Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible (10155 Views)

Ebola: Don’t Accept Victims, Lagos Urges TB Joshua / Lagosians In Highbrow Areas May Be Drinking Own Faeces –investigation / Fertility Clinics Buy Sperm From Lagosians For N50,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by jidsoon(m): 10:13am On Oct 17, 2012
RATHER than drive to the shop, club, church or mosque or wherever else that is not distant, the Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola is urging Lagosians to walk instead and reap numerous benefits doing so.

Such benefits include saving on fuel costs, reducing the polluting emissions into the atmosphere and improvement in general health, lowering blood pressure and improving the heart condition and mental health.

The governor, who was represented by his Special Adviser on the Environment, Dr. Taofeek Folami, spoke on Saturday at the 2012 Walk for Nature organized by the Ministry of the Environment in collaboration with the Nigerian Conservation Foundation (NCF) with the theme: Sustainable Energy for Us All, which was held at State House, Marina, Lagos.

He said the energy consumption pattern at present was not sustainable and that since the transport sector was a major contributor to the depletion of the ozone layer and thus climate change and its devastating consequences across the world, walking on short journeys becomes a delightful alternative.

“Walking as a natural exercise endears us to nature, it gets us close to God and helps our body’, Fashola said.

The President Nigerian Conservation Foundation said the theme for the 2012 Walk for Nature was instructive, especially now that Nigeria cannot afford to sit-on-the-fence on the issue of global warming.

He commended the Lagos State government’s greening programme and called for the utilization of eco-friendly and renewable energy resources, such as solar energy which can be popularized as is happening in many parts of the world for the benefit of Nigerians.

Earlier, the Commissioner for the Environment represented by the Permanent Secretary, Mrs. Adebola Afun had also urged Lagosians to walk rather than driv, even as he noted that the construction of walkways on all major roads was an invitation to people in the metropolis, to, as much as possible, walk rather than drive.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101844:fashola-urges-lagosians-to-walk-rather-than-drive-whenever-possible-&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Afam4eva(m): 10:17am On Oct 17, 2012
How will they show people that they just purchased the latest Range Rover if they walk?

10 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 17, 2012
"ACTIVATING MY LEGGEDIS BENZ" cheesy"

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by nifemi01(m): 10:30am On Oct 17, 2012
That's a nice suggestion by fashola.
Here is mine though, howabout u start moving around also with just two or three cars instead of the usual motorcade comprising over 10 cars.

15 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by excondido(m): 10:35am On Oct 17, 2012
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by excondido(m): 10:41am On Oct 17, 2012
the usual 'less is more, u should not worry about food' style of governance we get in 9ja. smh
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by redsun(m): 10:41am On Oct 17, 2012
Actually from ojulegba to akpangbo is a walking distace,people doesnt need vehicles for that.Walking helps to check potbelly,it saves money,it reduces congestion on the roads and saves the environment.

But the government has to define foot paths and cycles paths properly,so that they can be made safe for users.

12 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 17, 2012
i am totally in support + plus a complete ban on okadas.
gone are does days growing up in lagos when one can walk home from bus-stop but these days we rather take okada.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Biggyd2: 10:55am On Oct 17, 2012
I agree 100% with BRF. Using our 202 is no problem but the roads should be made safe for pedestrians and security guaranteed.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 17, 2012
nifemi01: That's a nice suggestion by fashola.
Here is mine though, howabout u start moving around also with just two or three cars instead of the usual motorcade comprising over 10 cars.

Last time I checked, Fashola's "convoy" didn't exceed three vehicles. Direct your angst at the man with the bowler hat.

14 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 17, 2012
HNosegbe:

Last time I checked, Fashola's "convoy" didn't exceed three vehicles. Direct your angst at the man with the bowler hat.

Correct

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Emmaville(m): 11:34am On Oct 17, 2012
fashola, thumbs uo for u man. u wise! grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by otokx(m): 11:35am On Oct 17, 2012
Has Fashola created dedicated walkways?
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by MadCow1: 11:38am On Oct 17, 2012
Make OKADAor Danfo kill dem abi?!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by cheddarking(m): 11:39am On Oct 17, 2012
In that HOT Lagos Sun?

This man want make boys black well well o...

By the time all man dudu finish, first time vistors to Lagos might mistake it for Accra...

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by garrigangster: 11:41am On Oct 17, 2012
HNosegbe:

To be impartial, GEJ's convoy is at most 5 vehicles and no sirens. You can confirm yourself. Meanwhile Gov Ajimobi of Oyo State uses almost 9 vehicles on his convoy

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by emmaduks(m): 11:42am On Oct 17, 2012
i will walk when all the danfo conductos and drivers stop smooking ganja

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Mankind8(m): 11:43am On Oct 17, 2012
Na true, How many centimetre him don waka?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by proudlyafrican(m): 11:44am On Oct 17, 2012
Fashola`s advice is coming very late for me oooo because ever since the rain started dropping,the roads in and out my house are no longer good for driving,besides due to pot holes and poor drainage resulting to flooding in Lagos State the traffic jam have also increased...So i ceased driving and started trekking where my Toyota leg can do it otherwise Okada becomes the alternative.
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by eduson55(m): 11:48am On Oct 17, 2012
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by OkwaIfugo(m): 11:48am On Oct 17, 2012
Fashola now you said work no one will work again.
haba you for know talk am.
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 17, 2012
garri_gangster:
To be impartial, GEJ's convoy is at most 5 vehicles and no sirens. You can confirm yourself. Meanwhile Gov Ajimobi of Oyo State uses almost 9 vehicles on his convoy

Ok. I'll find out when next he comes to Lagos, that is if his aides don't block all access roads in the process.
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by UNLEASHED(m): 11:52am On Oct 17, 2012
Subscribing
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 17, 2012
Pure rubbish jhor!!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 17, 2012
Can't imagine myself trekking under this burning sun! Gosh!
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by DidiLove1: 11:56am On Oct 17, 2012
redsun: Actually from ojulegba to akpangbo is a walking distace,people doesnt need vehicles for that.Walking helps to check potbelly,it saves money,it reduces congestion on the roads and saves the environment.

But the government has to define foot paths and cycles paths properly,so that they can be made safe for users.

Gbagaun!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by Perocom(m): 11:56am On Oct 17, 2012
This is a very good advice from the Governor. In nigeria we like showing off. If we follow this advice, there will be less hold-ups on the road and our bodies will be exercised. Naija for life. shocked
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by AkinDavid2: 12:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
If he didn't use the phrase "If possible" i would have asked him to lead by example..imagine " if possible walk from Akowonjo to Obalende..."if possible from Ikeja to Palm-groove and if possible entourage to walk from Governors house to....hmmm, just thinking to where?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by naturalwaves: 12:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
HNosegbe:

Ok. I'll find out when next he comes to Lagos, that is if his aides don't block all access roads in the process.

The dude is telling you the absolute truth. Infact, Fashola does not make use of Sirens.
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by owhizkid: 12:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
rafhell: i am totally in support + plus a complete ban on okadas.
gone are does days growing up in lagos when one can walk home from bus-stop but these days we rather take okada.
Йą true U̶̲̥̅̊ talk Ŏọ̥ọ̥º°˚˚˚°º [b] D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ are noow nuisance to the osciety:[/b]d privilege of okada has been abused
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by amaba: 12:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
Lagosians walk becos ACN cannot fix d roads, poor drainagae 2 prevent ur car 4rm entering ditches & to start collecting "trekking tax"
Re: Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible by igbsam(m): 12:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
Why himself no dey walk from him house to alausa ? Nonsense. If he wants to lead example, he should park his cars and convoy then walk from home to his office. if him fit do am, i bet u, i will walk from my house to the island everyday to work.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For December 3 2020 In Nigeria / Wmans Safe Period: And How Safe / COVID-19: Itel Mobile Partners With Lagos Food Bank To Give Back To Ipaja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.