Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Enugu May Lose Power Ministry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu May Lose Power Ministry (6937 Views)

Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees / Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC / Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by mbulela: 3:29pm On Oct 16, 2012
16 Oct 2012
Font Size: a / A

Prof. Bart Nnaji

Chineme Okafor

Enugu State, which produced the last Minister of Power, Prof. Bart Nnaji, may lose the portfolio, THISDAY learnt Monday.

It was gathered that as President Goodluck Jonathan intensifies efforts to replace Nnaji, who resigned from the position in August, he has not been satisfied with the calibre of the persons being suggested by the state to replace the former minister and is considering looking elsewhere for a new person to man the Power Ministry.

In addition, the president is shopping for a new Minister of Defence to replace Dr. Haliru Bello, from Kebbi State, who was sacked in June along with the National Security Adviser, Lt.-Gen. Andrew Owoeye Azazi.

However, THISDAY checks revealed that should another state produce the Minister of Power, Jonathan might have to carry out a cabinet reshuffle to accommodate a representative of the Enugu State in the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

Presidency source said the nominees for Nnaji’s replacement submitted by the Enugu State Governor, Mr. Sullivan Chime, may not have met Jonathan’s expectations and were also being opposed by some stakeholders from the state.

The nominees are Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state, Mr. Vita Abba, a fellow of the Nigeria Society of Engineers, and Pro- Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri; President of the Nigeria Institute of Management, Dr. Sally Adukwu Bolujoko and the state Commissioner of Land, Dr. Emeka Ujam.

Both Abba and Bolujoku are from Enugu North senatorial district although the woman is married to an indigene of Kogi State while Ujam is from Enugu East senatorial district.

Chime was said to have submitted the names of his nominees to the president shortly before he left the country for a six-week vacation abroad.

The governor is said to have drawn up the list without consulting some critical stakeholders from the state like the Seputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu.
However, it was learnt that Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Anyim Pius, is pushing the candidacy of Mr. Ferdinand Agu who is his special aide, for the job.

Chime who was said to have initially rejected the suggestion, reportedly changed him mind upon his realisation that Agu is a native of Udi.
THISDAY learnt that Jonathan has not accepted any of the nominees, including Agu, an architect.

Source said Agu’s candidacy might not sail through because being an architect, Jonathan cannot afford to have two of them in the power ministry. The Minister of State for Power, Mr. Darius Ishaku, is also an architect.

Another factor likely to work against Agu is that being from the governor’s place, giving him the job would concentrated political appointments in his zone, especially when the former Minister of Aviation, Mrs Fidelia Njeze, who is now an ambassador, is from the governor’s hometown.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/enugu-may-lose-power-ministry/127774/
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by mbulela: 3:33pm On Oct 16, 2012
attempting to sacrifice our collective good on the altar of political patronage.
These clowns ought to be tied to a stake and stoned.
I hope GEJ withstands the pressure to worship on the altar of mediocrity in this matter.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by amosy007: 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2012
Me no care..
Gimme 24hrs light and i shall praise whoever did,
but wait, out of all d competent people from other states, regions and parties must the minister come from enugu or pdp.. Why cant nigerians stand against all dis rubbish politics that favours d few? Ewww

2 Likes

Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2012
I'm ashamed of this country. So appointments are no longer based on merit or capability but on 'zoning'? Are they telling us that the minister of power must come from Enugu state whether there are more capable and qualified persons elsewhere in the country? Chai!
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by pawesome(m): 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2012
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew...giv me 24hrs lite...dts all i need..shikenan

1 Like

Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Ugo660: 5:14pm On Oct 16, 2012
"Seputy senate president?" Hmm...dem dey tok say ESUT graduates wey dem prevent frm doing their NYSC no qualify 4 am; abeg, dis Statement wey dem make here qualify? Oboy, wia anti-gbaguan dey... E b lyk say e folo Sullivan go vacation...lolz
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by lekanwj(m): 5:16pm On Oct 16, 2012
Quota system again rearing it's head, this is one of the reasons why this country has failed to develop. I doubt if GEJ can withstand this political presure and get the best man from any state to do the job.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by chrisolive: 5:19pm On Oct 16, 2012
brokoto: I'm ashamed of this country. So appointments are no longer based on merit or capability but on 'zoning'? Are they telling us that the minister of power must come from Enugu state whether there are more capable and qualified persons elsewhere in the country? Chai!

My friend! That the governor who is a lawyer and a politician did not consult anyone before submitting the list of his political friend does not mean that Enugu does not have capable hands.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by bojar(m): 5:21pm On Oct 16, 2012
Seputy senate president?" Hmm...dem dey tok say ESUT graduates wey dem prevent frm doing their NYSC no qualify 4 am; abeg, dis Statement wey dem make here qualify? Oboy, wia anti-gbaguan dey... E b lyk say e folo Sullivan go vacation.

Funny but I aint gonna laff...
Check your qwerty key.. You should realize its a mistake.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by SkyBlue1: 5:23pm On Oct 16, 2012
chrisolive:

My friend! That the governor who is a lawyer and a politician did not consult anyone before submitting the list of his political friend does not mean that Enugu does not have capable hands.

That is not the point! Anyway, this is speculation so far, we will judge the nominee when announced based on his CV.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by emmabowin(m): 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2012
an architect as minister of power.no wonder in Nigeria doctors work in banks.

1 Like

Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by chukymoney(m): 5:32pm On Oct 16, 2012
Let GEJ replace Nnaji with any capable hands from the south-East
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Afam4eva(m): 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2012
chukymoney: Let GEJ replace Nnaji with any capable hands from the south-East
Endorsed.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by kenmusa: 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2012
Vita Abba is most qualified, he has the field experience and of course a fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers. Mr Agu is equally qualified and should be considered as an alternative. It has been observed that politicians from Enugu are focussed and determined. Another chance should be given to them again.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Policewoman(f): 5:39pm On Oct 16, 2012
Must it be from Enugu? He needs not search further. Let him try Anambra, Imo or any other S.E state. So many brains abound there. Afterall, Enugu is a SE state.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2012
Hmm...Udi happens to be my L.G.A. How come i have nt heard of this Mr. Agu. And why did Chime change his mind when told Agu was from Udi? IMO,whoever takes up the position must be able to redeem d power sector irrespective of the tribe

1 Like

Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 16, 2012
kenmusa: It has been observed that politicians from Enugu are focussed and determined. Another chance should be given to them again.
God bless u.u are a candid observer...focus & determination happens to be in our blood
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by scantee(m): 5:45pm On Oct 16, 2012
My beloved state! Who said we are not capable of providing a credible person? Do u want me to mention at least ten outstanding persons suitable for that position. God bless Enugu State. Proudly son of 042!!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Geomac: 5:47pm On Oct 16, 2012
chukymoney: Let GEJ replace Nnaji with any capable hands from the south-East
+1000, he should look beyond Enugu State
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2012
[b][/b]
kenmusa: Vita Abba is most qualified, he has the field experience and of course a fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers. Mr Agu is equally qualified and should be considered as an alternative. It has been observed that politicians from Enugu are focussed and determined. Another chance should be given to them again.
the bolded is not very true, our ex governor chimaroke, can not be said to be focused.

same goes for agbala and the other self centred slow pokes
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by excondido(m): 5:53pm On Oct 16, 2012
this type of practise will only produce a mediocre to a crucial ministry like power. a more competent hand should be brought on board instead of this pitiful sense of entitlement towards a particular state.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by chucky234(m): 5:54pm On Oct 16, 2012
Interesting,FG appointments are now by zoning and not merit,good one from our visionary leader.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by zeal500: 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
I simply wud go for the best hands no matter where the person is from so as to get the best.
The days of he/she is frm here is long over
if Gej want to achieve smth in the power sector, he shd get the best hand(s) in all his team even if they are all frm the same place and if he can;t find em here he shd check d diaspora
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 16, 2012
chrisolive:

You obviously didn't get my point. Anyway, its obvious you are either from Enugu state or you share the same zoning sentiments. I rest my case. . .
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by Nightshift(m): 6:27pm On Oct 16, 2012
Well, Coal City state must be proud that one if its gems has been able to show Nigeria where the lights are. The state's worthy son drew a map for Nigeria's future electricity hope. Nevertheless, they are certainly dozens of competent and serious professionals in the state who could follow the former power minister's footstep. My take on this issue is that someone like Nnaji, who isn't a PDP member would be a better option.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by princenonny(m): 7:22pm On Oct 16, 2012
Aguiyi u r a fool. Hw dare u bring agballa into dis thread. Bastard!!!!
aguiyi: [b][/b]
the bolded is not very true, our ex governor chimaroke, can not be said to be focused.

same goes for agbala and the other self centred slow pokes
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by thelastPope(m): 7:40pm On Oct 16, 2012
chucky234: Interesting,FG appointments are now by zoning and not merit,good one from our visionary leader.

You are displaying your stup1dity again around this forum. Go and buy a copy of the constitution. Its only N200. Or you can download the free app and educate yourself. Each state has to produce a minister according to the constitution. Dundee!
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by triaophant: 7:49pm On Oct 16, 2012
Most of us just comment without doing proper research on issues. The President as it currently stands cannot deny Enugu State its own quota of a ministerial slot because it is provided for in the current 1999 Nigerian Constitution. There is a provision that each of the 36 States and FCT must have a minister to reflect the Federal Character Principle. However the President has the exclusive priviledge of allocating ministries to nominees who scale through the Senate screening. At most the President may allocate another ministerial slot outside the Power ministry to Enugu while another may take the slot if he deems fit.
On the nominations made by the Governor without consulting other stake holders from Enugu State, if it is true may cause some problems reason being that the Senators from may prevent the nominees from scalling the Senate screening. Therefore the must be a consensus.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by juman(m): 8:06pm On Oct 16, 2012
Abeg, the president should not give the defence or internal minister to any yorubas. The security situation is bad.
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by AZeD1(m): 8:20pm On Oct 16, 2012
Since power is being privatized why do we need a power ministry? It should be scrapped, let the regulatory body be in charge of the management of the power sector
Re: Enugu May Lose Power Ministry by SamMilla1(m): 8:49pm On Oct 16, 2012
All we need is constant electricity.
Dear Gej, if you can achieve that by hiring a Zambian, go for it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Am More Than A Conqueror – Mrs Ajimobi / Women In Black Protest In Bori, Rivers State (Photos) / Gbajabiamila: Amendment Of CCB Act An Error, Will Not See The Light Of Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.