightier matters of mercy and judgement, said we ought to obey one without leaving the other undone.
Abraham slept with his maid, Jacob had more than one wife.

Jesus never paid tithes neither did the apostles..

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
A-ZeD:

who is the we? Jesus says your heart is the temple/dwelling place of the lord 1 cor 3:16.

Again, you know what we are talking about, so no need to just argue what is not . . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by SisiKill1: 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
If we stopped seeing tithes as a way to BRIBE GOD like the thieving pastors have programmed us to, this question won't need to be asked.

But when the thieving pastors keep hammering surprise God and he will surprise you, Pay your tithes and it will be well with your business, your marriage, your this and your that. . .just to scare you into giving, then giving to the poor becomes something one has to think and rethink (what is in it for them? They ask)

What's even worse about what these pastors are doing is how they inadvertently make people's heart hard to those in need. Because they have been programmed to think what and how they give God is what causes Him to bless them, when their church members see poor and the needy, they blame them for their situation. Obviously they must have done something wrong to be poor, they must deserve it so why should they be helped?!!

Honestly, I can't wait for these men to get their comeuppance. . .Now that is something I am willing to give all I have to see.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by hagma37yahoocom: 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
Joagbaje: You ought to pay the tithe in the place where you worship. That doesn't take the place of giving to the poor . We must all remember the poor. If you dedicate a tenth or 20% of your income to the poor its good and acceptable but it does not take the place of your offerings to God and the place of tithes to God.There are several givings in Gods kingdom , one giving should not take the place of another .

Jesus even said that anyone who denies the parents their honorarium claiming since he had given to God he doesn't need to give to his parents again that such a one is not free.

Mark 7:11
But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
Bros if church need cleanup guys go do am if church need furnitures men go do am if church need repair contributors dey dependind on the caretakers plz its high time we thing on better ways to giv tithe plz note a thousand five can save a soul in hospital 2 thousand can take many out of jail and many more.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 8:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
NO LONG TIN: If you are a Christian, then my reply would be - Stupid Question, but if you are not then i'll tell you that your tithe is for God only, you give it to the church to help it grow(Jesus said give to Caesar what is for Caesar, and to God what is God). Nobody said you shouldn't give to the poor, infact Jesus encourages us to do so, but always keep 10% of your earnings aside for God. some misguided people will say we shouldnt because pastors use it to get rich...... as long as u are being blessed in that church, pay your tithes there(remember its to God and not man).

as for me i'll strive to pay my tithes regularly, no matter what anybody says, you can hate while i enjoy my blessings.
Jesus also said if you give to the poor you give to me so what is the problem with giving your tithe to the poor? Or is God not in the poor?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Emmy9ite(m): 8:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
ijebabe: Its so simple so why complicate matters??
Pay your tithe to the church as it should be. Whatever you want to do for the needy and poor should be in addition to and not replace your tithe!

The Jewish culture and law have been imbibed in the bible and is not always easy to tell both apart. Jesus accepted some if the laws of the land by paying taxes etc. so please stop making excuses. Tithe is different from almsgiving!! Its not rocket science.
IJEBABE!!!!!! *mouth sealed*
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Topeedo: 8:47pm On Oct 17, 2012
Well d way i see it, its okay to give to d needy, but i am not sure if its okay to give ur tithe to d needy...i pay my tithe and still give to d needy
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by ujchief(m): 8:50pm On Oct 17, 2012
Here we go again! U guys will keep abusing this topic untill it sues Nl and its members to international court of justice!
God is a spirit, and he that comes to him must come in spirit and in truth. Applying logic and human common sence to spiritual maters doesnt lead u anywhere. Be wise!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Preacherkid: 8:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
It is wrong
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by esere826: 8:58pm On Oct 17, 2012
beanos:

When you pay your Tithe of 10%, You still have 90% left with you. From there you can still help the poor around you. You don't rob peter to pay paul.

The Law of Tithing.

Tithing is a commandment from the Lord to give one-tenth of all our increase, which we understand to mean
income. Even Abraham paid tithing,
"And it was this same Melchizedek to whom Abraham paid tithes; yea, even our father Abraham paid tithes of one-tenth part of all he possessed."

Blessings from Paying Tithing.

When we obey the Law of Tithing we are blessed. Malachi 3:10 says, "Bring ye all
the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD
of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room
enough to receive it." When we don't pay tithing we are stealing from God. "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have
we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings." ( Malachi 3:cool An important part about obedience to the Law of
Tithing is to pay it faithfully. This means that we shouldn't begrudge paying it, such as grumbling in our hearts about
"having" to give money. "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated— And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." Meaning we
receive blessings by obeying God's laws and when we obey God's laws there are blessings that go with it. Remember,
blessings can be spiritual, temporal or both but are not always given in the way we expect. How to Calculate Tithing Since tithing is one-tenth of our increase, meaning our income, we figure out how much money, either weekly, monthly, etc. and then times
that amount by 10%. You can easily do this by dividing any amount by 10. For example take #50,000 divide it by ten and the amount of tithing would be
#5000.

It's also important to note that
you can be generous with your
tithing, by paying even more.

Gaining a Testimony of Tithing.

Personally I know that obeying the law of tithing is a wonderful financial blessing. It's a privilege and a blessing
to pay tithing. As you put your trust in the Lord and begin to pay a faithful tithe of 10 percent of your income you
will gain your own personal testimony from the law of tithing.
Be Blessed.

Personally, the bolded above is what initially put a question mark in the gospel of tithing for me. I did some calculations and came up with fractions. Added some money, but deep down felt wrong about this. Read some more scripture and still couldn't shake this off. It made me feel that it was a law that was built to be inaccurate so that I would meditate on it deeper -Much like lustfull looking vs adultery that Jesus spoke about.

I have now found my peace and blessings. Every man to his own
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
I can pray to God anywhere because he is everywhere.
I can listen to God's word anywhere because he is everywhere.

But i must pay my tithe ONLY in church because that is the only place God is when it comes to money matters.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Boomark(m): 9:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tithes are meant for the priests{levites}. But the levites are no more because of the presence of the great one. Our lord Jesus Christ the Highpriest.

We now give to the Highpriest(jesus). How do you give to Him?

Matthew 25:37-40
New International Version (NIV)
37 “Then the righteous will answer
him, ‘Lord, when did we see you
hungry and feed you, or thirsty and
give you something to drink?
38 When did we see you a stranger
and invite you in, or needing
clothes and clothe you? 39 When
did we see you sick or in prison and
go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell
you, whatever you did for one of
the least of these brothers and
sisters of mine, you did for me.’

So chose ye today who you make your priority in giving. The Highpriest or the Pastors?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Topeedo: 9:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
Paying your tithe is a commandment and it should b paid to d church not individal...'bring all the tithe into the store house that there may be meat in my house' is wat my bible says not give it to the poor
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by dharmieee(m): 9:03pm On Oct 17, 2012
brothers and sisters.its a very good thing to give to the poor.but if you give your tithe to the poor,you ave not paid tithe oooh.the bible says..bring all your tithe and offering to God's house.As a matter of fact biblically its only smoen in higher spiritual autority than you that can collect and bless you tithe..as in the case of mekishedek and abraham.TITHE IS FOR GOD AND NOT FOR THE POOR.give to the poor nd u'll reap ur reward..PAY UR TITHE ND U'LL BENEFIT OF THE BLESSING ACCRUED TO IT..SHEKINAH
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 9:07pm On Oct 17, 2012
Topeedo: Paying your tithe is a commandment and it should b paid to d church not individal...'bring all the tithe into the store house that there may be meat in my house' is wat my bible says not give it to the poor
You probably have not read the new testament like Matthew 25: 37-40
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Boomark(m): 9:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
A-ZeD:
I can pray to God anywhere because he is everywhere.
I can listen to God's word anywhere because he is everywhere.

But i must pay my tithe ONLY in church because that is the only place God is when it comes to money matters.

I know you must be very serious according to what they told you.

Read my post above and see where Christ is interest when it comes to money matters(giving).
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by nekycole: 9:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
I agree with Joagbaje's comment. I think given to the poor is a means of sowing and not tithing. Your tithe should be paid to your local assembly where you worship.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by wirinet(m): 9:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
martin123: Malachi 3:10 (KJV)
10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

In my own opinion, the Bible said in the scripture above, that we should bring it into the store house of the lord, so where will you regard as the store house of God? The Church of course

An observer would think Malachi 3:10 is what the whole gospel of Christianity is all about the way pentecostals emphasis it. They have so twisted it that the Jews who are the original practitioners of the concept would be perplexed.

Now it still baffled me how someone can twist the above verse to mean you should give 10% of you income to a pastor or even a church (although with pentecostals the pastor is the church). The verse says bring all the tithes into the storehouse that there may be meat in mine house. So a church is now a store house for meat (maybe the members are meat to the pastors).

Whenever the bible talks about tithes, it always mention agricultural produce and never about money. Another question is how many people paid tithes in the whole of the bible? Abraham was said to pay tithes only once. It did not mention him paying to a church. What about others? Solomon, David, Jacob, isaac, and others in the old testament? Who paid Jesus any tithes? Did Jesus or any of the disciples demand for any tithes?

Tithes is 419, it works on the same principle with yahoo yahoo, you are promised unbelievable wealth if you pay some money upfront and the maga milked until he or she runs dry. What the bible encourages is voluntary offerings, not compulsory giving. Giving should be from the heart and not by force.

Finally, giving to the needy and the less privileged without expecting anything in return is the most noble attribute of our humanity, and deserves heaven more that somebody giving tithes for future selfish rewards.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Skills10: 9:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
A Christian that gives tithe is obeying the law of Moses and as such is alienated from Christ;He has fallen from grace.Gal 5:4.
You should practice Christianity and not mixing Judaism with Christianity. Further references, Acts 15:1-29.(the Council @ Jerusalem),Gal3:19-25. Heb8:7-13. Question:Is tithing being practised today part of the law given to Moses? Yes Matt 23:23. Our giving today should not be under compulsion 2 Cor 9:6-8; 2 Cor 8:1-8; 1 Cor 16:1-2.
Question:Are the Pastors today same as levites? No.
Question: Was the law given to Moses then meant for the Gentile world as at that time? No.
So we Christians should not give tithes. This is not rocket science. It is crystal clear from the bible.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by kenoid480: 9:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tithe is totally different from giving.You cannot give your tithe to †ђξ need.Tithe is meant for †ђξ levities i.e †ђξ pastors .If it is meant for their up keep . Also,has a partner of G̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡D̶̲̥̅ you must give him his portion which is †ђξ one tenth of your earning.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by zubbainno123: 9:19pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ironically, ♍Ɣ pastor has bEen preaching on this same issue of tithing for D̶̲̥̅̊ past two weeks. He as been trying S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ hard †̥☺ convince we his brethren on D̶̲̥̅̊ many blessings associated with D̶̲̥̅̊ paying of tithe nd ofcuz the dreadful curses that comes with the non payment.

..........After seeing how serious he was on the matter, I decided †̥☺ seek some findings S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ as †̥☺ be on a safer side with ♍Ɣ creator becuz †̥☺ be honest with you, have never paid a dime for tithe before. S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ after some careful investigations on D̶̲̥̅̊ said issue I was able †̥☺ discover that, indEed we r not mandated as Christians †̥☺ pay tithe.
Now D̶̲̥̅̊ reason why ‎​A̶̲̥̅♏ saying I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊ this I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊ that, my pastor has decided †̥☺ preach on D̶̲̥̅̊ issue for a month nd has two weeks more †̥☺ finish it. Now I feel its kinda wrong for him or any other pastor for that matter †̥☺ be preaching false doctrine and I feel like speaking up against it right in the middle of his sermon.
S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ ♍Ɣ question now I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊, do ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ guys think its right if i challenged him when he comes up †̥☺ preach
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by ijebabe: 9:26pm On Oct 17, 2012
Emmy9ite: IJEBABE!!!!!! *mouth sealed*
Emmy na wetin?
Just because some pastors have decided to make a mockery of the bible doesn't mean I should change whatever I like In the bible to satisfy myself.

How farcheesy
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by NOLONGTIN1(m): 9:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
Iolo:

I think everyone should set aside atleast 10%. You may spend that on Church, Needy kids etc.
Sick and tired of the institutions and personalised churches we have now a days.

if you dont like it or if u are against it then go to another church that suits ur needs.... nobody tied you to a particular church. i'm Ok with the way my church is ran and i guess everybody in it(my church) is Ok with it, thats why they come.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 9:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
fados4sure:
It is very wrong... Read Malachi 3:10 with the message version...

Of what relevance is Malachi 3:10 to a new testament believer? Are you under the law?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by texazzpete(m): 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Of all the parables Jesus gave, the vast majority were about helping the poor, showing love, Christian charity etc. ZERO on Tithing.

In the Acts of the Apostles, there's no mention of the Early Christian paying tithes.

James 1:27 says this: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

Shamefully, you modern day misled 'Christians' are reaching far back into the Old Testament's Malachi and using that top support tithing...when there are no more LEvites amongst us.

Which is more important, Listening to Jesus Himself and looking to his teachings and parables for guidance or digging out that passage from Malachi that was aimed at the Jews of the Old Testament?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 9:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
kenoid480: Tithe is totally different from giving.You cannot give your tithe to †ђξ need.Tithe is meant for †ђξ levities i.e †ђξ pastors .If it is meant for their up keep . Also,has a partner of G̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡D̶̲̥̅ you must give him his portion which is †ђξ one tenth of your earning.

Have you actually ever studied the tithe? Most of you only quote Malachi 3:10. If you want to follow tithing, shouldn't you follow it as it is then? Why choose a particular way to follow it?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 9:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
nekycole: I agree with Joagbaje's comment. I think given to the poor is a means of sowing and not tithing. Your tithe should be paid to your local assembly where you worship.

Where does the bible say we should do this as new testament Christians?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Tb Joshua Is Using D Strongest Satanic Power.code 0012. Beware! / Shiite Members Celebrate Christmas With Christians In Kaduna (Photos) / Baptism: Archbishop Andries Moeti Drowns Before Church Members (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.