Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! (3156 Views)

Tension In Gabon As President Bongo Is Said To Be Of Nigerian Heritage / Libya Vs. Gabon / Omar Bongo Of Gabon Is Dead. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 4:42am On Oct 17, 2012
li Bongo has decided to turn Gabon into a bilingual country: French-English. According to Alain Claude BiliƩ Bi Nze, his spokesperson, Gabon is using the Rwandan model to become both part of the Francophonie and the Commonwealth. Apparently, Ali Bongo is going to Rwanda this Friday to learn the Rwandan experience with bilingualism.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by ektbear: 4:48am On Oct 17, 2012
Up English

Down French
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 4:50am On Oct 17, 2012
french puppets grin

are getting some sense these days
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Mynd44: 6:12am On Oct 17, 2012
Good for them
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:37am On Oct 17, 2012
Dey should just drop french and adopt English as an international language.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Nayah(f): 9:21am On Oct 17, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: Dey should just drop french and adopt English as an international language.
Gabon has now issues with France lool but for me both French and Engish are "borrowed" languages and we Africans need to impose ourselves with our own language then use english as a business language and support that's all. That's why when I read some if you like Onila talking about "puppet" while she's writting in English that's make me laugh, is English a Nigerian local language? Think about it
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 9:35am On Oct 17, 2012
Nayah:
Gabon has now issues with France lool but for me both French and Engish are "borrowed" languages and we Africans need to impose ourselves with our own language then use english as a business language and support that's all. That's why when I read some if you like Onila talking about "puppet" while she's writting in English that's make me laugh, is English a Nigerian local language? Think about it

french Africans obsession of the language is way higher than their anglophone counterpants

cant u see how u french Cameroonians don't want to speak English but yet quick to claim your country is bilingual grin
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 17, 2012
onila:

french Africans obsession of the language is way higher than their anglophone counterpants

cant u see how u french Cameroonians don't want to speak English but yet quick to claim your country is bilingual grin

I have always been piqued by how French-speaking African countries remain glued to the coat-tails of "mother France". Why, for instance, do countries like Benin and Cameroon continue to wire their economies to keep trading with France (and giving French companies unnecessary priority in awarding of contracts and company registration) rather than seeking regional integration with their non-French-speaking neighbours? The sooner African countries put aside the vestiges of their colonial heritage and come together to harmonize trade policies and trade/transport links across the continent to improve intra-African trade, the better for all of us.

Good move, Gabon.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Afam4eva(m): 10:03am On Oct 17, 2012
Gabon definitely wants to expand it's tentacles unlike other Francophone countries. It has nothing to do with their likeness for the English language over French.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Nayah(f): 10:04am On Oct 17, 2012
onila:

Have you ever been to Cameroon Onila? I don't think so...you're just talking about "street talks" if you were been out there you'd be completely suprised to see how biliguism works in our country. I'm a FRENCH Cameroonian and I do speak english together with Spanish, same thing for Cameroonpride and we're many in this case! Our Prime Minister and all diplomatic structure in our country, including our school are bilingual, you just focused on the fact that majority of population speaks French with analysing deeply our sociological situation.

Plus I'm sorry to repeat that but for me you're just doing the same thing you don't want others do: being alienated ! Sorry but English is NOT a Nigerian local language. Mandarin language ( the most Chinese language used for Business) is now more and more attractive and required for Business does it mean we should turn to speak their language too? What about OURS this is the main question, and not this superficial one you're wondering to make you feel " better" towards others countries. Nigerians are English puppets too, sorry but fact.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Nayah(f): 10:07am On Oct 17, 2012
HNosegbe:

I have always been piqued by how French-speaking African countries remain glued to the coat-tails of "mother France". Why, for instance, do countries like Benin and Cameroon continue to wire their economies to keep trading with France (and giving French companies unnecessary priority in awarding of contracts and company registration) rather than seeking regional integration with their non-French-speaking neighbours? The sooner African countries put aside the vestiges of their colonial heritage and come together to harmonize trade policies and trade/transport links across the continent to improve intra-African trade, the better for all of us.

Good move, Gabon.
France have NOT the biggest part of market in Cameroon, if you updated your information you'd know that China, Brasil and others countries have more and more increasing part of market in our country. Now I don't want to repeat myself I invite you to read my previous comment about the fact that you people are still as most of African countries " puppets".
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Nayah(f): 10:16am On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva: Gabon definitely wants to expand it's tentacles unlike other Francophone countries. It has nothing to do with their likeness for the English language over French.
Exactly but none country has friends but has interests! The Gabon case is not a new one I don't know why people are talking about this like if there's any "new" Cameroon is historically and officially bilingual and Rwanda has turn to english partners so there's no big deal, except the fact that Gabon is experiencing diplomatic "crisis" with France now
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 17, 2012
Nayah:
France have NOT the biggest part of market in Cameroon, if you updated your information you'd know that China, Brasil and others countries have more and more increasing part of market in our country. Now I don't want to repeat myself I invite you to read my previous comment about the fact that you people are still as most of African countries " puppets".

I was making a general point about the need for African countries, AS A WHOLE, to identify goods and services that we can trade among ourselves so as to keep as much of our collective wealth in the continent. Of course foreign investment is needed, of course we need to integrate into the global economy, but at the same time we should adopt a policy of looking among ourselves and asking a question: What can I buy from a fellow African country that I'm currently buying from outside the continent?

You don't see a Spaniard purchasing a Toyota made in Japan over French-made Renaults or German BMWs. That's what regional integration is about.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 1:49pm On Oct 17, 2012
Nayah:
Have you ever been to Cameroon Onila? I don't think so...you're just talking about "street talks" if you were been out there you'd be completely suprised to see how biliguism works in our country. I'm a FRENCH Cameroonian and I do speak english together with Spanish, same thing for Cameroonpride and we're many in this case! Our Prime Minister and all diplomatic structure in our country, including our school are bilingual, you just focused on the fact that majority of population speaks French with analysing deeply our sociological situation.

Plus I'm sorry to repeat that but for me you're just doing the same thing you don't want others do: being alienated ! Sorry but English is NOT a Nigerian local language. Mandarin language ( the most Chinese language used for Business) is now more and more attractive and required for Business does it mean we should turn to speak their language too? What about OURS this is the main question, and not this superficial one you're wondering to make you feel " better" towards others countries. Nigerians are English puppets too, sorry but fact.

I hate it when you patriotic cameroonians just love to lie instead of sayng the truth. patriotism shldnt blind you

I have studied alot abt cameroon..I cant be fooled

Cameroonpride is still not even fluent in english

if cameroon was bilingual why was I banned for speaking english in a major cameroonian group

the french cameroonians detest the english cameroonian accent. and wld do anything 2 avoid having the english crap accentaccent

A french cameroonian just studies english just the way an ivorian or togolese will study english in a private school for more opportunities abroad
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Afam4eva(m): 1:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
onila:

I hate it when you patriotic cameroonians just love to lie instead of sayng the truth. patriotism shldnt blind you

I have studied alot abt cameroon..I cant be fooled

Cameroonpride is still not even fluent in english

if cameroon was bilingual why was I banned for speaking english in a major cameroonian group

the french cameroonians detest the english cameroonian accent. and wld do anything 2 avoid having the english crap accentaccent
What's the name of the group where you were banned. It could possibly have been a French Cameroonian group.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 2:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva:
What's the name of the group where you were banned. It could possibly have been a French Cameroonian group.

yes it was a french cameroonian group. the dumb french puppets refused 2 reply 2 my posts because it was written in english. the members of the group hated me just because I refused to write in french

they kept on calling me "Biafra" "Biafra" grin I never knew the french cameroonian called the south western camerooonians "biafra"

they were like you bamenda( a town in english cameroon), biafra girl speak french or go to the english cameroonian site

cameroon is just like canada(vice versa|) where one part speaks english and a major part speaks french

nothing abt being bilingual

they love their french language-the french language is known to be the sexiest, most romantic language on earth
thats why most french africans have alot of pride speaking french
they dont want to loose their lovely french accents

Rwanda is the only french African country that has tried to stay away from anything french because of the histroy btw french and rwanda-rwanda genocide
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Afam4eva(m): 2:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
onila:

yes it was a french cameroonian group. the dumb french puppets refused 2 reply 2 my posts because it was written in english. the members of the group hated me just because I refused to write in french

they kept on calling me "Biafra" "Biafra" grin I never knew the french cameroonian called the south western camerooonians "biafra"

they were like you bamenda( a town in english cameroon), biafra girl speak french or go to the english cameroonian site

cameroon is just like canada(vice versa|) where one part speaks english and a major part speaks french

they love their french language-the french language is known to be the sexiest, most romantic language on earth

Rwanda is the only french African country that has tried to stay away from anything french because of the histroy btw french and rwanda-rwanda genocide
Their insults may have been out of place but it's usually part of the rules in most sites to stick to a particular language or be banned. So, don't see it as a personal vendetta against English speaking peeps. It's a French forum, chikena.

French Cameroonians usually refer to people from Southern Cameroon(Bamenda) and Nigeria(Igbos) as Biafrans.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 2:07pm On Oct 17, 2012
Its the english cameroonians who struggle to be bilingual,the french Cameroonians are not interested grin

some might learn english in school but they will NEVER speak english in public tongue
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by tpia5: 2:12pm On Oct 17, 2012
onila:

hmm, you dont know.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 2:14pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva:
Their insults may have been out of place but it's usually part of the rules in most sites to stick to a particular language or be banned. So, don't see it as a personal vendetta against English speaking peeps. It's a French forum, chikena.

French Cameroonians usually refer to people from Southern Cameroon(Bamenda) and Nigeria(Igbos) as Biafrans.

but if the country was "bilingual" that means u are allowed to speak either English or french undecided
its not like i was an active member. I was just asking some questions. the hostility i got from there just shows francophone africans aint interested in english. some of them cldnt even speak english
go 2 major cameroonians sites or groups on facebook its all in french

some cool cameroonian dude was like "onila you do have interesting topics but u shld try write in french because the francophone cameroonians hate speaking english" shocked shocked

they refer english cameroonians as "biafra" Naija cousins

I have studied alot abt this country so I know
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 2:14pm On Oct 17, 2012
tpia@:

hmm, you dont know.
smiley
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Afam4eva(m): 2:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
onila:

but if the country was "bilingual" that means u are allowed to speak either English or french undecided
its not like i was an active member. I was just asking some questions. the hostility i got from there just shows francophone africans aint interested in french. some of them cldnt even speak english
go 2 major cameroonians sites or groups on facebook its all in french

they refer english cameroonians as "biafra" Naija cousins

I have studied alot abt this country so I know
Don't also forget that the French Cameroonians are the majority while their Anglophone counterparts are the minority. So, expect to see more French being used in Cameroonian forums. I think it was even a crime on Nairaland not to converse in any language other than English. But i think they've rested that rule now.

Btw, Cameroon is bi-lingual by default.
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 2:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
edit shocked shocked
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by slimming: 2:22pm On Oct 17, 2012
God help them o
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 2:22pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva:
Don't also forget that the French Cameroonians are the majority while their Anglophone counterparts are the minority. So, expect to see more French being used in Cameroonian forums. I think it was even a crime on Nairaland not to converse in any language other than English. But i think they've rested that rule now.

Btw, Cameroon is bi-lingual by default.

Nigeria is an english country

I don't see the country as bilingual. thats why the english cameroonians feel discriminated by the french cameroonians
its a fact that the french cameroonians hate english with a passion
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by panafrican(m): 1:30am On Oct 18, 2012
What is Gabon up to ? Rwanda became bilingual then invaded Congo (DRC).
Let's check the map to see who Gabon could invade,maybe cross Cameroon to invade Nigeria? grin
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 1:39am On Oct 18, 2012
rwanda aint even bilingual. .english has taken over
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by panafrican(m): 2:12am On Oct 18, 2012
ekt_bear: Up English

Down French
It is about swinging between French- speaking africans and English -speaking africans now ? here are some stereotypes.

From French-speaking africans.
English speaking african dress like country people, kind of outdated. How can someone have yellow shoes?Uncivilized,They eat junck food, they only speak English and don't know how to speak 2nd grade level French.We should civilize them a little bit by teaching them some French because English is dumb ! They love scams and drug trafficking, Kind of uneducated and live in a close container thinking that they are best.The only thing good about English-speaking africans is one does not see any of them robbing people at gunpoint.grin

From some English-speaking africans.
French-speaking are way behind, they don't know how to do business, they are French puppets and will remain as such.They cannot unit. French -speaking africans are stingy, they have an attitude and want to be in control.French-speaking africans should speak English because the whole world has chosen English. Everything is expensive in French-speaking african countries, they live beyond their income limits. Besides they run their mouths all the time, kind of lazy, want three meals a day and they enjoy two breaks at work. grin
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by ektbear: 2:15am On Oct 18, 2012
Nayah is it true that you hate your fellow English-speaking cameroonians
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 2:16am On Oct 18, 2012
panafrican:
It is about swinging between French- speaking africans and English -speaking africans now ? here are some stereotypes.

From French-speaking africans.
English speaking african dress like country people, kind of outdated. How can someone have yellow shoes?Uncivilized,They eat junck food, they only speak English and don't know how to speak 2nd grade level French.We should civilize them a little bit by teaching them some French because English is dumb ! They love scams and drug trafficking, Kind of uneducated and live in a close container thinking that they are best. The only thing good about English-speaking africans is one does not see any of them robbing anybody at gunpoint. grin

From some English-speaking africans.
French-speaking are way behind, they don't know how to do business, they are French puppets and will remain as such.They cannot unit. French -speaking africans are stingy, they have an attitude and want to be in control.French-speaking africans should speak English because the whole world has chosen English. Everything is expensive in French-speaking african countries, they live beyond their income limits. Besides they run their mouths all the time, kind of lazy, want three meals a day and enjoy having two breaks at work. grin

grin they sld stick 2 their french anyways

I like the fact they are french puppets grin

u hardly french speaking africans in big brother Africa because of obsession of the french language
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 18, 2012
Onila fatigue toi meme undecided btw to all dumb nigerans here u better get educated cuz you dont even know that ur country iss officially bilingual
Re: Gabon Is Now A Bilingual Nation! by onila(f): 6:50am On Oct 18, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: Onila fatigue toi meme undecided btw to all dumb nigerans here u better get educated cuz you dont even know that ur country iss officially bilingual

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets All Laugh At Sarah Palin! / Russia Strikes Ukraine With Its Newest Hypersonic Missiles For First Time / "Africa Is A Cemetery"- Vladimir Putin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.