Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,871 members, 7,798,916 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir (19846 Views)

Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? / Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by 9jaIhail(m): 11:26am On Oct 17, 2012
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has backed his literary colleague, Prof. Chinua Achebe, in the raging controversy over the roles of some prominent Nigerians during the Nigerian civil war.

Soyinka, in an interview published in The Telegraph of London, but obtained by THISDAY yesterday, said the Igbo were victims of genocide during the three-year civil war, which was fought to break up Nigeria.

Achebe had stirred the hornet’s nest in his civil war memoir, “There Was A Country”, when among others, he accused wartime Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon and the then Finance Minister, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, of carrying out a genocide against the Igbo.
The claim has generated considerable controversy, with many commentators accusing Achebe of re-writing history.

Soyinka, however, justified the secession bid and described Biafrans as “people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own.”

He also condemned religious militancy, saying now is the time to tackle Boko Haram, the insurgent group that has visited terror on the North, killing over 1,500 since 2009.
According to him, what Boko Haram is doing is not religion, but criminality.

He said: “All religions accept that there is something called criminality. And criminality cannot be excused by religious fervour. Let me repeat something I first said at the meeting organised by UNESCO a few weeks ago, which was prompted by the recent film insulting the religion of Islam and depicting the Prophet Mohammed in a very crass way.
“The first thing to say is that we do not welcome any attempt to ravage religious sensibilities. That can be taken for granted. But you cannot hold the world to ransom simply because some idiots chose to insult a religion in some far-off place which most of the world has never even heard of. This for me is a kind of fundamentalist tyranny that should be totally unacceptable.

“So a group calls itself the Boko Haram, literally: ‘Book is taboo’, the book is anathema, the book is a product of Western civilisation, therefore it must be rejected.

“You go from the rejection of books to the rejection of institutions which utilise the book, and that means virtually all institutions. You attack universities, you kill professors, then you butcher students, you close down primary schools, you try and create a religious Maginot Line through which nothing should penetrate.

“That’s not religion; that’s lunacy. My Christian family lived just next door to Muslims. We celebrated Ramadan with Muslims; they celebrated Christmas with Christians. This is how I grew up.

“And now this virus is spreading all around the world, leading to the massacre of 50 students. This is not taking arms against the state, this is taking up arms against humanity.”
He said the unrest in Nigeria following the Boko Haram insurgency had attained a critical mass and criticized the way the Federal Government was handling the terror war.

“The president of Nigeria is making a mistake in not telling the nation that it should place itself on a war footing. There’s too much pussyfooting, there’s too much false intellectualism of what is going on, such as this is the result of corruption, this is the result of poverty, this is the result of marginalization.

“Yes, of course, all these negativity have to do with what is happening right now. But when the people themselves come out and say we will not even talk to the president unless he converts to Islam, they are already stating their terms of conflict,” he added.
Soyinka said if religion were to be taken away from the world, he would be one of the happiest people in the world.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/soyinka-backs-achebe-on-civil-war-memoir/127

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by nanidee(f): 11:53am On Oct 17, 2012
No comments yet? . . . Strange undecided
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by eduson55(m): 12:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
breaking new!!!!!!!!

Obasanjo will be visiting Nigeria next week.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Afam4eva(m): 12:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
Soyinka is one Man i respect. He's a man that will always speak the truth and damn the consequences.

17 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by foyeks2001(f): 12:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva: Soyinka is one Man i respect. He's a man that will always speak the truth and damn the consequences.

What truth? That Awolowo killed them?

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Abali1(m): 12:37pm On Oct 17, 2012
Please this should be taken to the front page. NL Mod, take note.

I was actually praying and wishing that people like this man(Soyinka) should come out and speak up.
I'm one of those that believe that using hunger as a strategy for winning wars is a crime against Humanity. No matter how much we argue this "Policy", the fact remains that Nigeria committed Genocide against the Biafrans (Igbos in particular).

11 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by 9jaIhail(m): 12:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
I opened this thread thinking by now it would have made front page as the other topic made front page without delay (America blamed Gowon Ojukwu for hungry Biafrans) This Nairaland and moderators are danm bias and unfair to their self not to me.

12 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by eduson55(m): 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
they would rather make ''the picture of davido in london front page..
i no blame them sha.
i just come here when i have excess time.
9ja_I_hail: I opened this thread thinking by now it would have made front page as the other topic made front page without delay (America blamed Gowon Ojukwu for hungry Biafrans) This Nairaland and moderators are danm bias and unfair to their self not to me.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Evil can only triumph when good men fail τ̅o stop talkin & do sometin! i keep wonderin why dis soyinka man dnt want τ̅o contest τ̅o be president of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 17, 2012
9ja_I_hail: I opened this thread thinking by now it would have made front page as the other topic made front page without delay (America blamed Gowon Ojukwu for hungry Biafrans) This Nairaland and moderators are danm bias and unfair to their self not to me.
thank God it has finally made the front page!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ahmedwisdom: 2:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
why will they want to make it front page.I suggest u copy and paste it in response to every topic that makes it to front page for the next 1 week!!!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EkoIle1: 2:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
This redundant topic should have been deleted to start with...

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 17, 2012
ahmedwisdom: why will they want to make it front page.I suggest u copy and paste it in response to every topic that makes it to front page for the next 1 week!!!
GBAM!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by 9jaIhail(m): 2:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eko Ile: This redundant topic should have been deleted to start with...

I would not like to join issues with your type, i am sure you know your type and dictate them when u see one. Imbe_cile Garage monkey.

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by logica(m): 2:18pm On Oct 17, 2012
Jenams: i keep wonderin why dis soyinka man dnt want τ̅o contest τ̅o be president of Nigeria
Ha ha. Keep wondering. As if you would vote for him.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 17, 2012
He said BEFORE the war, not DURING the war...

Everyone knows Wole Soyinka don't really like the Northerners(born to rule mentality) and their religion - and I see why he's biased against them..
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by logica(m): 2:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
9ja_I_hail: but obtained by THISDAY yesterday, said the Igbo were victims of genocide during the three-year civil war, which was fought to break up Nigeria.

Soyinka, however, justified the secession bid and described Biafrans as “people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own.”
Can any discerning mind see the difference between the highlighted in red? Stup!id journalists at it again. Obviously the genocide Soyinka referred to (the section highlighted in red) was the killing of Igbos in the North BEFORE the Civil War began. That was then changed to "DURING" completely changing Soyinka's words.

Mind you, Soyinka's sentiment are not much different from the prevailing Yoruba sentiment BEFORE the ill-conceived march towards Lagos and attack on the Mid-West changed all that.

12 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by slimming: 2:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
shymexx: He said BEFORE the war, not DURING the war...

Everyone knows Wole Soyinka don't really like the Northerners(born to rule mentality) and their religion - and I see why he's biased against them..

ok
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by manny4life(m): 2:27pm On Oct 17, 2012
The revelations is becoming clearer by the day, need i say it's interesting as well.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Geomac: 2:28pm On Oct 17, 2012
shymexx: He said BEFORE the war, not DURING the war...

Either before, during or after the war, he has made his points
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Bluekite: 2:30pm On Oct 17, 2012
my bad wrong thread
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by E20BILLION(m): 2:30pm On Oct 17, 2012
He never back Achebe on Awolowo's involvement.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by klax(m): 2:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
The jobless criers has come again with his silly post to heat up the house. Joblessness is a real bad thing and can make some a pure lunatic.

Seun or any moderator in the house kindly block this i d i o t who came here again today to raise this nonsense issue. Civil is dead and that is the end of the story whoever want to die because of civil 1966 can go and hug transformer. I'm so sick and angry waking up everyday to see a better thing to read and talk about on this site than a topic that will ends up as tribal jabs and stupidity.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
'if religion
were to be taken away from
the world, he would be one
of the happiest people in
the world' ...seconded

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Bluekite: It is official, the whole Nigeria people have gone mad, even auto-tune could not save the toto dick, just imagine if she did not use it
you well so?
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by MadCow1: 2:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Soyinka is a Nobel Prize winning drug addict and Yoruba cultist...

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Intrepid1(m): 2:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eko Ile: This redundant topic should have been deleted to start with...

So sayeth a tribalistic little cu.nt.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ajoguegbe(m): 2:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
Let's bury the hatchet. Learn from our past and plan for the future. Nigeria is blessed

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by 9jaIhail(m): 2:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
logica:
Can any discerning mind see the difference between the highlighted in red? Stup!id journalists at it again. Obviously the genocide Soyinka referred to (the section highlighted in red) was the killing of Igbos in the North BEFORE the Civil War began. That was then changed to "DURING" completely changing Soyinka's words.

Mind you, Soyinka's sentiment were not much different from the prevailing Yoruba sentiment BEFORE the ill-conceived march towards Lagos and attack on the Mid-West changed all that.

Are you mad of something? Why do you quote me with the highlighted part? Am i soyinka or do i work with thisday newspaper, i even attached the link from where the statement was stated on this thread, How hard is it for you to click your mouse on the link and find out if it was stated on the news or not. If you quote me again for rubbish sake i maybe aggressive on my next respond to you.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 2:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
Dayokanu and Co should find a real role model in Soyinka. Ever since, i read one of his internationally acclaimed "Wailing Wall" where he uses religion to symbolize politics. The Nigerian government is represented by a vulture, always hovering around the carcass that is Nigeria. He earned my admiration.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by logica(m): 2:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Are you mad of something? Why do you quote me with the highlighted part? Am i soyinka or do i work with thisday newspaper, i even attached the link from where the statement was stated on this thread, How hard is it for you to click your mouse on the link and find out if it was stated on the news or not. If you quote me again for rubbish sake i maybe aggressive on my next respond to you.

Thanks.
Your papa dey mad. You put up a post. If I quote your post, is it ThisDay that will show? You better go get help at ARO. Please respond very aggressively. E no go better for you if you don't.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EbubeGid(m): 2:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tribalism has been the enemy of nigeria. we always support our tribesmen on issues whether they are right or wrong. it's very hard to find nigerians who live their lives without prejudice and tribal sentiments. Soyinka is one of the rare nigerians who is not controlled by this. LONG LIVE TO YOU SOYINKA.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Long Queue This Morning At Mobil Filling-Station Akowonjo Lagos - Pics / Dagogo: Hold Wike Responsible If Anything Happens To Me / GEJ Didnt Attend The NLC/TUC Meeting? David Mark Did? : Is This True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.